HB: Duggan - McGovern - Hunt
C: Gaff - Kelly - Sheed
HF: Waterman - Darling - Cripps
FF: Ryan - Allen - Petruccelle
R: Naitanui - Yeo - Shuey

INT: Culley - O’Neill - B. Williams - H. Edwards
SUB: Jones

EMG: Hough - Bazzo - Long - Hewett

• Pretty happy with this side. There were only a couple of 50/50 calls for me - H. Edwards v Bazzo for the third tall defender spot, and Jones v Petch as the final small forward. Obviously I have to go with my boy Harry for the first battle, gives us more of a lockdown option and allows Barrass and Gov to be more attacking/intercepting in their defence (though some weeks we may need Bazzo's looser style of play more).
  • I feel bad leaving Jones out of the side after finishing top 10 in the JW Medal last year, but seeing as he's been training with the forwards this preseason I figured he may need time to adjust to that role. Also think he offers good versatility as sub, while Petch is more of a pure small forward. Despite his injury concerns I still rate him highly, so if he's fit he's in for mine.
  • Culley gets a round 1 opportunity with a standout preseason so far, while O'Neill I'd expect to continue the upwards (albeit a little slow) trajectory he's shown thus far in his career. This is the year for him to lock in a best 23 spot.
  • Like we do with most recruits, Hunt gets an early opportunity to show what he's got
  • B. Williams as the second ruck behind Nic Nat who will no doubt require backup this season.
  • Waterman is in as the third tall forward, needs to take this opportunity and make the most of it. Crucial year coming up for him.
  • Midfield might look a little uninspiring for a rebuilding side, but this is what I see as our full-strength side. There's no way everyone will be fully fit for round 1, so in reality youth should still get early opportunities. We can also experiment with positional changes for our senior mids - Shuey and Sheed spending stints at HF, Yeo rotating through HB, etc - which would give our younger mids good exposure.
  • Long named as an emergency as forward backup. Hearing good things about him so far and given our small forward stocks are a little thin, I reckon he'll be reasonably close to a debut. Same with Hewett.

WAFL
FB: Witherden - Bazzo - Foley
HB: Burgiel - Rotham - Hough
C: Hewett - Ginbey - Chesser
HF: Petrevski-Seton - Barnett - Winder
FF: Long - J. Williams - Jones
R: Jamieson - Clark - West

INT: L. Edwards - Trew - Dewar - Baker

• While they're not in this side, in reality Alec Waterman and Nelson would be in there with the AFL sub and probably one emergency held over. And obviously we're never going to have a fully healthy list. Would be a nice problem to have though...
  • Chesser starts in the WAFL given his severe lack of football over the last three years through injury and Covid. I think he'll be eased into this season.
  • Hopefully this year we can field 10-15+ AFL-listed guys in the WAFL each week who can put consistent pressure on the guys in the seniors and encourage them to perform. A number of guys in the AFL side are skating on thin ice somewhat, so hopefully this year we have healthy backup to replace them if they're underperforming.

AFL
FB: Hurn - Barrass - Cole

• Pretty happy with this side. There were only a couple of 50/50 calls for me - H. Edwards v Bazzo for the third tall defender spot, and Jones v Petch as the final small forward. Obviously I have to go with my boy Harry for the first battle, gives us more of a lockdown option and allows Barrass and Gov to be more attacking/intercepting in their defence (though some weeks we may need Bazzo's looser style of play more).
  • I feel bad leaving Jones out of the side after finishing top 10 in the JW Medal last year, but seeing as he's been training with the forwards this preseason I figured he may need time to adjust to that role. Also think he offers good versatility as sub, while Petch is more of a pure small forward. Despite his injury concerns I still rate him highly, so if he's fit he's in for mine.
  • Culley gets a round 1 opportunity with a standout preseason so far, while O'Neill I'd expect to continue the upwards (albeit a little slow) trajectory he's shown thus far in his career. This is the year for him to lock in a best 23 spot.
  • Like we do with most recruits, Hunt gets an early opportunity to show what he's got
  • B. Williams as the second ruck behind Nic Nat who will no doubt require backup this season.
  • Waterman is in as the third tall forward, needs to take this opportunity and make the most of it. Crucial year coming up for him.
  • Midfield might look a little uninspiring for a rebuilding side, but this is what I see as our full-strength side. There's no way everyone will be fully fit for round 1, so in reality youth should still get early opportunities. We can also experiment with positional changes for our senior mids - Shuey and Sheed spending stints at HF, Yeo rotating through HB, etc - which would give our younger mids good exposure.
  • Long named as an emergency as forward backup. Hearing good things about him so far and given our small forward stocks are a little thin, I reckon he'll be reasonably close to a debut. Same with Hewett.

