Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Better than a bench of S.Selwood, Bews, Tuohy and Menegola
You have Narkle in... 3 games in the best in 10 weeks. Selwood had more than double that. Constable has barely got in the bests in the last 6 weeks.

Pay attention to the reserves would be my suggestion.

Constable can rot in the twos for the rest of the season for all I care. Most overrated player on our list. By a fair margin.
Yeh, that team that won 15/16 was garbage wasn't it?
coincidental. I just stated in the review thread why it is so (imo).

The game plan has been figured out. We make your changes and we get the same result.

You have Narkle in... 3 games in the best in 10 weeks. Selwood had more than double that. Constable has barely got in the bests in the last 6 weeks.

Pay attention to the reserves would be my suggestion.

Constable can rot in the twos for the rest of the season for all I care. Most overrated player on our list. By a fair margin.

coincidental. I just stated in the review thread why it is so (imo).

The game plan has been figured out. We make your changes and we get the same result.

I'd prefer that he continue to develop into a decent player myself. No one is saying he's Chris Judd, but he's a ball magnet and a very good extractor. His endurance needs ongoing work which is a negative. But he's a better decision maker under pressure and a better clearance player than Selwood and Menegola. Narkle's best 3 games have actually happened in the last month. But good one you for skewing it to look worse than it is. He's in form and deserves a chance.

What's your best 22 btw?

Some footballers actually don’t suit playing reserves , ie Steve Johnson , so taking note of the reserves is irrelevant unless you know what they want

I'd prefer that he continue to develop into a decent player myself. No one is saying he's Chris Judd, but he's a ball magnet and a very good extractor. His endurance needs ongoing work which is a negative. But he's a better decision maker under pressure and a better clearance player than Selwood and Menegola. Narkle's best 3 games have actually happened in the last month. But good one you for skewing it to look worse than it is. He's in form and deserves a chance.

What's your best 22 btw?
Who would you say were Freo’s best 3 players yesterday? Fyfe, Walters and Hill.

The latter two murdered us in space. Given his issues on spread, we cannot put Constable on the MCG. If it were my choice he’d be done for 2019. Big preseason and hopefully has a better tank next year.

Bews Blicavs Kolo
Stewart Taylor Henry
Clark Dangerfield Duncan
Dahlhaus Ratugolea Parfitt
Ablett Hawkins Rohan
Stanley Selwood Kelly
O’Connor Menegola Guthrie Miers

Atkins stiff. Henderson stiff. Tuohy out. No Smith.

I’d consider dropping Guthrie for one player. Cockatoo if he gets through 2-3 VFL games. That’s my Hail Mary throw.

Who would you say were Freo’s best 3 players yesterday? Fyfe, Walters and Hill.

The latter two murdered us in space. Given his issues on spread, we cannot put Constable on the MCG. If it were my choice he’d be done for 2019. Big preseason and hopefully has a better tank next year.

Bews Blicavs Kolo
Stewart Taylor Henry
Clark Dangerfield Duncan
Dahlhaus Ratugolea Parfitt
Ablett Hawkins Rohan
Stanley Selwood Kelly
O’Connor Menegola Guthrie Miers

Atkins stiff. Henderson stiff. Tuohy out. No Smith.

I’d consider dropping Guthrie for one player. Cockatoo if he gets through 2-3 VFL games. That’s my Hail Mary throw.

So we have 2 players different. Hardly earth shattering.

Narkle's best 3 games have actually happened in the last month. But good one you for skewing it to look worse than it is.
No skew.

Narkle:

Narkle.JPG

Constable:

constable.JPG

Selwood:

Selwood.JPG

Stark contrast. Look at Constable ineffective disposal counts too. Does this really scream pick me in the seniors for finals?

So we have 2 players different. Hardly earth shattering.
Maybe not in raw numbers, but I really am finding the collective jizzing over Narkle and Constable grating. Neither have fired a shot this season.
but even then I'm not sold on Parfitt either, would rather Cunico if he were fit, ditto Cockatoo. He's another that leaves me cold.

