Team Mgmt. Best 22 for '22

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
We’ll see a few surprises come round 1 imho.

The addition of Kelly throws a spammer in the works as he should be our #1 shut down small defender which means one of Heppell, Redman or Hind misses out (presumably to the bench or up the ground).

The added pre season and development of the ‘19 & ‘20 draft classes will increase pressure on best 22 spots. Looking at Cox and Durham to increase pressure on our mature wings, Perkins to pressure Devon, Tippa, Snelling etc up forward whilst the big tickets Reid and Baldwin should be given every opportunity to play AFL and pressure where we are looking to settle them.

Injuries aside, getting a consistent output from those 3rd tier guys and our kids could improve our position moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWeapon

Club Legend
May 20, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Goddards best 22:

B: Redman Reid (Stewart when not Reid) Kelly
HB: Hind Lav Ridley

C: Cox Parish McGrath
Foll: Draper Merrett Caldwell

HF: Langford 2MP Perkins
F: Jones Stringer Walla

B: Shiel Heppell Smith Durham

I think this is pretty good for a round 1 team but I would prefer Snelling to Smith on the bench. Would hope some of our young talls break into the team by years end especially Bryan (could be a 3rd tall, Jones to CHF and Stringer more mid-forward). Will be interesting to see where Cox plays, still think he could be a dominant CHB

TheDONFather333

Draftee
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus, Manchester United
B: Kelly Reid Ridley
HB: Hind Stewart McGrath
C: Durham Langford Cox
HF: Perkins Jones Stringer
F: Snelling Wright McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Draper Parish Merrett
Int: Caldwell Laverde Bryan Redman
Sub: Waterman

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
If Reid has a cracking PS and plays well in the PS games than i can see him starting over Stewart. The wraps on him seem big and considering the games he played at VFL of the quality with having a very slow stagnated PS and early part of the year was impressive

Not much to lose if we just try and get 20 games into him instead of 10

Hes probably better than Stewart early 2023 anyway

BomberManU

All Australian
May 8, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Not much love for Francis - patience run out, or just better options now? Heppell to keep captaincy? Appears on the bench a fair bit, in the best 22's posted.

Not much love for Francis - patience run out, or just better options now? Heppell to keep captaincy? Appears on the bench a fair bit, in the best 22's posted.
He's like 3rd/4th best in every position he plays at the moment. He'll get consistent games due to others being injured but when you have Stewart, Laverde, Ridley, Heppell, even Reid getting games ahead as a KPD/intercept rebound and Wright, (Hooker), Jones, Stringer ahead as 190+ forwards, it becomes tricky to fit him in on paper.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
He's like 3rd/4th best in every position he plays at the moment. He'll get consistent games due to others being injured but when you have Stewart, Laverde, Ridley, Heppell, even Reid getting games ahead as a KPD/intercept rebound and Wright, (Hooker), Jones, Stringer ahead as 190+ forwards, it becomes tricky to fit him in on paper.
I think hes apart of our 3 tall forward line attack based on what Rutten has said.

Hes important in allowing Stringer to more and more stoppages

Id also like to see him the last forward in the chain ie Goal square full forward. What Stephenson, Degoey, C.Cameron ect have played.

Not many are going to move him when he plants hos feet and not many hos size have the 10m-20m acceleration and we know his hands are good.

I prefer him back still and i also dont necessarily think Reid, Laverde, Ridley, Heppell, Redman combination should stop him playing alongside them

Its becoming very Rance/Balta, Astbury, Grimes, Vlastuin, Broad about it. Versatile defenders

Last edited:
I think hes apart of our 3 tall forward line attack based on what Rutten has said.

Sounds reasonable, but it's difficult to record on paper with a traditional 22 set up with 18 on the field which would be why people are leaving him off...

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Sounds reasonable, but it's difficult to record on paper with a traditional 22 set up with 18 on the field which would be why people are leaving him off...

Yeh can understand people maybe being fearful of two tall or not enough forward pressure which we already lack.

I think enough of a rotation can occur between Draper, Wright, Stringer, HJ and Francis where one of these is likely on the bench most of the match

Id also like to see him the last forward in the chain ie Goal square full forward. What Stephenson, Degoey, C.Cameron ect have played.

Not many are going to move him when he plants hos feet and not many hos size have the 10m-20m acceleration and we know his hands are good.

I prefer him back still and i also dont necessarily think Reid, Laverde, Ridley, Heppell, Redman combination should stop him playing alongside them

Its becoming very Rance/Balta, Astbury, Grimes, Vlastuin, Broad about it. Versatile defenders

I am not sure Stringer can do any more work than he does. He is not an endurance athlete. His sweet spot is center bounces and playing the forward half.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I am not sure Stringer can do any more work than he does. He is not an endurance athlete. His sweet spot is center bounces and playing the forward half.
Yeh your probably right. The more he can do the better for us, we need to keep challenging him.

