Prediction Best 22 for Round 1, 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Dep
Guys what do we think of SPS.
Wheres his best position?
list clogger or at best depth player.... SPS was just rated too highly by Carlton when drafted and has never come close to living up to the level that was expected of him.

Injuries are starting to build not looking good the the start of the year, Dom Sheed, Liam Duggan on light duties as Tom Barrass shakes off hand injury.​

Well R1 traditionally rewards a few draftees with a debut before reverting to older safer performing players over the next few weeks. And our best team to play (understanding 2023 will not be our year) will have a mix of developing players and experience.

The future in the AFL is to have less talls and more running power so we need quality over quantity. Our most finely balanced team has us:
Play 3 tall def, with Bazzo having greater upside than H.Edwards.
Play 2 tall fwds with B. Williams as a backup tall fwd & ruck
Play 1 Ruck in Naitanui (Jamieson if he's injured)

We have a million back flankers. We lack a bit of leg pace but have wonderful intercept & 1 on 1 capabilities.
Our weakness is medium and small forwards

FB: Hurn, Barrass, Bazzo
HB: Duggan,McGovern, Cole
C: Gaff, Sheed, Hunt
HF: Cripps, Allen, Kelly
FF: Ryan, Darling, Jones
R: Naitanui, Shuey, Culley
I: B. Williams, Yeo, Hough, Chesser, Ginbey

Tough to miss out:
The next in but are unlikely to be part of a flag team unless absolutely turning it on in 2023.
Clark
Petrevski-Seton
Waterman
Witherden
Petruccelle
H. Edwards

Id gift a handful of games if a position opened up and they are fit and firing.
For the draftees even a couple of games early is valuable experience. For others lets see what they have and if they need to be moved on at the end of the year.:
J. Williams
Barnett
Dewar
Baker
Long
Burgiel
Hewett
L. Edwards
Winder
Trew
Jamieson

Should not play unless dominating the WAFL out of nowhere:
Rotham
Foley
O'Neill
West

Well R1 traditionally rewards a few draftees with a debut before reverting to older safer performing players over the next few weeks. And our best team to play (understanding 2023 will not be our year) will have a mix of developing players and experience.

The future in the AFL is to have less talls and more running power so we need quality over quantity. Our most finely balanced team has us:

We have a million back flankers. We lack a bit of leg pace but have wonderful intercept & 1 on 1 capabilities.

Tough to miss out:
The next in but are unlikely to be part of a flag team unless absolutely turning it on in 2023.
Clark
Petrevski-Seton
Waterman
Witherden
Petruccelle
H. Edwards

For the draftees even a couple of games early is valuable experience. For others lets see what they have and if they need to be moved on at the end of the year.:
J. Williams
Barnett
Dewar
Baker
Long
Burgiel
Hewett
L. Edwards
Winder
Trew
Jamieson

Rotham
Foley
O'Neill
West
O’Neil had some great games last year.

Why does J Jones get an automatic start on here… and as a forward no less where he has done * all in all his years on lists, both ours and the cats’

Is Long a chance at a round 1 debut? Who’s his sponsor? Get behind this!!

I'm guessing both Chesser and Hewett play round 1.

Ginbey still needs to play WAFL level as a midfielder against men. For that matter so does Chesser.

In fact, Chesser still needs to show he can actually play football in general.
I’d be staggered if Chesser plays round 1

He’s still not in full training as the club wants to ease him into full training loads and they’re especially cautious on exposing him to the rigors of full contact too soon

He’s rightly being eased in and common sense would be for him to play WAFL initially

If there’s a round 1 debut my money is on Hewett

He’s still not in full training as the club wants to ease him into full training loads and they’re especially cautious on exposing him to the rigors of full contact too soon

He’s rightly being eased in and common sense would be for him to play WAFL initially

Agree. Think Hewett will spend some time as a half forward bench rotation

And link to the Oscar Allen press conference

Hewett a better chance for R1 than Ginbey surely.

Probably more likely than Chesser also.
I believe Chesser is still underdone and should get a good run in the WAFL before being considered for AFL.
Hewett is in the same boat.

Ginbey is the most AFL ready physically so I can see him playing early albeit he's the one whose style of play is less likely to be effective in year 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does J Jones get an automatic start on here… and as a forward no less where he has done * all in all his years on lists, both ours and the cats’

Is Long a chance at a round 1 debut? Who’s his sponsor? Get behind this!!
Jones was handy off a half back last year & deserves some kudos.
The problem is others are better options there and we have 0 small forwad depth.
Petrucelle is the other option and was lacklustre so I went with the incumbent

Agree. Think Hewett will spend some time as a half forward bench rotation
I've been thinking the same thing. I expect us to be ultra cautious with Chesser, Ginbey is in a queue and Hewett has the best path to an AFL debut, if fit.

Tough to miss out:
Clark
Petrevski-Seton
Waterman
Witherden
Petruccelle
H. Edwards

J. Williams
Barnett
Dewar
Baker
Long
Burgiel
Hewett
L. Edwards
Winder
Trew
Jamieson

Rotham
Foley
O'Neill
West
Cully is ineligible to play round one.

Also love his aggression and feel like it's very needed. No silly ones (and the elbow was dumb), but i'd prefer he cops the odd suspension rather than him reigning it in too much...

B Yeo Barrass Bazzo
HB Duggan McGovern Hunt
C Gaff Sheed Hough
HF Ryan Allen Petrucclle
F Cripps Darling Waterman
FOLL Naitanui Culley Kelly
I/C- Shuey, Hewett, B.Williams, Ginbey
Sub- O’Neil
Emerg- L.Edwards, H.Edwards, J.Jones

B Yeo Barrass Bazzo
HB Duggan McGovern Hunt
C Gaff Sheed Hough
HF Ryan Allen Petrucclle
Sub- O’Neil
Waterman unlikely for round 1. Cole the only bloke in our team that can lock down on smalls. Has to be in the side

Outside of that it’s damn close

Would rather see J. Jones in the forward line than Petruccelle whom I think needs to demonstrate he deserves a spot through WAFL form.

B Yeo Barrass Bazzo
HB Duggan McGovern Hunt
C Gaff Sheed Hough
HF Ryan Allen Petrucclle
Sub- O’Neil

Remove this Banner Ad

Back