I think there are 3 changes from Saturdays winning side assuming recovered from not long term injuries

Clark in for Atkins - simply a better player

Occonor in for Henderson ( who has done ok ) but on a firm mcg i think he is a touch slow

Rohan in for Menengola - who looks way underdone - they are playing him as a half forward trying to ease him back into it - reminds me a bit of Hinkley in 95 ( who also missed alot of games through injury - they to tried him as a half forward - but he was way underdone - and GF day he was hopeless - thats the same risk with Menengola

Blicavs stays in the ruck - bit like Trent West ( who was a very inferior player ) but he had that purple patch of 15 -20 games - where he didnt just do the rucking - but followed that up as a ruck rover - so you had an extra midfielder - important that

Narkle keeps his spot - he was very impressive

No skew.

Narkle:

View attachment 720385

Constable:

View attachment 720386

Selwood:

View attachment 720387

Stark contrast. Look at Constable ineffective disposal counts too. Does this really scream pick me in the seniors for finals?

Maybe not in raw numbers, but I really am finding the collective jizzing over Narkle and Constable grating. Neither have fired a shot this season.
but even then I'm not sold on Parfitt either, would rather Cunico if he were fit, ditto Cockatoo. He's another that leaves me cold.

Mmmmm.....

Constable will win you over but probably struggles to get in this year now.

Menagola or Atkins.
Constable has won me over, he'll be a great player for the club.
Just not in 2019

I think there are 3 changes from Saturdays winning side assuming recovered from not long term injuries

Clark in for Atkins - simply a better player

Occonor in for Henderson ( who has done ok ) but on a firm mcg i think he is a touch slow

Rohan in for Menengola - who looks way underdone - they are playing him as a half forward trying to ease him back into it - reminds me a bit of Hinkley in 95 ( who also missed alot of games through injury - they to tried him as a half forward - but he was way underdone - and GF day he was hopeless - thats the same risk with Menengola

Blicavs stays in the ruck - bit like Trent West ( who was a very inferior player ) but he had that purple patch of 15 -20 games - where he didnt just do the rucking - but followed that up as a ruck rover - so you had an extra midfielder - important that

Narkle keeps his spot - he was very impressive
So who plays FB, Taylor?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Constable will win you over but probably struggles to get in this year now.
I'm not sure that he will hang around next year if he doesn't get a game. Unless behind the scenes he gets promised something.

B: O'Connor Blicavs Kolo
HB: Tuohy Taylor Stewart
C: Duncan Kelly Parfitt
HF: Miers Ratugolea Dahlhaus
F: Ablett Hawkins Rohan
R: Stanley Dangerfield JSelwood
I: Henry CGuthrie Clark Menegola

For comparison, the R23 team for the Carlton game can be found here:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/teams?round=23

The differences between the two are:

Missing from R23 team:
Kolo (INJ)
Clark (INJ)
Menegola

Selected in R23 team:
Henderson
Bews
Narkle

Narkle has played well in his 2 games, so I wouldn't be overly disappointed if he stayed in the side ahead of Menegola.

Atkins has played a lot of games this season, but I don't think he deserves a place ahead of Kolo/Clark/Menegola/Narkle.

Same side as today, with an unlucky Hendo out for Kolo. Clark and Atkins will have to have phenomenal VFL games to push anyone out. Bews/O'Connor/Henry (with Tuohy down back), the only ones I think are likely to make way. I like Tuohy forward though, as he's such a good kick and a big body.

Reckon it looks like this in Week 1, if Clark/Atkins play. If neither play, then it's just Kolo in for Hendo and we keep the same structure.

OUT: Henderson, Bews (Tuohy goes back)
IN: Kolo, Clark/Atkins

B: O'Connor, Blics, Kolo
HB: Tuohy, Taylor, Stewart
C: Duncan, Danger, Sel
FO: Stanley, Kelly, Guth
HF: Ablett, Rata, Dahl
F: Rohan, Hawkins, Miers
INT: Henry, Narkle, Parfitt, Clark/Atkins

EMG: Atkins/Clark, Menegola, Henderson, Bews

Some footballers actually don’t suit playing reserves , ie Steve Johnson , so taking note of the reserves is irrelevant unless you know what they want
Steve johnson was booting multiple bags of 6 goals as a 18 year old in the reserves. Basically forced himself into the afl team he was so dominant in the reserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back