Prediction Best 22 for Round One, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Lennon is included in the "etc" bracket until further notice. For a guy who's tried to leave twice I think that's more than fair.

Caddy isn't a full time midfielder, he plays a lot of HF. Nankervis has a bit more to do to put Hampson into the VFL. Graham would need to improve on his kicking majorly to be there Rd 1.

Caddy wasn't brought into the side to play HF and I think you will be surprised by graham can see him ousting a few plodders

Caddy wasn't brought into the side to play HF and I think you will be surprised by graham can see him ousting a few plodders

With our midfield depth, he will certainly be apart of a resting fwd rotation. I'm Jack Grahams biggest advocate, but he has plenty to work on.

With our midfield depth, he will certainly be apart of a resting fwd rotation. I'm Jack Grahams biggest advocate, but he has plenty to work on.

Graham is a big bodied, smart and tough footballer, he gets more of the footy than Grigg, Ellis and Macintosh have ever had combined.

Graham is a big bodied, smart and tough footballer, he gets more of the footy than Grigg, Ellis and Macintosh have ever had combined.

When? He's yet to debut? :rolleyes:

I don't care what the 22 is, as long as
  • JR8 is in the foward line.
  • Rance is in the Back line.
  • Vlastuin/Cotchin/Martin is in the middle (I like Vlastuin there, he was a wrecking ball in the Hawthorn/Sydney games earlier in the year)
And Hardwick leaves them there.
Agree about JR8 ~ he does not offer what his cousin does.
I can't remember Vlas in those games against Haw/syd. But I doubt he will ever have real impact in the middle. He has now played 80 games. Leave him there play others in the middle

My only worry is (and granted this is only from the highlights clips) he looks very very much inside only... Lots of quick handballs, sometimes hurried.
I worry he is good but one dimensional.

Insert typical big footy "happy to be proved wrong" disclaimer.

FB: Vlaustin - Astbury - Grimes
HB: McIntosh - Rance - Houli
C: Grigg - Cotchin - Graham
HF: Bellis - Nank - Lloyd
FF: Rioli - Riewoldt - Lennon
R: Hampson - Martin - Prestia
Int: Caddy - Markov - Hunt - Miles

Backline: Vlas is a back pocket plumber, Batch. won't get considered.
Astbury is not that bad. He starts and if problems Griff/Elton/Mabior/Garthwaite to replace later in the season)
McIntosh to ease back into football Obviously big qn marks over his ability to get back to form. (CEllis Short, Drummond, Morris to replace if not working out)

Mids: I don't love Grigg or Hunt or BEllis but I reckon they'll get picked. BEllis should go better in a more settledd team

Graham to have immediate impact.

Fwds: Reckon lloyd has first crack at small fwd (Bolton as backup) Lennon is a good mark so with just 2 Tall fwds. he might sneak in. I reckon Griff will be injured so Nank gets first crack.

We can't have a team of inside midfielders. We need the outside runners to increase the speed of our ball movement. It always much easier to respect and value a player than wins their own ball but its the players that can finish off their work that gives you the goals.

I know we can't rely on too many kids coming in, but I re-jigged my side and wouldn't mind this round 1:

B/ Dylan Grimes - David Astbury - Ryan Garthwaite

HB/ Bachar Houli - Alex Rance - Brandon Ellis

C/ Trent Cotchin - Reece Conca - Kamdyn McIntosh

HF/ Josh Caddy - Ben Griffiths - Shane Edwards

F/ Daniel Rioli - Jack Riewoldt - Dustin Martin

R/ Toby Nankervis - Nick Vlastuin - Dion Prestia

Int/ Corey Ellis - Oleg Markov - Jack Graham - Shaun Grigg

- I only put Brandon Ellis on a HBF cause he was training with the defenders. Unfortunately, with Yarran gone we don't really have anyone else to go there except McIntosh, but I prefer Kmac on a wing.
Ellis was recruited as a medium defender anyway so I'm sure he can get it together, otherwise Markov plays there.

- Would love to get Menadue, Lloyd, Lennon and Bolton in but can't find space, and Miles is stiff but reckon Graham will be a better player and will need to be thrust into the side.

- Like the idea of all of Edwards, Rioli, Bolton and Stengle in the one side, but how do we fit them all in?

