Prediction Best 22 for 2019

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Going to be an "interesting" year
I've seen nothing over JLT that would instil fear into opposition hearts
All we can hope for is that Dew's manifesto will be 100% bought into by the playing group and that we jag some wins off the back of the Champion Team vs Team of Champions theory while developing the younger talent.
Here's hoping!!!:thumbsu::footy::moustache:

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Going to be an "interesting" year
I've seen nothing over JLT that would instil fear into opposition hearts
All we can hope for is that Dew's manifesto will be 100% bought into by the playing group and that we jag some wins off the back of the Champion Team vs Team of Champions theory while developing the younger talent.
Here's hoping!!!:thumbsu::footy::moustache:
With 6-6-6 starting set up, winning clearances is crucial as it's hard to stop a run on.
I think Dew can see that a lot will depend on Swallow & Miles and nursed their midfield minutes in the JLT.

Are we still able to bring in players to cover LTI to Wigg and Rory before the March 15 cut off?
Are there any decent mids around not on a list already?

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There are a few getting around which would be afl standard Pickett, Bolton, Macguire, Grigg all hve put together multiple standout years at the level below

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Grigg doesn't want back into AFL- wasn't he the one who said he wasnt good enough the first time so why would he be good enough this time?

08elf

Team Captain
Sep 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Where is Will Brodie at? Hardly featured in pre season and when the suns are calling for a big bodied MID he just isn't in the conversations. Not injured, did he just not have a tank to get around in AFL games? Or is it a disposal efficiency thing?

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Where is Will Brodie at? Hardly featured in pre season and when the suns are calling for a big bodied MID he just isn't in the conversations. Not injured, did he just not have a tank to get around in AFL games? Or is it a disposal efficiency thing?

Obviously the only people who really know are the Match Committee.....all of us onlookers can rant and rave as much as we like but it comes down to what the MC think........we, as supporters don't have a say. So either get behind the people who know best or pull up stumps and get the f*** out. I just get so sick and tired of half the crap that gets posted here. 90% of us here don't have a continental of what goes on at the Club behind closed doors yet we feel it's necessary to denigrate all and sundry cause we have an opinion that doesn't agree with the decisions those people make. I.myself, would have liked to see Brodie in at least 1 of the JLT games, but it wasn't to be. Should I now burn my membership as a sign of protest. Or should I accept that there must be something that he's not doing to satisfy the people who actually make the final decision......
I'm backing the Club on this......and I'm not burning my Foundation Membership just yet.....this is just my opinion and you're more than welcome to disagree with it...

08elf

Team Captain
Sep 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Obviously the only people who really know are the Match Committee.....all of us onlookers can rant and rave as much as we like but it comes down to what the MC think........we, as supporters don't have a say. So either get behind the people who know best or pull up stumps and get the f*** out. I just get so sick and tired of half the crap that gets posted here. 90% of us here don't have a continental of what goes on at the Club behind closed doors yet we feel it's necessary to denigrate all and sundry cause we have an opinion that doesn't agree with the decisions those people make. I.myself, would have liked to see Brodie in at least 1 of the JLT games, but it wasn't to be. Should I now burn my membership as a sign of protest. Or should I accept that there must be something that he's not doing to satisfy the people who actually make the final decision......
I'm backing the Club on this......and I'm not burning my Foundation Membership just yet.....this is just my opinion and you're more than welcome to disagree with it...
Not sure anyone is potting the committee or the player(s) and perhaps your frustrations aren't singed at my post in particular.

However in a roundabout way you've kind of answered the question, in that it sounds like the suns media haven't communicated why he wasn't in the frame for a game.

Tigers made it very clear to members what the likes of Lloyd, Miles and B.Ellis needed to do to re-establish themselves.

Even if it's a simple he's X weeks behind in his summer program because he had off season surgery or was on restricted duties, keeps the membership base informed.

The one thing that's clear with Dews coaching mantra is fitness and 2way running is a non negotiable.

gosuns!

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not sure anyone is potting the committee or the player(s) and perhaps your frustrations aren't singed at my post in particular.

However in a roundabout way you've kind of answered the question, in that it sounds like the suns media haven't communicated why he wasn't in the frame for a game.

Tigers made it very clear to members what the likes of Lloyd, Miles and B.Ellis needed to do to re-establish themselves.

Even if it's a simple he's X weeks behind in his summer program because he had off season surgery or was on restricted duties, keeps the membership base informed.

