Prediction Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, so this is probably the best thread to put my pre-Draft Depth Chart in.

A couple of notes for those not overly familiar with the concept.
- a Depth Chart is a way to evaluate the List from a positional standpoint
- players may feature 2 or 3 times, eg. Sam Day is a KPF, Ruck backup and KPD
- injured players go off the Depth Chart
- the positions are designed to reflect modern AFL, not traditional Xs and Os, eg. Inside Mid = Centre/Rovers

This is my Depth Chart, but I am definitely open to feedback and advice because the Forum Hive Mind knows more about the 42 players and reasonable justifications are welcome. For example, Touk Miller gets bumped out of the starting line-up at inside mid, but justifies a place on the bench because he's first back up at high half forward and small forward. Similarly, Sam Day's triple threat status keeps him in the top 22 ahead of less dynamic Brayden Crossley, who can't compete well in defence. And so on.

So, what's the point? Well, firstly, it will provide a basis for forum members to choose their Best 22. Furthermore, in line with what Dew has been talking about this off-season's recruits being multi-positional players, so this Depth Chart aims to find every player's 2nd and potentially 3rd preferred position and where they fit in the general scheme of things. Obviously, while we all want 3 Jack Martins in our best 22, the objective is to name him at his best spot and as a backup in others. There's also a self-explanatory colour code which will be phased out after the draft.

Finally, I have included a 2nd ruckman in the top 22. The reason for this is that I believe the rule changes, 6-6-6 and ruckmen taking the ball out of ruck, will bring the necessity for an extra big man. I may abandon the 22 spot design and expand it, but for starters I'm keen to demonstrate how a Depth Chart can help select a best 22. For now my bench spots will carry a 2nd ruck, a 3rd outside mid, a 4th inside mid and a 3rd high half forward.

View attachment 579659

Nice presentation.

I've got some minor comments and questions - mostly about the depth - starting 22 looks pretty reasonable - I wouldn't go in with Crossley in addition to Wright, Day, Witts, Leslie, Thompson but thats just me. Would probably have Corbett or Ah Chee instead personally but otherwise my 22 would be very similar. I think Weller has to play on the wing. Whilst in your 22 we have a bit of pace on the flanks with Hanley, Martin, Weller, Ainsworth the midfield is pretty slow, Fiorini, Bowes, Holman as the outside mids / wingers won't burn the grass. I'd switch Weller and Holman.

Personally I don't think Jesse Joyce can play inside mid - interesting to see him there on the depth chart. I think he is a decent straight line player. Good with the ball in front of him, good spotting up a 30m drill kick from the halfback to the wing or into the middle. Not sure if he has the 360 degree awareness and toughness to play inside. I would have Brad Scheer in front of him and Josh Schoenfeld for inside mid role. Thought Scheer was quite good when he spent time in the centre square against the Cats rd 23 - 13 disposals, 1 centre clearance, 5 score involvements, 1 goal.

Also, are they ordered within position? - if so a bit rough to half Cal Ah Chee behind Connor Nutting for a half forward role and behind Heron as a small defender. (Has Heron played small defender in the NEAFL? as I thought he was mainly a small pressure forward when came into the seniors)

Do you think Chris Burgess will be playing primarily in defence? Seems like he has the ability to play both ends.

From your depth chart if/when Pearce Hanely gets injured - Harrison Wigg or Jack Hombsch would come in. Do you think this would be the case, or more likely to see Weller / Bowes shift back and a 2nd line mid/half forward comes in.

Nice presentation.

I've got some minor comments and questions - mostly about the depth - starting 22 looks pretty reasonable - I wouldn't go in with Crossley in addition to Wright, Day, Witts, Leslie, Thompson but thats just me. Would probably have Corbett or Ah Chee instead personally but otherwise my 22 would be very similar. I think Weller has to play on the wing. Whilst in your 22 we have a bit of pace on the flanks with Hanley, Martin, Weller, Ainsworth the midfield is pretty slow, Fiorini, Bowes, Holman as the outside mids / wingers won't burn the grass. I'd switch Weller and Holman.

Personally I don't think Jesse Joyce can play inside mid - interesting to see him there on the depth chart. I think he is a decent straight line player. Good with the ball in front of him, good spotting up a 30m drill kick from the halfback to the wing or into the middle. Not sure if he has the 360 degree awareness and toughness to play inside. I would have Brad Scheer in front of him and Josh Schoenfeld for inside mid role. Thought Scheer was quite good when he spent time in the centre square against the Cats rd 23 - 13 disposals, 1 centre clearance, 5 score involvements, 1 goal.

