Prediction Best 22 for Round 1, 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind that Rotham suggestion. Not something I've thought about before but I think he would give Waterman a run for his money.

Well it's no so much a suggestion - you may have forgotten because it was a sh**storm of a season but Simmo actually trialled it towards the end of the season (I cant remember if he trialled it for more than 1 game) and from memory he had Rotham as mobile 3rd forward but also chopping out in the ruck (you'd be surprised how much air Rotham could get with his ruckwork) - I think it worked well considering how much of a mess our team was.

I do like Waterman, I really do. But I think Rotham offered more and he just plainly has more speed, which we really need.

EDIT:
I just looked it up. He actually scored 2 goals while being in that position, same amount as JK and JD (which is a good effort when your team is down).
And the reason he was used as back up ruck is he because he was being trialled in that position in the WAFL and it had shown fruit.

The season review said this about it:

Standout performance: Pitching in as a pinch-hitter
Atter some encouraging performances in the WAFL playing in the ruck, Rotham was called up in round 19 to partner Bailey Williams against St Kilda and produced his best game for the season.

Match committee were keen to experiment on the run home and Rotham was a key beneficiary, making the most of more opportunity around the ball and getting dangerous in attack.

Normally a defender, Rotham hadn’t kicked a goal in his previous 43 games but slotted two majors – including a 45m set shot – and gathered 14 disposals with seven marks as a mobile back-up ruck.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how many teams we would select a genuine 3rd tall back for given that Yeo may be playing across HBF this year. Very strong overhead and could take the 3rd tall position.
Bazzo first in line for a stand alone 3rd tall IMO but if our new game plan relies on speed and mobility we may opt for just the 2x tall backs and Yeo as the hybrid most of the time. I'd be inclined to try and use Bazzo to engage with their CHF and allow Gov to do his intercept thing if we go the 3 talls down back option.
I would prefer to use yeo against medium forwards he has an advantage over or break even against in height and athleticism ( T greene , membry , fritsch ) or against resting mids ( Martin , danger , petracca , fyfe )

Rather use bazzo against genuine tall forwards as the third tall .

Harry Edwards replaces Gov or barrass .

Having GOV , barrass and Edwards in the team all together makes us very slow .

Bazzo reminds me of will Schofield early in his career before he bulked up and played lock down .

I would prefer to use yeo against medium forwards he has an advantage over or break even against in height and athleticism ( T greene , membry , fritsch ) or against resting mids ( Martin , danger , petracca , fyfe )

Rather use bazzo against genuine tall forwards as the third tall .

Harry Edwards replaces Gov or barrass .

Having GOV , barrass and Edwards in the team all together makes us very slow .

Bazzo reminds me of will Schofield early in his career before he bulked up and played lock down .
Every team plays 3x KPD. It is on the flankers and midfielders to provide the numbers at ground level once the ball has been neutralised.
Our problem is we have no true pacy rebounding defenders and our midfield gets destroyed once the ball hits the deck.

Wonder if default for the season will be using the sub for blooding some young kids. Could see something like Ginbey and Hewett getting half games each if everything goes to plan. Doesn't plan for injury/strategy but rather getting game time into more kids without overdoing them too early. Otherwise, someone like a rotham would give the most flexibility in case of injury.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wonder if default for the season will be using the sub for blooding some young kids. Could see something like Ginbey and Hewett getting half games each if everything goes to plan. Doesn't plan for injury/strategy but rather getting game time into more kids without overdoing them too early. Otherwise, someone like a rotham would give the most flexibility in case of injury.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think Petrucelle/Jones subbing for Hurn/Shuey/injured player is more likely. Hopefully the interchangeability of players will allow us to "rest" players in less intensive positions rather than relying on the sub.

Cole Barrass Duggan
Yeo McGovern Hunt
Gaff Sheed Ginbey
Cripps Allen Jones
Ryan Darling Williams

Ruck: Natanui Kelly Shuey

Int: Petrucelle (FWD)
Culley (MID)
O’Neil (MID)
Hurn (BAC)

Sub: Hough

Emg: Waterman (FWD)
Hewett (MID)
L Edwards (MID)
Bazzo (BAC)

Cole Barrass Duggan
Yeo McGovern Hunt
Gaff Sheed Ginbey
Cripps Allen Jones
Ryan Darling Williams

Ruck: Natanui Kelly Shuey

Int: Petrucelle (FWD)
Culley (MID)
O’Neil (MID)
Hurn (BAC)

Sub: Hough

Emg: Waterman (FWD)
Hewett (MID)
L Edwards (MID)
Bazzo (BAC)
1 tall short?

Given there's been nothing about Hewett in any of the Match Sim puff pieces so far (which probably means he hasn't impacted them a great deal) i'm starting to cool on him playing round 1 unless he shows a bit in the Wizard Cup.

Ginbey on the other hand is firming. I also think Long might come out of nowhere, he's impressed so far and Petrucelle will inevitably get hurt at some point.

