Remove this Banner Ad

Collins - Thompson - Harbrow
Hanley - Hombsch - Murdoch
Weller - Swallow - Martin
Lukosius - Wright - Rankine
Corbett - Day - Ainsworth

Witts - Miller - Miles

Inter: Fiorini - Sexton - Brodie - Ellis

Depth: AhChee, Burgess, GHS, Ballard, Holman, Young, Nicholls, Lemmens, Joyce, King

Collins - Thompson - Harbrow
Hanley - Hombsch - Murdoch
Weller - Swallow - Martin
Lukosius - Wright - Rankine
Corbett - Day - Ainsworth

Witts - Miller - Miles

Inter: Fiorini - Sexton - Brodie - Ellis

Depth: AhChee, Burgess, GHS, Ballard, Holman, Young, Nicholls, Lemmens, Joyce, King

Nice effort :thumbsu:...not sure about Day at FF....reckon he and Corbett might be fighting for that spot with the loser missing out and Sexton going into the forward line.... but a lot of water to go under the bridge yet...

FB:Joyce - Thompson - Harbrow
HB:Hanley - Collins - Ballard
C: Weller - Swallow - Fiorini
HF: Lukosius - Day - Martin
FF: Ainsworth - Wright - Rankine

R: Witts - Miller - Brodie

B: Sexton - Bowes - Miles - Corbett

But different with mine, I have Ballard making that 3rd tall/intercepting defender spot his own. His overhead marking is pretty good and with another preseason under his belt should nail a best 22 spot.
I have Wright going to FF instead of CHF as I see him playing a relief ruck role to help Witta and don’t want him spending all his energy running up and down the ground as a CHF.
Corbett sneaks in on the bench to provide another marking option inside F50 if Witts is on the bench and Wright is playing ruck, apart from that the rest of the positions seem pretty locked in.

B- Jack Bowes Sam Collins Jack Hombsch
HB- Jack Martin Rory Thompson Jesse Joyce
C- Lachie Weller Brayden Fiorini Jarrod Harbrow
HF- Josh Corbett Peter Wright Alex Sexton
F- Ben Ainsworth Sam Day Aaron Young

Followers- Jarrod Witts, David Swallow, Anthony Miles.

I/C- Jordan Murdoch, Pearce Hanley, Touk Miller, Izak Rankine.

Plenty of depth and young players to bring in as required.

Harbrow Hombsch Collins
Hanley Thompson Ah Chee
Martin Brodie Bowes
Lukocious Corbett Rankine
Ainsworth Wright Sexton

Witts Swallow Weller

Miles Miller Fiorini Ballard

(Holman, D-Mac, Young, Day, Murdoch, GHS, Burgess, Ellis)

I'm not going to try my hand at a best 22 untill some of our recruits/draftees have tackled a AFL preseason - but I have been thinking it over and enjoying reading the ones that have been posted so far.

The biggest question I'm struggling with at the moment is where do we play Jack Martin? He's obviously one of our more dangerous forward options with his marking, ground work, solid goal kicking and ability to hurt the opponent at forward stoppages. He is hard enough at the contest and has the tank to play at times either outside or inside midfield; and although he's only really played back as a fill in option, he looks really really good with a bit of space to run into and is more likely than some of our other players to hit his target by foot.

If it wasn't hard enough for me decide already - I'm not at all convinced he will be at the club after 2019. Does that factor into how we play him at all?

I'm not going to try my hand at a best 22 untill some of our recruits/draftees have tackled a AFL preseason - but I have been thinking it over and enjoying reading the ones that have been posted so far.

The biggest question I'm struggling with at the moment is where do we play Jack Martin? He's obviously one of our more dangerous forward options with his marking, ground work, solid goal kicking and ability to hurt the opponent at forward stoppages. He is hard enough at the contest and has the tank to play at times either outside or inside midfield; and although he's only really played back as a fill in option, he looks really really good with a bit of space to run into and is more likely than some of our other players to hit his target by foot.

If it wasn't hard enough for me decide already - I'm not at all convinced he will be at the club after 2019. Does that factor into how we play him at all?
I really think it’s about time we get Jack up into the midfield more. We need an injection of speed, skills and x-factor which he can provide.

I really think it’s about time we get Jack up into the midfield more. We need an injection of speed, skills and x-factor which he can provide.

I'm hoping the big bosses are sitting down as we speak and looking ways not to screw up the next set contract negotiations. Jack Martin is out of contract, but he's not a free agent so if he wants to leave it will have to be for maximum value in terms of Draft picks. The rumour was that he was putting off extending his contract early because of Harbrow's uncertain contract situation, but that's sorted and now they'll be dealing with whatever else he has concerns about. Ah Chee, Miller and Wright are also up for renewal, while Nicholls, Thompson and Day are hitting Restricted Free Agency.

