Team Mgmt. Best 22 for '22

Remove this Banner Ad

Snelling is also a lock. He's not Stringer or Shiel level either.
If he has a good pre season. Plenty of comp for places in the non KPs

Look at this team with neither Kelly or Snelling…possible?

FB: Hind Stewart Laverde
HB: Redman Ridley Heppell
C: Cox Merrett Durham
HF: Langford Jones Shiel
FF: Perkins Wright Stringer
R: Draper Parish McGrath

INT: Hobbs Francis Caldwell Smith

Kelly
Snelling
Cutler
Guelfi
Hurley
Ham
Tippa

That’s a s**t load of competition…and a good spot to be in. Locks my arse

As I said; take it up with the coaches.

Snelling came 3rd in the B&F, Kelly was head-hunted.

Whether you like it or not, pretty clearly the coaches would be expecting those guys to be well inside the best-22.
I don't think we have as important a small forward of centre as Snelling is. If he is upgraded then we really are going places

If he has a good pre season. Plenty of comp for places in the non KPs

Look at this team with neither Kelly or Snelling…possible?

FB: Hind Stewart Laverde
HB: Redman Ridley Heppell
C: Cox Merrett Durham
HF: Langford Jones Shiel
FF: Perkins Wright Stringer
R: Draper Parish McGrath

INT: Hobbs Francis Caldwell Smith

Kelly
Snelling
Cutler
Guelfi
Hurley
Ham
Tippa

That’s a sh*t load of competition…and a good spot to be in. Locks my arse
You’ve got your head in the clouds if you don’t think Snelling is a lock

Snellings more of a lock then Kelly but id say both are starting round 1 especially with Reid out of contention now. A fully fit Reid and there are some serious talks about who of Stewart or J.Kelly miss with everyone fit

Anything to read into Hind and Redman on B side on match sim? and Durham in the A side

Guelfi to play onball in the VFL next to Hobbs. I dont mind that. As long as he gets some wing time aswell or rest forward so hes resdy to go in those roles. As he wont be required onball in AFL

Last edited:
Obviously a lot of pre-season left to go, but my gut tells me our round 1 team will end up looking something like this.

FB: Kelly Stewart Laverde
HB: Hind Ridley Heppell
C: Langford Parish Shiel
HF: Snelling Jones Francis
FF: Stringer Wright Smith
R: Draper Caldwell Merrett

INT: Redman McGrath Cox Perkins

Only query for mine is whether Walla is fully fit by round 1, in which case, you need to call into question whether Smith still gets his chance to show he deserves to be best 22 (which is an open question), or if they bump him down to the VFL to keep getting games into the kids (frankly I'd be happy to keep Smith and Walla in, andd give one of Cox or Perkins a chance to dominate in the VFL and build confidence, but both deserve best 22 spots on exposed 2021 form). Guelfi is the unlucky one here really as he doesn't do anything wrong, but I imagine he comes in as injury cover to this side and is effectively our "23rd man" for season 2022. He'll play plenty of AFL as the year rolls on. Hobbs will earn his stripes in the VFL but hopefully he'll be putting selection pressure on these blokes before the season is out.

EMG: Guelfi Durham Hobbs

The thing to watch for mine in 2022 is the book-ends. Both Stewart and Wright can be best described as serviceable in their respective roles, but neither will ever be a "superstar" key position player and handily we have very well credentialed juniors coming through in each spot. If Reid and Baldwin can each get a full run at it in the VFL this season, I wouldn't be surprised if they usurp those FB and FF positions respectively by 2023.

Going on what they have worked on at training Kelly plays so that Ridley can play attacking half back . Heppell is also on record saying he may need to play some time up the ground as well as half back. Cutler may be the unlucky one given his half back form was really good but Ridley in his role is most likely the best option with Kelly taking the more defensive role deep.

Bizarre to compare a band 5 compo recruit to Stringer and Shiel.

One was recruited the be a cog in the best-22. The others to be star power in the best half dozen players in the side.
In fairness, GBB is pointing out that by declaring Kelly a lock for R1, it's you guys who are comparing Kelly to Stringer and Shiel.

The knock on Kelly is that he has a tendency to be indecisive which slows the rebound and to turn it over by foot as a result at times. This has already been evident at training this preseason.

FWIW, I think Kelly will play as part of a 7 man rotation. I look at Redman and Heppell and see the possibility for time on the wing. Cox and Langford for time at HF. Stringer to MF. Andy to HB. Etc etc.

