Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the team is getting much more needed grunt. It is obvious that we get knocked off the ball way too easily, especially in finals.
Players like Constable, Dahlhaus, Atkins, Rohan, Clark, Cocky, Sav Rat and Miers have it in spades.
The team with these players is in a welcome transition.

What I'm gathering looking at these Best 22s that people (myself included) are putting up is that there's gonna be a whole lot of grumpy fans on selection night when Kolo is named ahead of any number of guys. I don't dislike Kolo by any means, I should clarify, but it seems there's a bit of consensus here that he's dropped out of our Best 22. A victim of Blicavs rise, Henry's arrival and Harry's durability. Just no spot for him, especially as I'd have Henderson in front of him still as a backman and any number of guys ahead of him on the wing.

Yep, in hindsight trading for Henderson wasn’t a good idea. It caused headaches when we hand Lonners and now it’s causing the because we have Blicavs and Kolo.

It probably would have been better spent looking for a ruckmen, small forward or outside midfielder.

If all fit:

B: Tuohy, Blicavs, Henry
HB: Clark, Taylor, Stewart
C: J.Selwood, Constable, Parfitt
HF: Ablett, Ratugolea, Kelly
F: Rohan, Hawkins, Dahlhaus

Foll: Stanley, Duncan, Dangerfield

Int: C.Guthrie, Menegola, Narkle, Cockatoo

Nice balanced lineup.

Henderson is fit and I would like to see him in the back six... probably at the expense of Henry.

I think the team is getting much more needed grunt. It is obvious that we get knocked off the ball way too easily, especially in finals.
Players like Constable, Dahlhaus, Atkins, Rohan, Clark, Cocky, Sav Rat and Miers have it in spades.
The team with these players is in a welcome transition.

Would like another big mid to complement Constable, really nobody else resembles his like.
Think Brownless is better than first thought and hopefully other kids start finding their feet.

We might find out if Clark has the right stuff in Round 1, if Stewart's comments are shared by the MC...
"His temperament around the ground, he’s not shy about coming forward, he’s not afraid of taking risks and he backs himself in, which is great,” Stewart said.
“He’s not afraid to make a mistake which for a lot of young kids coming into the system, that’s what holds a lot of them back, it’s the fear of failure and making mistakes. He’s as tough as nails and is a really, really good kid.”

We might find out if Clark has the right stuff in Round 1, if Stewart's comments are shared by the MC...
"His temperament around the ground, he’s not shy about coming forward, he’s not afraid of taking risks and he backs himself in, which is great,” Stewart said.
“He’s not afraid to make a mistake which for a lot of young kids coming into the system, that’s what holds a lot of them back, it’s the fear of failure and making mistakes. He’s as tough as nails and is a really, really good kid.”

That innate confidence .. its a good place to start ..lets hope that it isn't wrung out of him.

Zuthrie might be skinny etc - but i think the above bolded is his no 1 problem

Hes got alot of talent - but he just hasnt got that self confidence- he gives you the impression that hes a shy kid - who doesnt really think he should be out their . . Id even like Zac to play with a bit of arrogance - because he is certainly good enough .

Zuthrie might be skinny etc - but i think the above bolded is his no 1 problem

Hes got alot of talent - but he just hasnt got that self confidence- he gives you the impression that hes a shy kid - who doesnt really think he should be out their . . Id even like Zac to play with a bit of arrogance - because he is certainly good enough .
Same with O'connor I reckon to some degree.

Same with O'connor I reckon to some degree.

Spot on - that is his biggest problem - and Oconnor is quick to give the ball off to a teammate - i wish he would have the mindset ( like he was back in Ireland ) - im the star - im the no 1 man - and im going to play like it - eg if ive got the ball - im going to run and take multiple bounces - i dont think he is game to do that - but i wish he would .

Getting closer now ...

B: Bews - Blicavs - Stewart
HB: Tuohy - Taylor - Clark
C: J. Selwood - Constable - Duncan
HF: Ablett - Hawkins - Parfitt
F: Atkins - Ratugolea - Rohan
R: Stanley - Kelly - Dangerfield
I: Henry - Dalhaus - Menegola - Cockatoo
E: Brownless - Guthrie - Henderson

Taking marks from forward 50's is so important .. id consider Henry forward if Rohan cant get it done. I have mentioned Brownless as an Emg but there are lots of player that could be here on form. Fogarty and Cunico and Jones and Narkle. If Constables form drops off then one of these would get a game..and Cockatoo is obvious fitness dependant
Kill to be able to field that side,nice balance,no passangers and some youth.

Has anyone reported on Shlensog ? It must be obvious to all and asundary that Scott doesnt rate the ruck .. have we had a fair dinkum dip at trying to get a quality ruck since he has been in charge? We have added Fort which is not bad in itself but I dont get the feel he is the new Ottens.

