Opinion Best 22 for 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Stocker's stamina is the limiting factor here. He struggled last year when he first came in then improved in this department. Would love to hear he has the stamina to play in the middle. We all know Richmond overlooked him here as the key part of their game plan has been the ability to run up and down the ground better than anyone else. Think Stocker is going to have a big year, but what position is going to depend on his stamina which has apparently improved but coming from a fair way back.
Richmond didn’t have a pick before the one we used on Stocker.

Richmond didn’t have a pick before the one we used on Stocker.

Richmond interviewed him a few years back and were critical of his endurance. There was an article recently about Stocker training in a gym with Ben Crocker, mentioned his poor 2km time trial and how he has improved on that. It's an issue for him but if he was able to get his endurance up to midfield level he's going to be a really good player for us, back or midfield.

Richmond interviewed him a few years back and were critical of his endurance. There was an article recently about Stocker training in a gym with Ben Crocker, mentioned his poor 2km time trial and how he has improved on that. It's an issue for him but if he was able to get his endurance up to midfield level he's going to be a really good player for us, back or midfield.
Yeah, everyone knows that. They didn’t have a pick in the draft at all before the one Stocker was taken with to overlook him. You claimed we all know Richmond overlooked him, it never happened.

Wasn't it that we traded up to get him before Richmond and it turned out Richmond didn't really mind?

For the price we paid, you'd have hoped he would be primed to play midfield minutes...alas, back pocket.

Stocker's stamina is the limiting factor here. He struggled last year when he first came in then improved in this department. Would love to hear he has the stamina to play in the middle. We all know Richmond overlooked him here as the key part of their game plan has been the ability to run up and down the ground better than anyone else. Think Stocker is going to have a big year, but what position is going to depend on his stamina which has apparently improved but coming from a fair way back.

Think this is an over beaten theme....he's been in the system how many years?

Anyways....

FB: Stocker - Young - Newman
HB: Saad - Weitering - Williams
C: E.Curnow - Cripps - Cerra
HF: Cuningham - C.Curnow - Fogarty
FF: Durdin - McKay - Honey
R: TDK - Walsh - Hewett

Int: Fisher - Dow - McGovern - Kemp
Sub: JSOS

Depth:
Def:

Williamson - Should be in the side. Depending on needs could swap with Newman.
McDonald - Great depth player & depending on form could replace Young in the side (Fwd/Def).
L.Parks - Great 1on1 defender. Average decision making & disposal.
Plowman - Great kick & good decision maker when he has space. Unfortunately, he’s one of the worst defenders in the AFL + poor leg speed. Depth player at best.
Docherty - No expectations this year
Marchbank - No expectations this year.

Mid:
M.Kennedy - Should be in the side (Fwd/Mid). Only team balance keeps him out.
Carroll - Very high hopes for this one, but still needs to prove himself at the level.
LOB - Hoping the penny drops this year, we are screaming out for a genuine wingmen.
Newnes - Good depth player.
Cottrell - Good depth player.
Setterfield - Sits behind Cripps & Kennedy. Needs to fix his goal kicking.
Philp - High hopes for this one, but still needs to prove himself at the level.
Pittonet - Just behind TDK.

Fwd:
Martin - I still have high hopes for Martin, but at this stage Fogarty has done more.
JSOS - Should be in the side. Could easily come in for Kemp or McGovern - but have erred on the side of leg speed & agility.
Owies - Unlucky! Very close call between he and Durdin.
Motlop - Hoping we are past the days of rushing 1st year players into the side. Give him time.

I got the feeling it was more of an interview question to make him uncomfortable and see how he reacted. Not all big bodied 18yr olds have AFL ready endurance.

Depth:
Def:

McDonald - Great depth player & depending on form could replace Young in the side (Fwd/Def).
Plowman - Great kick & good decision maker when he has space. Unfortunately, he’s one of the worst defenders in the AFL + poor leg speed. Depth player at best.

Mid:
Carroll - Very high hopes for this one, but still needs to prove himself at the level.
LOB - Hoping the penny drops this year, we are screaming out for a genuine wingmen.

Fwd:
Martin - I still have high hopes for Martin, but at this stage Fogarty has done more.
JSOS - Should be in the side. Could easily come in for Kemp or McGovern - but have erred on the side of leg speed & agility.
Motlop - Hoping we are past the days of rushing 1st year players into the side. Give him time.

