Prediction Best 22 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheppard / Barass / Rotham
Hurn / McGovern / Jetta
Gaff / Kelly / Redden
Cripps / Darling / Allen (lead up HF and utility)
Ryan / JK / Cameron

Naitanui / Yeo / Shuey

Sheed (MID) / Duggan (DEF) / Venables (FWD/MID) / Fourth spot subject to Naitanui - Hickey or Williams or Vardy 2018 or next best mid assuming Allen can provide a chop out

Hurn Barass Rotham
Jetta McGovern Sheppard
Gaff Yeo Sheed
Cripps Darling Waterman
Ryan J.Kennedy Cameron
-Naitanui Kelly Shuey
Int- Duggan, Redden, O.Allen, Ahchee/Petruccelle
Emg Brander, Watson, Schofield, Nelson

Is JK cooked or good for one more year?

I think he will kick 40 but the issue is his pressure and tackling now is getting bad. He’s lost a lot of athleticism and explosiveness in the last year or two. Fingers crossed a proper preseason helps.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

FB Hurn Barrass Nelson
HB Jetta McGovern Sheppard
C Gaff Yeo Kelly
HF Cripps Darling Petrucelle
FF Ryan Kennedy Allen
R Naitanui Sheed Shuey
INT Redden Cameron Duggan Hutchings
EMG Schofield Venables Watson Hickey
Pushing for selection:
Ah Chee Rotham Waterman Brander Cole Williams Vardy Edwards

Last edited:
I think he will kick 40 but the issue is his pressure and tackling now is getting bad. He’s lost a lot of athleticism and explosiveness in the last year or two. Fingers crossed a proper preseason helps.

I really hope that the MC recognise the need to manage JK's workload. I know every season is different (and if he manages a full preseason for the first time in ages it does change things), but it was also no coincidence that his best games in the second half of the season were after a break. A week or two off to rest the legs greatly improved his running and agility.

It also works well that we have 3-4 youngsters pushing for his spot. So we can develop them, rest JK and have the best of him when he plays and plan for life after his retirement (on 2019 fitness that will be end of 2020, but if he can get his body right he may play another year).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The questions that will define the best 22:

Do we go with a 2 ruc combo or can nic have enough TOG so allen can provide a chop out.

Could allen play more ruc time if nic cant increase his minutes

Can kennedy get back to that pressurising, agile KPF. Will he remain in the best 22 come finals time. Do MC back him in if his form slides even further or is there someone in the reserves that can step up?

Do we play Schofield straight up or back barass in?

Who out of the midfield group makes way for kelly. To me hutch seems the obvious choice with redden playing that defensive role.

I really hope that the MC recognise the need to manage JK's workload. I know every season is different (and if he manages a full preseason for the first time in ages it does change things), but it was also no coincidence that his best games in the second half of the season were after a break. A week or two off to rest the legs greatly improved his running and agility.

It also works well that we have 3-4 youngsters pushing for his spot. So we can develop them, rest JK and have the best of him when he plays and plan for life after his retirement (on 2019 fitness that will be end of 2020, but if he can get his body right he may play another year).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s annoying as every year Simmo has mentioned they will manage JK but it never seems to happen. I’d be doing the same for Hurn so both are cherry ripe for finals.

It’s annoying as every year Simmo has mentioned they will manage JK but it never seems to happen. I’d be doing the same for Hurn so both are cherry ripe for finals.

I agree. There doesn’t seem to be player management at the Eagles much at all. McGovern and JK seem to get a game every week until they are truly broken. Brander could be played whilst either of those two have a rest. Maybe not their positions but for someone who does take their position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jk has been covering the lack of small forward pressure role his whole career, now he has slowed down a little it's time for the small forwards to stand up with their pressure.
Riewoldt and Lynch are not chase and tackle beasts, the small forwards at Richmond swarm on you in numbers and they are the ones that do the grunt work.
Our small forwards outside of Ryan are quite easily pushed away, easy to break their tackles and provide little pressure to what is really required.
It is our small forwards that are the only ones who can help JK be the player we all want him to be.
Cripps, Petch and Ryan have to be our tackling and pressure beasts. If they can improve in that area significantly it will help JK and JD immensily. Players like Waterman and Allen must also lift in this area.
Every side is different of course but it's bloody great watching how hard and rulthless the Tigers play and what they will do for their team.

In all seriousness though, this would be my best 22.

View attachment 757954

This would be my ideal line-up for home games. Wouldnt travel Kennedy for away games at all and in that case, Brander comes into the 22 from the emergency list, Darling moves to full-forward, and Waterman goes to CHF. Brander should get some games at home too with Kennedy having a decent break somewhere in the 2nd half of the season.

