Prediction Best 22 for Round One, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Heres my breakdown on our likely Rd 1 22. Underrated depth, aside from our KPPs, which will be addressed next season you'd think. The overall list gives me hope of a best finish at around 7th, and a worst of around 13th.

B: Grimes Rance Vlastuin
HB: Houli Astbury Markov

(Solid defence if healthy. Big if on Astbury. Plenty of run and carry here if our play style permits with the likes of Houli, Markov, Kmac, Bellis, Cellis, Short etc rotating through. Rance or Astbury goes down and well...)

C: B. Ellis Cotchin McIntosh
(Kmac training with the mids suggests he's poised for a wing role, where he needs to be. Bellis on the wing should see him return to his 2014/15 self. Markov should see some time on the wings, as well as Edwards, Grigg etc)

HF: Edwards Griffiths Caddy
FF: Rioli Riewoldt Lloyd

(Potential for a dangerous forward line with a rotating/resting mid like Dusty and Cotch. A healthy and consistent Griff/Lennon would go a LONG way to some real potency. Another big question mark though. TBA on how ready Bolton is, but the kid is pure flash and will one day hopefully form an unstoppable partnership with Rioli. Riewoldt needs to play out of the square when Dusty or Cotch isn't resting. Nankervis is a CHF, then Ruckman, and will be fighting for Griffiths spot imo.

R: Hampson Martin Prestia
(Deadly midfield with great depth that would only be bettered by having Vlastuin rotating through. Nankervis is Hammers' only real threat at the ruck spot, however I can't see him dislodging him unless injury strikes or Hammer regresses. Not sure we can afford to start Griff, Hammer and Nank together. Predicting Cotchin returns to some of his best footy and Dusty goes one better. Caddy finally has an opportunity to make a genuine name for himself in the midfield. Jack Graham would be a treat to see break into the 22...unless we're only blooding youth due to a failed season. Prestia healthy is a pure A Grader.

INT+EMG: Grigg, Lennon, Short, Miles, Nankervis, Lambert, Cellis, Menadue, Bolton, Conca, Drummond, Morris, Graham, Batchelor, Butler.
(Hard to pinpoint the consensus 4th selection here after hopefully Lennon, Miles and Grigg. Above are the guys I think have senior potential in 2017, to what capacity remains to be seen. No Elton, Chol, Garthwaite, Maric, Townsend, Hunt, Broad imo. Cellis really needs to string together a full season.

Talent is there, with a good injury run, revitalised game plan/play style and some fresh coaching ideas and tactics, I'm comfortable in saying I have optimism for a finals push, but not much more. Rance or Jack goes down and we're f****d though.

Last edited:
Heres my breakdown on our likely Rd 1 22. Underrated depth, aside from our KPPs, which will be addressed next season you'd think. The overall list gives me hope of a best finish at around 7th, and a worst of around 13th.

B: Grimes Rance Vlastuin
HB: Houli Astbury Markov

(Solid defence if healthy. Big if on Astbury. Plenty of run and carry here if our play style permits with the likes of Houli, Markov, Kmac, Bellis, Cellis, Short etc rotating through. Rance or Astbury goes down and well...)

C: B. Ellis Cotchin McIntosh
(Kmac training with the mids suggests he's poised for a wing role, where he needs to be. Bellis on the wing should see him return to his 2014/15 self. Markov should see some time on the wings, as well as Edwards, Grigg etc)

HF: Edwards Griffiths Caddy
FF: Rioli Riewoldt Lloyd

(Potential for a dangerous forward line with a rotating/resting mid like Dusty and Cotch. A healthy and consistent Griff/Lennon would go a LONG way to some real potency. Another big question mark though. TBA on how ready Bolton is, but the kid is pure flash and will one day hopefully form an unstoppable partnership with Rioli. Riewoldt needs to play out of the square when Dusty or Cotch isn't resting. Nankervis is a CHF, then Ruckman, and will be fighting for Griffiths spot imo.

