Prediction Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Just throwing an early one out there (some players obviously don't have them... yet :straining:)

B: J. Harbrow (31) / J. Hombsch (26) / C. Ah Chee (22)

HB: P. Hanley (31) / R. Thompson (28) / C. Ballard (20)

C: L. Weller (23) / T. Miller (23) / B. Fiorini (22)

HF: J. Lukosius (19) / P. Wright (23) / Bowes (21)

F: B. Ainsworth (21) / J. Martin (24) / A. Sexton (26)

R: J. Witts (27) / W. Brodie (21) / D. Swallow (27)

I/C: A. Miles (27) / A. Young (27) / J. Lyons (27) / N. Holman (24)

E: S. Day (27) / J. Joyce (22) / D. Macpherson (22) / G. Horlin-Smith (27) / C. Rozee (19) / B. Smith (19) / J. Corbett (23) / C. Burgess (23) / S. Collins (25) / J. Leslie (24) / X. O'Halloran (19) / M. Pickett (27)

Last edited:

TSG is pretty close to the money. I would probably have Corbett and Collins in, but it's hard to know for who. Maybe Hombsch and Ah Chee.

I would also like to see Day come in but it's hard to find a spot for him at the moment.

It will be interesting to know how long we'll have a healthy list for this year. That's when the value of guys like Miles and Horlin-Smith come in.

I feel like that 22 has some stars in it, but they're just not old enough to sustain it across whole games. Going to be a bleak season I think. Hopefully we can scratch up 6 wins. We got 4 wins with Lynch and Hall missing most of the season and May having a proper down year. Hopefully natural development can get us a couple more.

TSG is pretty close to the money. I would probably have Corbett and Collins in, but it's hard to know for who. Maybe Hombsch and Ah Chee.

I would also like to see Day come in but it's hard to find a spot for him at the moment.

It will be interesting to know how long we'll have a healthy list for this year. That's when the value of guys like Miles and Horlin-Smith come in.
Yeah I'd like to see how the mature agers go in the practice matches before I slip them into the best 22. I put Lukosius as the only teenager in purely to start getting get games into him. He can slot in on a flank or wing. We seem to have an abundance of talls but not quality talls.

I feel like that 22 has some stars in it, but they're just not old enough to sustain it across whole games. Going to be a bleak season I think. Hopefully we can scratch up 6 wins. We got 4 wins with Lynch and Hall missing most of the season and May having a proper down year. Hopefully natural development can get us a couple more.
Hopefully our 2019 draftees can all show some A grade qualities, and Bowes, Ainsworth, Brodie can continue on an upward trajectory. Need Martin and 2MP to have good seasons, Harbs and Thommo to stay on the park, and Hanley to get on the park. If we can win eight games we'll have done very well, but yeah something around 6 wins more probable.

I wouldn't have Aaron Young in the team.. but he played a game the coaches obviously liked last year.
Only had a handful of good games last year IMO.

I wouldn't have Aaron Young in the team.. but he played a game the coaches obviously liked last year.
Only had a handful of good games last year IMO.
Most of those bench players I've listed above I'd like to see replaced by our young guns when they earn their spots. Preseason is going to be interesting to see who Dew favours. Players like Lemmens might surprise us (well maybe not Lemmens) because Dew wants players who can meet his requirements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Harbrow - Thompson - Joyce
HB: Hanley - Collins - Weller
C: Bowes - Miles - Fiorini
HF: Martin - Corbett - Sexton
FF: Rankine - Wright - Ainsworth

R: Witts - Swallow - Brodie

I/C: Lyons - Miller - Macpherson - Ah Chee

Emergency: Smith (assuming we take him at 6) - Ballard - GHS - Holman - Burgess - Lukosius (because I just feel he's still on the skinny side, ease him in like Powell)

Last edited:
b: harbrow, thompson, joyce
hb: ballard, hombsch, burgess
c: hanley, lyons, miller
hf: sexton, corbett, martin
f: ah chee, wright, ainsworth
r: witts, swallow, weller
i/c: miles, brodie, bowes, fiorini

always seems hard at the start of the offseason when you've seemingly got a full list to work with, although i think it became clear towards the end of last season the players we had to play because of injury still need some time to develop (powell, crossley, etc.).

we've gone with a couple of big KPFs over the years, i'd like to give wright a crack at going solo, with corbett (and more than likely lukosius to some extent) acting as a more mobile half forward. too often with our play style of bomb it long would lead to our KPFs coming together at the fall of the ball and having no chance at taking a mark. hopefully a bit more of a flexible and dynamic forward line would mean better entries forward, but who knows. preseason form will play a big part, but for me i think day might find himself in the 2's. i think he plays a lot better down back (or can be handy in the ruck), so he could be at CHB instead of hombsch, or collins. won't really know until preseason for that one.

sounds like dew & co want a bit more flexibility with players being able to play different roles across the team, so not sure how my midfielder stacked interchange would fair up with that theory.

