Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely he starts third in the pecking order after the way Ryan finished 2018.

Abbott might be limited as a player. But his will and intent already appear sharper than Zac's. And I think the club is well and truly fed up with getting owned in the ruck while our player seems to be competing with limited intensity. Can't imagine there will be any games in 2019 for a ruck who isn't going full throttle as often as possible. And given Stanley started this year ahead of Smith (based on their preseasons), you can't see that being easily reversed before Round 1 2019 either.

So hopefully all three of them turn up ready to pour it on next year. In particular, the late '18 incarnation of Rhys looked very promising for mine.

You mean injured again?

Presumimg we get Sam Sturt, Marlion Pickett, Connor Idun and Oscar Brownless

Bews Blicavs Stewart
Tuohy Henderson Henry
Pickett Duncan Kelly
Cockatoo Hawkins Parfitt
Dahlhaus Ratagolea Ablett
Stanley Dangerfield Selwood
S.Selwood, Menegola, Rohan Smith
EM Cunico, Kolo, Narkle, Fogarty, Constable, Abbott, O'Connor Sturt, C.Guthrie, Simpson, Jones, Z.Guthrie, H.Taylor, Brownless, Idun, Miers, Parsons

Play C.Guthrie in the twos as a tagger to replace S.Selwood in time (defense free zone for him)
If we don't get Pickett, then Cunico on a wing
Kolo in the twos to play solely as the key back to replace Henderson when he finishes up (or before on form)
Close checks on Sturt, Brownless and Idun for promotions on form
If Rohan plays like in Sydney then replace with Constable

Presumimg we get Sam Sturt, Marlion Pickett, Connor Idun and Oscar Brownless

Bews Blicavs Stewart
Tuohy Henderson Henry
Pickett Duncan Kelly
Cockatoo Hawkins Parfitt
Dahlhaus Ratagolea Ablett
Stanley Dangerfield Selwood
S.Selwood, Menegola, Rohan Smith
EM Cunico, Kolo, Narkle, Fogarty, Constable, Abbott, O'Connor Sturt, C.Guthrie, Simpson, Jones, Z.Guthrie, H.Taylor, Brownless, Idun, Miers, Parsons

Play C.Guthrie in the twos as a tagger to replace S.Selwood in time (defense free zone for him)
If we don't get Pickett, then Cunico on a wing
Kolo in the twos to play solely as the key back to replace Henderson when he finishes up (or before on form)
Close checks on Sturt, Brownless and Idun for promotions on form
If Rohan plays like in Sydney then replace with Constable
Idun will be a long way off, will take at least 1-2 seasons to be able to read the play and adapt, but there is good foundations there imo.
Wouldn't play Smith, Stanley and Ratugolea - would play either Stanley or Smith with Ratugolea as the Fwd/Ruck option.
Would consider Atkins as our last rookie pick just to improve the Bottom 6, or consider another mature state league player, but not sure who else yet.
We may find next season that Fogarty, Narkle, Cunico may push out Scooter.
I also think Miers will be banging heaps of goals in the VFL in this season, so watch this space. This will keep pressure on Dahlhaus to perform.

Who are we expecting to step-up from the 2nd-4th year players on the list?

I'm expecting noticeable improvements from Fogarty, O'Connor, Narkle, Constable this season.

I'm also expecting improvements from the more mature types in Cunico and Abbott, pushing hard for Best 22.

I have low expectations from Scooter, Taylor, Parsons, Jones, Simpson* (*even though on 2 year deal). These guys unfortunately are the next group that are susceptible to list culling/retirmements at end of next season.

Hoping we see GAJ about 70-80% forward time, with 20-30% on ball and probably towards the end of the quarters when the opposition on-ballers are resting or tiring.

Need to see Jelwood to be tested further as a HBF to extend his career if possible.

Who are we expecting to step-up from the 2nd-4th year players on the list?

I'm expecting noticeable improvements from Fogarty, O'Connor, Narkle, Constable this season.

I'm also expecting improvements from the more mature types in Cunico and Abbott, pushing hard for Best 22.

I have low expectations from Scooter, Taylor, Parsons, Jones, Simpson* (*even though on 2 year deal). These guys unfortunately are the next group that are susceptible to list culling/retirmements at end of next season.

Hoping we see GAJ about 70-80% forward time, with 20-30% on ball and probably towards the end of the quarters when the opposition on-ballers are resting or tiring.

Need to see Jelwood to be tested further as a HBF to extend his career if possible.
Like a lot of what you are saying there
Selwood will stay in the middle though
I reckon with rule changes, playing Smith and Stanley with Ratagolea will be more possible
Be hard to stop Stanley, Ratagolea and Hawkins up forward with Positional starts
Also reckon Simpson will surprise going forward. Very skilled young kid

Bews Blicavs Henderson
Tuohy Taylor Stewart
Duncan Kelly Parfitt
Cockatoo Ratagolea Rohan
Dahlhaus Hawkins Dangerfield
Stanley Ablett Selwood
S.Selwood, Menegola, Narkle, Henry
EM Cunico, Kolo, Fogarty, Constable

I still think that Taylor has much to offer. Last year he was significantly impacted by injury. Would like to see how he starts the season on the back of a full pre-season. Happy for Kolo to replace him if he is not up to it.
Would like to see them persist with Henry up forward. I think that he could be quite damaging as the third tall, however also happy to see him used down back.

Bews Blicavs Henderson
Tuohy Taylor Stewart
Duncan Kelly Parfitt
Cockatoo Ratagolea Rohan
Stanley Ablett Selwood

I still think that Taylor has much to offer. Last year he was significantly impacted by injury. Would like to see how he starts the season on the back of a full pre-season. Happy for Kolo to replace him if he is not up to it.
Would like to see them persist with Henry up forward. I think that he could be quite damaging as the third tall, however also happy to see him used down back.
Very good team.
MC loves Kolo- I can't see him not in the 22, but can't see who he replaces in your 22!?
Maybe Rohan out, Tuohy wing, Parfitt FP, Kolo HBF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good team.
MC loves Kolo- I can't see him not in the 22, but can't see who he replaces in your 22!?
Maybe Rohan out, Tuohy wing, Parfitt FP, Kolo HBF
Yes that is a great team. I don't know about Harry though, i can see him struggling for pace and will his body manage to play out a whole season. Think Kolo will get his chances, every team has their injuries and doubt the side Lewy put up can go injury free all year.

Yes that is a great team. I don't know about Harry though, i can see him struggling for pace and will his body manage to play out a whole season. Think Kolo will get his chances, every team has their injuries and doubt the side Lewy put up can go injury free all year.
True, the inevitable injuries will have their usual impact. Is it true Cocky is currently injured? Somebody mentioned 2d ago...can't be significant, no melt threads yet.

Bews Blicavs Henderson
Tuohy Taylor Stewart
Duncan Kelly Parfitt
Cockatoo Ratagolea Rohan
Stanley Ablett Selwood

Taylor out for Kolo
Cocky for one of your other emergencies
Scooter for another of your emergencies

My understanding was that he complained of soreness behind his knee and was pulled from training as a precaution.

That doesn't equate with "He's done a calf".....lets not over dramatise the situation...
Have you been taking lessons from Neil Balme?

My understanding was that he complained of soreness behind his knee and was pulled from training as a precaution.

That doesn't equate with "He's done a calf".....lets not over dramatise the situation...
This board loves a good overreaction

In Cocky's case, forgive us all for expecting the worst. He is Crockatoo until proven otherwise

In Cocky's case, forgive us all for expecting the worst. He is Crockatoo until proven otherwise
Forever the cynic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back