B: Kemp, Weitering, Stocker
HB: Docherty, Young, Saad
C: Walsh, Cripps, Williams
HF: Martin, C. Curnow, Dow
F: Fisher, McKay, Silvagni
R: TDK, Hewett, Cerra
IC: Pittonet, McGovern, E. Curnow, Honey
Sub: Kennedy

Marchbank, Plowman, Newnes, Setterfield, O’Brien, Newman, Cuningham, Owies next in line.

Last edited:
A realistic option with injuries taken into account.
B: Plowman Weitering Saad
HB: Newman Young Williams
C: Walsh Dow Cerra
HF: Martin Curnow Cunningham
F: Honey Mckay SOS
R: Pitto Cripps Kennedy
IC: Hewett Fisher Owies TDK

E: McGovern LOB Fogarty Kemp

Injuries: Doc Marchbank Stocker

I like this team. I hope Kennedy and Cripps can coexist in same team.

If we are considering injuries, can't see Cuners playing early

Plowman, Weitering, Saad
Williams, Young, Docherty
Cerra, Cripps, O’Brien
Silvagni, C Curnow, Martin
Owies, McKay, Honey
De Koning, Walsh, Hewitt
Stocker, Cuningham, Dow, E Curnow

Some additional points:
- I’m hoping that by year’s end Durdin and Motlop are putting pressure on Owies for a spot, and similarly Setterfield should be gunning for Ed’s spot, but I’m less confident about the latter.
- Young is a selection more out of necessity due to our severe lack of key position defenders and he’s a better back up ruck option than McDonald.
- I really like what I’ve seen of Honey and have a good feeling he is going to be a big improver this year.
- Dow is probably best 22 but this year he really has to deliver bigger returns more often otherwise Kennedy will take his spot and he’ll be out the door at the end of the year.
- I also suspect Kemp could be best 22 by the end of the year but I just haven’t seen enough of him to confidently say he is.
- I think Cuningham is miles ahead of the likes of Fisher, Carroll, Philp etc and I hope he stays injury free this season.
- Without wanting to start a war on this forum in my opinion LOB is already a better option on the wing than Newnes and Cottrell and should thrive now Teague is gone as he clearly didn’t rate him or have a game plan that suited him.
- Sadly after so long out due to injury I’ve given up on Marchbank as a best 22 option.
- I can only see McGovern succeeding as a third tall forward but I think forward line tackling pressure is a bigger priority for us.
The rest of the team pretty much pick themselves.

I see:

McDonald as more useful than Pittonet as he can play relief ruck/Forward or Defender and I hope TDK is the starting ruck choice
Docherty|Cuningham and Marchbank not starting in round one
Newman as a starting player in back pocket because of Docherty and Marchbanks unavailability
Cripps/Walsh/Cerra and Hewett are locks in midfield and I see both Ed and Kennedy as the next best two, Ed for his endurance and Kennedy for his contested work and ability to play forward
It would be nice to have 2 genuine wingmen - but at this stage I see Walsh sacrificing his game and taking one spot as a rotation at least and maybe one of Cerra or Hewett the other again as a rotation - especially as both Williams and Marin can rotate on ball.
Up forward the no brainer starters are: Charlie/Harry/Martin/McGovern/Honey and people can argue the toss over Fisher/Durdin/Owies in Cuningham's absence ( although I see Cuningham playing midfield when he gets back)

IC: I would play Kemp as the starting bench player for backs ( Stocker not counted due to injury)
Would have SOJ as the bench player for forwards

then two spots for mids out of a battle royale between Philp/Carroll/Dow/Setterfield/LoB and levels of confidence about all of them pretty low - which is why I believe we are still 1-2 mids short of happy place.

Plowman Young Newman
Saad Weitering Williams
Walsh Cripps Cerra
TDK Ed Kennedy
Martin Charlie McGovern
Owies Harry Honey

IC: Kemp XXX XXX XXX

Young/McDonald or whoever will be a huge ongoing issue for the side in '22 - thanks very much Jonesy.

People will fill the XXX's with their favourites- based n '21 form they are all 'hopes' at this stage - with SOJ having the most 'credibility' due to smarts and effort - but fitting him in in the absence of injury will get harder as time goes on - as a forward.

