Remove this Banner Ad

Best 22 for round 1

Cole Barrass Hough
Hunt Gov Duggan
Chesser Kelly Sheed
Shuey Allen Cripps
Ryan Darling* Hewitt
Jamieson Yeo Culley

IC Jones Gibney Williams (Hurn-on notice)

Last edited:
Trying to predict the round 1 team based on what I think Simmo might select after the practice games.
Not sure how serious Bailey Williams' hammy is yet. If he doesn't get up then Harry Edwards replaces him if the back spasm isn't a big issue.
If both are out then it'll be Jamieson going solo with random taller players pinch hitting, with next player in line coming in (Hough bench, Hewert sub?).
Witho is a good chance for a bench spot since Simmo seems to like him.
I shudder at the thought of Allen being asked to take the responsibility, surely it won't happen again.

AFL:
FB Hurn Barrass Cole
HB Duggan McGovern Hunt
C Gaff Yeo Kelly
HF Petruccelle Waterman Cripps
FF Ryan Allen Jones
R B Williams* Sheed Shuey
INT Jamieson Ginbey Chesser Culley
SUB Hough
Emergencies: Witherden O'Neill Hewett

WAFL:
FB Witherden H Edwards -
HB Foley - -
C Burgiel Hewett Clark
HF Petrevski-Seton - O'Neill
FF Long - Winder
R - West Trew
INT - - - -

Injured:
Naitanui
J Williams
Darling
Rotham
L Edwards
Barnett

Unavailable:
Dewar
Baker
Bazzo

Last edited:
Cole Barrass Hough
Shuey McGovern Duggan
Chesser Sheed Hunt
Cripps Darling Ryan
SPS Allen Waterman

Ruck: Natanui Yeo Kelly

Int: Petruccelle (FWD)
Ginbey (MID)
Bazzo (BAC)
B Williams (RUC)

Hurn and Gaff can not be in this side for the team to move forward. They are unable to change the way they play.

Channel 9 seem to be suggesting that Sheed will cop a week for his swinging arm which collected Himmelberg high.

Low impact but the action certainly didn’t look good.

If he misses then Culley should surely be a certainty for Round 1 starting at the first CBD.

What I would like to see...
FB Cole. TB. Duggan
HB Hunt. Gov. Jones
C Chesser. Yeo Hough
HF Cripps. Allen Petro
FF Ryan JD. Long
Foll Jamison Ginby Shuey

IC Xon Culley HEdwards Hewitt Kelly

Focus on speed and youth to force us into fast ball movement. Gaff and Sheed way to slow, back to the WAFL. Hurn to slow to move the ball
Not sure Williams gets up so HEdwards in as cover for stints in the ruck.
Waterman in if JD isnt ready.
All of Shuey Hough and Yeo can cycle through HB. Still like Shueys work at CBDs and hoping we works the rusty disposals out. Kelly can start on the bench .

Last edited:
Really think there are quite a few older players who could (should) be dropped to the WAFL. Some (Gaff? Hurn?) maybe should stay there but others (Kelly? or Sheed? or Cole? or Duggan? or Cripps?) should be made to earn their way back into the firsts as currently they're just not consistently showing enough. Rather play a newbie with upside than wasting a spot on a coasting oldie.

This would not only open up more spots in the firsts for developing genuine talent but also strengthen the Beagles which may then also hasten the development of e.g. Trew, Winder, Foley, LEdwards, Long and the other recent draftees.

And as well, the strategy needs to be for Chesser, Ginbey, XON, Hewitt, Hough, Bazzo, Culley etc to play pretty much a full season (which may be varied on what they show and/or endurance).

Jameson needs to play plenty of games (although NN will probably provide that by being mostly injured). And maybe even one (travelling) game for Barnett just to show him what it's all about.

TB, Gov and HEdwards each play about 2/3s of a season (although Gov may provide that by being injured for several games). That not only hastens the development of HE but also gives TB a lighter year.

Similarly forward, OA and JD need to give JWilliams at least say five games for his development (or to show he's not up to it).