WAFL

• While they're not in this side, in reality Alec Waterman and Nelson would be in there with the AFL sub and probably one emergency held over. And obviously we're never going to have a fully healthy list. Would be a nice problem to have though...
  • Chesser starts in the WAFL given his severe lack of football over the last three years through injury and Covid. I think he'll be eased into this season.
  • Hopefully this year we can field 10-15+ AFL-listed guys in the WAFL each week who can put consistent pressure on the guys in the seniors and encourage them to perform. A number of guys in the AFL side are skating on thin ice somewhat, so hopefully this year we have healthy backup to replace them if they're underperforming.
Whilst I think you're pretty much on the money with that side, I'd be disappointed with the lack of young guys fronting up. I think someone like Hough should be a shoe in with where our team is at these days. Here's hoping there's a greater push toward youth

So Simmo reckons ‘13-14’ changes from Round 23 2022. Ooft.

My guess would be….

Out:
Bazzo
Clark
Culley
Dixon
Edwards
Foley
Langdon
Nelson
O’Neill
Petrevski-Seton
Redden
Rioli
Rotham

That’s 13.

Maybe Jones? - would be harsh…

So in comes (locks if fit I think)

Naitanui
Cole
Sheed
Allen
Gaff
Yeo
Hough
Hunt
McGovern

aaand?….

West?
Witherden?
Waterman? (Unlikely it seems)
Petrucelle?

Or…

Hewitt?
Ginbey?
Chesser?

Wonder what our biggest amount of changes ever between the last game of a season and Round 1 is?..

Someone work that out for me? :cool:

Whilst I think you're pretty much on the money with that side, I'd be disappointed with the lack of young guys fronting up. I think someone like Hough should be a shoe in with where our team is at these days. Here's hoping there's a greater push toward youth
Fair comment and I tend to agree. Hoping that a healthy and competitive WAFL side lets our young players thrive and put pressure on the senior guys playing AFL. Still don't think we should be gifting the youth games, but we absolutely should reward strong WAFL form. If it's a toss up between an older player and a younger guy for one spot in the team, we should be leaning towards youth.

There will also no doubt be injuries prior to round 1 which will prevent guys in our best side from playing, and that should give the youth more early opportunities.

AFL
FB: Hurn - Barrass - Cole

WAFL

I dont mind this but Hough must be in that team and Bazzo definitely the better 3rd defender. I see Harry as key defender only but realise you have sponsorship duties to fulfil.

Who goes out for Hough? Waterman IMO. I quite like Waterman but feel that forward line is too slow and top heavy with him in there when we also have a second ruck spending a decent chunk of time up forward. Shuey and Sheed can split some time on HFF and Hough can job share a wing/HBF with Hunt.

Petro probably luck to be named in front of Jones too but Jones' versatility makes him a good sub option.

So Simmo reckons ‘13-14’ changes from Round 23 2022. Ooft.

My guess would be….

Out:
Bazzo
Clark
Culley
Bazzo and Culley missing Round One would just about do me for Simpson's reign. They have to be locks.

Bazzo and Culley missing Round One would just about do me for Simpson's reign. They have to be locks.

Culley is a lock.

Bazzo I think may drift in and out of the side this year - unless his form forces his selection. We have a lot of talent coming-in or coming-back through our backline - so spots will be at a premium. But there will be injuries or unavailability at stages and Bazzo will get his chance.

Culley is a lock.

Bazzo I think may drift in and out of the side this year - unless his form forces his selection. We have a lot of talent coming-in or coming-back through our backline - so spots will be at a premium. But there will be injuries or unavailability at stages and Bazzo will get his chance.
Assuming we play Bazzo as third tall, do we?

I can only see Edwards and Rotham competing for that spot, and I'd prefer Bazzo to both.

Culley is a lock.

Bazzo is a match up selection when we need 3 talls down there. I don't think he is an automatic selection at this stage.