We're looking like a team with multidisciplinary players who can switch roles for versatility on gameday. What we want is Truck to develop some serious gamesmanship on the day, and push the pieces around effectively when something's not working.

Obviously a lot of pre-season left to go, but my gut tells me our round 1 team will end up looking something like this.

FB: Kelly Stewart Laverde
HB: Hind Ridley Heppell
C: Langford Parish Shiel
HF: Snelling Jones Francis
FF: Stringer Wright Smith
R: Draper Caldwell Merrett

INT: Redman McGrath Cox Perkins

Only query for mine is whether Walla is fully fit by round 1, in which case, you need to call into question whether Smith still gets his chance to show he deserves to be best 22 (which is an open question), or if they bump him down to the VFL to keep getting games into the kids (frankly I'd be happy to keep Smith and Walla in, andd give one of Cox or Perkins a chance to dominate in the VFL and build confidence, but both deserve best 22 spots on exposed 2021 form). Guelfi is the unlucky one here really as he doesn't do anything wrong, but I imagine he comes in as injury cover to this side and is effectively our "23rd man" for season 2022. He'll play plenty of AFL as the year rolls on. Hobbs will earn his stripes in the VFL but hopefully he'll be putting selection pressure on these blokes before the season is out.

EMG: Guelfi Durham Hobbs

The thing to watch for mine in 2022 is the book-ends. Both Stewart and Wright can be best described as serviceable in their respective roles, but neither will ever be a "superstar" key position player and handily we have very well credentialed juniors coming through in each spot. If Reid and Baldwin can each get a full run at it in the VFL this season, I wouldn't be surprised if they usurp those FB and FF positions respectively by 2023.
Not sure if you know, Hobbs picked up the first 2 or 3 clearances playing against Parish, Merrett, Shiel and Stringer, and with Phillips as his ruckman, in the intraclub on Thursday. He's already put the acid on those guys. Another preseason performance like that and he'd play R1, if he isn't already.

In fairness, GBB is pointing out that by declaring Kelly a lock for R1, it's you guys who are comparing Kelly to Stringer and Shiel.

Not really analogous.

Snelling is a lock for R1 but wouldn’t be comparable to Stringer or Shiel given the expectations are totally different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well yeah, if you're viewing it through a different lens. The lens you all were talking about is lock or not.
The problem is that if we're talking about who is and isn't a lock, it's not just Stringer and Smith that are also locks.

Making that comparison implies that you have to be as good as Stringer and Smith to be a 'lock', when in reality you only have to be better than the 23rd available guy on the list.

A better question, perhaps, is who would be keeping Kelly out? We don't have a better lockdown defender available to play on the smalls.

Well after Tippa’s indefinite leave, and Reid’s absence due to injury it could shake up my line up.

Guelfi to play up forward, think he can be useful forward and has a knack for goals. Cox to play the third tall forward and switch between the wing.

B Kelly Stewart Hind
HB Heppell Laverde Ridley
C Langford McGrath Merrett
HF Stringer Jones Snelling
F Smith Wright Guelfi
FOLL: Draper Shiel Parish
INTER: Caldwell, Redman, Cox, Perkins

You would have to think our back 6 (7) looks like this;

KP1 - Jayden Laverde
KP2 - James Stewart

SD1 (rebounder / lock down) - Jordan Ridley
SD2 (rebounder) - Nick Hind
SD3 (rebounder2) - Dyson Heppel / Mason Redman

SD4 (lock down) - Jake Kelly

BENCH - Mason Redman / Dyson Heppel

VFL & depth

KD - Brandon Zerk Thatcher, Zac Reid, Cody Brand Josh Eyre, Cian McBride

SD - Andy McGrath, Matt Guelfi, Tom Cutler, Sam Durhaam, Garatt McDonagh, Alistair Lord

Good depth and options outside of that group, even with some in and around the best 22. But that is the back 6 (7) I expect us to go with in round 1.

I don’t think Kelly is a lock. He’s a defensive stopper. If you look at that role last year we often had Francis playing it, which he is not suited to. Kelly gives us an option there which we need. Stewart is incredibly injury plagued. So is Laverde, though hopefully he’s over it. We don’t really have any other mid-tall defensive types. Ridley can do it but is better deployed otherwise. They don’t seem too keen on BZT. Kelly gives us an option. He’s not what I’d call a “lock” but I think he’ll definitely get his chance and will play plenty. And when he does, like anybody, if he does his job and plays well he’ll keep his spot.

R1 locks for me (injury permitting)

Stringer
Heppell
Merrett
Parish
Draper
Laverde
McGrath
Snelling
Hind
Langford
Ridley
Shiel
Wright

13 there. The rest will work themselves out thru training and practice matches.

