Opinion Best 22 for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Appreciate your perspective, there’s not much I can argue with. However I think you’ve completely missed the mark on Cerra and our balance of inside vs outside mids. Just about the last thing we need on our list is another inside mid. On the flip side, our wings (particularly pre cerra) would be up there with the worst in the comp.
I don’t believe you’ve assessed Cerra accurately either, as I think he’s quite capable of playing an inside role. Not a selwood or Mitchell type, but something like a Pendlebury or Duncan (when required).

Yeah, I've got this from plenty of Carlton and Fremantle supporters regarding Cerra. I respect the opinion, but the stats don't back this up and I've watched a fair bit of Fremantle over the last couple of years (I clearly don't do much on Sunday nights) and I haven't seen him do anything of note inside the contest.

He should improve this area of his game, but time will tell. Thanks for the read!

Thanks for your article and it's had a lot of effort go into it so we'll done!

A few things I think you've gotten wrong, bur 1st, I just don't get your reasoning why Cerra wasn't a good get? And as for Wingers? Who do we have on our list that is an out and out gun in this position? Cerra can play midfield and looks good going forward. I honestly think this was a great get by our club.

I very much agree Hewett was an astute pick up for us and will be a great player moving forward with his Sydney knowledge and game belief. Kid can play and is coming into his prime. No picks given and he looks the goods.

Honey and Durdin you class as nobodies but I actually don't think you could be further from the truth. Both showed a bit for us supporters who have seen a lot of good players, for us to see both of these players will be very handy. Add to that the recruitment of probably the best small forward in this year's draft in Motlop (yes young and hasn't played a game) and the immediate future looks bright in our forward line. These 3 will be exciting players for our club.

Depth is looking extremely good except for the obvious as you have stated so fingers crossed we can stay on the park.

2 names to watch out for: Carroll and Philp.

Thank you though for your opinion and a pretty good article👍

I think Williams is a very good winger when he's fit and firing. He was a very good player at the Giants and I can't see any reason he can't get back to that form. I also expect Curnow to be pushed out to a wing potentially, as well as the likes of Williamson, Stocker (maybe), and Hewett if the Blues play him in that position can also be a very good wingman.

I know where you're coming from with the smalls mentioned, but I can't have any confidence in them kicking 20+ goals in a season which is a concern. Hopefully for your sake, you are right, as it's a position that needs one of these young guys to break out in.

Thanks for the read and the feedback!

Hey everyone. I've posted a Carlton season preview on The Roar. Any constructive feedback/criticism is more than welcome!

I think you’ve done an excellent job. The only thing I completely disagree on is Cerra. Most of our young potential mids (Dow, Philp, Carrol, Stocker) are inside mids plus Cripps, Hewett are capable inside and Walsh being inside/outside I think Cerra (not totally outside) rounds it off perfectly.

I know where you're coming from with the smalls mentioned, but I can't have any confidence in them kicking 20+ goals in a season which is a concern. Hopefully for your sake, you are right, as it's a position that needs one of these young guys to break out in.

If Honey plays 15 games in 22, 20 goals shouldn't be an issue imo. He is creative and I actually think he will be a very very good player for our club. Played 5 games in 2021 and 3 of those games in a row kicked 2 goals in each and looked very lively. I'm beyond confident in this guy and I'm glad you have him named in the best 22 as he will 100% be.

I'm actual happy that opposition supporters can't see where the growth in these types will come from and forecast the improvement not only in their game but what they will add to what we have been lacking. Durdin will be another that creeps up on you.

Again, thanks for your level headed replies and your insight into how you view our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I've got this from plenty of Carlton and Fremantle supporters regarding Cerra. I respect the opinion, but the stats don't back this up and I've watched a fair bit of Fremantle over the last couple of years (I clearly don't do much on Sunday nights) and I haven't seen him do anything of note inside the contest.

He should improve this area of his game, but time will tell. Thanks for the read!

I think Williams is a very good winger when he's fit and firing. He was a very good player at the Giants and I can't see any reason he can't get back to that form. I also expect Curnow to be pushed out to a wing potentially, as well as the likes of Williamson, Stocker (maybe), and Hewett if the Blues play him in that position can also be a very good wingman.

Matt Owies kicked 15 in 13 games last year....

Just because he’s been asked to play a certain role doesn’t mean he couldn’t play another. Using stats to back up reasoning that he can’t is flawed. In his own draft video he’s asked what position he plays, his response was “inside mid”.
He plays outside mid/wing at freo because whilst he is capable inside, he’s also capable outside. Freo have brayshaw, fyfe, Mundy, serong and Acres all are better suited to inside roles.

Cerra is 22 years old, most inside mids don't come on until they are 23. It's easy to forget how old some of these guys are and start saying they can't do this and can't do that and write them off in general.

If you are 23 and you can't play or you can't play a certain role then fair enough but many of these guys on our list are still developing. This is why Cerra was such a bargain because he's so young and his best footy hasn't been played yet.

Same goes for Dow, O'Brien, Young, Fisher etc

Cerra is 22 years old, most inside mids don't come on until they are 23. It's easy to forget how old some of these guys are and start saying they can't do this and can't do that and write them off in general.

If you are 23 and you can't play or you can't play a certain role then fair enough but many of these guys on our list are still developing. This is why Cerra was such a bargain because he's so young and his best footy hasn't been played yet.

Same goes for Dow, O'Brien, Young, Fisher etc

Cerra would canter into the starting midfield of any team in the AFL - and he's 3 or 4 years from reaching his peak....

Nice problem to have - whether you classify him as in inside or outside or hybrid.

It's moot.

Just because he’s been asked to play a certain role doesn’t mean he couldn’t play another. Using stats to back up reasoning that he can’t is flawed. In his own draft video he’s asked what position he plays, his response was “inside mid”.
He plays outside mid/wing at freo because whilst he is capable inside, he’s also capable outside. Freo have brayshaw, fyfe, Mundy, serong and Acres all are better suited to inside roles.
Acres? He’s a wingman and aside from pinch hitting in the ruck (with little success) I’ve never seen him play inside midfielder and from the games I saw Cerra spent much more time in the middle than Acres.

Cerra is capable of playing inside and outside which is what we need as we have too many who can only one or the other. He also has better foot skills than pretty much anyone else in our team.

When you put all this together with the likelihood he has another 10 years of playing football ahead of him, he appears to be a very good fit for us.

Acres? He’s a wingman and aside from pinch hitting in the ruck (with little success) I’ve never seen him play inside midfielder and from the games I saw Cerra spent much more time in the middle than Acres.

Cerra is capable of playing inside and outside which is what we need as we have too many who can only one or the other. He also has better foot skills than pretty much anyone else in our team.

When you put all this together with the likelihood he has another 10 years of playing football ahead of him, he appears to be a very good fit for us.
He was at the Saints. Freo may be using him in a different role, stand corrected if so. Agree with the rest of your post.

Newman Weitering Kemp
Plowman McGovern Saad
Cerra Curnow Walsh
Pittonet Cripps Kennedy
Fisher Curnow Silvagni
Owies McKay Honey

Williams Dow Martin Hewett

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back