Prediction Best 22 for Round 1, 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Waterman will be fine as a roaming CHF. Or as a 3rd tall with Ryan moving into the role and pushing up the ground more. We just need the backup ruck to be crashing packs and getting it to ground to help Allen out.
Waterman is not a CHF.

He is a Full Fwd. Full Stop. Give him the Goal Square. Oscar is the CHF.

I'm nervous with Hough being in the 'rest' side.

He should be in the 22 this year because a) he looked good last year and b) I fear for anyone's development in the Beagles. I understand that b) should be better this year with fewer injuries, but the wounds remain haha.

tldr - Hough for R1.

Last edited:

He should be in the 22 this year because a) he looked good this year and b) I fear for anyone's development in the Beagles. I understand that b) should be better this year with fewer injuries, but the wounds remain haha.

tldr - Hough for R1.
Yeah I’d be very disappointed to see him miss out. Showed an elite amount of promise last year

He should be in the 22 this year because a) he looked good last year and b) I fear for anyone's development in the Beagles. I understand that b) should be better this year with fewer injuries, but the wounds remain haha.

tldr - Hough for R1.

On the plus side, you'd think he should be able to run amok for the Beagles and be one of their better players.

For me the alignment works the absolute worst for our forwards. Anyone who has to be provide a forward target for a team that gets pumped by 10 goals and can't move the ball properly is getting totally shafted.

On the plus side, you'd think he should be able to run amok for the Beagles and be one of their better players.

For me the alignment works the absolute worst for our forwards. Anyone who has to be provide a forward target for a team that gets pumped by 10 goals and can't move the ball properly is getting totally shafted.
Good experience for when they get elevated to the seniors then yeah

Amidoingitrite

With JD ‘dodging the bullet’, this is still an enjoyable exercise (ya know, until the next major injury).

Hurn Barrass Cole
Duggan McGovern Hunt
Gaff Kelly Culley
Cripps Darling Petrevski-Seton
Ryan Allan Waterman

Naitanui Yeo Sheed

Shuey Ginbey Hough Williams

I’ve gone SPS over Jones - reckon he’ll get a go early.

The rest is starting to take shape across the board I think.

Yeah I thinking the same re Long.
330447842_903327204148242_2888660747218741463_n.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now we are through the match sim/intra club games and less than 4 weeks out, I thought I would have another crack at picking the 22 + 4 emergencies for North game Round 1.

Obviously a lot to still play out, but we are getting more of an idea of who is going to be favoured.

This is what I think will happen and not necessarily what should. Either way, we should have a decent side on the park and be going in very confident.

FB Cole Barrass Hurn
CHB Shuey McGovern Duggan
W Gaff Yeo Hunt
CHF Cripps Allen SPS
FF BWilliams Darling* Ryan
R Natanui Kelly Sheed
Int Witherden Ginbey Chesser Culley
Sub JJones
EMG Hough Long Waterman

Waterman to come into the selected side if Darling doesn't get up.

It was a raffle as to who got that last forward spot out of SPS, JJones and Long, however I think they will back SPS in after a good pre-season and JJones provides more flexibility as the sub. Long unlucky at this stage, but could find his way in the team with a good outing or two in the preseason.

I would love to see Hough in the side, and hopefully comes in if Chesser is underdone still.

However if Chesser is good to go, its hard to see who hough replaces in the small back/wing spots that he is going for. Witherden maybe?

Thoughts

Allen CHF

Waterman & Ryan double prong deep fwd combo.

Waterman this is your make or break year.
If you do not kick 50 goals this season playing the role you are designed for we will bring in Georgiades to team up with Allen & Darling in 2024.

50 goals for Waterman is asking a bit.

If he stays fit, and if plays 23 games he may get close averaging 2 goals a game playing g 100% forward.

50 goals for Waterman is asking a bit.

If he stays fit, and if plays 23 games he may get close averaging 2 goals a game playing g 100% forward.

Agree - but would go further and say 50 goals would be a huge result. Darling, assuming he is fit for round 1 and plays the whole season, will struggle to hit 50 goals if our supply issues from the past few seasons continue. And Allen will be there as well (unlikely to get 50 goals also).

I'd love to know the stats on a player in a bottom 8-10 team getting 50 goals. There would be a max of 3-4 a year I'd guess (excluding the shortened seasons) - we don't rate it that highly as the stars regularly kick 70-100 goals (100 much less regularly nowadays) to win the coleman - but 50 goals is a very significant return for a player in the days where 2+ goals per game average is elite.

Allen CHF

Waterman & Ryan double prong deep fwd combo.

Waterman this is your make or break year.
If you do not kick 50 goals this season playing the role you are designed for we will bring in Georgiades to team up with Allen & Darling in 2024.

I went back as far as 2000 and in that time we’ve never had two players kick 50 goals in the same season.