Given there's been nothing about Hewett in any of the Match Sim puff pieces so far (which probably means he hasn't impacted them a great deal) i'm starting to cool on him playing round 1 unless he shows a bit in the Wizard Cup.

Ginbey on the other hand is firming. I also think Long might come out of nowhere, he's impressed so far and Petrucelle will inevitably get hurt at some point.
Yeah I thinking the same re Long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we drafted Gaff and Darling they both played Rd 1 the following year and never looked back, I’d love to see round 1 debuts for quality youngsters if they’ve shown enough on the track, not a big fan of playing the senior players until they’re completely cooked and neglecting the youngsters.
Been absolute guns since day one. However that's very very rare to be plug and play from day one. The biggest issue is a game ready body, namely endurance while putting on a few kgs.

Ginbey looks ready to play, at least out of a back pocket but I reckon just chuck him in the middle and see what happens.
Hewett seems a fair way off. Is still building fitness after issues in 2022. Get some continuity first in the WAFL.
Barnett is a long way off and just did himself an injury. Unlikely wee see much until 2025.
Burgiel as far as I can tell has done everything right this pre-season. Won't be enough just yet to demand a best 22 spot though may crack a few games.
Long similar to Burgiel where he needs to force his way into the team, but given the dearth of small forwards we have may be able to hold a spot as a role player.

Round 1

Not quite ready yet fitness wise Cole, Chesser, Duggan, Basso, Ginbey, Hewett, Long and Waterman.

Hurn Barrass Hough
Shuey McGovrrn Hunt
Gaff Yeo West
Cripps Darling Sheed
Jones Allen Ryan

Foll: Naitanui, Kelly, Culley

Bench: Rotham, B Williams, Clark, O'Neil

Emg: Jamison, Foley, SPS, Petrucelle

Cole Barrass Hough
Shuey McGovern Yeo
Hunt Gibney west
Cripps Darling Hewett
Long Allen Ryan

Foll: Naitanui, Kelly, Culley

Not sure about the bench have to be a ruckman as Nat will need resting

Hurn Barrass Cole
Yeo McGovern Hunt/Jones
Hough Kelly Clark
Cripps Allen Shuey
Ryan Darling B Williams
Naitanui Culley Sheed

Duggan, O'Neill, H. Edwards, Hunt/Jones

Bold are players I think should be locked into those positions.

Hunt/Jones are both attacking HBFers so give the role to whoever can best balance the defensive with the offensive run. Other goes on the bench.

Full respect to the player Gaff has been in his career, but he was forward ball movement kryptonite last year, prove you can move the ball forward in the WAFL before coming back to show that endeavour instead of stopping and holding for 2 minutes or dink kicking over your shoulder.

O'Neill's versatility gets him game time initially with Hedwards offering key position protection. Rookies to prove themselves in the WAFL first before getting games.

Last edited:
Every team plays 3x KPD. It is on the flankers and midfielders to provide the numbers at ground level once the ball has been neutralised.
Our problem is we have no true pacy rebounding defenders and our midfield gets destroyed once the ball hits the deck.
If Yeo is playing in defence, he has shown the ability to play the 3rd tall. And he has pace!!!

If Yeo is playing in defence, he has shown the ability to play the 3rd tall. And he has pace!!!
Just cos he can, doesnt mean it's his best use. Ideally the back structure should remain all game. A lockdown FB, 2x interceptors BP & CHB and if lucky a ruck pushing back. Then at ground level it should be flooded with smaller midfielder types to block it up and rebound where possible.
In the 3rd tall slot we should gain a matchup advantage in the air in our D50 and perhaps lose out with a few marks further up on the wing which is much less damaging. (I'd wager Barrass/McGovern are better than any 3rd talls in the AFL at the moment anyway)

Id keep Yeo as a utilit but mostly midfield. Can be injury cover or a back rotation some games which allows us to carry the extra mid on the bench.

Darling out of the 1st game maybe kennedy will come out of retirement. Opportunity to inject some youth

Based on the “best” side today, minus Darling.

B: Hurn, Barrass, Cole
HB: Duggan, McGovern, Shuey
C: Gaff, Kelly, Hunt
HF: Cripps, Waterman, Jones
F: Ryan, Allen, Williams
R: Naitanui, Yeo, Sheed
I: Witherden, Culley, Ginbey, Hewett
S: Petrevski-Seton
E: Edwards, Long, O’Neill

Scary thought that waterman is our centre half forward looking more likely north beat us in 1st round.

Waterman will be fine as a roaming CHF. Or as a 3rd tall with Ryan moving into the role and pushing up the ground more. We just need the backup ruck to be crashing packs and getting it to ground to help Allen out.

Allen CHF

Waterman & Ryan double prong deep fwd combo.

Waterman this is your make or break year.
If you do not kick 50 goals this season playing the role you are designed for we will bring in Georgiades to team up with Allen & Darling in 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back