Prediction Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

With two likely top ten picks, you should potentially be looking at pairing two of the Oakleigh boys if possible.

What do believe are your team needs at seasons end?
Speedy Mid with reasonable endurance , I got a strong feeling Jack Martin going to another team if GC don’t show improvement.

All good. Every clubs board has a different character, and what might fly or have one meaning on one clubs board, might not be acceptable or have a different meaning on another clubs board.

I don't interact on other clubs boards. Only here, for that sense of QLD camaraderie. And also because I'm a draft junkie, and over the past couple of years GC has drafted some of the kids I've been very high on. I spent all of 2016 talking up Ainsworth on the Lions board, only to see him land at GC. I spent all of 2017 & most of 2018 talking up Rankine on the Lions board, only to see him land at GC as well.

I also like discussing how teams build a list, and have an interest in trading and drafting from that perspective. So GC starting at the bottom and rebuilding their list is interesting to me. Both for what happens on the field and off the field. Putting the right coaches in place, the right player development coaches,
a teams recruitment team philosophy and draft history, also with Brisbane and GC, the importance of the welfare department and the role they play in settling in draftees and their interactions with players families.

Unlikely that you would, but if you every have the time, it's interesting to listen to the Lions podcast when our head of player welfare, Andrew Crowell, is on. We have a private FB group for players parents, called Parents of the Pride. One thing our team does is live stream our training sessions for parents to watch their boys train and interact with after training.

I'm sure GC do something similar, but as I don't read your club site or follow the Suns on social media, I'm not sure how much work your player welfare department does. Only info get is what I read here. So if I'm making a comment, it's purely based of what your clubs posters are saying.
According to the Coch on AFL360 the other night, after Dewey and Haines had a year to assess our football department, we’ve beefed up our player welfare area from one employee to now having seven personnel, the most in the league. With the obvious aim of maximising retention.

Hey! Just wondering if Corbett is in ur best 22 straight away when he does fully recover? If so, which round might we see him playing for you guys?

Hey! Just wondering if Corbett is in ur best 22 straight away when he does fully recover? If so, which round might we see him playing for you guys?
Id say it depends on how the bigger guys that are selected goes. I don't think he's walkup and will have to demonstrate he's a better option than a burgess for instance. I don't think the ball is entirely in his court.

Id say it depends on how the bigger guys that are selected goes. I don't think he's walkup and will have to demonstrate he's a better option than a burgess for instance. I don't think the ball is entirely in his court.
Agree, if Burgess, Lukosius perform he got to wait.

Took me a while to find this thread but with a perennially injured list it always therapuetic to imagine an injury free best 22...
Harbs Thomo Ballard
Hanley Collins Weller
Bowes Swallow Powell
Rankine Wright Ainsworth
Sexton King Martin
Witts Miller Fiorini
Luko ah chee Miles Mcpherson

Crying out for a marquee experienced mid like Lachie Neale, and then odd the no. One or two pick next year...
Not looking too bad...

Not easy but similar. I would have Bowes start inside and Weller on the wing. I value Lemmens pressure. Rowell/Anderson will fit nicely.

FB: Harbrow Thompson Ballard
HB: Hanley Collins Ah Chee
C: Weller Swallow Powell
HF: Rankine Wright Martin
FF: Sexton King Ainsworth
F: Witts Bowes Fiorini
I: Miller Lukosius Macpherson Lemmens
E: Hombsh, Miles, Holman, Day

Be interesting to compare our lineups at half way compared with pre round 1

Ben King the big mover
Macpherson, Ballard solidified their spots

Took me a while to find this thread but with a perennially injured list it always therapuetic to imagine an injury free best 22...
Harbs Thomo Ballard
Hanley Collins Weller
Bowes Swallow Powell
Rankine Wright Ainsworth
Sexton King Martin
Witts Miller Fiorini
Luko ah chee Miles Mcpherson

Crying out for a marquee experienced mid like Lachie Neale, and then odd the no. One or two pick next year...
Not looking too bad...

Where's Brodie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarrod HarbrowRory ThompsonJack Hombsch
Lachlan WellerSam CollinsPearce Hanley
Ben AinsworthWill BrodieJack Bowes
Alex SextonPeter WrightDarcy MacPherson
Izak RankineBen KingJack Martin
Jarrod WittsDavid SwallowBrayden Fiorini
InterchangeCallum Ah CheeTouk Miller
Nick HolmanAnthony Miles
EmergenciesCharlie BallardSam Day
Sean LemmensWil Powell

Harder than it was at the start of the season. Could not justify Lukosius with a fully fit list. Injured players in bold show how Luko, Joyce and Ellis or Corbett would come in.

We don't seem to be able to get enough traction from these trades and mature talents we get either......Collins has been a real find but injured, Riordan not debuted yet, McLennan no games yet, Burgess not good enough, Ellis injured and then dropped?????, King and Luko not up to it yet and Rankine cant get on the park yet

GHS and Murdoch not able to be best 22 each week even with an injury ravaged team, GHS never will be, Murdoch has the tools but cant seem to figure out how to use his speed and long kicking skills consistently ongoing

I mentioned it earlier in the season, and got canned on here, because some posters took as a criticism of the team, when I was trying to put things in perspective, but I felt your 2018/19 off season was very similar to the Lions 2013/14 off season.

At that time we traded in a lot of other teams unwanted players to try and minimise the necessity of playing so many draftees. Unfortunately most weren't up to it. Only two players remain on our list from then, Allen Christensen and Mitch Robinson.

We did it back then and came to the realisation, but you're bringing in fringe best 22 role players from good teams and expecting them to be more than what they are, a role player. They look serviceable to good when they are surrounded by much better and deeper talent, and aren't being asked to carry the load.

Collins has undoubtably been a find, and should be a long term key defender for you. That's a positive.

What happened with us is our draftees ended up playing anyway, because they were just better players, albeit with smaller bodies and without the endurance, and many were cooked by about round 18.

All you can do is play out the season, give the kids a break, and hope they come back more mature and ready to play a greater role in 2020.

You guys have said it enough on here yourselves, but you also have to sort out your injury list and prevention management.

Not easy but similar. I would have Bowes start inside and Weller on the wing. I value Lemmens pressure. Rowell/Anderson will fit nicely.

FB: Harbrow Thompson Ballard
HB: Hanley Collins Ah Chee
C: Weller Swallow Powell
HF: Rankine Wright Martin
FF: Sexton King Ainsworth
F: Witts Bowes Fiorini
I: Miller Lukosius Macpherson Lemmens
E: Hombsh, Miles, Holman, Day
Could you do this again, and bold where players are playing out of position, and let me know where such players best fit. And also bold players where ideally you would have a better player.

Looking at your best 22 above. I have Lukosius starting in place of Ah Chee. For me Hanley is cooked, largely due to injuries, and would ideally be on the bench or and emergency.

Obviously Martin is likely out the door from discussions on here.

I question if Powell, Macpherson and Lemmens should be in a best 22.

Could you do this again, and bold where players are playing out of position, and let me know where such players best fit. And also bold players where ideally you would have a better player.

Looking at your best 22 above. I have Lukosius starting in place of Ah Chee. For me Hanley is cooked, largely due to injuries, and would ideally be on the bench or and emergency.

Obviously Martin is likely out the door from discussions on here.

I question if Powell, Macpherson and Lemmens should be in a best 22.
If you think Macpherson shouldn't be in the best 22 you've got no idea about the Suns. Without a doubt our most improved/consistent player this year. At the moment he'd be in my top 5 first picked every game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back