Analysis Best 22 for 2019?

Gives me a funny feeling that perhaps EVW will be the one to make way to accommodate that, which I wouldn't want to see at all considering I think EVW is our best medium defender.
"Come this way Brad, we've got a special surprise for you, but first put this on......"

firing-squad-guns-shooting-death-penalty-capital-punishment-300x200.jpg

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
You're missing a certain amphibian in your best 18, let alone bench, let alone 'next in line' list, tZ. Otherwise that looks a decent side, but I would be surprised if Scott doesn't play Atley and JMac as long-term favourites, and Pittard as a new recruit.

Your team does raise an interesting point though, especially as they're your whipping boys, but Wright and JMac are clearly favourites of Scott, and he usually always plays new recruits, which means Pittard. But it seems as though there's no way that all those three as well as LMac, and as well as EVW fit in the same side.

Gives me a funny feeling that perhaps EVW will be the one to make way to accommodate that, which I wouldn't want to see at all considering I think EVW is our best medium defender.
EVW was running 7th in b&f at the time if his injury. His performances were clearly rated.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
EVW was running 7th in b&f at the time if his injury. His performances were clearly rated.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
That's true, and I hope it plays out that way.

Whatever happens, you would think there's going to be at least 2 quality medium defenders with lots of AFL experience playing in the VFL.

I find it astounding that Trent Dumont is rated by Champion Data as one of the best wingers in the comp and comes 6th in our BnF yet misses out on peoples best 22.

I think Dumont sneaked up on everybody (incl. supporters) in the second half of last season. People generally haven’t come to terms with him actually being a genuine star yet. The Champion Data results sort of came out of the blue. Hopefully, he kicks on (a la Jacobs - without the injuries) next year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sydney thought they were replacing Hannebary with Clarke. They really shouldve tried to get Dumont. He will be the next Hannebary. Unsuspecting, talented gut runner who accumulates, plays inside/out and distributes the ball cleverly.

All the best to Clarke though. He's a good kid and hope he continues to improve up north.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sydney thought they were replacing Hannebary with Clarke. They really shouldve tried to get Dumont. He will be the next Hannebary. Unsuspecting, talented gut runner who accumulates, plays inside/out and distributes the ball cleverly.

All the best to Clarke though. He's a good kid and hope he continues to improve up north.
Blakey will make up for it. They don't deserve pity.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The new experienced 4 guys will all be given first crack in the 18 - this means there is really only 1-2 spots up for grabs assuming all players ex Daw are available.

The 22 will therefore look like this

B. Williams Tarrant Wright
HB McMillan Thompson Pittard
C Hall Tyson Polec
HF Atley Wood Dumont
F Simpkin Brown JZ
R Goldy Higgins Cunners

Int - Anderson, Jacobs, LDU.

The 22nd player will come down to issues like 2nd ruck options, another tall forward being needed or another mid depending upon match ups. Come mid season my 22nd player would be Larkey or Zurhaar but McKay or Durdin will be chosen early assuming Durds can get enough fitness in. McKay will be given first round in Thommo's absence but Thommo will come straight back in for Round 2.

Walker, Ahern and EVW are in the mix for the initial emergencies. LMac, Garner, Turner, the Rat won't be in the 22 - these guys could well go a long way back if T Thomas, Taylor, Scott or Wilkinson show some early season form. Good quality depth at the club now across the half back line and mids.

Key forwards are the issue and that's makes Larkey a crucial prospect for us. His form progress (and/or Daw's recovery) will be key factors for where we finish this year.

That is a squad of 28-30 players that should make top 4.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The new experienced 4 guys will all be given first crack in the 18 - this means there is really only 1-2 spots up for grabs assuming all players ex Daw are available.

The 22 will therefore look like this

B. Williams Tarrant Wright
HB McMillan Thompson Pittard
C Hall Tyson Polec
HF Atley Wood Dumont
F Simpkin Brown JZ
R Goldy Higgins Cunners

Int - Anderson, Jacobs, LDU.

The 22nd player will come down to issues like 2nd ruck options, another tall forward being needed or another mid depending upon match ups. Come mid season my 22nd player would be Larkey or Zurhaar but McKay or Durdin will be chosen early assuming Durds can get enough fitness in. McKay will be given first round in Thommo's absence but Thommo will come straight back in for Round 2.