And god knows what we do with Witherden, Rotham, Waterman and SPS? and Petro? Job lot for a trade? :)

Hurn Barrass Duggan
Hunt Gov Hough

Sheed Kelly Chesser

Cripps Allen Petrol
Ryan Darling Long

Nic Nat, Yeo, Shuey

Int: Ginbey, B-Will, Cole, Culley
sub Hewett

emg Waterman, Headwards, Jones

Hi Eagles fans. Hope you do not mind the intrusion. I notice several of your predicted R1 teams do not include Gaff. Is he injured? Out of favor? Too old? Or simply replaced by younger players?

Hi Eagles fans. Hope you do not mind the intrusion. I notice several of your predicted R1 teams do not include Gaff. Is he injured? Out of favor? Too old? Or simply replaced by younger players?

Out of favour on this board, not with the people that actually select the team. He’ll play.

The anti-reality distortion field around Gaff will come down in 2023.

Just not in round 1.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Hurn - Barrass - Duggan
Hunt - Gov - Jones

Sheed - Kelly - Gaff

Cripps - Darling
Ryan - Allen - Petch

Nic Nat - Yeo - Shuey

Int: Ginbey - B.Williams - Cole - Chesser
Sub: Hough

emg: Waterman, H.Edwards, Hewett, XON

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Good morning Eastern Rangers, are you missing a HFF there?

B: Hurn, Barrass, Duggan
HB: Jones, McGovern, Shuey
C: Gaff, Kelly, Hunt
HF: Cripps, Allen, Petruccelle
F: Ryan, Darling*, Jamieson
R: Naitanui*, Sheed, Yeo
I: Cole, Ginbey, Hewett, O’Neill
S: Petrevski-Seton
E: Williams*, Waterman*, Culley
Emergencies for the emergencies: Edwards, Long, Hough, Witherden, Clark, West

Jamieson gets the nod over Williams. Williams comes in if Naitanui doesn’t get up.

Waterman comes in if Darling doesn’t get up.

SPS in as sub because of his versatility.

Not sure what to make of Culley’s omission v Adelaide but I feel like they would have wanted to get that side as close to the Rd 1 22 as possible, so if he was left out I assume he’s out of favour? Don’t understand it myself. Anyway Hewett and XON get the last two spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see why Culley would be out of favour, when he was favoured heavily during the preseason by coach and players?
Doubt he was carrying a slight injury, as he played almost full game in the 2nds?
It's odd that Clarke was played in the 1's over Culley.
Presuming he's not out of favour, not injured, then he should be a certainty to play round 1.
If so, then Hewett would bounce out and rack up game time in the WAFL?

Before Friday I thought there was a strong chance we would only debut Hunt in rd 1, but surely they play Ginbey now.

Jones would be a good sub if he hasn’t gotten a solid role, provides a bit of versatility.

Can't see why Culley would be out of favour, when he was favoured heavily during the preseason by coach and players?
Doubt he was carrying a slight injury, as he played almost full game in the 2nds?
It's odd that Clarke was played in the 1's over Culley.
Presuming he's not out of favour, not injured, then he should be a certainty to play round 1.
If so, then Hewett would bounce out and rack up game time in the WAFL?
Maybe they are worried that a combo of Culley, Gaff, Sheed will be too slow. Credits get picked first.

Channel 9 seem to be suggesting that Sheed will cop a week for his swinging arm which collected Himmelberg high.

Low impact but the action certainly didn’t look good.

If he misses then Culley should surely be a certainty for Round 1 starting at the first CBD.
Good, club should impose an additonal week, he's a senior player and should be setting an example better than this.

He did this piss weak tough guy act to Bobby Hill after the play in an inconsequential game in 2021. You want to be tough Sheed? Stick a tackle or make someone earn a hard ball or at least front up to someone who is looking at you.

Sniping the smallest player on the ground or someone not even aware of you is piss weak and achieves absolutely zip.

