Best 22 for the start of 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It is that time of year again and with trade week now over I am getting in early.

B: A.Johnson, A.Aliir, N.Smith
HB: D.Rampe, H.Grundy, J.McVeigh
C: I.Heeney, J.Kennedy, D.Hannebery
HF: G.Rohan, L.Franklin, L.Parker
F: X.Richards, K.Tippett, Papley
R: S.Naismith, C.Mills, K.Jack
I/C: J.Dawson, G.Hewett, J.Lloyd, H.Marsh
EMG: D.Towers, H.Cunningham, J.Laidler

In this I am assuming the best and assuming that Johnson will be fit and firing for the 2017 season. I am also assuming that we manage to convince XR to stay with us. If not XR then put Reid in but who knows if he will be fit. I also moved Rampe to halfback, as I think he would be excellent in that role if Johnson came back.

There's no chance in hell AJ goes straight into the senior side after 4 years out with only a quarter of NEAFL football in that time period.

Well the thread is mostly early 2017 rather than round 1, and I was thinking if he got a good preseason and played in the NAB Cup games it was a possibility he would be in the team round 1. He was already running a few months ago so his knee will probably be right by December or early 2017 (assuming there are no more complications).

I like it. But AJ goes out for Zak. Xav goes out for Reid. Robinson also prob steals an em position off Laids unless we need an extra defender who can play on a tallish opponent.

I really hope AJ gets back into the 22 though. It's where he belongs.

Macca can't play of HB imo , gets turned around far to easy now

Hanners stays on a wing , no more inside work

Tippett and Naismith isn't a good combo as there both play there best as number 1 rucks

Nailed it on all fronts there. I rate Naismith inside 50. He's like a giraffe but it makes watching him awkwardly picking up the ground balls and snapping around his body somewhat entertaining

Nailed it on all fronts there. I rate Naismith inside 50. He's like a giraffe but it makes watching him awkwardly picking up the ground balls and snapping around his body somewhat entertaining

Naismith is a much better tap ruckman than Tippett though. I mean Tippett is serviceable but Naismith provides our midfielders with a genuine advantage.

Naismith is a much better tap ruckman than Tippett though. I mean Tippett is serviceable but Naismith provides our midfielders with a genuine advantage.

If Tippett could just return to his key forward peak it wouldn't be a problem. I actually think Naismith is better in both positions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is that time of year again and with trade week now over I am getting in early.

B: A.Johnson, A.Aliir, N.Smith
HB: D.Rampe, H.Grundy, J.McVeigh
C: I.Heeney, J.Kennedy, D.Hannebery
HF: G.Rohan, L.Franklin, L.Parker
F: X.Richards, K.Tippett, Papley
R: S.Naismith, C.Mills, K.Jack
I/C: J.Dawson, G.Hewett, J.Lloyd, H.Marsh
EMG: D.Towers, H.Cunningham, J.Laidler

In this I am assuming the best and assuming that Johnson will be fit and firing for the 2017 season. I am also assuming that we manage to convince XR to stay with us. If not XR then put Reid in but who knows if he will be fit. I also moved Rampe to halfback, as I think he would be excellent in that role if Johnson came back.
Sorry I had to laugh :D
So let me get this right, you assume that a guy who's had 4 knee reco's and laced on a boot once in 4 years will be fit and firing but you don't know if Reid will be? Honestly nothing personal, but can you see the ridiculous irony in that?

Sorry I had to laugh :D
So let me get this right, you assume that a guy who's had 4 knee reco's and hasn't laced on a boot for 4 years will be fit and firing but you don't know if Reid will be? Honestly nothing personal, but can you see the ridiculous irony in that?

Johnson is on the road to recovery, but I have no idea how Reid is going recovery wise.

I'll wait until after the draft

I would think with the talent we have on our list nobody we get from the draft would be getting a game in round one... it would almost be unfair to guys like Newman, Foote, O'Riordan who have been thriving in the reserves for the whole year

I would think with the talent we have on our list nobody we get from the draft would be getting a game in round one... it would almost be unfair to guys like Newman, Foote, O'Riordan who have been thriving in the reserves for the whole year

Fair call. Pick 9 is a good pick though.

FB: Smith, Grundy, Aliir
HB: Jones, Rampe, Mills
C: Heeney, Kennedy, Lloyd
HF: Hewett, Reid, Jack
FF: Papley, Franklin, Rohan
R: Tippett, Parker, Hannebery
INT: McVeigh, Robinson, Naismith, Scrimshaw :cool:

Both of our last 2 first round draft picks have come straight into the best 22 and succeeded.
I'll be honest and say that I know nothing of this years crop but our trading strategy of getting higher in the draft means we are more than likely targeting someone specific so its not inconceivable that they come straight in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back