I'm not sure it's obvious if he rates him or not. As a rookie ruck he was never going to play this year, or likely next. Why start talking him up in the media when all you're doing is putting pressure on a kid who won't be ready? We'll see how he does in the vfl then judge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a Crows supporter, was impressed with #6 , I forgot his name, is he a rookie and destined for VFL or a chance to start with the big club.
Cheers and good luck this season.

Pick 15 last year being mentioned as in the frame for round 1 - Jordan Clark

That should solely depend on who is in better form at the time. Age and experience shouldn't sway them from that.

I worry about Constable's versatility though, isn't it either on ball or nothing with him? where else can we play him? Scooter is our number 1 tagger when fit, or do we think the new 6 6 6 rules reduce the need for taggers this year?

I worry about Constable's versatility though, isn't it either on ball or nothing with him? where else can we play him? Scooter is our number 1 tagger when fit, or do we think the new 6 6 6 rules reduce the need for taggers this year?

Think this is moot now SS has done his hammy. Again.

People have said he is slow bad kick can only play on ball but the main thing Constable can find the footy

He is no Ferrarri ... he more like a ute than a sports car ... but having watched a few Ferrarri struggle to start in finals of recent years... we can do with a few guys who we can just throw into the frey and tell them put the overalls on and go to work.

If Constable is named R1 how likely would he be to hold his spot when Scooter returns?

Lets cross that bridge etc. SS has never been able to play a season of footy for us.. and probably never will. CC is the future ..its only an matter of how ready he is now ..and if he performs. If he does the job in the first 4 weeks against Pies , Dees , Crows and GWS then we will have our answer

People have said he is slow bad kick can only play on ball but the main thing Constable can find the footy
Ill go with this blokes opinion..... journos from the Craddy and bigfooty nerds opinions come a distant last

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-12-05/constable-looking-for-midfield-break

"I think that's one of Charlie's big parts of his game and also his kicking is very precise. Ninety per cent of the time if he's got the ball, he's going to find a target with his kicking.

"To have someone that can win the ball but also has excellent skills is a really good tonic for us"

Ill go with this blokes opinion..... journos from the Craddy and bigfooty nerds opinions come a distant last

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-12-05/constable-looking-for-midfield-break

"I think that's one of Charlie's big parts of his game and also his kicking is very precise. Ninety per cent of the time if he's got the ball, he's going to find a target with his kicking.

"To have someone that can win the ball but also has excellent skills is a really good tonic for us"

Ive heard that being said before..but I have not yet seen it too much..lets hope the more he plays the more it comes to the fore.

Yep, in hindsight trading for Henderson wasn’t a good idea. It caused headaches when we hand Lonners and now it’s causing the because we have Blicavs and Kolo.

It probably would have been better spent looking for a ruckmen, small forward or outside midfielder.

True enough. But it's some seriously handy hindsight we have now.

When Hendo came at the end of '15, Kolo was a young draftee who was not seriously being considered for KPD duties. He didn't show much at all as a possible KPD until his opportunity to show his wares there came along in early 2018.

And Blitz was still a couple of years from finding his place in the backline. Harry was turning 30 in the next season, and Domsy was about to be 32. Made lots of sense to me to be bringing in a very capable KPD to provide some ongoing stability in the back six.

Also, at that stage, you have Henry still a year off even being drafted onto the rookie list. And Stewart still 12 months from coming in as an AA-revelation by his second year in the AFL system.

So we definitely look unbalanced back there now. But without the mostly unforeseen rise of both Kolo and Blitz as potential KPD's (and the ascent of a rookie pick and another mature-ager), we would now have only Hendo as an experienced KPD (or third tall) option back there that's likely to play footy beyond 2019.

Ironically for those who want to decry the club's recruiting (with the odds and ends picks we keep assembling in the top half of the ladder), we somehow look to have several long-term options for KPD roles on the list already.

So we've ended up better off than we would have otherwise expected. But even our best prognosticators here surely wouldn't have expected two rookie picks, a P40 mature-ager and a P41 to be the basis for our tall/third tall stocks down back for the next few seasons.

If even one of those hadn't worked out, I figure Hendo is a massively required player. As it is, any serious injuries come along and I can see him being a really important cog.

He's already been a handy pick-up in my view (last year's injury frustration, notwithstanding). And I still can see him justifying the deal we did to bring him in before his time in the hoops is over.*

* The Tankers handed the pick to GWS, who then traded the pick to Brisbane. Who drafted Jarrod Berry at #17. And this is of course a draft that we look to have aced in any case. All with picks in the second round or later. Parf, Stewart, Rata, Narkle and Abbott in the main draft. With Henry, Zuth, JJ and SOS in the rookie draft that followed.

Last edited:
Think this is moot now SS has done his hammy. Again.

While Scooter out helps Constable its not a moot point. For eg they can easily move say a Parfitt or Menegola into the mids full time and bring in another fwd (narkle miers etc) or say Guthrie to mid and bring in another defender. Constables lack of versatility will make it a bit harder for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back