R: Hampson Martin Prestia
(Deadly midfield with great depth that would only be bettered by having Vlastuin rotating through. Nankervis is Hammers' only real threat at the ruck spot, however I can't see him dislodging him unless injury strikes or Hammer regresses. Not sure we can afford to start Griff, Hammer and Nank together. Predicting Cotchin returns to some of his best footy and Dusty goes one better. Caddy finally has an opportunity to make a genuine name for himself in the midfield. Jack Graham would be a treat to see break into the 22...unless we're only blooding youth due to a failed season. Prestia healthy is a pure A Grader.

INT+EMG: Grigg, Lennon, Short, Miles, Nankervis, Lambert, Cellis, Menadue, Bolton, Conca, Drummond, Morris, Graham, Batchelor, Butler.
(Hard to pinpoint the consensus 4th selection here after hopefully Lennon, Miles and Grigg. Above are the guys I think have senior potential in 2017, to what capacity remains to be seen. No Elton, Chol, Garthwaite, Maric, Townsend, Hunt, Broad imo. Cellis really needs to string together a full season.

Talent is there, with a good injury run, revitalised game plan/play style and some fresh coaching ideas and tactics, I'm comfortable in saying I have optimism for a finals push, but not much more. Rance or Jack goes down and we're f****d though.
I translate 'optimism for a finals PUSH' as by r22 we are 8-10 on the ladder? Not sure where 'solid defence' gets its justification. Same as last season isn't it?

you won't be laughing when you start with Ellis, Houli, Lambert, Grigg, Edwards and wonder why we are 3 wins from 10 and changing coaches.

same approach same results

Different approach.

Prestia, Caddy, McIntosh, Nankervis, Lennon, Conca, C Ellis and Houli are massive changes to last year.

No need to play the children until they're ready.

I just laughed at Goldust's response...which was spot on. We are rooted if your team is on the park.

Won't happen.

You forget that neither C Eliis or KMac have the runs on the board that Grigg has. Agree Grigg isn't much but like Hunt, Lambert, Morris, Houli etc he plays a role that the coach wants. Time for a few kids to step up and demand a game and kick this role players out.

Agree that Cellis doeant have the runs on the board...like Lennon, if they werent taken as high draft picks we wouldnt be anticipating much...

KMac is different...he has the runs on the board ... in 2015 he played every game, including a fnals game.
2015 was a breakout year..NAB AFL Rising Star nominee ....pity he was injured from round 7 in 2016 ...His hard 2-way running was missed last season

He is a lock for best 22 this Season

you think last year was an off year.... nope
it was a result of what talent we had on the park

Funny, considering 85% of the talent on the park were on the park in 2015 when we finished 5th.

Drummond was best 22 before injury hopefully he comes back strong

Graham, Bolton and Stengle have talent well above others on our list and if their body and fitness is up to it they should be played

Menadue and Costanza have shown they have the ability question will be how much they have developed by end of the year

Chol and Garthwait are reaches but who knows

one thing is for certain if you play the same players as last year you will get similar results

Nank, Caddy, Prestia and Vickery are all mandatory changes so the side is looking different already, new coaches will push for new options

don't be surprised if the team looks completely different by the end of the year

I would dispute Drummoind was ever best 22,
The guy played one quarter in his debut year and didn't crack a senior game until late in the season and played five.
Seriously .... best 22. He ain' best 22 now either!
When was the last time we nailed three or four straight draft picks plus a rookie pick in one year? hang on ... when was the last time ANY club did that? It doesn't happen.
Even GWS and Gold Coast with their bevy of round picks didn't land four or five immediate guns, but we are going to do it?
But we're going to do it with a second rounder, third rounder, fourth rounder and a rookie???

Different approach.

Prestia, Caddy, McIntosh, Nankervis, Lennon, Conca, C Ellis and Houli are massive changes to last year.

