Int: Grigg, Caddy, Vlastuin, Miles

This team has considerable upside;
- 2 second year players
- 5 third year players
- 2 fourth year players
- all 9 players have less than 50 games experience
- the midfield runs deep and has considerable experience
- All non-midfield or KP players are quick

I actually like this team and is about the best team to put on the park in round 1 against Carlton, But have a feeling that Lambert,Hunt,Conca will be selected ahead of kids like Cellis,Menadue & Butler

(Log in to remove this ad.)

make sure you put in two rucks for your best 22 teams

AFL Facebook page
February 28, 2017 5:00 PM

AFL Media's Ask the Coach series continued on Tuesday with Richmond boss Damien Hardwick answering your questions on Facebook.

Chris Dalmau:
Where do you see Corey Ellis fitting into the side with the likes of Houli, Brandon Ellis, and markov? I really like his foot skills and hope he can hold down a spot across half back.

Dimma:
We really like what Corey brings to the table, I agree with you on his great foot skills. I think he can play wing and half back.

Brendan Fisher:
Will any of the new draftees (Graham, Bolton, Garthwaite) get an opportunity in the JLT series or are they still in development stage?

Dimma:
They're probably still in the development stage, that's not to say they might make an appearance later in the #JLTSeries.

Brendan Fisher:
When will the decision be made to promote a rookie? Castagna and Butler both looked great on Friday, will you wait to see more potential in future games?

Dimma:
I think so, we have one available rookie spot at this stage and are fortunate to have competition for that spot from a number of players.

Aidan Berg:
Will our tackle numbers and pressure around the ground improve from what it has been over the past couple of years?

Dimma:
We would hope so, it is something we've focused on over the off-season.

Scott Buchholz:
How much midfield time are you looking to give caddy vs up forward?

Dimma:
That's a good question. It probably depends on how he and others are going. We'd like to rotate Martin, Cotchin, Caddy and Vlastuin through the forward line.

Tyron Kerr:
When will the leadership group be announced dimma?

Dimma:
When I know you'll be the first to know!

Steven Hampton:
Who would you say is doing the best in the pre-season so far of the new recruits?

Dimma:
It's probably unfair to name one, I have been impressed by them all at different stages.

James Laughlin-glen:
Will toby nankervis take the number 1 ruck role this season?

Dimma:
I thought Toby and Ivan were very good on the weekend. We have some tough decisions to make, can we play two?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-28/ask-the-coach-damien-hardwick

What do you think he means by that? Do you think he means that our plans have always been just one ruckman supported by Griffiths or that we were planning on playing Nankervis and Hampson along with Griffiths but now Maric has made the decision of the second ruckman less clean cut?

I actually believe the first option is the most likely. Even listening to the Vickery interview he pretty much said that he was forced out of the club because Richmond were going to try something new this year in the forwardline. I take that as suggesting that we were going to go smaller and use more resting midfielders.

So expect Nankervis playing with Griffiths supporting. Nankervis has an opportunity to claim the number one ruck spot if he can play out of his skin while Hampson is sitting on the sidelines recovering.

Maric will be a strong backup imo and support Soldo in the VFL for much of the year.

I know I keep banging on in the best 22 sides against everyone and saying Griffiths not what we should be doing as 2nd ruck, but is it looking more likely two rucks will play, or is the coach just being polite and saying indirectly to Maric/Hampson, you're still a chance?

R1 we'll find out... again...don't want Griffiths as 2nd ruck!!

Grigg is always good.
This year I might have to make it my mission to give Grigg the love he deserves. He always gets so much hate that he just doesn't deserve. Yes, he's never going to be an A grade superstar but that's not a bad thing!

Grimes Astbury Short
Markov Rance Houli
McIntosh Martin Grigg
Caddy Griffiths Vlastuin
Rioli Riewoldt Lloyd
Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
B. Ellis Edwards Miles Castagna

Maric Conca C. Ellis Menadue Butler

Grimes Astbury Short
Markov Rance Houli

McIntosh Martin Grigg
Caddy Griffiths Vlastuin
Rioli Riewoldt Lloyd
Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
B. Ellis Edwards Miles Castagna

Maric Conca C. Ellis Menadue Butler
This seems to be the consensus best back 6, positions up the ground there is more varied opinion.

This seems to be the consensus best back 6, positions up the ground there is more varied opinion.
Although no Houli yet in the preseason will make it hard for him to play Round 1. And it doesn't look like he'll play this week either.

Hampson will be underdone round one, so if we play two it will be Nankervis and Maric.
I see us playing one in Nankervis, with Griffiths as support.
It's the way I'd go, even if Hampson was fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back