The one thing that's clear with Dews coaching mantra is fitness and 2way running is a non negotiable.
Think you've summarised that pretty well. We are a bit frustrated with the lack of communication around Brodie. We can see a lot of potential in him and the team seems to be crying out for a bloke that busts in the way he does.
The media department has been a lot better this off season, hopefully it eventually translates into clearer communication for members and fans around senior selection.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Couldn’t agree more - we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors and nor should we know. They’re not morons - if Brodie isn’t picked (or goober or day for that matter) there’s a reason beyond just “dew doesn’t like him”

Match committee want us to succeed as much as we do.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

Why didn't C. Ellis get a game?

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
With the injuries this is how I would be lining up Rd 1.

C.Ballard - S.Collins - J.Harbrow
P.Hanley - J.Hombsch - J.Murdoch
J.Bowes - D.Swallow - L.Weller
B.Ainsworth - P.Wright - J.Lukosius
D.MacPherson - C.Burgess - A.Sexton

J.Witts - T.Miller - J.Martin

G.Horlin-Smith - B.Fiorini - A.Miles - C.Ah Chee
Would like to squeeze Powell in there too somewhere but Ah Chee is more flexible. Can play back and forward. He would be the next picked for me.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With the injuries this is how I would be lining up Rd 1.

C.Ballard - S.Collins - J.Harbrow
P.Hanley - J.Hombsch - J.Murdoch
J.Bowes - D.Swallow - L.Weller
B.Ainsworth - P.Wright - J.Lukosius
D.MacPherson - C.Burgess - A.Sexton

J.Witts - T.Miller - J.Martin

G.Horlin-Smith - B.Fiorini - A.Miles - C.Ah Chee
Would like to squeeze Powell in there too somewhere but Ah Chee is more flexible. Can play back and forward. He would be the next picked for me.
Spot on. I would put in Powell replacing GHS but Dew will not do it. Ah Chee may play on Grasham?

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Spot on. I would put in Powell replacing GHS but Dew will not do it. Ah Chee may play on Grasham?
He has the athleticism and speed going for him. Only question mark would be the footy smarts to curb his influence. Dew seems to be wanting to mold Ah Chee into a Neville Jetta type as a small lockdown defender, but who can also go and hit targets by foot. Interesting to see his development this year. With this lack of runners able to communicate to the team on field.

Horlin Smith will be handy as an organizer on the field akin to a Hodge type for Brisbane. May not be as good of a player, but may have a positive effect on the players around him, make the players around him better.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He has the athleticism and speed going for him. Only question mark would be the footy smarts to curb his influence. Dew seems to be wanting to mold Ah Chee into a Neville Jetta type as a small lockdown defender, but who can also go and hit targets by foot. Interesting to see his development this year. With this lack of runners able to communicate to the team on field.

Horlin Smith will be handy as an organizer on the field akin to a Hodge type for Brisbane. May not be as good of a player, but may have a positive effect on the players around him, make the players around him better.
We definitely needs as many leaders on the field as possible especially now with no runners during play. As far as I know Hanley, Fiorini, Bowes, GHS, Miller understand the game. Who else?

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
We definitely needs as many leaders on the field as possible especially now with no runners during play. As far as I know Hanley, Fiorini, Bowes, GHS, Miller understand the game. Who else?
Surely the Captains out rank all those mentioned above...?
And - all players are professional and capable of understanding their role.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And - all players are professional and capable of understanding their role. Otherwise why all the meetings...?
Not sure how much Witts understands the game looking at his tap work :) Sometimes it looks like he met his midfield buddies for the first time. I also don't see too much directing/organising skills from Swallow on the field either.

I guess my question is how many players know what's happening on the field, read what opposition did, can adjust, direct teammates, Hodge type. I remember Solomon mentioned last year that Hanley was a clear stand out in this aspect.

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
And - all players are professional and capable of understanding their role.
I thought Witts and Swallow are co captain because they signed long term contract .

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
Not sure how much Witts understands the game looking at his tap work :) Sometimes it looks like he met his midfield buddies for the first time.
I guess my question is how many players know what's happening on the field, read what opposition did, can adjust, direct teammates, etc. I remember Solomon mentioned last year that Hanley was a clear stand out in this aspect.
IMO - often too much focus is put on the term " leader" ....what does it really mean ? Is it the player who points and yells alot , parrots the gameplan etc - or is it the player that performs his role as instructed with no fuss at all.
My point - a successful team must have 22 leaders - performing as a unit . Rory Thompson is no less a leader than Touk Miller- they just have polar opposite styles
One of the problems with the Ablett era was that his presence diminished the ownership and individual leadership of his teammates.

08elf

Team Captain
Sep 6, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Why didn't C. Ellis get a game?
Dominated the midfield at VFL level, but in the AFL had to play a team role on the HBF. Couldn't get involved and when he did he turned the ball over and was too slow with decision making under pressure.

Back