Opinion Best 22 for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

With Honey & Durdin looking promising is there any chance we can turn Jack Martin into a winger?
It's an interesting point. We obviously know that Walsh, Cerra and Hewett will be rotating through a wing, but who takes the other? Do we play an 8th defender and let Saad/Williams play higher up the ground? Is Fisher/Martin up for a role change? Will LOB have a monster pre-season?

Will be very interesting to see who Voss goes with.

It's an interesting point. We obviously know that Walsh, Cerra and Hewett will be rotating through a wing, but who takes the other? Do we play an 8th defender and let Saad/Williams play higher up the ground? Is Fisher/Martin up for a role change? Will LOB have a monster pre-season?

I’d love to see saad released on wing
To me he’s plugging a hole and he’s a waste at the moment.

Wing is such a massive unknown for us. Saad would have to be good there wouldn't he? We would have to replace him in defence and that's pretty hard. I've always thought Martin should be able to play there but I get a feeling that he struggles to stay niggle free and fit and the running might wear him down too much. O'Brien is the one I would love to see make it the most for his kicking, he is the most damaging option we have, when he finds the footy his inside 50 delivery sets up a lot of goals. Philp is a likely type because he just seems to have it all for a wingman.

Motlop played 35 games of football this year. That included losing WAFL premiership side. Across NTFL, WAFL, Rep footy / Colts. Not many of the draft played that much footy over last 2 seasons. Pretty unique. Says a bit about his physical conditioning / durability. Should be pretty good to go next season from a physical standpoint.

If Motlop had no competition I would say that he would be straight into the side but the thing is he does.

Think our forward line will be McKay, Curnow, Silvagni, Martin Durdin and Honey with the last spot out of Owies, Fisher and Motlop.

Think he is a good chance to play a few games next season but competition should be strong and it's a lot to ask for a first year and very young player to come straight into the AFL.

Unless he blitzes the preseason I don't think he starts round one but I do think he will debut in the first half of the season.

Motlop played 35 games of football this year. That included losing WAFL premiership side. Across NTFL, WAFL, Rep footy / Colts. Not many of the draft played that much footy over last 2 seasons. Pretty unique. Says a bit about his physical conditioning / durability. Should be pretty good to go next season from a physical standpoint.
So we will have a good go with injury list next year 🤞

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2022 Best 22
B Kemp, JonesYoung, Newman
HB Williams, Weitering, Saad
C CERRA, Cripps, O’Brien
HF Honey, C.Curnow, Martin
F Owies, McKay, Silvagni

R TDK, Walsh, HEWETT
Int E Curnow, Stocker, Cuningham, Dow
Sub: Kennedy

Red - wow we need some one to step into this spot now
Green - we need these young guys to go to another level to make us competitive
Purple - they need to earn their coin
Orange - no pressure
Yellow - the spot is yours to take, please someone

Emergencies/Depth in order
Fogarty, Pittonet, Williamson, Fisher, Plowman, MCGovern

Emergencies / Potential for Break In Seasons
Carroll, Durdin, Motlop

I'm going to put a '23 for 22', but make a few notes.
I've assumed no injuries.
It won't be what would play Rd 1 (or at any time in 22).
It's a list that includes a couple of personal favs.
We have great depth. I've left out a few who will play mostly in 22 (top of the list, Nic Newman).
It's just for the sake of an exercise, I wonder how they would go together in a game...

B. Stocker Young Docherty
HB. Williams Weitering Saad
C. Philp Cripps Hewett
R. TDK Cerra Walsh
HF. Martin C.Curnow Honey
F. Motlop McKay JSOS
I/C. Ed.Curnow Kemp Cuningham Plowman
23rd. Kennedy

So many options for very few spots. Let the cream rise to the top.

Wing is such a massive unknown for us. Saad would have to be good there wouldn't he? We would have to replace him in defence and that's pretty hard. I've always thought Martin should be able to play there but I get a feeling that he struggles to stay niggle free and fit and the running might wear him down too much. O'Brien is the one I would love to see make it the most for his kicking, he is the most damaging option we have, when he finds the footy his inside 50 delivery sets up a lot of goals. Philp is a likely type because he just seems to have it all for a wingman.
Philp is a unit too. Saw him running around Princes Park in lockdown and did a double take. Looks strong and very little body fat. I reckon he's done a power of work to get his body ready for preseason.

Philp is a unit too. Saw him running around Princes Park in lockdown and did a double take. Looks strong and very little body fat. I reckon he's done a power of work to get his body ready for preseason.

I was kind of happy when Russell pulled him from the season early. No doubt he has had a power of training to get his body up to AFL level. Very excited to see him play, he's hard at the contest and the man, has terrific repeat efforts, a bit of mongrel and genuine speed and footy skills. I reckon he's ideal for the wing.

We have been a bit jibbed with our 2019 draftees. Two early picks and neither have been fit since but both very talented. Expecting both to be best 22 and have an impact next season.

Sorry but if you're putting in Kemp in your best 22 for round 1 I'm instantly scrolling to the next post.

2 games, 19 touches across both of them. He isn't ready.

Not sure why you're so quick to dismiss him. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Obviously he's not certain to be there in round one but if he gets through a full preseason he'd surely have to be in the conversation.

Do all clubs write off kids early on in the year because they're not ready?

Not sure why you're so quick to dismiss him. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Obviously he's not certain to be there in round one but if he gets through a full preseason he'd surely have to be in the conversation.

Do all clubs write off kids early on in the year because they're not ready?
Did I say I'm writing him off? Everyone's quick to jump on the hype train with these kids. Give him a month in the VFL then re-assess I say.

My starting defence looks like this.
Plowman Weitering Newman
Saad Young Williams

With Stocker on the bench able to play in defence and in the middle.

Next up, Williamson, Parks, Kemp, Omac, McGovern (not in order).

Marchbank is the wildcard. If he ready and firing he's first choice in front of either Plow or Newman.

But Plow and to a lesser extent Newman have Kemps role locked down imo.

Did I say I'm writing him off? Everyone's quick to jump on the hype train with these kids. Give him a month in the VFL then re-assess I say.

You wrote him off as an option for early in the year.
It's fine to not have him in there but it's not completely outrageous for others to suggest he might be.

If he's fit and ready to go there's no need to start him off in the VFL just because he's a kid.

But Plow and to a lesser extent Newman have Kemps role locked down imo.

All three of them played the final two games of the season.

You wrote him off as an option for early in the year.
It's fine to not have him in there but it's not completely outrageous for others to suggest he might be.

If he's fit and ready to go there's no need to start him off in the VFL just because he's a kid.

All three of them played the final two games of the season.
Kemp played because Jones wasn't there. We have Young now. He's clearly out of the team imo. 1 half decent game and 1 nothing game doesn't lock him in to spot imo. We also didn't have OMac available and McGovern hadn't been tried in defence ( which he will be this preseason).

Maybe if we have injury issues early, otherwise logic suggests he won't be playing round 1.

In saying that maybe he has an amazing pre-season (I think it's his first coming in healthy) and demands a spot. I just don't see it happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back