I just laughed at Goldust's response...which was spot on. We are rooted if your team is on the
Funny, considering 85% of the talent on the park were on the park in 2015 when we finished 5th.

Great roll them out again this year and see what you get, there are some 13 player changes to that list in 2015 and most of them are improvements.

I would dispute Drummoind was ever best 22,
The guy played one quarter in his debut year and didn't crack a senior game until late in the season and played five.
Seriously .... best 22. He ain' best 22 now either!
When was the last time we nailed three or four straight draft picks plus a rookie pick in one year? hang on ... when was the last time ANY club did that? It doesn't happen.
Even GWS and Gold Coast with their bevy of round picks didn't land four or five immediate guns, but we are going to do it?
But we're going to do it with a second rounder, third rounder, fourth rounder and a rookie???

Drummond debuted in round 4 of his first season so that says something, he the wrecks his knee needing a reconstruction yet he still manages 4 games towards the end of last year so I would say that says something else.
THe club believes he is a player and if he has recovered which his training and running reports suggest he has I think you will see him in the 22.

Agree that Cellis doeant have the runs on the board...like Lennon, if they werent taken as high draft picks we wouldnt be anticipating much...

KMac is different...he has the runs on the board ... in 2015 he played every game, including a fnals game.
2015 was a breakout year..NAB AFL Rising Star nominee ....pity he was injured from round 7 in 2016 ...His hard 2-way running was missed last season

He is a lock for best 22 this Season
As good as he was in 2015 it was just a foundation year for him. 2016 was to be Mckintosh's year. Didn't eventuate due to injury but others like Short and Markov also put their hands up. I don't think Mackintosh is a lock yet (well I hope he isn't anyway) as he is still only emerging. 2017 will certainly an once a couple whether that is Mackintosh, Short, Markov etc. it's up to them now to put their hand up after a solid preseason. We still have serviceable role players like Hunt Grigg, Morris, Lambert etc playing. They all play roles but are not premiership players.

Drummond debuted in round 4 of his first season so that says something, he the wrecks his knee needing a reconstruction yet he still manages 4 games towards the end of last year so I would say that says something else.
THe club believes he is a player and if he has recovered which his training and running reports suggest he has I think you will see him in the 22.
Is not likely to play round 1 unless he does something super special in the preseason games and other cop nurses. Those four games late last year when we were in full n play the kids mode showed he has a long way to go. Still only 21 though so time is on his side.

maybe not the best 22 for round 1 but this is the team I would like to see by the end of the year

B. Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
H. Bolton Rance Markov
C. Caddy Graham Macintosh
H. Rioli Jack Martin
F. Stengle Griffiths Lloyd
R. Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
I. Menadue, Drummond, Costanza, Chol/Garthwaite
What the hell is Bolton doing on the HBF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From experience, of course they can. Having been lucky enough to be part of a winning culture in a sports environment I can say with first hand experience.
Good for you and your successes but you know your not the lone ranger.Very presumptious of you to think others with a differing opinion have not had first hand experience of a winning culture.

Drummond was best 22 before injury hopefully he comes back strong

Graham, Bolton and Stengle have talent well above others on our list and if their body and fitness is up to it they should be played

Menadue and Costanza have shown they have the ability question will be how much they have developed by end of the year

Chol and Garthwait are reaches but who knows

one thing is for certain if you play the same players as last year you will get similar results

Nank, Caddy, Prestia and Vickery are all mandatory changes so the side is looking different already, new coaches will push for new options

don't be surprised if the team looks completely different by the end of the year

Fair stretch to say Drummond is best 22 before his injury when he did his knee in the second quarter of his debut.

Different approach.

I just laughed at Goldust's response...which was spot on. We are rooted if your team is on the park.

Won't happen.
We are rooted if we play the same no hopers sort of a catch 22 then.
So whats best stick with the known duds or try something different like playing some kids who have good attributes for the game.
All i can say is while i agree it wont happen it needs to happen.

Anyway whats with the massive changes comment? of those you named only Prestia has a record that suggests he will make a significant difference.