Last edited:
I don’t think Kelly is a lock. He’s a defensive stopper. If you look at that role last year we often had Francis playing it, which he is not suited to. Kelly gives us an option there which we need. Stewart is incredibly injury plagued. So is Laverde, though hopefully he’s over it. We don’t really have any other mid-tall defensive types. Ridley can do it but is better deployed otherwise. They don’t seem too keen on BZT. Kelly gives us an option. He’s not what I’d call a “lock” but I think he’ll definitely get his chance and will play plenty. And when he does, like anybody, if he does his job and plays well he’ll keep his spot.

R1 locks for me (injury permitting)

Stringer
Heppell
Merrett
Parish
Draper
Laverde
McGrath
Snelling
Hind
Langford
Ridley
Shiel
Wright

13 there. The rest will work themselves out thru training and practice matches.
+ Caldwell, Cox, Perkins, Smith (with Walla out) and Jones if fit.

Not sure I’d call Cox or Perkins locks for best 22 in round 1. Could see those last couple spots coming down to Cox/Perkins/Durham/Hobbs, with whoever doesn’t make it having to force their way in through VFL form.

The others though, definitely. Smith is very important now with Walla out, hopefully he’s much more disciplined this year.

For me

Cox, Perkins, HJ, Francis, Dev Smith, Tippa are the only ones not locked in our best 23

Im also less convinced on Redman than others are (I know ill get shot down for mentioning him with the above names)

Baldwin challenging the 2 talls

Hobbs challenging a different setup to play Stringer forward more after CBA with 2 talls fwd

Durham challenging N.Cox and maybe Redman across half back

If tippas fit its a fight between picking Perkins vs Dev Smith. Can they consider playing Hobbs fwd instead of these guys aswell? I think so

There the questions being asked i hope

The problem is that if we're talking about who is and isn't a lock, it's not just Stringer and Smith that are also locks.

Making that comparison implies that you have to be as good as Stringer and Smith to be a 'lock', when in reality you only have to be better than the 23rd available guy on the list.

A better question, perhaps, is who would be keeping Kelly out? We don't have a better lockdown defender available to play on the smalls.
Yep. It is the role that he has locked down. I think the unlucky ones will be Cutler or Guelfi. Interesting, Guelfi played midfield for the weaker team in the intraclub.

For me

Cox, Perkins, HJ, Francis, Dev Smith, Tippa are the only ones not locked in our best 23

Im also less convinced on Redman than others are (I know ill get shot down for mentioning him with the above names)

Baldwin challenging the 2 talls

Hobbs challenging a different setup to play Stringer forward more after CBA with 2 talls fwd

Durham challenging N.Cox and maybe Redman across half back

If tippas fit its a fight between picking Perkins vs Dev Smith. Can they consider playing Hobbs fwd instead of these guys aswell? I think so

There the questions being asked i hope
Walla's on indefinite leave away from the club so Dev will surely play.

Redman has started kicking goals from 50m out, takes his marks, has a laser boot and, importantly, sticks his tackles. There is no way Durham challenges Redders yet, though he may be his understudy. He has a nice kick and holds his width.

I see Stringer now as a bull mid who can go forward. When he goes to CBs, we start winning them more. I'd like to see a return to the three tall forwardline we had with Hooker, Daniher and Stewart in 2017; Wright, Jones and Baldwin clunking marks from Stringer, Merrett and Parish. In any case, if Jones's ankle is still troublesome by R1, we might see Baldwin anyway.

I think Hobbs and Caldwell will play. We should see Parish's possession numbers flatten a bit over time as those two become more consistent ball users, but that will be good for the team.

Walla's on indefinite leave away from the club so Dev will surely play.

Redman has started kicking goals from 50m out, takes his marks, has a laser boot and, importantly, sticks his tackles. There is no way Durham challenges Redders yet, though he may be his understudy. He has a nice kick and holds his width.

I see Stringer now as a bull mid who can go forward. When he goes to CBs, we start winning them more. I'd like to see a return to the three tall forwardline we had with Hooker, Daniher and Stewart in 2017; Wright, Jones and Baldwin clunking marks from Stringer, Merrett and Parish. In any case, if Jones's ankle is still troublesome by R1, we might see Baldwin anyway.

I think Hobbs and Caldwell will play. We should see Parish's possession numbers flatten a bit over time as those two become more consistent ball users, but that will be good for the team.
Yep Dev will get first crack

You saying Hobbs in for round 1 aswell?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back