Opinion Best 22 for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

any updates on how zac williams is looking. If he pulls his head in could be seriously good for us. Just remember how good he was in the first 10 mins of quarters before he burnt out.

I think you've misunderstood the purpose of the exercise. Putting someone in your best 22 doesn't mean they're a lock to be there.
Locked in/first picked/starting whatever you want to call it, semantics. He isn't in our best team if everyone is fit (as of right now).

Locked in/first picked/starting whatever you want to call it, semantics. He isn't in our best team if everyone is fit (as of right now).
I think it’s a matter of anticipation vs proof right now.

I anticipate that Kemp will improve throughout 2022.

I would expect Kemp to be in our best 22. He would be given every opportunity to play every game next year, if fit

I think Kemp, Kennedy, McGovern and Philp will cement spots in 2022. Presuming fitness.

I'd like to think Dow will too, but not convinced.

Even less convinced again about LOB and Setters.

Can't see Cotters getting a run short of widespread injuries, ditto Newnes...but can see why the latter, in particular, was retained.

Of the small forward types, it's a tough one. Certainly Fisher's flexibility to roll through the guts offers him a point of difference.

But then again, Durdin and Honey are both brutal on their attack on the footy.

Owies went at over a goal a game in his dozen odd games, so credit to him.

And now there's Jesse, X factor personified.

With Martin a walk up, still reckon only 2 of these 4 get a gig.

Guaranteed a good few delistings @ end of 2022.

Based on your logic and going back a year Dow wasn’t best 22 at the start of last season As there was no real evidence to support him being best 22. But we put him in on natural progression, draft pedigree and a weak spot in our 22. He went on and started best 22.

The skill in this game is spotting the next breakthrough player and r3cognising talent coming thru. It is not head in sand stuff that denies selections based on previous years stats/form particularly with young progressing players. Your argument or logic really only holds true to some small degree to older players but even then it is dubious as you see players on contract renewal status go bezerk for a season (al la Gibbs).

I think you should put your shovel away.

Here my best 22.
B Stocker Young Plowman
HB Williams Weitering Saad
C Kemp Cripps Cerra
HF Martin TDK Honey
F Owies McKay Curnow
R Pittonet Walsh Hewett
Int Newman Fisher Motlop JSOS
Sub- Fogarty

Left Docherty out because I'm unclear if or when he'll be back.

I really think you’ve just completely misunderstood the thread.

Honey is someone I have in my best 22. Doesn’t mean I think he’s a lock to be there.

We get it. You don’t think Kemp starts the year in the senior side. That’s a fine and valid stance - equally valid to those tho think he might.

Reckon most would have 10-15 names "locked in".

The remaining spots are filled based on personal preference, and I suspect most would have one or two kids who are in on potential rather than dominant form. You can say "give Kemp a month in the reserves and then reassess", but it's equally fair to say "give Kemp a month in the seniors and then reassess".

I've got Kemp in the mix for a bench spot, myself. Versatility is a great trait, and giving him time at the top level could see him shine. If not, next soldier steps up for a bit.

Similar situation with Motlop. Personally think he'll be "best 22" in that our side will be better off with his skill set on the field. But I doubt he will be able to play the whole season, expect he'll be managed, and that will be balanced against the form and readiness of others (ie. Durdin).

I'll have a crack at round 1

Stocker Young Plowman
Saad Weitering Williams

Walsh Cripps Cerra
Pittonet Dow Hewett

Martin Charlie Fisher
Honey McKay TDK

Newman, JSOS, Kennedy, Curnow

I think Voss will want to go in with a fair bit of experience to begin with which means guys like Newman, Ed and Kennedy all get a game. However, there is still a good balance with some kids sprinkled around the ground.

I went with 2 ruckman (TDK playing forward) based on the 'almost fact' that McGovern will be injured or under-perform pre season (and likely becoming a defender) and that I expect TDK to impress early on, given he is healthy.

Oscar McDonald is a smokey to make this side if they are not impressed enough with Young or if there are unwanted injuries.

Hard to read what will happen to Ed this year. I think he will be a guy that gets moved around a lot to plug holes.

I hope I am wrong but I can't see Doc in this side for a while yet, if ever. Praying for him.

I expect to see a lot more rotations within the midfield group so just because Walsh and Cerra are listed on the wing, it doesn't mean they are locked in. Hopefully, the coaches move the chess pieces around more than DT.

I found it hard to leave out Durdin and Owies for that small forward role but at the moment, I think Honey has that bit more creativity and potential. Despite the hype just after the draft, I am not going to expect Motlop to make the team. I personally would like to see Martin play a deep forward role as well. His goal sense is hard to teach and he is good overhead.