Also, are they ordered within position? - if so a bit rough to half Cal Ah Chee behind Connor Nutting for a half forward role and behind Heron as a small defender. (Has Heron played small defender in the NEAFL? as I thought he was mainly a small pressure forward when came into the seniors)

Do you think Chris Burgess will be playing primarily in defence? Seems like he has the ability to play both ends.

From your depth chart if/when Pearce Hanely gets injured - Harrison Wigg or Jack Hombsch would come in. Do you think this would be the case, or more likely to see Weller / Bowes shift back and a 2nd line mid/half forward comes in.
Short response before long = depth of existing players has been given before incoming players can be considered. Comments will be taken into consideration.

Possibles versus Probables

Probables/Incumbents
B: Harbrow, Thompson, Joyce
HB: Ballard, Leslie, Hanley
C: Weller, Swallow, Bowes
HF: Sexton, Wright, Martin
F: MacPherson, Day, Ainsworth
R: Witts, Brodie, Miller
I/C: Holman, Fiorini, Ah Chee, Young
Possibles
B: Heron, Collins, Hombsch
HB: Wigg, Burgess, Rischitelli
C: Powell, Miles, Schoenfeld
HF: Scheer, Crossley, Horlin-Smith
F: Lemmens, Corbett, Nutting
R: Nicholls, Ellis, Dawson

Who wins?
What kind of changes need to be made from the best available from the 2018 players?
Are there enough leaders in the first 22?
Is the backline tall enough?
Does the midfield need more guts? More pace?
Is this forward line the best to suit Dew's forward pressure game plan?
Would you go with the West Coast plan of carrying an extra ruckman?
Or would you try the Richmond plan of big defenders and mids?

Round 1 2019

Collins - Thompson - Joyce
Hanley - Hombsch - Harbrow
Weller - Swallow - Bowes
Corbett - Wright - Ainsworth
Sexton - Martin - Holman

Witts - Miller - Fiorini

Inter: Miles - GHS - Brodie - Ballard

My team post Lyons trade. Still like Martin as our FF.

Round 1 2019

Weller - Swallow - Bowes
Sexton - Martin - Holman

Witts - Miller - Fiorini

Harbrow Thompson Crossley
Hanley Hombsch Joyce
Weller Miles Bowes
Young Wright Sexton
Ainsworth Day Martin

Witts. Swallow Miller

I - Ah Chee , Fiorini, Horlin-Smith, Brodie

Last edited:
Hanley Hombsch Joyce
Weller Miles Bowes
Young Wright Sexton
Ainsworth Day Martin

Witts. Swallow Miller

Earmarking Crossley for a new role in defence. Interesting. Whats your thinking here?

First crack at it. going to look a bit different once the draft comes around I think.

Harbrow - Thompson - Collins
Hanley - Hombsch - Ballard
Weller - Swallow - Bowes
Ainsworth - Wright - Holman
Sexton - Day - Martin
Witts - Brodie - Fiorini
Miller - Miles - Young - GHS

First thoughts:
*Not a heap of kicking skills coming out of defence. Harbrow and Hanley can be erratic and not sure about Collins. Leaves the door open for Ah Chee and Joyce who would both be a big upgrade in that department.
*Haven't seen enough of Burgess/Corbett so not sure about their inclusion. Obviously things will become clear over the pre-season.
*Don't know who gets first crack as the 2nd tall forward. Day or Crossley? Am thinking about going a different way there if/when we bring in Lukosius.
*DMac comes in when/if he strings together a few pre-season/NEAFL games and shows his leg won't affect him.

Round 1 2019

Weller - Swallow - Bowes
Sexton - Martin - Holman

Witts - Miller - Fiorini

In love your half back line - very aggressive and ready to punch holes through opposition midfields. Strong inside mids and rotation. Are you thinking Ballard for the midfield, a la Bontempelli? I am!

Hanley Hombsch Joyce
Weller Miles Bowes
Young Wright Sexton
Ainsworth Day Martin

Witts. Swallow Miller

I'd love to see Crossley become like Westhoff for Port, streaking around the ground to lay hits, marking in contests, putting some steel into the defence and going forward to kick a few goals in between chopping out in the ruck and generally being a devastating player. Maybe off the bench though and at this stage Day or Burgess would be the better candidate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First crack at it. going to look a bit different once the draft comes around I think.