For example if last year he attended most stoppages inside the forward 50% of ground maybe we can ask for 60% or anything ti the back of the square

But agree his endurance will never be there, not even close to what Dusty has in his very professional tank now

Hopefully everyone get through pre season without any issues.
If so i would like this line up

B: Francis Laverde redman
HB: Ridley Reid Hind
C: Cox Caldwell McGrath
HF: Stringer Jones Langford
F: AMT Wright Perko
R: Draper Merrett Parish
I/C: Hepp, Sheil, Snell, Smith
Sub: Durham

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Hopefully everyone get through pre season without any issues.
If so i would like this line up

B: Francis Laverde redman
HB: Ridley Reid Hind
C: Cox Caldwell McGrath
HF: Stringer Jones Langford
F: AMT Wright Perko
R: Draper Merrett Parish
I/C: Hepp, Sheil, Snell, Smith
Sub: Durham
Hard to not see J.Kelly in our plans

Kelly instead of Dev Smith and thats my 23 players aswell

Hard to not see J.Kelly in our plans

Kelly instead of Dev Smith and thats my 23 players aswell
Oh bother...i knew there was someone i forgot....agreed with your suggestion smith for kelly.

Feb 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester City San Antonio Spurs
Give me this by round 10…

Heppell Laverde Ridley
Redman Reid Hind
Merrett Parish Cox
Stringer Jones Perkins
Snelling Baldwin Tippa
Draper Caldwell McGrath
Langford Kelly Shiel Wright
Durham

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Heppell should not be captain but, definitely in our best side.
No-one has mentioned De Goey, why not, worth the risk.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
No-one has mentioned De Goey, why not, worth the risk.
Heppell should be captain for 2022. Him playing and the side going well definitly seems to have a correlation in the last few years

Also think because of what the club put him through in some of his early years/peak period should see him definitely captain again

Obviousily it comes down to a vote from the players in my opinion but he shouldnt be told not to nominate

Depends on the price for Degoey, im not saying no at any cost

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
FB Heppell Laverde Ridley
HB Redman Stewart Hind
C Langford Parish Cox
R Draper Merrett Shiel
HF Snelling Jones Smith
FF Stringer Wright McDonald-Tipungwuti
I Kelly Perkins Caldwell McGrath
E Reid Francis Durham Baldwin Cutler Bryan Guelfi

Looking forward to seeing Reid, Baldwin and Bryan getting games.

Also, we have zero midfielders outside this 22. Literally not even an emergency. (I will concede Waterman if he can build his tank).
Of the 6 open list spots, 2 MUST be for midfielders.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

I reckon you've gone 12 months too early.

Heppell's value as captain extends well beyond what he does as a player playing a position. From what I can tell he is instrumental as a leader both on and off field. You don't mess with that at the stage of development/evolution the team is currently in.

On his ability to play a role, I agree Heppell's only just scraping into the 2022 best 22 if at all. Now that we have Kelly, whether he is best 22, in the sense we are discussing, will come down to whether Reid is ready.

I'd be disappointed if Heppell is playing best 22 footy in 2023. Between Stewart, Redman, Ridley, Laverde and Kelly you'd think we have someone who can marshal the defence. Redman seems the most likely to me. I'd also be hoping Reid has caved the door in, even if he's only playing as a half back/third tall initially (which is likely).

I think in the next 12 months it will become difficult, if not entirely impossible, to mount a sensible argument Heppell should have a spot in a best 22 which contains:

SD: Kelly (3TD)KPD: Stewart3TD: Reid (KD)
HB: HindKPD: Laverde (3TD)HB: Redman (SD)
7D: Ridley (i.e. Heppell's role)

Before that stage, you have to have made it clear that Heppell's no longer the captain because you don't want the captain's position in the side to be up for debate. It looks like there will be a natural progression to Merrett or McGrath in the next 12 months anyway.

Last edited:

IHurley

All Australian
Jan 12, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I reckon you've gone 12 months too early.

Heppell's value as captain extends well beyond what he does as a player playing a position. From what I can tell he is instrumental as a leader both on and off field. You don't mess with that at the stage of development/evolution the team is currently in.

On his ability to play a role, I agree Heppell's only just scraping into the 2022 best 22 if at all. Now that we have Kelly, whether he is best 22, in the sense we are discussing, will come down to whether Reid is ready.

I'd be disappointed if Heppell is playing best 22 footy in 2023. Between Stewart, Redman, Ridley, Laverde and Kelly you'd think we have someone who can marshal the defence. Redman seems the most likely to me. I'd also be hoping Reid has caved the door in, even if he's only playing as a half back/third tall initially (which is likely).

I think in the next 12 months it will become difficult, if not entirely impossible, to mount a sensible argument Heppell should have a sport in a best 22 which contains:

SD: Kelly (3TD)KPD: Stewart3TD: Reid (KD)
HB: HindKPD: Laverde (3TD)HB: Redman (SD)
7D: Ridley (i.e. Heppell's role)

Before that stage, you have to have made it clear that Heppell's no longer the captain because you don't want the captain's position in the side to be up for debate. It looks like there will be a natural progression to Merrett or McGrath in the next 12 months anyway.
Different positions I know but Heppell is twice the player Stewart is.

Heppell could also play wing ahead of the likes of Durham. At this point he would be better at it than Cox is. A gut runner whose an exceptional mark, crazy brave and reads the game as well as anyone will find a spot somewhere on any team.

Different positions I know but Heppell is twice the player Stewart is.

Heppell could also play wing ahead of the likes of Durham. At this point he would be better at it than Cox is. A gut runner whose an exceptional mark, crazy brave and reads the game as well as anyone will find a spot somewhere on any team.
He's no Kobe Mutch thats for sure.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Heppell covered more ground per game than any other player.

He also got his hands on the ball more than just 2 players.

Talk of his demise is premature.

Had some elite quarters and halves this year, he'll improve on that, I'm calling a top 3 B&F finish next season, missed so much footy before putting together a very nice season 21, he'll be better again next season.

Back