He is perfectly fine to ply his craft in the WAFL as TB did.

Assuming we play Bazzo as third tall, do we?

I can only see Edwards and Rotham competing for that spot, and I'd prefer Bazzo to both.

I'm assuming we are much more likely to play 2 genuine talls, and then have Hurn/Duggan/Yeo/Hunt play a little undersized if we need a 3rd tall.

Edwards in for match-ups or if one of the 2 KPD's are out. Rotham, post-football-planning I would have thought. He has all of the assets, but there doesn't seem to be a role for him and draftees continue to go past him in the pecking order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are the 2 that stand out but keep in mind I was trying to get it up to 13-14 as Simpson stated and they seemed likely to be included in that list - the others who played that game were:

Barrass
Cripps
Darling
Duggan
Hurn
Jones
Kelly
Ryan
Shuey
Williams

Jones and Williams are would be the only others potentially out you would think, barring injury (I’m sure there will be some).

Real talk though - with a full quota of mids to pick from, there may not be room right away for all of Culley, Ginbey, Chesser and Hewitt from the get go - it will likely be a matter of pre-season form, team balance and fitness. We are talking Round 1 here - not where the team is at in around 15.

I'm assuming we are much more likely to play 2 genuine talls, and then have Hurn/Duggan/Yeo/Hunt play a little undersized if we need a 3rd tall.

Edwards in for match-ups or if one of the 2 KPD's are out. Rotham, post-football-planning I would have thought. He has all of the assets, but there doesn't seem to be a role for him and draftees continue to go past him in the pecking order.

I have Bazzo playing 3rd tall or more of a lock down replacement, with Edwards more of an intercepting replacement. I know we've tried to get Edwards built up as a lock down defender but it's not really going well

It will be interesting to see how many teams we would select a genuine 3rd tall back for given that Yeo may be playing across HBF this year. Very strong overhead and could take the 3rd tall position.
Bazzo first in line for a stand alone 3rd tall IMO but if our new game plan relies on speed and mobility we may opt for just the 2x tall backs and Yeo as the hybrid most of the time. I'd be inclined to try and use Bazzo to engage with their CHF and allow Gov to do his intercept thing if we go the 3 talls down back option.

It will be interesting to see how many teams we would select a genuine 3rd tall back for given that Yeo may be playing across HBF this year. Very strong overhead and could take the 3rd tall position.
Bazzo first in line for a stand alone 3rd tall IMO but if our new game plan relies on speed and mobility we may opt for just the 2x tall backs and Yeo as the hybrid most of the time. I'd be inclined to try and use Bazzo to engage with their CHF and allow Gov to do his intercept thing if we go the 3 talls down back option.
I can't see us going with all of Gov, Barrass and Hedwards like some have suggested.

As the season progresses I’ll be interested in where Hurn fits in

I can see a slimmed down Gov becoming less of a KPD and taking on more of the role Hurn plays especially if Edwards comes on and Barrass maintains the form he showed post bye in 2022

All of Gov, TB, Hurn and Edwards makes us awfully slow down back

As the season progresses I’ll be interested in where Hurn fits in

I can see a slimmed down Gov becoming less of a KPD and taking on more of the role Hurn plays especially if Edwards comes on and Barrass maintains the form he showed post bye in 2022

All of Gov, TB, Hurn and Edwards makes us awfully slow down back

Wonder if we try to revisit TB to the forward line

I would agree with you except Bazzo has been injured and so would rather he come through the WAFL if underdone.

I would however say the same for Culley but also for Hough, who has shown PLENTY in a down season.
Personally I don't see how Hough is not already best 22.

My take on round 1 best 22 (assuming I am up to date on who is injured/underdone etc)
I've avoided doing this because I've been waiting to see if anyone shares my view on Rotham but noone has but bugger it I will share it.

ROTHAM
I am bullish on Rotham as the potential 3rd mobile, semi-tall forward. I don't think this is fan-fiction either - Simmo trialled this last year.
He is fast and skilled and can take a leap and will run down the wings to lend support and be a part of bringing the ball back up to the forward line when required in a way that Waterman wouldn't be able to even though Waterman may be the more accurate goalkicker.

Another big reason, which again we saw trialled last season, is that Rotham can assist the ruck duties which means we don't need a 2nd ruck to accompany a final season (or 2nd last season) NicNat. We retain another player on field (and in the 22) who is able to apply speed and pressure.