From AFL.priddis

WEST COAST

B: Tom Cole, Tom Barrass, Shannon Hurn
HB: Liam Duggan, Jeremy McGovern, Luke Shuey
C: Campbell Chesser, Dom Sheed, Andrew Gaff
HF: Jack Petruccelle, Oscar Allen, Jamie Cripps
F: Jamaine Jones, Jack Darling, Liam Ryan
Foll: Bailey Williams, Tim Kelly, Elliot Yeo
I/C: Callum Jamieson, Jayden Hunt, Reuben Ginbey, Jai Culley
EMERG: Harry Edwards, Jake Waterman, Alex Witherden, Xavier O'Neill

NEW: Campbell Chesser, Jayden Hunt, Reuben Ginbey
UNAVAILABLE: Nic Naitanui (Achilles), Jack Williams (ruptured spleen), Josh Rotham (arm)

NOTES: The ruck is an area of concern, with Naitanui unlikely to be available and Williams no certainty either. Edwards is the back-up option, with West Coast keen to avoid using Allen in the ruck. Chesser looks ready to debut, but O'Neill has played on the wing this pre-season and could be preferred if the Eagles hold their prized youngster back. Witherden is unlucky after a stellar pre-season, but Shuey's move to half-back and the ability to also rotate Ginbey and Yeo there works against him. Jones will likely get first crack as a small forward, with Samo Petrevski-Seton and draftee Noah Long to also push for opportunities in the role. Playing Waterman instead could be an option with a taller forward structure, with the 192cm Eagle also on standby in case Darling (ankle) is not passed fit. It's hard to name the impressive Elijah Hewett, given his limited pre-season game time. – Nathan Schmook

HURN BARRASS DUGGAN
COLE MCGOVERN HUNT

GAFF KELLY HOUGH

JONES DARLING RYAN
CRIPPS ALLEN PETROL

JAMO CULLEY YEO

I/C OR EME WILLIAMS GINBEY SHEED WITHERDEN SHUEY CHESSER WATERMAN bolded are the more probable.

Pretty damn hard to do knowing we are more likely to play experience over inexperience.
I think Hough is a dark horse to come straight in and roll a dice on Ginbey, Chesser, Witherden and even Sheed (but then a gain look to line above)
Not sure on the full fitness of Williams so have started Jamo.
Culley I think is a lock, tackles and runs all day. Also think he wants the ball more than a few on the list.
Would love to see Ginbey start the season but just not sure how and where, once again refer line 1.
I think the few injuries they have and the fact Roo's are not overly tall means we can go in with a few less talls and try the speed game.

As I say though BLOODY HARD. Good luck MC.

From AFL.priddis

WEST COAST

B: Tom Cole, Tom Barrass, Shannon Hurn
HB: Liam Duggan, Jeremy McGovern, Luke Shuey
C: Campbell Chesser, Dom Sheed, Andrew Gaff
HF: Jack Petruccelle, Oscar Allen, Jamie Cripps
F: Jamaine Jones, Jack Darling, Liam Ryan
Foll: Bailey Williams, Tim Kelly, Elliot Yeo
I/C: Callum Jamieson, Jayden Hunt, Reuben Ginbey, Jai Culley
EMERG: Harry Edwards, Jake Waterman, Alex Witherden, Xavier O'Neill

NEW: Campbell Chesser, Jayden Hunt, Reuben Ginbey
UNAVAILABLE: Nic Naitanui (Achilles), Jack Williams (ruptured spleen), Josh Rotham (arm)
That backline is a credits in the bank concern if we line up like that.
Two decent intercept talls but all are slow and tackling is a foreign concept.
If we can't get Chesser and Hunt into the backline to add pace we'll just get 2022 burnt time and time again. And why no Hough. And Jones was better down back that up forward.

Ginbey, Chesser and Hewett all looked good. Be great to see a couple or all 3 debut in Rd 1

I can’t see Hewett getting a full game early. Would be the perfect sub. Also it now looks like
Culley is the new whipping boy and unlikely to get a game round 1. Might have to work his way through the WAFL which unfortunately doesn’t start for a while:

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back