B: Plowman Young Saad
HB: Newman Weitering Williams
HF: Martin Curnow JSOS
F: Honey Mckay Kennedy
R: Pitto Cripps Hewett
IC: Kemp, Fisher, TDK, Owies/Durdin

E: McGovern LOB Fogarty

Injuries: Doc Marchbank Stocker Cuners

I see:

McDonald as more useful than Pittonet as he can play relief ruck/Forward or Defender and I hope TDK is the starting ruck choice
Docherty|Cuningham and Marchbank not starting in round one
Newman as a starting player in back pocket because of Docherty and Marchbanks unavailability
Cripps/Walsh/Cerra and Hewett are locks in midfield and I see both Ed and Kennedy as the next best two, Ed for his endurance and Kennedy for his contested work and ability to play forward
It would be nice to have 2 genuine wingmen - but at this stage I see Walsh sacrificing his game and taking one spot as a rotation at least and maybe one of Cerra or Hewett the other again as a rotation - especially as both Williams and Marin can rotate on ball.
Up forward the no brainer starters are: Charlie/Harry/Martin/McGovern/Honey and people can argue the toss over Fisher/Durdin/Owies in Cuningham's absence ( although I see Cuningham playing midfield when he gets back)

IC: I would play Kemp as the starting bench player for backs ( Stocker not counted due to injury)
Would have SOJ as the bench player for forwards

then two spots for mids out of a battle royale between Philp/Carroll/Dow/Setterfield/LoB and levels of confidence about all of them pretty low - which is why I believe we are still 1-2 mids short of happy place.

Plowman Young Newman
Saad Weitering Williams
Walsh Cripps Cerra
TDK Ed Kennedy
Martin Charlie McGovern
Owies Harry Honey

IC: Kemp XXX XXX XXX

Young/McDonald or whoever will be a huge ongoing issue for the side in '22 - thanks very much Jonesy.

People will fill the XXX's with their favourites- based n '21 form they are all 'hopes' at this stage - with SOJ having the most 'credibility' due to smarts and effort - but fitting him in in the absence of injury will get harder as time goes on - as a forward.
Nice, JAB. Hewett should be in that 22 somewhere, right?

Nice, JAB. Hewett should be in that 22 somewhere, right?
T@ Yep as per my post - I'd start Hewett on ball with Ed and put Kennedy next to Kemp as bench #2 - that leaves 2 IC picks that could go to anyone left on list - until Marchbank/Stocker/Cuningham/Docherty become available - then things get interesting trying to fit them all in and blokes like Plowman/Fisher/SOJ/Owies/Dow/Lob etc will struggle for game time..

we should have e serious form-based competition for spot(s) sooner rather than later - for the first time in a oh ...20yrs.:thumbsu:

Round 1 side for 2022

B: Silvagni, Weitering, Newman
HB: Williams, Young, Saad
C: Walsh, E. Curnow, Cerra
HF: Martin, C. Curnow, Hewett
F: Cripps, McKay, Owies
Foll: De Koning, Kennedy, Fisher
I/C: Fogarty, Stocker, McDonald, Kemp
Emerg: Honey, Newnes, Durdin

Plowman, Marchbank, McGovern, Dow, O'Brien.....can't see Vossy playing these x5, sorry to say. Time to move on and try other players.

Round 1 side for 2022

Plowman, Marchbank, McGovern, Dow, O'Brien.....can't see Vossy playing these x5, sorry to say. Time to move on and try other players.
Beyond interesting take indeed 🤔

Assuming delayed start dates for: Doc Cunningham Marchbank and Stoker.

