Prediction Best 22 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

If the AFL is going to change as much as Caro and Niall are writing about, I don’t believe we’re going to see any more Neale or Worpel type picks any more, because the draft won’t go that deep any more.

It looks like we’re in for some pretty big changes beyond list sizes being cut, and the draft possibly only going 2 rounds.

AFL clubs aren’t going to have reserve teams any more, because the list size won’t allow for it.

We (the northern clubs) won’t be able to develop our kids in the NEAFL any more.

Clubs are going to want high end first round picks, because those kids are not only more talented, but they’re also often able to contribute early in their careers, even if their bodies are fully developed for AFL yet.

The second round, we’re more likely to see older players drafted out of the State leagues. Players who have spent one or a couple of years developing before they get their chance. This is where the Neale and Worpel types will end up after their U18 year.

It’s possible the AFL adopts a system similar to Rugby League, where senior squad players who don’t make the best 22 for that weekend drop back and play for a NEAFL side they’re aligned to.

We might need another NEAFL team QLD, on the Gold Coast or Logan, and two more in NSW.
Nobody know what will happen , i will look at other sport like soccer and NBA (world sport) before making my prediction on AFL. AFL is just a national game. Messi taken 70% paycut equal to the whole best 22 players wages.

OK, round 2, late June/July, all players available, all in great shape. What is your best 22?

It will be interesting as there will probably no official practice games. I guess Suns could have some scrimmage with Lions.

FB Harbrow Thompson Ballard
HB Lukosius Collins Budarick
C Anderson Greenwood Ellis
HF Mcpherson Wright Ainsworth
FF Rankine King Sexton
R Witts Swallow Weller
I/C Bowes Miller Fiorini Rowell

Average age 24. Hombsh/Hanley could swap with Budarick but I liked what Budarick showed in round 1. I would like to see Powell to play on the wing instead of Anderson but I doubt it will happen. Bowes/Fiorini/Swallow more time in the middle please.

OK, round 2, late June/July, all players available, all in great shape. What is your best 22?

It will be interesting as there will probably no official practice games. I guess Suns could have some scrimmage with Lions.

HB Lukosius Collins Budarick
C Anderson Greenwood Ellis
HF Mcpherson Wright Ainsworth
FF Rankine King Sexton
R Witts Swallow Weller
I/C Bowes Miller Fiorini Rowell

Average age 24. Hombsh/Hanley could swap with Budarick but I liked what Budarick showed in round 1. I would like to see Powell to play on the wing instead of Anderson but I doubt it will happen. Bowes/Fiorini/Swallow more time in the middle please.
Too heavy (slow) and tall backline, opposition small forward will have a good day's. Either luko or Ballard should be on I/C. If you prefer Powell in then Florini should be the one out. One of Anderson and Powell (utility) will be on I/C only 18 players are allow to plays while the other four will be on I/C. Florini is a pure inside mid.

Last edited:

Too heavy (slow) and tall backline, opposition small forward will have a good day's. Either luko or Ballard should be on I/C. If you prefer Powell in then Florini should be the one out. One of Anderson and Powell (utility) will be on I/C only 18 players are allow to plays while the other four will be on I/C. Florini is a pure inside mid.
Show me your best 22. Harbrow and Budarick are not slow.

Show me your best 22. Harbrow and Budarick are not slow.
HB Bowes Collins Budarick
C Powell Greenwood Ellis
HF Mcpherson Anderson Ainsworth
FF Rankine King Sexton
R Witts Swallow Weller
I/C Lukosius Miller Fiorini Rowell.

Ballard or Lukosius can swap with Anderson.
Risk - one ruckmen Witts like Richmond 2017 premiership with nankavis. If Witts down you left with pitch rucking. I prefer a medium HF like Anderson or 194 - 196 KPF ( luko, of maybe Ballard) rather than Wright that can't play KPD position and Ruck maybe 20%. Ballard was utility players in U18.
Bowes and Weller have experienced as Half back, wing, HF. Rowell can play inside and outside mid.

Last edited:
I was pretty enamoured with Wil Powell last year.
Really showed some growth, statistically and in game traits. Looked way off the pace in year 1, in year 2 had a number of very nice moments but still quite inconsistent.

With his endurance / courage / kicking skills / size - listed at 185cm but perhaps taller? / knack of getting forward and kicking a goal where is his ceiling over the next few years? I get the feeling that the coaches love him and will play him. I really think he can become an excellent player.

2018: 8.7 disposals, 2.6 marks, 2,0 tackles, 0.3 goals / game
2019: 14 disposals, 4.1marks, 3 tackles, 0.6 goals / game ** excluding the 2 games he got injured in the first 15 mins.
2020: ?? 16.5 disposals, 4.5 marks, 3 tackles, 0.6 goals / game
2021: ?? 18 disposals, 5 marks, 3.5 tackles, 0.9 goals / game
2022: ?? 20 disposals, 5 marks, 3.5 tackles, 0.9 goals / game

Maybe that is a bit bullish, but I don't think it is totally out of the question for him to show this progression. Plucked from colts level in WA he seems to have a lot of growth potential. Looking forward to seeing how someone like him progresses.

Really showed some growth, statistically and in game traits. Looked way off the pace in year 1, in year 2 had a number of very nice moments but still quite inconsistent.

With his endurance / courage / kicking skills / size - listed at 185cm but perhaps taller? / knack of getting forward and kicking a goal where is his ceiling over the next few years? I get the feeling that the coaches love him and will play him. I really think he can become an excellent player.

2019: 14 disposals, 4.1marks, 3 tackles, 0.6 goals / game ** excluding the 2 games he got injured in the first 15 mins.

Maybe that is a bit bullish, but I don't think it is totally out of the question for him to show this progression. Plucked from colts level in WA he seems to have a lot of growth potential. Looking forward to seeing how someone like him progresses.
According to Dew players like to play with him and he will play a lot of footy this year. I was afraid what impact his 2 meniscus surgeries will have on him this season and long-term but it seems he is ready to go.

On a separate note, Francou in his interview mentioned that Ballard will miss only one game. It looks like Ballard will play in round 2 too.

Happy with both.

Last edited:
Budders Collo Harbs
Chucky King McLennan
Ellis Miller Luko
Witts Swallow Rowell Anderson Brodie Greenwood Weller Sharp
Ainsworth Day Flanders
Rankine 2MP Sexton

I'd like to see this at some stage this nyear
I'm starting to imagine Ben King at CHB

Playing well tonight is Will!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back