HMM
Prestia top 5
Caddy could be a 10 - 22 player depending so he could make a difference IF he improves.
McIntosh at his best so far is a 16-22 player as a mid is extremely over rated.
Nankervis lol so far is a below standard player who needs as much developing as say Elton.
Lennon has not done a thing and although im one who advocates we need to play him is probably not best 22 atm
C Ellis see Lennon.
Houli well depending on what side of the fence your on he is either top 10 or a bum.Cant say it enough there is a great need to find players who will stand up under pressure Houli is not one of them.

I suppose the crux of many most debates on this site comes down to weather you think there is need for change or not.Tango like me clearly thinks it is insane to just keep on regurgitating blokes who have failed when it matters.I suppose we are the ones who dont care about ladder finish because we think it more beneficial to the long term to play younger blokes who may or may not take us to where we want to go than play blokes who we know wont get us anywhere.

Good for you and your successes but you know your not the lone ranger.Very presumptious of you to think others with a differing opinion have not had first hand experience of a winning culture.

Not presumptious at all. Stated my opinion is based on my experience. That's it. Nothing more. If others have experience if success and a differing opinion I am more than happy to hear it.

Ironically I agree with your best 22 for the most part :p

So whats best stick with the known duds or try something different like playing some kids who have good attributes for the game.

Anyway whats with the massive changes comment? of those you named only Prestia has a record that suggests he will make a significant difference.

HMM
Prestia top 5
Caddy could be a 10 - 22 player depending so he could make a difference IF he improves.
Nankervis lol so far is a below standard player who needs as much developing as say Elton.
Lennon has not done a thing and although im one who advocates we need to play him is probably not best 22 atm
C Ellis see Lennon.
Houli well depending on what side of the fence your on he is either top 10 or a bum.Cant say it enough there is a great need to find players who will stand up under pressure Houli is not one of them.

I suppose the crux of many most debates on this site comes down to weather you think there is need for change or not.Tango like me clearly thinks it is insane to just keep on regurgitating blokes who have failed when it matters.I suppose we are the ones who dont care about ladder finish because we think it more beneficial to the long term to play younger blokes who may or may not take us to where we want to go than play blokes who we know wont get us anywhere.

Surely not

Cant agree on Drummond dont think he will make it for several reasons.Imo at best we have a foot soldier.

I translate 'optimism for a finals PUSH' as by r22 we are 8-10 on the ladder? Not sure where 'solid defence' gets its justification. Same as last season isn't it?

6-10 on the ladder will likely have us competing with Eagles, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Melbourne etc. So probably about right.

Solid defence is very justifiable. We didn't have Houli for large parts of 2016, so too Kmac who provides a huge amount of run and carry between HB and Wing. Markov was a late revelation but would have to be a starter come day 1. Our team isn't greatly different to the one we were using in our finals years. It's our game plan that needs fixing, the talent is there.

HMM
Prestia top 5
C Ellis see Lennon.

Why "lol" at Nankervis? He's a Hunter Harrison medallist (along with KKolo, Heeney, Keays, Bowes) CHF who can ruck as well, and is still only 22. Showed huge promise in his limited opportunities at one of the best teams in the game.

HMM
Prestia top 5
C Ellis see Lennon.

Agree Mopsy, a team with Houli in the HBF, Ellis and Grigg on the wings and Lambert and Edwards in the fwd line won't get near a flag.

What the hell is Bolton doing on the HBF?

Have you seen him play, looked amazing playing at HB as a junior, very similar player to Yarran and HBF was where he was going to play.

Even the words out of his own mouth..... I just get and take off, I love to run with it.

Would be dynamite of HBF IMO

Have you seen him play, looked amazing playing at HB as a junior, very similar player to Yarran and HBF was where he was going to play.

Even the words out of his own mouth..... I just get and take off, I love to run with it.

Would be dynamite of HBF IMO
Surely he's far too small at afl level?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back