AFL
B: Grimes, Astbury, Short
HB: Houli, Rance, Markov
C: B.Ellis, Cotchin, McIntosh
HF: Martin, Griffiths, Rioli
F: Lloyd, Reiwoldt, Lennon
R: Hampson, Prestia, Caddy
I: Vlastuin, Grigg, Miles, Edwards

VFL
B: Broad, Garthwaite, Morris
HB: Hunt, Chol, Batchelor
C: Menadue, Graham, Drummond
HF: Bolton, Elton, Lambert
F: Stengle, Maric, Moore
R: Nankervis, Conca, C.Ellis
I: Butler, Soldo, Castagna, Townsend

-Grimes, Astbury, Houli, Rance all pretty well locked in the backline. Short retains his spot with Vlossy moving into a more midfield centred role, and Markov the clear option to fill the spot left by Yaz imo.
-B.Ellis I'm backing to bounce back in a big way with a new and better gameplan which should suit him a lot better. Rest of the midfield is pretty self explanatory
- Spot for Lennon definitely there if he's good enough, departure of Ty and Lids means we are pretty short up forward and he's our best and really only medium option.
- Grigg, Miles, Edwards are by no means perfect but they are all experienced and capable of playing good footy, if we have youngsters going past them it's only good for us but they need to earn that imo, as much as someone like Grigg cops it on here he averaged 25 touches and 4 clearances a game, they aren't the worst bottom 3 ever
- C.Ellis, Conca, Drummond, Menadue and Graham should all be pushing for spots in the midfield, if they can all improve then it only makes us better
- Intrigued by Garthwaite and what he can offer going forward, between Elton and Chol they should all get the chance to experiment and move around a bit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GRIMES....ASTBURY....SHORT
HOULI......RANCE........CONCA
BELLIS.....VLAS..........GRIGG
LLOYD......REIWOLDT..LENNON
DUSTY.....HAMSON.....RIOLI

NANKERVIS...PRESTIA...EDWARDS

COTCH....MILES....CADDY....MARKOV

FB Short Rance Grimes
HB Markov Astbury Houli
C Mcintosh Vlastuin Edwards
HF Lloyd Griffiths Lennon
FF Bolton Reiwoldt Rioli
FOLL Hampson Cotchin Martin
INT Miles Caddy Prestia Elton
EMER Ellis Nankervis Ellis Drummond

We can't have a team of inside midfielders. We need the outside runners to increase the speed of our ball movement. It always much easier to respect and value a player than wins their own ball but its the players that can finish off their work that gives you the goals.
One of the best players in the GF was Clay Smith. A plodding one dimensional midfielder, played as a half forward. The Dogs have taken contested midfielders and made it work for them in other positions. We don't need anymore down hill skiers.

Post rookie draft , Stengle bandwagon edition:

Markov. Astbury. Corey Ellis.
Vlastuin. Rance. Grimes.
Bolton. Prestia. Caddy.
Griffiths. Garthwaite. Rioli.
Lloyd. Reiwoldt. Stengle.
Nankervis. Martin. Cotchin.

Miles. Castagna. Menadue. Mcintosh.

Graham. Maric. Edwards.

-Sack hardwick.

Last edited:
s**t I hope houlie doesnt make our best 22

Amen brother.

FB Short Rance Grimes
HB Markov Astbury Houli
C Mcintosh Vlastuin Edwards
HF Lloyd Griffiths Lennon
FF Bolton Reiwoldt Rioli
FOLL Hampson Cotchin Martin
INT Miles Caddy Prestia Elton
EMER Ellis Nankervis Ellis Drummond

A flag looks a long way off with ...

short, Drummond, elton, Houli, Edwards, b Ellis, Hampson (lol), Lennon... Conca

Some of these guys really get to get s**t together

Grigg is a lost cause

Last edited:
granted he has size and endurance but he doesn't have the smarts or skill set to be a top notch mid and doesnt have the defensive traits or experience to be a defender...
just because someone has the frame or the size to play a certain position doesn't mean they can...
Deledio, Vickery, Elton and Mcbean are classic examples
was just haveing a quick look.thought i would add two bobs worth.

McIntosh well fair dinkum could play KPD in time. He was an exceptional talent as a defender in his junior days.
The problem is those in charge have insisted he is a mid from get go and have hardly ever played him the defensive role of third tall defender.
IF DEVELOPED in the role i think he will be a fine tall defender who will provide some run and carry out of the back half.But it will take a little bit of time for him to readjust and make that transition at afl level. Imo we should just play and develop him in the role.
The only other players we atm have who are capable of playing third tall are Batchelor and thats a big no for me, i dont know how he stayed on the list. Garthwaite and he is miles away physically and the other is Grimes.
The trouble with Grimes is he plays far better on the med/sml types and is probably the best defender we have for them. It really is a case of having a tall player who does not play tall. it means we still need that third tall.