Harbrow - Thompson - Collins
Hanley - Hombsch - Ballard
Weller - Swallow - Bowes
Ainsworth - Wright - Holman
Sexton - Day - Martin
Witts - Brodie - Fiorini
Miller - Miles - Young - GHS

First thoughts:
*Not a heap of kicking skills coming out of defence. Harbrow and Hanley can be erratic and not sure about Collins. Leaves the door open for Ah Chee and Joyce who would both be a big upgrade in that department.
*Haven't seen enough of Burgess/Corbett so not sure about their inclusion. Obviously things will become clear over the pre-season.
*Don't know who gets first crack as the 2nd tall forward. Day or Crossley? Am thinking about going a different way there if/when we bring in Lukosius.
*DMac comes in when/if he strings together a few pre-season/NEAFL games and shows his leg won't affect him.
I think the tall backline approach is a popular one. My biggest concern is over who chops out in the ruck. Day and Wright seem too injury prone, while I wouldn't want to burn Crossley out too young either. Interestingly, Day and Wright always seem to win 8 hitouts with spooky regularity. Guess how many chopouts Leslie won during the Melbourne game where Wright went down early? He and Witts dominated Gawn and co in the ruck. Good to have options.

I'd love to see Crossley become like Westhoff for Port, streaking around the ground to lay hits, marking in contests, putting some steel into the defence and going forward to kick a few goals in between chopping out in the ruck and generally being a devastating player. Maybe off the bench though and at this stage Day or Burgess would be the better candidate.
Westhoffs elite endurance allows him to do that.
Just looking at Goobs don't think he is made of the same genes.
Be amazing if he could develop those skills though

He wouldn't be able to play the same minutes a Westhoff, you're quite right there. I just can't help but think that while we are swimming in talls that the coach needs to get the best out of each one. Ballard can play any position on the field and in a few years he could be getting in the conversation with Bontempelli, Fyfe and Cripps or even just be a spare swingman like Westhoff. He certainly has that same "I'm rooted and it hurts everywhere" expression on his face that Fyfe has, but he keeps on trucking and that's why I have him in my best 22.

Where's Crossley's niche? Ruck/forward for mine, but what does that look like in 2019 with the new rules. Can we carry 7 talls? Maybe Day and Crossley have to duke it out or else put them in the same forward line as Wright and see if it translates to goals.

I had Ballard as a flexible player who can fill in anywhere from HB to HF when required.
I like him up the flanks and out on the wing. Great mark overhead and delivers well by foot. Eventually, he'll join the midfield. I think Weller and Bowes will be in the mid rotation more and drag Ballard up the wing more. Depends on how pacy the wingers and flankers are going to need to be with this new 6-6-6 rule. Can you imagine the ball coming out of the centre square toward the boundary line in one on one situations between two wingers? What if the other bloke is Sam Powell-Pepper? If you are first to the ball, you'll need a teammate to be third to the scene or you'll turn it over.

Nicholls wont play much I'm guessing?

Break glass in case of emergency only.

Only if Witts injured and he's proved surprisingly resilient to date.

I would think that Nicholls comes in if Witts out but not a zero chance that they choose to go with a Crossley / Wright / Day rotation between forward line and ruck in that instance - probably depends who we are playing that week. If against Gawn/Pruess combo you'd have to bring in Nicholls, if playing Geelong or Bulldogs or a Ryder-less Port Adelaide then might choose the other option.

Break glass in case of emergency only.

Only if Witts injured and he's proved surprisingly resilient to date.

I would think that Nicholls comes in if Witts out but not a zero chance that they choose to go with a Crossley / Wright / Day rotation between forward line and ruck in that instance - probably depends who we are playing that week. If against Gawn/Pruess combo you'd have to bring in Nicholls, if playing Geelong or Bulldogs or a Ryder-less Port Adelaide then might choose the other option.
Nicholls will play JLT for sure

Round 1 Team Post Murdoch DFA

Weller - Swallow (C) - Bowes
Sexton - Martin - Holman

Witts - Miller (VC) - Fiorini

Inter: Miles - GHS - Brodie - Murdoch

In: Murdoch
Out: Ballard

Ballard comes out only because he is a 2nd year body, I have put a team out to be as competitive as possible early on with a lot of more mature bodies.

Ballard and a lot of other players will get their chance when the injury tsunami hits.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back