Prediction Best 22 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't notice Brander tonight, don't think he showed enough to have an impact and knock down the door for Round 1. Would rather Petch/Redden/Sheed on the wing with Gaff for now.

Didn't notice Brander tonight, don't think he showed enough to have an impact and knock down the door for Round 1. Would rather Petch/Redden/Sheed on the wing with Gaff for now.
I barely watched, but I was surprised he was named at CHF and the bit I did watch he was playing CHB. Did he actually play on the wing?

Well it's gotta be Williams as second ruck now.

Hickey as back up in case Nic tackles someone without asking please first.

Might be tricky for Allen to get back into the side when he is fully fit. Maybe in the backline?

I barely watched, but I was surprised he was named at CHF and the bit I did watch he was playing CHB. Did he actually play on the wing?

He did. For at least the first quarter.

Did a couple of good things. Didn't notice him doing anything bad either

I worry about Tom Cole

He was an absolute lock for out best 22 for a while there, but it's looks like he has regressed

I worry about Tom Cole

He was an absolute lock for out best 22 for a while there, but it's looks like he has regressed

I though he looked better against Essendon than in 2019. Need to back them in.

Nelson def ahead at this point.

Duggan - Love his haedness but his disposal at times can suck. Took Sheppard a number of years to really shine, hoping Duggan can go that next level and play consistent football. Still only 23, turns 24 in December 2020. Forget he's still young. Give him 2 years.

B: Sheppard Barrass Nelson
HB: Jetta McGovern Hurn
C: Redden Yeo Gaff
HF: Waterman Darling Cripps
F: Cameron Kennedy Ryan
R: Naitanui Shuey Kelly
I: Williams Sheed Duggan Petrucelle

E: Schofield Brander Watson Cole Hutchings Ah Chee XON

OAllen to come into the mix when fit.

I worry about the ability of our forward 6 to lock the ball in and provide consistent pressure on opposing defenders. It was shocking last year and structurally has only gotten worse (with a resting mid needing to be accommodated in the mix and the long term absence of Rioli). Cameron therefore needs to play.

E: Schofield Brander Watson Cole Hutchings

Ah Chee XON

I worry about the ability of our forward 6 to lock the ball in and provide consistent pressure on opposing defenders. It was shocking last year and structurally has only gotten worse (with a resting mid needing to be accommodated in the mix and the long term absence of Rioli). Cameron therefore needs to play.
I thinks that’s a good starting 22. Cameron showed a bit. Like his defensive work

E: Schofield Brander Watson Cole Hutchings Ah Chee XON

Love the team but reckon coaches love Allen so much that we'll play an extra tall and unbalance our side.

Can williams play ruck for 50% of an AFL game. Much higher intensity and harder hits. Does he have it in him at 19/20?

Can williams play ruck for 50% of an AFL game. Much higher intensity and harder hits. Does he have it in him at 19/20?
I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. He may need a rest every now and again but he looked so much better than Vardy it would not be an issue. Likewise NicNat might need a rest every now and again so Hickey comes in as a floater when needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early days but I am with a few other posters thinking Duggan has gone backwards. From last year and what I've seen so far, Nelson looks to be ahead of Liam and a decent run from Rotham and or Schofield could see Duggan not selected.

Interesting with Waterman facing competition from Allen, Brander, Williams, etc. Could Jake reinvent himself as a half forward who can also play half back. He has built his tank well in the last 2 years and he has shown that he can follow team orders and play to the strategy. I personally spent time as half back and 3rd tall forward so know that it makes sense and the flexibility it brings on rotations would be beneficial.

As an aside - my best coaches started me in defence to bring the niggle from the first bounce. Sometimes forwards need to be the antagonist first and they play better when eventually put forward.

Early days but I am with a few other posters thinking Duggan has gone backwards. From last year and what I've seen so far, Nelson looks to be ahead of Liam and a decent run from Rotham and or Schofield could see Duggan not selected.

Interesting with Waterman facing competition from Allen, Brander, Williams, etc. Could Jake reinvent himself as a half forward who can also play half back. He has built his tank well in the last 2 years and he has shown that he can follow team orders and play to the strategy. I personally spent time as half back and 3rd tall forward so know that it makes sense and the flexibility it brings on rotations would be beneficial.

As an aside - my best coaches started me in defence to bring the niggle from the first bounce. Sometimes forwards need to be the antagonist first and they play better when eventually put forward.
I actually think Allen will be the one to play defence. The club has already said he has trained in multiple positions and will play where required.

I think you will find that Duggan’s place is Not in question. I also think that Nelson will be one of the first picks. Due to his work on reinventing himself over the past 18 months, he presents as one of the more versatile players at the club.
All last season he trained with the mids, improved his tank along with his disposal. He is now also a strong, hard body who doesn’t shirk the physical stuff.
He can play in defence, on a wing, run through the middle or do a lockdown role. In other words he is the perfect bench person and integral in numerous rotations. As previously mentioned, he doesn’t replace Duggan but he replaces Hutchings.

Last edited:
I think you will find that Duggan’s place is Not in question. I also think that Nelson will be one of the first picks. Due to his work on reinventing himself over the past 18 months, he presents as one of the more versatile players at the club.
All last season he trained with the mids, improved his tank along with his disposal. He is now also a strong, hard body who doesn’t shirk the physical stuff.
He can play in defence, on a wing, run through the middle or do a lockdown role. In other words he is the perfect bench person and integral in numerous rotations. As previously mentioned, he doesn’t replace Duggan but he replaces Hutchings.

I really hope you are right with how they use Nelson. Get him away from that last line of defense, get him using his pace more. They say at training Neleon is one of our best kicks but thats with the pressure off.

I can see Nelson surprise a few people on how good he is.

Duggan - Love his haedness but his disposal at times can suck. Took Sheppard a number of years to really shine, hoping Duggan can go that next level and play consistent football. Still only 23, turns 24 in December 2020. Forget he's still young. Give him 2 years.

Duggan always botched his kicks when he tried to hit someone with a bullet. In general play he's fine I think. Against Essendon I thought he was kicking within his limits and some of his kicks looked all class.

Round 1 best 22:

FB: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Jetta McGovern Duggan
C: Gaff Yeo Sheed
HF: Waterman Darling Petrucelle
FF: Cripps Kennedy Ryan
Bench: Williams Redden Rotham Brander

With Cameron, Allen, Watson & Nelson next in line when fit.

Love Schofield, he bleeds blue, gold & ochre. When he plays he rarely puts a foot wrong. But just feel we are too tall with TB, Gov and him all starting.

Hope to see XON come on and force his way in.
Likewise Edwards.

Duggan always botched his kicks when he tried to hit someone with a bullet. In general play he's fine I think. Against Essendon I thought he was kicking within his limits and some of his kicks looked all class.
His kicking was not the problem in the Essendon game - I was more concerned on his lack of contested football

Round 1 best 22:

Assumed not available/ready - Roli, Allen, Cole, Cameron

FB: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Jetta McGovern Nelson
C: Gaff Yeo Brander
FF: Petrucelle Kennedy Ryan

Int: Williams Redden Rotham Sheed

If McGovern not ready, then Schofield gets the gig

Nelson provides a more contested game than Duggan so I would start him
If Rotham is not right, then Duggan
Brander needs to be given a starting position and a few weeks at it
If Darling not ready, then Waterman plays a more pivotal role (as he did in 2018) and more time on ground for Williams

I like the idea of some new(ish) faces like Brander, Williams and Rotham being rewarded.

Great to have the luxury of Hutchings in the wings if needed.

Pleased to have Gaff on the outside as I am not a fan of his inside or centre clearance work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back