I'm pencilling in:

Back 7
Weitering McGovern Plowman Saad Young Newman Williams

Inside Mids
Cripps Kennedy Walsh Curnow

Outside Mids
Cerra Hewett Fisher Dow

Forwards/Ruck
McKay Silvagni Curnow Martin Honey TDK Owies

Sub/Emg
Kemp Setterfield LOB

Beyond interesting take indeed 🤔
All good, what is the most interesting? The 5 x players (Plowman, Marchbank, McGovern, Dow, O'Brien) I listed that I don't think Vossy will select? It is a big call, but personally, I don't think they will contribute enough (injuries make this even more difficult) and lift Carlton to the next level we need to go. I also think Silvagni should be selected as a defender, will be interesting to see where Voss plays him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All good, what is the most interesting? The 5 x players (Plowman, Marchbank, McGovern, Dow, O'Brien) I listed that I don't think Vossy will select? It is a big call, but personally, I don't think they will contribute enough (injuries make this even more difficult) and lift Carlton to the next level we need to go. I also think Silvagni should be selected as a defender, will be interesting to see where Voss plays him.
Cripps in a forward pocket and Fisher on ball are two that stand out…

Round 1 side for 2022

takes some audacity to crash into a pack running with the flight of the ball, get up, dust off and post that team for your inaugeral effort..........nice shake up

Well you mention round 1, 2022. Stocker I very much doubt will be there to start.

Cripps in the forward pocket.

Silvangi, nothing to me thinks he is a back pocket player.

You have Newnes in the team and you mention "time to move on" from those 5 you listed but Newnes is still there. I didn't get that.

I'm ok with you having your opinion but you maybe surprised by some of the 5 you think aren't good enough

Round 1 side for 2022

Can definitely see the thinking behind some of these positional changes.

Is it Cripps of 2020/2021 or Cripps of 2019. Depending which Cripps shows up it’s either midfield or forward/bench. Cripps needs to be able to run defensively. I noticed in one of his good years he played less game minutes. They seem to have crept up quite a bit Which has correlated with a drop in form. The Carlton match committee need to lessen Cripps minutes per game to keep him fresh and enable run.

Silver in the back line is a decent option. I think the weakness of Plowman is no speed on the defensive lead so I’m not sure JSoS offers an improvement in that area. I agree with you though that JSoS is just a better footballer than Plowman and his AFL IQ is much higher. His tenacity at the role would eclipse Plowman as well.

Id only pinch hit Fisher in the midfield personally. He can’t physically impose himself enough to warrant a starting role when the going gets tough.

In the harsh light of day 4 of the 5 players you mentioned down the bottom are facing their moment of truth based on what they offer. On a fan site this won’t win you many plaudits in calling them out but think you are close to the money.

who the * is tom williams?

Hey everyone. I've posted a Carlton season preview on The Roar. Any constructive feedback/criticism is more than welcome!

Appreciate your perspective, there’s not much I can argue with. However I think you’ve completely missed the mark on Cerra and our balance of inside vs outside mids. Just about the last thing we need on our list is another inside mid. On the flip side, our wings (particularly pre cerra) would be up there with the worst in the comp.
I don’t believe you’ve assessed Cerra accurately either, as I think he’s quite capable of playing an inside role. Not a selwood or Mitchell type, but something like a Pendlebury or Duncan (when required).

Hey everyone. I've posted a Carlton season preview on The Roar. Any constructive feedback/criticism is more than welcome!

You are way off the mark with Cerra, he is exactly what we need in that he can get from the inside to outside and is elite at inside 50 connections, a significant flaw in out attacking game. If fact your assessment of the midfield is cursory at best. We are overloaded with inside mids (which includes wings) and need run and carry as well as improved efficiency in there desperately.

Reasonable overall commentary.

Thanks for your article and it's had a lot of effort go into it so we'll done!

A few things I think you've gotten wrong, bur 1st, I just don't get your reasoning why Cerra wasn't a good get? And as for Wingers? Who do we have on our list that is an out and out gun in this position? Cerra can play midfield and looks good going forward. I honestly think this was a great get by our club.

I very much agree Hewett was an astute pick up for us and will be a great player moving forward with his Sydney knowledge and game belief. Kid can play and is coming into his prime. No picks given and he looks the goods.

Honey and Durdin you class as nobodies but I actually don't think you could be further from the truth. Both showed a bit for us supporters who have seen a lot of good players, for us to see both of these players will be very handy. Add to that the recruitment of probably the best small forward in this year's draft in Motlop (yes young and hasn't played a game) and the immediate future looks bright in our forward line. These 3 will be exciting players for our club.

Depth is looking extremely good except for the obvious as you have stated so fingers crossed we can stay on the park.

2 names to watch out for: Carroll and Philp.

Thank you though for your opinion and a pretty good article👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back