So you’re either asking him to lead our goal scoring (seems unlikely considering Allen, Darling and even Ryan will all be competing targets) or be the best second-banana we’ve seen this century. And given we’ve had Kennedy/Darling/LeCras all operating together for large chunks of this century, that’s a big ask.

Bit rough yes, 50 goals or replaced by a player that hasn't kicked 50 yet himself, 32 from 21 games in 2021 and 23 from 19 in 2022.
Jake himself played 20 games last year for 18 goals so will definitely need to improve. Would be behind Darling and Allen in expectations but if he manages over 30 goals and plays 20+ games that would be acceptable. 35+ good, anything over 40 a great year.

So…it’s pretty definitively…

Hurn, Barrass, Cole, Duggan, Hunt, McGovern, Sheed, Shuey, Kelly, Gaff, Yeo, Naitanui, Cripps, Darling, Ryan, Allen, Culley, Williams

+ 4 others =
Chesser, Ginbey, Witherden, SPS...Jones (sub)
Anyway, looks like a solid team on paper...

TBH if Waterman plays 20 games and kicks 30 goals thats still a great season for a fringe player. Watermans biggest asset is actually his game sense and craft around the forward 50. If Ryan is playing more of a high half forward role and delivering the ball fairly often I don't think its outside of the realms of a reasonable expectation.

His weakness is athleticism so high balls against taller opponents just wont work. But if he's second banana and the players lower their eyes he's every chance to have 50 shots on goal playing a bit deeper.

Now we are through the match sim/intra club games and less than 4 weeks out, I thought I would have another crack at picking the 22 + 4 emergencies for North game Round 1.

Obviously a lot to still play out, but we are getting more of an idea of who is going to be favoured.

This is what I think will happen and not necessarily what should. Either way, we should have a decent side on the park and be going in very confident.

FB Cole Barrass Hurn
W Gaff Yeo Hunt
CHF Cripps Allen SPS
R Natanui Kelly Sheed
Int Witherden Ginbey Chesser Culley
Sub JJones
EMG Hough Long Waterman

Waterman to come into the selected side if Darling doesn't get up.

It was a raffle as to who got that last forward spot out of SPS, JJones and Long, however I think they will back SPS in after a good pre-season and JJones provides more flexibility as the sub. Long unlucky at this stage, but could find his way in the team with a good outing or two in the preseason.

I would love to see Hough in the side, and hopefully comes in if Chesser is underdone still.

However if Chesser is good to go, its hard to see who hough replaces in the small back/wing spots that he is going for. Witherden maybe?

Thoughts
FB Cole Barrass Hurn
W Gaff Yeo Hunt
CHF Cripps Allen SPS
R Natanui Kelly Sheed
Int Rotham Ginbey Chesser Culley
Sub JJones
EMG Hough Hewett Waterman Jameson Witherden

After watching the Port game this side hasn't changed too much. I have replaced Witherden with rotham. I feel as though both were okay on the night. Rotham I feel gives us more athletic ability and flexibility to play big or small depending on what we need.

BWilliams and Jamo is intriguing. Hard to split them. Both had good moments on Friday. This week will be interesting to see which way the coaches are planning to go.

Thought SPS was okay - very clever with ball in hand. Hewett pressing to be sub.

Waterman still the obvious answer to play if Darling unavailable.

TBH if Waterman plays 20 games and kicks 30 goals thats still a great season for a fringe player. Watermans biggest asset is actually his game sense and craft around the forward 50. If Ryan is playing more of a high half forward role and delivering the ball fairly often I don't think its outside of the realms of a reasonable expectation.

His weakness is athleticism so high balls against taller opponents just wont work. But if he's second banana and the players lower their eyes he's every chance to have 50 shots on goal playing a bit deeper.
Sublime shot at goal IMO as well, if he can get his hands on it around the 50 he'll score.

Based on our likely supply coming in I think this will be a challenge. 30 goals for the year would be a great, yet realistic target.

ColeBarrassHurn
HuntGovDuggan
ShueySheedGaff
CrippsWatermanPetruccelle
WilliamsAllenRyan
JamiesonYeoKelly
CulleyWatermanChesserGinbey

Sub: Hewett

Emg: Witherden, SPS, Hedwards, Hough

How I reckon it'll go. Would think Darling->Waterman, Naitanui->Jamieson, if they're fit. Would prefer if Gaff was replaced by any of the subs, but after being talked up by coaches I can't see them dropping him even after his awful practice matches.

Apologies if this is already a thread, but I couldn't find one so * it. Let's have a crack at what our round 1 side is going to look like.

AFL side:

Hurn - Barrass - Cole
Hunt - McGovern - Duggan
Chesser - Yeo - Gaff
Hough - Allen - Cripps
Ryan - Darling - Williams

Naitanui - Shuey - Kelly
Sheed - Bazzo - Petrucelle - Culley

Emerg: Jones - H. Edwards - L. Edwards - Jamieson

OUT: Naitanui, Bazzo, Hough

In: Jamieson, Jones, Ginbey

Really not a fan of Hough out of the side but it is what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back