There is no backup ruck for this lineup. NicNat with a full pre-season under his belt to ruck 65-70% of the time. When he needs a rest, O.Allen goes into the ruck, and Waterman comes off the bench to play Allens half-forward role.

Redden is 1st midfielder cab off the rank for our wingers, while Hutchings is first centre square midfield cab off the rank.

Watson, Brander and Petrol are emergencies. Cameron has far better skills than Petrucelle for mine and should be prioritized to get games into.

Schofield just holds his spot over Watson, with Watson given games when Schofield needs to manage his body.

No need for Waterman. We didnt learn this year to play one tall less like in 2018.

Venners comes in or an AhChee.

I don’t see why we shouldn’t play Williams ahead of Hickey from Round 1 next year.

Hickey had a reasonable 1st year at the club and I think he will be better in 2020 ..
The S/F v Geelong his efforts in the 3 Rd quarter was very good and if he plays to that level he will be fine in 2020 ..

I'm not sure Barrass is a certain starter. He went backwards in 2019.

Actually the Barrass + Gov combo made our defence look ridiculous at times when teams are working out there strengths and focussing on the weaknesses ..

Actually the Barrass + Gov combo made our defence look ridiculous at times when teams are working out there strengths and focussing on the weaknesses ..

They got embarrassingly pantsed at times, maybe need another/different tool in the backline toolbox?
Rotham or Watson? TB is a tall spoiler/interceptor similar to Gov, but both are a bit clumsy below the knees (Gov is certainly the better allrounder)...
Also be curious to see who we bring in and play more of this season..if we introduce more new blood to AFL?

Barrass is well equipped to play full back, but if thats the role he is going to play he has to play the role, not be gov-lite.

Rotham then the obvious in as the third tall or if we want to play smaller we back Hurn and Shep to rotate and bring in another small.

I'm pretty sure everyone on here will agree that structure wise over the last few years we have played best with 7 talls.

So if JK, Darling, Nicnat, Gov, Barrass are the spine and every man and his dog knows that it is, we also know Nic really can't play as a solo ruck. Everyone can then make their decisions from there. Unfortunately the match committee will try and shoehorn in who they think are the best players rather than the best side. We've all seen it both under Woosha and Simmo so can see it ending up being 8 most weeks and some *ed weeks it'll be 9 and people will sit stupefied as to why we can't run out four quarters.

It's a big off season for Hutchings, Cameron, Petrucelle, Rotham, Nelson, Cole, Venables, Allen, Waterman and Duggan.

For me the below are the locks.

FB Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB Jetta Mcgovern ***
C Sheed Kelly Gaff
HF Cripps Darling ***
FF Ryan Kennedy ***
R Nicnat Shuey Yeo
I Redden (ruck option) *** ***

That leaves 10 players to go into 5 spots and I just don't see Nic being capable of playing a full season without a secondary full time ruck.

Barrass is well equipped to play full back, but if thats the role he is going to play he has to play the role, not be gov-lite.

Rotham then the obvious in as the third tall or if we want to play smaller we back Hurn and Shep to rotate and bring in another small.

I'm pretty sure everyone on here will agree that structure wise over the last few years we have played best with 7 talls.

So if JK, Darling, Nicnat, Gov, Barrass are the spine and every man and his dog knows that it is, we also know Nic really can't play as a solo ruck. Everyone can then make their decisions from there. Unfortunately the match committee will try and shoehorn in who they think are the best players rather than the best side. We've all seen it both under Woosha and Simmo so can see it ending up being 8 most weeks and some ******ed weeks it'll be 9 and people will sit stupefied as to why we can't run out four quarters.

It's a big off season for Hutchings, Cameron, Petrucelle, Rotham, Nelson, Cole, Venables, Allen, Waterman and Duggan.

For me the below are the locks.

FB Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB Jetta Mcgovern ***
C Sheed Kelly Gaff
HF Cripps Darling ***
FF Ryan Kennedy ***
R Nicnat Shuey Yeo
I Redden (ruck option) *** ***

That leaves 10 players to go into 5 spots and I just don't see Nic being capable of playing a full season without a secondary full time ruck.

I would say Allen is a lock for 22. The MC certainly seems to select based on that. If Rioli was available we would only have 3 spots left for like 9 players. This is the reason why I didn't mind the Kelly trade. We are already super tight on spots as is we didn't need 4 more chances are 'decent' talent but a dead set best 22 lock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back