This is probably the hardest side to pick for a while because of such newness in the coaching department and old coaches favourites like Murph, Betts and Casboult are not there. Our side is still a bit too reliant on potential. Dow, Charlie, Cerra (to an extent), TDK and Young.

Stocker is already a stud and hope to see him drift into the middle at times next year. I love this kid as much as I loved the junkyard dog Fraser Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what it’s worth:

Stocker, Young, Marchbank
Saad, Weitering, Williams
Martin, Walsh, Hewett
TDK, Cripps, Cerra
JSOS, Curnow, Fisher
Honey, McKay, Motlop
I/C: Plowman, Kennedy, Dow, Kemp

Dow gets first crack with Ed ready to break glass…

Im actually unsure of why everyone's putting Young into fullback for round 1? Surely you'd feel more comfortable with Omac taking the reigns until Young actually proves he can play the role in reserves or practice matches.
From what I've seen his not a Key Position defender apart from height, more of an interceptor you wouldn't actually expect to beat his man one on one to often? I'm not an expert though thats just my perspective from what I have seen.
I have about as much faith in TDK back there as Young at this very moment and I doubt anyone would be putting him at FB in the round 1 line-up.

Updated version

Plowman Young Kemp
Saad Weitering Docherty
Martin Cripps Williams
Silvagni McKay Cerra
TDK C Curnow Honey
Pittonet Walsh Hewett
E Curnow Stocker Kennedy Fisher
Sub: Dow

Copying Melbourne’s structure a bit with three talls and a medium at each end. Very good HB and HF lines to help us win contests at either end of the arcs. Cerra as a high HF with his beautiful delivery inside 50 an asset not many teams have. A lot of class on the wings with Williams and Martin. Hewett to be the Jack Viney to our version of Oliver and Petracca in Walsh and Cripps.

Kemp, Young, Marchbank
Walsh, Cripps, Fisher
Martin, Curnow, Honey
Motlop, McKay,, Durdin

TDK, Cerra, Dow

JSOS, Plowman, O'Brien, E. Curnow

Kemp, Young, Marchbank
Walsh, Cripps, Fisher
Martin, Curnow, Honey
Motlop, McKay,, Durdin

TDK, Cerra, Dow

JSOS, Plowman, O'Brien, E. Curnow
OUT; OBRIEN
IN; HEWITT...... Austin is not going to single him out to recruit unless they intend to play him [ Hewitt may get negating role on Martin straight up round 1 ]

Last edited:
B: Plowman-------------Weitering-----------Newman

H: Williams-------------McGovern------------Saad

C: Cuningham-----------Cripps--------------O'Brien

H: Martin---------------C.Curnow------------Silvagni

F: Motlop----------------McKay---------------Honey

Foll: De Koning, Cerra, Walsh

Bench: Marchbank, Hewett, Dow, Fisher

Emerg: Williamson, Young, E.Curnow, Setterfield, Kennedy, Stocker, Newnes, Philp, Owies

B: Plowman-------------Weitering-----------Newman

H: Williams-------------McGovern------------Saad

C: Cuningham-----------Cripps--------------O'Brien

H: Martin---------------C.Curnow------------Silvagni

F: Motlop----------------McKay---------------Honey

Foll: De Koning, Cerra, Walsh

Bench: Marchbank, Hewett, Dow, Fisher

Emerg: Williamson, Young, E.Curnow, Setterfield, Kennedy, Stocker, Newnes, Philp, Owies

Pretty close but there’s no hope in hell that Stocker will be emergency….best 18! All day.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im actually unsure of why everyone's putting Young into fullback for round 1? Surely you'd feel more comfortable with Omac taking the reigns until Young actually proves he can play the role in reserves or practice matches.
From what I've seen his not a Key Position defender apart from height, more of an interceptor you wouldn't actually expect to beat his man one on one to often? I'm not an expert though thats just my perspective from what I have seen.
I have about as much faith in TDK back there as Young at this very moment and I doubt anyone would be putting him at FB in the round 1 line-up.
Kid played in a grand final. Earned his chops. Give him a KP post to start 22. His job to lose. Don’t try to be Jones Mk11. Do you.

Stocker's stamina is the limiting factor here. He struggled last year when he first came in then improved in this department. Would love to hear he has the stamina to play in the middle. We all know Richmond overlooked him here as the key part of their game plan has been the ability to run up and down the ground better than anyone else. Think Stocker is going to have a big year, but what position is going to depend on his stamina which has apparently improved but coming from a fair way back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back