HB: Hanley - Collins - Ballard
C: Bowes - Miles - Weller
HF: Martin - Corbett - Miller

I/C: Lyons - GHS - Macpherson - Ah Chee

Emergency: Smith (assuming we take him at 6) - GHS - Holman - Burgess - Lukosius (because I just feel he's still on the skinny side, ease him in like Powell)
Forgot Fiorini

HB: Hanley - Collins - Ballard
C: Bowes - Miles - Weller
HF: Martin - Corbett - Miller

I/C: Lyons - GHS - Macpherson - Ah Chee

Emergency: Smith (assuming we take him at 6) - GHS - Holman - Burgess - Lukosius (because I just feel he's still on the skinny side, ease him in like Powell)
and sexton?

FB: Harbrow - Thompson - Ballard
HB: Lukosius - Collins - Weller
C: Fiorini - Swallow - Pickett
HF: Martin - Corbett - Sexton
FF: Lyons - Wright - Ainsworth

R: Witts - Brodie - Bowes

I: Miller - Hanley - Macpherson - Miles

E: Ah Chee - Burgess - Holman

Don't post much but have been scrolling through the forum for a while now, considering everyone is fit this is how I would line up (haven't taken draft into consideration yet)

FB: Harbs - Thompson - Ballard
HB: Ah Chee - Hombsch - Ellis
C: Weller - Swallow - Fiorini
HF: Corbett - Martin - Sexton
FF: Miller - Wright - Ainsworth

R: Witts - Brodie - Lyons
I: Miles - GHS - Machperson - Bowes

E: Holman - Burgess - Wigg - Dawson

Don't post much but have been scrolling through the forum for a while now, considering everyone is fit this is how I would line up (haven't taken draft into consideration yet)

FB: Harbs - Thompson - Ballard
HB: Ah Chee - Hombsch - Ellis
C: Weller - Swallow - Fiorini
HF: Corbett - Martin - Sexton
FF: Miller - Wright - Ainsworth

I: Miles - GHS - Machperson - Bowes

E: Holman - Burgess - Wigg - Dawson

Please keep posting

Now we know the list make up without delisted FA or Draftees:

AFL:

Collins - Thompson - Joyce
Hanley - Hombsch - Harbrow
Weller - Swallow - Bowes
Corbett - Wright - Ainsworth
Sexton - Martin - Holman

Witts - Lyons - Fiorini

Inter: Miles - Miller - Brodie - Ballard

NEAFL:

Ellis - Burgess - Lemmens
Wigg - Leslie - Ah Chee
Scheer - GHS - Schoenfeld
Young - Day - Powell
Heron - Crossley - Nutting

Nicholls - Dawson - Lonergan

Inter: Rischitelli - ??? - ??? - ???

Looks alright, we will obviously have to see how it looks heading into next season and who puts their hand up over pre-season but I actually don't mind the look of our team.

Haven't considered draftees because who knows what will happen.

HB: Ballard - Collins - Hanley
C: Weller - Swallow (C) - Fiorini
HF: Martin - Day - Miller
FF: Colbert - Wright - Ainsworth
I: Miles - Sexton - Bowes - Young

I think Ah Chee and Holman are really close and if they put in a strong pre-season i'd happily put them in the best 22.

I don't know much about Burgess, Ellis and Hombsh but happy for them to be in there if they perform in the pre-season.
I still think Day has a space there up forward. Hopefully he'll kick more goals but i think he works well with Wright plus Colbert should also support.
It will be interesting to see where the draftees land i can't see someone like Lukosious fitting in round 1 but someone like Rozee or Smith could. Wigg is the great unknown and him GHS and Ellis where likely promised game time but i'm not sure how much they will get unless the injury monster strikes again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back