Walker, Ahern and EVW are in the mix for the initial emergencies. LMac, Garner, Turner, the Rat won't be in the 22 - these guys could well go a long way back if T Thomas, Taylor, Scott or Wilkinson show some early season form. Good quality depth at the club now across the half back line and mids.

Key forwards are the issue and that's makes Larkey a crucial prospect for us. His form progress (and/or Daw's recovery) will be key factors for where we finish this year.

That is a squad of 28-30 players that should make top 4.
No Ahern... hmmm.... disagree heaps.

You're missing a certain amphibian in your best 18, let alone bench, let alone 'next in line' list, tZ. Otherwise that looks a decent side, but I would be surprised if Scott doesn't play Atley and JMac as long-term favourites, and Pittard as a new recruit.

Your team does raise an interesting point though, especially as they're your whipping boys, but Wright and JMac are clearly favourites of Scott, and he usually always plays new recruits, which means Pittard. But it seems as though there's no way that all those three as well as LMac, and as well as EVW fit in the same side.

Let’s hope Scott finally stops playing Macmillan and Wright his plodder favourites

It’s EVW and Murphy’s time

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Team played a lot of good footy last yr
But the Coughing up was bad
Coming out of the backline, going fwd..We lacked skill

Main culprits turner Williams Clarke but most of the team really can’t ignore JZ and Cunners 1 step kicks

So 2019 Turn on the Quality
Must play ahern EVW ldu as the New favorites

Turner McKay EVW
Murphy Daw Polec

Higgins Cunners Ahern
Goldy Anderson Dumont

Garner Brown Jack
Hall Tarrant Wood

Simpkin LDU Tyson Scott

Time for an update:

Turner Tarrant EVW
Murphy McKay Zuhraar

Polec Cunnington Higgins
Goldy Anderson Dumont

Garner Brown Atley
Hall Wood Jack

IC: Tyson, Ahern, Simpkin, LDU/Campbell

Out: Daw, Scott
In: Atley, Zuhraar, potentially Campbell for height. We'd be ****ed if Goldy went down without a backup.

B: Williams McKay EVW (Pittard)
HB: Macmillan Tarrant Wright
C: Polec Higgins Anderson
HF: Atley Wood Hall
F: Simpkin Brown Ziebell
R: Goldstein Cunnington Jacobs
I: Dumont Tyson McDonald Ahern (Turner)
Emer: Turner Pittard LDU

Garners interrupted preseason will see him start in the VFL.
Turner just misses out though Brad has his favorites and he could easily swap
Turner for Ahern and also Pittard for EVW as Brad favors recruits and Ahern might be eased into the season again along with EVW. Pittard although has also had an interrupted preseason so it raises the question mark.
Zurhaar too will start in the VFL along with Walker.
Thompson suspension means McKay gets a go and Majak obviously an unknown.

At their best JMac, Wright and McDonald are locks. They are however all similar types. Brad clearly sees them as best 22 but will be interesting to see if their likeness works against them going into the season.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Okay, I cannot break it down to 22, so it's 23 until the pre-season form is revealed.

Williams, Tarrant, Thompson
MacMillan, McKay, McDonald
Hall, Jacobs, Polec
Garner, Wood, Atley
Turner, Brown, Ziebell

Goldstein, Higgins, Cunnington

Anderson, Simpkin, Dumont, Ahern, Tyson

If EVW bounces back strongly, then you can throw him in the mix too.

Okay, I cannot break it down to 22, so it's 23 until the pre-season form is revealed.

Williams, Tarrant, Thompson
MacMillan, McKay, McDonald
Hall, Jacobs, Polec
Garner, Wood, Atley
Turner, Brown, Ziebell

Goldstein, Higgins, Cunnington

Anderson, Simpkin, Dumont, Ahern, Tyson

If EVW bounces back strongly, then you can throw him in the mix too.

That is pretty close to spot on barring something unforseen in pre season (and obviously Thompson rd 1 gives a slight opening for another). Garner is arguably also a spot up for grabs until he can make it through to Rd 1.

That's a very solid team and it's hard to see a case for 1-2 stalwarts not being under the pump this year from that list unless we have a horror injury run.

BTW - I also wouldn't be surprised if LDU is on that list sooner rather than later. It all hinges on how much his running capacity has improved over the pre season. He's inside but has more than enough tricks with his agility and marking IMO that he might only need a look in and then be very hard to dislodge.

Back