Personally the back half would go

FB/ Grimes sml/med - Astbury KPD - Castagna sml .
HB/ Vlastuin med - Rance KPD - McIntosh third tall.

Other sml/med options for the hb flanks are imo anyway Menadue, Markov, Broad Castagna.I actually prefer Castagna over Short he is quick and he is a terrier and not afraid to take the game on.
When Both Menadue and Markov really bulk up and get to a decent competetive size, then if you want super pace, rebounding, real good delivery and a good defensive bent to them, blokes who dont panic, then those two would make ideal running defenders.
For now because of their size i would not hesitate to play em both on the wings. Tallish 188cm, super quick, will run both ways great kicking skills. If we want inside mids to get the ball out to players then get it out to these two they have the attributes to light up the mcg wings and i think they both could be damaging goal kicking mids .Their attributes clearly are suited to wing/hb. Develop them both in either role, in many ways the line for both roles has become blurred anyway.

Castagna, McIntosh, Menadue Markov have shown more than enough they have shown they can play at the level and the upside in each is clear we need to get games into them and if thats at the expense of Houli B Ellis Hunt Grigg and many others so be it.
It may be a small step backwards right now but the benefits of playing them wont take long to come to the fore.

Theres a dozen players who are regulars who quite frankly i dont ever want to see in the ones again unless there is no choice.

Last edited:
was just haveing a quick look.thought i would add two bobs worth.

McIntosh well fair dinkum could play KPD in time. He was an exceptional talent as a defender in his junior days.
The problem is those in charge have insisted he is a mid from get go and have hardly ever played him the defensive role of third tall defender.
IF DEVELOPED in the role i think he will be a fine tall defender who will provide some run and carry out of the back half.But it will take a little bit of time for him to readjust and make that transition at afl level. Imo we should just play and develop him in the role.
The only other players we atm have who are capable of playing third tall are Batchelor and thats a big no for me, i dont know how he stayed on the list. Garthwaite and he is miles away physically and the other is Grimes.
The trouble with Grimes is he plays far better on the med/sml types and is probably the best defender we have for them. It really is a case of having a tall player who does not play tall. it means we still need that third tall.

Personally the back half would go

FB/ Grimes sml/med - Astbury KPD - Castagna sml .
HB/ Vlastuin med - Rance KPD - McIntosh third tall.

Other sml/med options for the hb flanks are imo anyway Menadue, Markov, Broad Castagna.I actually prefer Castagna over Short he is quick and he is a terrier and not afraid to take the game on.
When Both Menadue and Markov really bulk up and get to a decent competetive size, then if you want super pace, rebounding, real good delivery and a good defensive bent to them, blokes who dont panic, then those two would make ideal running defenders.
For now because of their size i would not hesitate to play em both on the wings. Tallish 188cm, super quick, will run both ways great kicking skills. If we want inside mids to get the ball out to players then get it out to these two they have the attributes to light up the mcg wings and i think they both could be damaging goal kicking mids .Their attributes clearly are suited to wing/hb. Develop them both in either role, in many ways the line for both roles has become blurred anyway.

Castagna, McIntosh, Menadue Markov have shown more than enough they have shown they can play at the level and the upside in each is clear we need to get games into them and if thats at the expense of Houli B Ellis Hunt Grigg and many others so be it.
It may be a small step backwards right now but the benefits of playing them wont take long to come to the fore.

Theres a dozen players who are regulars who quite frankly i dont ever want to see in the ones again unless there is no choice.

I agree, getting games into Castagna, McIntosh, Menadue and Markov at the expense of Ellis, grigg Houli and co is paramount however I don't think the wing is the same position it used to be.

these days you need speed on the HB and HF flanks and pure grunt in the guts, wingers are now onballers and the Flankers push up the ground to provide the run that a winger used to.

Markov, Rioli, Menadue, Bolton, Macintosh all give us speed and run.... Vlastuin, Caddy, Prestia, Cotchin, Graham provide grunt

Martin and Jack provide 1 on 1 power up forward

Hmm brad hill and smith. Pearce and steven hill. just two teams who come to mind who have had success with outside hard running quick wingers im sure if i look this would still apply to most teams.Gaff and bugger whats his name at the eagles.Jetta at sydney not a good example complete dud but he still played in a g/f.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back