I actually have a feeling Jack Martin remains a one club player. He's not quite foundation, but he's been around long enough to feel like a senior statesman. Character wise, he's just about the nicest and most open guy at the club, speaks in a considered and forthright manner, and always plays out of his skin even when he's outmatched. After the Fremantle game, I felt we got a little glimpse of his feelings about the new stadium and the WA crowd when he was interviewed after the game. "Hostile." was the first word that came to him. At that time I think the last thing on his mind was wanting that crowd for supporters.

I'm hoping the big bosses are sitting down as we speak and looking ways not to screw up the next set contract negotiations. Jack Martin is out of contract, but he's not a free agent so if he wants to leave it will have to be for maximum value in terms of Draft picks. The rumour was that he was putting off extending his contract early because of Harbrow's uncertain contract situation, but that's sorted and now they'll be dealing with whatever else he has concerns about. Ah Chee, Miller and Wright are also up for renewal, while Nicholls, Thompson and Day are hitting Restricted Free Agency.

I actually have a feeling Jack Martin remains a one club player. He's not quite foundation, but he's been around long enough to feel like a senior statesman. Character wise, he's just about the nicest and most open guy at the club, speaks in a considered and forthright manner, and always plays out of his skin even when he's outmatched. After the Fremantle game, I felt we got a little glimpse of his feelings about the new stadium and the WA crowd when he was interviewed after the game. "Hostile." was the first word that came to him. At that time I think the last thing on his mind was wanting that crowd for supporters.
After reading your opinion , I go with the worst scenario Jack Martin Eagles Bound.

Jack Martin was close with May, was entertaining the idea of moving to the Bombers and from afar seems to be an outsider from the young core.

The club should be doing all it can to maximise his abilities and get him to show he is an elite player next season to hopefully keep him at the club or at least drive up the return we get for him.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jack Martin was close with May, was entertaining the idea of moving to the Bombers and from afar seems to be an outsider from the young core.

The club should be doing all it can to maximise his abilities and get him to show he is an elite player next season to hopefully keep him at the club or at least drive up the return we get for him.

Imagine dealing with Dorodo next year if Jack selects Essendon. They don’t have a 1st rounder as they spent it on Sheil ( after holding out to try and lowball GWS). He could end up in the draft as Dorodo has to win and we won’t accept a couple of 2nd rounders

Was Jack actually entertaining a Bombers move or were the Don's just trying to coax him out?
If your looking to maximise his abilities and drive up his value where do you play him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Jack actually entertaining a Bombers move or were the Don's just trying to coax him out?
If your looking to maximise his abilities and drive up his value where do you play him?
I would play him in the guts.

He would be our best mid, only experienced mid with real class, and would give him a chance to accumulate the ball and showcase his sublime skills, which either makes him happier to stay or pumps up his value. Sitting in the goal square getting frost bite achieves neither of these goals.

Now you have Rankine and Ainsworth you have the small forwards to let him loose in the mids.

As far as Bombers are concerned as they don't even have a 1st rd pick we wouldn't even engage in a trade discussions with them. If he wants to leave he will have to look for different suitors.

WCE would have their hands full if they wanted Kelly and Martin next year.

I would play him in the guts.

He would be our best mid, only experienced mid with real class, and would give him a chance to accumulate the ball and showcase his sublime skills, which either makes him happier to stay or pumps up his value. Sitting in the goal square getting frost bite achieves neither of these goals.

Now you have Rankine and Ainsworth you have the small forwards to let him loose in the mids.

As far as Bombers are concerned as they don't even have a 1st rd pick we wouldn't even engage in a trade discussions with them. If he wants to leave he will have to look for different suitors.

WCE would have their hands full if they wanted Kelly and Martin next year.

I don't think Martin has a body for full time inside midfielder. I would play him mostly on the flank with limited time inside and also forward. He has a great kick, perfect link between defence/offence. Lukosius would be my other flank. I agree Martin has to be more involved.

I guess where I am going with all this is that the AFL needs to also be responsible in developing and building a strong QLD AFL base.

I feel as an outside QLD kids should be off limits for all other Clubs.

Interestingly we have a QLD on our list.
Melbourne have Corey Wagner , Josh Wagner ,Oskar Baker.

I don't think Martin has a body for full time inside midfielder. I would play him mostly on the flank with limited time inside and also forward. He has a great kick, perfect link between defence/offence. Lukosius would be my other flank. I agree Martin has to be more involved.
If they think he's leaving then it doesn't matter if they run the miles up on him.

If they think he can't go into square then maybe a pure roaming wing.

If they think he's leaving then it doesn't matter if they run the miles up on him.

If they think he can't go into square then maybe a pure roaming wing.

Agree with the wing idea. Let him float between half fwd and half back and rest him in the goal square.

I will push for flexibility

C Weller Swallow Bowes
HF Lukosius Martin Ballard

I like both HF wing stack up with tall . Collins will take over Ballard Third tall in defence .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back