His problems in the back line seemed to be more around errors than about effort - and in the backline the stakes are higher and the errors heavier whereas the forward line encourages a player to just 'go for it's rather than be tentative. The forward line could do wonders to a player that is obviously a very skillful player who is just yet to hit his strides. If it doesn't work out then now we know but don't be surprised to see it trialled.

TREW/XON
My surprise inclusion is Trew and I'm basing that solely on the reports I'm reading on here regarding his pre-season.
If he puts himself in the frame, and with Simmo perhaps wanting to extend the shelf-life of Shuey and Yeo he may decide to use a rabid, 3rd season, playing-for-my-career Trew if he continues to show signs of warranting it in the lead up to the season.
If he fails to impress pre-season then someone else is in, same goes with XoN - it's up to him this pre-season to show he should be in the guts ahead of Clarke or West.

SHEED / GAFF
I didnt include both Sheed and Gaff in the round 1 side BUT I do think that is what Simmo will do.
But hey, if they both are in the Squad then I hope they both turn back the clock and step their tackling game up.

I would love to see a space made for both Ginbey and Hewett but I dont see that happening unless the room is made for Hewett in the forward line.

B: Hurn - Barrass - Duggan
HB: Yeo - McGovern - Hunt

C: Sheed - Kelly - Hough
R: NicNat - Culley - XoN

HF: Shuey - Darling - Jones
F: Ryan - Allen - Cripps

bench: Cole, Trew, Rotham & one of Ginbey or Hewett
sub: Petch/SPS

Last edited:
My take on round 1 best 22 (assuming I am up to date on who is injured/underdone etc)
I've avoided doing this because I've been waiting to see if anyone shares my view on Rotham but noone has but bugger it I will share it.

ROTHAM
I am bullish on Rotham as the potential 3rd mobile, semi-tall forward. I don't think this is fan-fiction either - Simmo trialled this last year.
He is fast and skilled and can take a leap and will run down the wings to lend support and be a part of bringing the ball back up to the forward line when required in a way that Waterman wouldn't be able to even though Waterman may be the more accurate goalkicker.

Another big reason, which again we saw trialled last season, is that Rotham can assist the ruck duties which means we don't need a 2nd ruck to accompany a final season (or 2nd last season) NicNat. We retain another player on field (and in the 22) who is able to apply speed and pressure.

His problems in the back line seemed to be more around errors than about effort - and in the backline the stakes are higher and the errors heavier whereas the forward line encourages a player to just 'go for it's rather than be tentative. The forward line could do wonders to a player that is obviously a very skillful player who is just yet to hit his strides. If it doesn't work out then now we know but don't be surprised to see it trialled.

TREW/XON
My surprise inclusion is Trew and I'm basing that solely on the reports I'm reading on here regarding his pre-season.
If he puts himself in the frame, and with Simmo perhaps wanting to extend the shelf-life of Shuey and Yeo he may decide to use a rabid, 3rd season, playing-for-my-career Trew if he continues to show signs of warranting it in the lead up to the season.
If he fails to impress pre-season then someone else is in, same goes with XoN - it's up to him this pre-season to show he should be in the guts ahead of Clarke or West.

SHEED / GAFF
I didnt include both Sheed and Gaff in the round 1 side BUT I do think that is what Simmo will do.
But hey, if they both are in the Squad then I hope they both turn back the clock and step their tackling game up.

I would love to see a space made for both Ginbey and Hewett but I dont see that happening unless the room is made for Hewett in the forward line.

B: Hurn - Barrass - Duggan
HB: Yeo - McGovern - Hunt

C: Sheed - Kelly - Hough
R: NicNat - Culley - XoN

HF: Shuey - Darling - Jones
F: Ryan - Allen - Cripps

bench: Cole, Trew, Rotham & one of Ginbey or Hewett
sub: Petch/SPS
I don't mind that Rotham suggestion. Not something I've thought about before but I think he would give Waterman a run for his money.

We dont have anything like a settled best 22. More like half a best 22 and the rest of the squads thereabouts. This year is about rotating through the backend of the list, exploring their potential and working towards a more settled lineup later in the year. Hopefully another big list turnover and a swathe of early draft picks at season end.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back