Left-Field here

B D.Heppell B.Zerk-Thatcher J.Laverde
HB J.Ridley Z.Reid M.Redman
C K.Langford A.McGrath Z.Merrett
HF J.Stringer H.Jones N.Cox
F A.Tipungwutti P.Wright D.Smith
FOLL: S.Draper J.Caldwell D.Parish
INTER: D.Shiel, N.Hind, W.Snelling, A.Perkins

Wright/Jones and Cox/Stringer as the third tall up forward. While Reid and Zerk take the key positions.

Predicted best 22 (what I expect round 1, not necessarily what I want)

Redman Stewart Hind
Heppell Laverde Ridley
McGrath Shiel Cox
Stringer Jones Walla
Snelling Wright Francis
S.Draper Merrett Parish
Smith Langford Kelly Caldwell
Sub: Cutler

I would rather Perkins and Hobbs play whole games as the first rotation in the midfield at VFL level then be a sub, and would hope they are pushing for round 1 anyway

Predicted best 22 (what I expect round 1, not necessarily what I want)

Redman Stewart Hind
Heppell Laverde Ridley
McGrath Shiel Cox
Stringer Jones Walla
Snelling Wright Francis
S.Draper Merrett Parish
Smith Langford Kelly Caldwell
Sub: Cutler

I would rather Perkins and Hobbs play whole games as the first rotation in the midfield at VFL level then be a sub, and would hope they are pushing for round 1 anyway

I agree this will most likely be the team ... Cox could easily be swapped for Perkins.

Ridley Stewart Redman
Heppell Laverde Hind
Merrett Langford Shiel
Perkins Jones Snelling
Stringer 2MP Tippa

Draper Parish McGrath

Bench: Smith Caldwell Kelly Waterman
SUB: Cutler

Dont think both Cox & Perkins will line up round 1, so I went for Perkins as he offers a little more up forward. Also went for Waterman instead of Francis - again because he's a little more proven up forward

The training reports I've seen don't have Walla anywhere near the best 22 at the moment, whereas Durham, Smith, Shiel and Perkins have been training strongly. Rutten also seemed intent on giving games to the newbies last year, so I can't see him leaving Hobbs out. We have been given a five year development window - I read that as Truck's window as well, so he's got time to get them up to the level.

AFL
Ridley Stewart Redman
Heppell Laverde Hind
Langford Shiel Cox
Perkins Jones Snelling
Stringer Wright Smith
Draper Parish Merrett

Caldwell, Hobbs, Kelly, McGrath

Stants has some decent talent with which to work, hopefully on the same page as Truck. I think we're combining with other sides again for scratchies due to depleted list sizes. I've included Baldwin ahead of McBride as he was forecast as a top 20 pick before his knees went full O'Meara. I hope that by 2023 Baldwin has pushed Wright out of the 1s. Could have started Voss forward but that would force Francis back, which isn't where he has been training. Voss on ball. Let's see how that goes. I've recruited both Fejo and Wanganeen. The talent is clear and available now. Not much will happen between now and the MSD, and we have our 5 year window.

Didn't realise our tall abundance.

VFL
Hird Zerk-Thatcher McDonagh
Cutler Reid Lord
Fejo Guelfi Durham
Francis Eyre Wanganeen
Waterman Baldwin Tipungwuti

Bryan Voss Ham

McBride, Brand, Phillips, ----

Edit: After talking up Durham's training efforts I promptly left him out of both sides. This makes Hobbs lucky but I think Truck might be keener to get games into our R1 draft pick than into Durham I think. Langford and Cox have the wings. The only other position I'd play him is half back. In the VFL I'd prefer him on a wing over Cutler but I'd rotate the two.

Last edited:
The training reports I've seen don't have Walla anywhere near the best 22 at the moment, whereas Durham, Smith, Shiel and Perkins have been training strongly. Rutten also seemed intent on giving games to the newbies last year, so I can't see him leaving Hobbs out. We have been given a five year development window - I read that as Truck's window as well, so he's got time to get them up to the level.

AFL
Ridley Stewart Redman
Heppell Laverde Hind
Langford Shiel Cox
Perkins Jones Snelling
Stringer Wright Smith
Draper Parish Merrett

Caldwell, Hobbs, Kelly, McGrath

Stants has some decent talent with which to work, hopefully on the same page as Truck. I think we're combining with other sides again for scratchies due to depleted list sizes. I've included Baldwin ahead of McBride as he was forecast as a top 20 pick before his knees went full O'Meara. I hope that by 2023 Baldwin has pushed Wright out of the 1s. Could have started Voss forward but that would force Francis back, which isn't where he has been training. Voss on ball. Let's see how that goes. I've recruited both Fejo and Wanganeen. The talent is clear and available now. Not much will happen between now and the MSD, and we have our 5 year window.

Didn't realise our tall abundance.