Zero chance of Fogarty getting a game ahead of Martin. Less than zero.

Depth:
Def:

Mid:

Fwd:

Plowman one worst defenders in the AFL? Far out he really does cop it from Carlton supporters.

He is a fantastic defender and plays well on tall, small and resting mids. Sure there has been some players who get the better of him, but doesn’t happen often. It also happens to the very best of defenders from time to time.

Plowman is a lock in the back 6 for mine. So much of his best work is done off the ball, which supporters fail to see. There is a reason he has finished highly in our best and fairest the past three years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Plowman one worst defenders in the AFL? Far out he really does cop it from Carlton supporters.

He is a fantastic defender and plays well on tall, small and resting mids. Sure there has been some players who get the better of him, but doesn’t happen often. It also happens to the very best of defenders from time to time.

Plowman is a lock in the back 6 for mine. So much of his best work is done off the ball, which supporters fail to see. There is a reason he has finished highly in our best and fairest the past three years.

Who votes on the Club F & B? (serious qn., I don't know)

Clearly, more than 1 punter...

Plow's ben up there for a few years now. That's not coincidence!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B Plowman Young McGovern
HB Saad Weitering Williams
C Cerra Cripps LOB
HF Silvagni Charlie Honey
F Motlop Harry Durdin
R TDK Walsh Stocker
INT Hewett Carroll Philp Martin
SUB Dow

Have gone with youth and feel we need more games into some of our high quality kids. Plus I'd like to run Richmond off their feet and beat them at their own game...

Stocker to play on ball. Only going 1 ruck and Silvagni to chop out against Richmond.

Case easily made for Fisher and Kennedy and I'm sure a few others. I'm also possibly forgetting a few...

Last edited:
Yeah, everyone knows that. They didn’t have a pick in the draft at all before the one Stocker was taken with to overlook him. You claimed we all know Richmond overlooked him, it never happened.

That being so it's not really the point. Stocker's stamina is and appears to be the hurdle between he and playing in the midfield.

This is probably one of the things I don't like about modern footy and something that makes me question interchange caps. Without interchange caps Stocker probably plays in the midfield and comes on and off the ground a lot. Now you have to be a supreme athlete to effectively play midfield rather than a pure footballer which sees lesser talented players playing in prime roles.

Anyway lets see how he goes. I have pencilled him into a midfield spot next year but really that comes down to his ability to run hard and maintain that level of intensity.

That being so it's not really the point. Stocker's stamina is and appears to be the hurdle between he and playing in the midfield.

This is probably one of the things I don't like about modern footy and something that makes me question interchange caps. Without interchange caps Stocker probably plays in the midfield and comes on and off the ground a lot. Now you have to be a supreme athlete to effectively play midfield rather than a pure footballer which sees lesser talented players playing in prime roles.

Anyway lets see how he goes. I have pencilled him into a midfield spot next year but really that comes down to his ability to run hard and maintain that level of intensity.
But Kevin Bartlett swears the key to returning football to how it used to be is reducing rotations even lower?!…

I agree g-man. The concept of reduced rotations reducing congestion and creating more space is kind of flawed in that it means having a big tank is one of the most important factors. Much harder for younger players and power athlete types while giving an advantage to the endurance athletes who can run all day.

Although it does benefit someone like Walsh who is a top tier runner AND footballer.

He's worked hard over the off-season.
His pervious best time trial was 6:50 and he just hit his new PB of 6:25 I believe after working with our very own Ben Crocker from the VLF side

Just read your reply, you've seen the artilce as well. sounding driven

Will be good to see him with, hopefully, a proper team defence.

Reckon most would have 10-15 names "locked in".

The remaining spots are filled based on personal preference, and I suspect most would have one or two kids who are in on potential rather than dominant form. You can say "give Kemp a month in the reserves and then reassess", but it's equally fair to say "give Kemp a month in the seniors and then reassess".

I've got Kemp in the mix for a bench spot, myself. Versatility is a great trait, and giving him time at the top level could see him shine. If not, next soldier steps up for a bit.

Similar situation with Motlop. Personally think he'll be "best 22" in that our side will be better off with his skill set on the field. But I doubt he will be able to play the whole season, expect he'll be managed, and that will be balanced against the form and readiness of others (ie. Durdin).
The problem with giving a month in the vfl and then reassessing is that often that ends up being like 1 game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back