Prediction Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't post much but have been scrolling through the forum for a while now, considering everyone is fit this is how I would line up (haven't taken draft into consideration yet)

FB: Harbs - Thompson - Ballard
HB: Ah Chee - Hombsch - Ellis
C: Weller - Swallow - Fiorini
HF: Corbett - Martin - Sexton
FF: Miller - Wright - Ainsworth

R: Witts - Brodie - Lyons
I: Miles - GHS - Machperson - Bowes

E: Holman - Burgess - Wigg - Dawson
Collins will walk into our backline and be very good IMO

I think Day will play full-forward
He seems to be much higher rated by the Club than the supporters
The club know the important roles he plays. Was a decoy for Lynch & Dixon for years to keep away the 3rd man up. He’s never going to get high stats but I’d love to see him have a crack as a deep target. He gives you something still when the ball comes to ground as well.

Here's my attempt for Rd1 2019 with no injuries and a full list. Incoming Draftees not included. Potshots welcome.:D

FB. Harbrow Thompson Collins
HB. Hanley Hombsch Wigg
C. Weller Bowes Swallow (C)
R. Witts Brodie Miles
HF. Sexton Wright Miller
FF. Martin Day Ainsworth
IC. Hor-Smith Holman Lyons Fiorini

Last edited:
Here's my attempt for Rd1 2019 with no injuries and a full list. Incoming Draftees not included. Potshots welcome.:D

FB. Harbrow Thompson Collins
HB. Hanley Hombsch Wigg
C. Swallow Bowes Weller
R. Witts Brodie Miles
HF. Sexton Wright Miller (C)
FF. Martin Day Ainsworth
IC. Hor-Smith Holman Lyons Ballard
Good team. Not a pot shot but Wigg is interesting.
2nd team I’ve also seen without Fiorini too. Competition for spots is healthy

Good team. Not a pot shot but Wigg is interesting.
2nd team I’ve also seen without Fiorini too. Competition for spots is healthy

Fiorini was an oversight on my part. Hmmmm! Need to bracket him with Ballard on the bench then.

If Wigg overcomes his injuries, and puts in a full pre-season, I think he'll be ideal coming off the HB flank. His ability to find targets was the reason, I believe, he was traded in last year. The replacement for KK in my opinion.

At the moment very difficult best 22. It really depends on preseason. How many mature recruits break into best 22? I could see two of Lukosius, Rozee/Rankine, Smith play round 1. I also see Bowes, Fiorini and Brodie as starters.

FB Harbrow Thompson Joyce
HB Hanley Collins Ballard
C Bowes Swallow Weller
R Witts Brodie Fiorini
HF Sexton Wright Macpherson
FF Martin Day Ainsworth
IC Miller Lyons Holman Burgess

At the moment very difficult best 22. It really depends on preseason. How many mature recruits break into best 22? I could see two of Lukosius, Rozee/Rankine, Smith play round 1. I also see Bowes, Fiorini and Brodie as starters.

C Bowes Swallow Weller
R Witts Brodie Fiorini
FF Martin Day Ainsworth
How many AFL game actually Hanley , MacPherson plays for GC to gain their place in best 22?

Last edited:
How many AFL game actually Hanley , MacPherson plays for GC to gain their best in best 22?
I am considering a healthy list. You can' really predict shoulder dislocation, broken leg. Macpherson before breaking his fibula was one of the best. Hanley against Richmond until he did hamstring again was one of the best.

I am considering a healthy list. You can' really predict shoulder dislocation, broken leg. Macpherson before breaking his fibula was one of the best. Hanley against Richmond until he did hamstring again was one of the best.
I get where you at but not playing does affect your touch,game plan ,players chemistry and fitness .

And it's the 18th October with 5 months still to go......no one has a crystal ball.....

I'm sure my team will change 50 times before then...
Way too early to predict best 22 ,let them train for pre season ,be healthy and available for selection .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t gotten around to looking at a best 22 yet, but what Im learning from this thread is that our depth has improved dramatically, although this is at the expense of our top tier of players getting worse. You could argue we go 30-32 players deep before you get to the projects or players just not up to it. Although you would hope that this sorts itself out and players on the fringe start making a claim for a locked in spot in the 22. But competition for spots in all parts of the ground will be fierce.

Haven't considered draftees because who knows what will happen.

FB: Harbrow - Thompson - Joyce
HB: Ballard - Collins - Hanley
C: Weller - Swallow (C) - Fiorini
HF: Martin - Day - Miller
FF: Colbert - Wright - Ainsworth
R: Witts - Brodie - Lyons
I: Miles - Sexton - Bowes - Young

I think Ah Chee and Holman are really close and if they put in a strong pre-season i'd happily put them in the best 22.

I don't know much about Burgess, Ellis and Hombsh but happy for them to be in there if they perform in the pre-season.
I still think Day has a space there up forward. Hopefully he'll kick more goals but i think he works well with Wright plus Colbert should also support.
It will be interesting to see where the draftees land i can't see someone like Lukosious fitting in round 1 but someone like Rozee or Smith could. Wigg is the great unknown and him GHS and Ellis where likely promised game time but i'm not sure how much they will get unless the injury monster strikes again.

You cant see lukosious fitting in? He'll win your best and fairest

Tougher than ever to pick a 22 at this time of year. There really looks to be multiple options at multiple positions on the ground, and likely a talented set of draftees to push our second and third year players. With pretty soft development historically, the preseason could see plenty of new faces overtake old faces. Who knows?

Maybe there aren't any world-beaters in our squad this year but hopefully there'll be a culture developing for our players to battle for selection.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

C Bowes Swallow Weller
R Witts Brodie Fiorini
FF Martin Day Ainsworth

I've always been a JJ fan but he was well down this year
If he doesn't lift his game there will be heaps of pressure from the mature age recruits

Harbrow. Thompson. Collins.
Bowes. Hombsch. Ah Chee.
Weller. Swallow. Hanley.
Martin. Day. Sexton.
Ainsworth. Wright. *Lukosius.
Witts. Miller. Lyons.
GHS, Fiorini, Brodie, Burgess.

Pretty strong 22. Rumours of your demise may be premature. Hopefully your injury problems abate.
Also Rozee vs Rankine? I hear Jack and Connor are best mates so that may help with player retention.

I've always been a JJ fan but he was well down this year
If he doesn't lift his game there will be heaps of pressure from the mature age recruits
No doubt JJ had down season. I was surprised he was not dropped. He showed something in 2017.

the NEAFL side

FB. Joyce Leslie Ballard
HB. Rischitelli Burgess Ah Chee
C. Dawson Ellis Schoenfeld
R. Nicholls Lonergan Scheer
HF. Young Corbett Powell
FF. Lemmens Crossley MacPherson
IC. Heron Nutting Draftee Draftee

Tell me you did not just write L8mm8ns
You know if you write his name in public there's a deal with the devil that says the selectors have to pick him if fit:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back