VFL
---- Zerk-Thatcher McDonagh
Hird Reid Lord
Fejo Guelfi Cutler
Francis Eyre Wanganeen
Waterman Baldwin Tipungwuti

Bryan Voss Ham

McBride, Brand, Phillips, ----
So I’m assuming you were going to name Durham best 22 based on your opening, but you forgot Durham.

Where does Hurley fit in?

I wouldn't be surprised if Baldwin came on quickly, assuming he remains healthy.
I love Hurls, but he's still recovering. Some have even speculated that he might retire if he's not ready for the start of the season, allowing us to sign Fejo and Wanganeen and still have a MSD pick. I'm happy to not have a MSD pick.

If you think of it like Snelling and Durham, I want another mid-year pick.
I'd be happy to draft for our needs now; we know we need outside run and we know we need a small forward. It just so happens we are able to take care of those needs with the SSP now.

It's looking like being another interrupted schedule in 2022 as well. We may not see a lot of football from the lower grades again.

The Herald Sun have named a best 23 for us today in their 2022 forecast for all the AFL teams;-

Kelly Laverde Redman
Heppell Ridley Hind
Cox Merrett McGrath
Snelling Jones Langford
Smith 2MP Stringer

Draper Parish Caldwell

Bench: Shiel, Tippa, Waterman, Stewart
SUB: Guelfi

Depth: Hobbs, McDonagh, Hurley, Durham, Francis, Ham, Phillips, Cutler

I think its pretty close to what we will see round one, with the exception of Perkins who they seem to have forgotten who I’d name in place of Tippa who looks no hope for round 1, and Stewart who was really good in 2021 surely starts - so either Redman or Kelly start on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Herald Sun have named a best 23 for us today in their 2022 forecast for all the AFL teams;-

Kelly Laverde Redman
Heppell Ridley Hind
Cox Merrett McGrath
Snelling Jones Langford
Smith 2MP Stringer

Draper Parish Caldwell

Bench: Shiel, Tippa, Waterman, Stewart
SUB: Guelfi

Depth: Hobbs, McDonagh, Hurley, Durham, Francis, Ham, Phillips, Cutler

I think its pretty close to what we will see round one, with the exception of Perkins who they seem to have forgotten who I’d name in place of Tippa who looks no hope for round 1, and Stewart who was really good in 2021 surely starts - so either Redman or Kelly start on the bench.
Unless Waterman has a huge pre-season, would have thought he was a fair way down the pecking order.
They seem to prefer 3 talls up front, not sure I would, but Francis is probably there.

Unless Waterman has a huge pre-season, would have thought he was a fair way down the pecking order.
They seem to prefer 3 talls up front, not sure I would, but Francis is probably there.

I think Waterman is in our best 23 - he kicked 17 goals last year from 14 games last year and we dont exactly have an abundance of guys on the list who can do that - especially with Tippa unlikely until mid season..Plus Waterman can play through the middle so I certainly wouldn't mind him off the bench or even as the SUB. He's probably competing with Francis for a spot, and whilst I know Francis spent time down back in 2021 he did play a few games forward & only kicked 2 goals....I know whose hands I'd rather have the ball in out of those 2 if they were shooting for goal and my life depended on it...!!

Durham and Perkins are the other obvious 2 players missing from the herald sun side - I think both will play round 1

I think Waterman is in our best 23 - he kicked 17 goals last year from 14 games last year and we dont exactly have an abundance of guys on the list who can do that - especially with Tippa unlikely until mid season..Plus Waterman can play through the middle so I certainly wouldn't mind him off the bench or even as the SUB. He's probably competing with Francis for a spot, and whilst I know Francis spent time down back in 2021 he did play a few games forward & only kicked 2 goals....I know whose hands I'd rather have the ball in out of those 2 if they were shooting for goal and my life depended on it...!!

Durham and Perkins are the other obvious 2 players missing from the herald sun side - I think both will play round 1
Based on last year, Waterman cannot play through the middle, and isn't mobile enough up forward.

But, that was the basis of my "unless he has a huge pre-season" comment. He should be able to get there.

Really excited to see Caldwell and Hobbs battle it out. Seems as though they are going for the same position, envision there would be some really competitive contests at training between the two.

Best 22

FB: Kelly - Stewart - Redman
HB: Hind - Laverde - Ridley
C: Cox - Parish - McGrath
R: Draper - Merrett - Shiel
HF: Snelling - Jones - Stringer
FF: Tippa - Wright - Francis
IC: Heppell - Perkins - Langford - Caldwell

with all these different best 22. It just shows we are in an exciting period at Essendon and the depth we have across the board is very exciting. Hopefully the natural improvement continues and we build to something special, cause I think we finally have the pieces to do so.

Only laking is probably another small forward. But this is an exciting time to be a Don.

FB: Kelly, Stewart, Hind
HB: Laverde, Ridley, Heppell
C: Durham, Shiel, Cox
HF: Langford, Jones, Stringer
FF: Snelling, Wright , Tippa
R: Draper, Parish, Merrett
Inter: Redman, Caldwell, McGrath, Perkins

Damn that's tough. Francis incredibly stiff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back