Best 22 for the start of 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll take it as best 22 come years end, because I think like this year a few players are gonna force themselves into the side.

Smith grundy Newman
Rampe Aliir Loyd

Jones Parker Heeney

Dawson Franklin Rohan
Papley Tippet Reid.

Followers: Kennedy Hannerbury Naismith

Interchange Mills Jack Hewett (Logue or pick 9)

Im putting Mills on the interchange to indicate that he will be running through the midfield and not playing off the half back, not as a demotion. I think he will be increasingly important.

Dawson mightn't have his body quite right by this season, but I'm hopeful. Im bulkish on the kid.

On Galaxy Nexus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll take it as best 22 come years end, because I think like this year a few players are gonna force themselves into the side.

Smith grundy Newman
Rampe Aliir Loyd

Jones Parker Heeney

Dawson Franklin Rohan
Papley Tippet Reid.

Followers: Kennedy Hannerbury Naismith

Interchange Mills Jack Hewett (Logue or pick 9)

Im putting Mills on the interchange to indicate that he will be running through the midfield and not playing off the half back, not as a demotion. I think he will be increasingly important.

Dawson mightn't have his body quite right by this season, but I'm hopeful. Im bulkish on the kid.

Oh damnit I forgot aj! Its good, its becoming very difficult to fit everyone in!

AJ might not even make it back to seniors next year. It's an unknown and the likelihood he'll just slot seamlessly back into the side is, IMO, doubtful. He's going to need a solid month or two of NEAFL to shake off that rust and build up that confidence again.

I really hope to see him run out with the boys next year. If anyone can do it he can. I'm just also offsetting this with the expectation he probably won't. I don't want to set myself up for his triumphant return to seniors only for it not to happen.

AJ might not even make it back to seniors next year. It's an unknown and the likelihood he'll just slot seamlessly back into the side is, IMO, doubtful. He's going to need a solid month or two of NEAFL to shake off that rust and build up that confidence again.

I really hope to see him run out with the boys next year. If anyone can do it he can. I'm just also offsetting this with the expectation he probably won't. I don't want to set myself up for his triumphant return to seniors only for it not to happen.

I am hopeful with AJ that he will be able to take part in the NAB Cup. Probably not realistic but it would be great to see him there.

I am hopeful with AJ that he will be able to take part in the NAB Cup. Probably not realistic but it would be great to see him there.
I personally would prefer not to see him in the NAB cup.

After what his been through, I would prefer a lot more strengthening work/running before we get him doing drills/matches that put strain on his knee.

Just a simple turn in a drill/side step could snap it again.

Id prefer a more cautious approach to be honest and see him in the back half of the season/eased into football through reserves.

Also after 4 years out, you also don't want the added intensity of the AFL, regardless if it's NAB as your first run.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

B: Smith - Grundy - Rampe
HB: Jones - Aliir - Lloyd
C: Hannebery - Kennedy - Heeney
HF: Jack - Reid - Hewett
F: Rohan - Franklin - Papley
R: Tippett - Parker - Mills
INT: Naismith - McVeigh - Hayward - Robinson?

I know everyone is keen to see the new kids but seriously Hayward will not be in the team before Dawson.

I know everyone is keen to see the new kids but seriously Hayward will not be in the team before Dawson.

If I was just keen to see the new kids I would have slotted Florent into Robinson's spot.

I rate Hayward enough to put him in the 22.

If I was just keen to see the new kids I would have slotted Florent into Robinson's spot.

I rate Hayward enough to put him in the 22.

That's fair enough. everyones opinion is different. I honestly can't see any of them starting in our best 22. All 4 will start their careers in the reserves. Doesn't mean they won't get a game some time throughout the year.

Assuming all fit and ready to play (other than Alex Johnson) and our current list, atm I'd go with:

B: Nick Smith - Heath Grundy - Dane Rampe
HB: Jake Lloyd - Aliir Aliir - Callum Mills
C: Zak Jones - Luke Parker - Isaac Heeney
HF: Kieren Jack - Lance Franklin - Gary Rohan
F: Tom Papley - Kurt Tippett - Sam Reid
R: Sam Naismith - Josh Kennedy - Dan Hannebery

I/C: George Hewett - Nic Newman - Dean Towers - Jarrad McVeigh

Emer: Callum Sinclair - Harry Cunningham - Jeremy Laidler

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming all fit and ready to play (other than Alex Johnson) and our current list, atm I'd go with:

I like it! It's pretty close to mine. :thumbsu:

I've managed to fit Robbo in there tho. I thought he showed enough before he did his shoulder & deserved his spot up to that point. I think he would've held it too if not for injury.

I really like your inclusion of NicNew too. Only problem I see is that I'd have Marshy in there. Perhaps Talia too (depending on his comeback, only seen him 4 half a game).

i like jones in the mids for his aggression and speed. i'd have newman in lloyds place for his more penetrating kick.

i like jones in the mids for his aggression and speed. i'd have newman in lloyds place for his more penetrating kick.

I'm not moving Lloyd for anyone currently. He had a really good 2016 imo. I wasn't convinced at first he could improve his defence to be a sustainable defender but he has. And his constant run and linking up is so valuable. He's always working his arse off to provide an option.

I want Newman in the side too but Lloyd has solidified his place across HB and maybe onto a wing.

I'm not moving Lloyd for anyone currently. He had a really good 2016 imo. I wasn't convinced at first he could improve his defence to be a sustainable defender but he has. And his constant run and linking up is so valuable. He's always working his arse off to provide an option.

I want Newman in the side too but Lloyd has solidified his place across HB and maybe onto a wing.

i wasn't suggesting you should but saying that is what i would do. working your arse off is one thing but i find his kicking ineffective. he is an accurate kick but it has no penetration. when he tries for a more attacking kick he turns it over or sets up a teammate to get smashed. he is too slow to play on a wing and lacks the strength to play midfield or defence.

i wasn't suggesting you should but saying that is what i would do. working your arse off is one thing but i find his kicking ineffective. he is an accurate kick but it has no penetration. when he tries for a more attacking kick he turns it over or sets up a teammate to get smashed. he is too slow to play on a wing and lacks the strength to play midfield or defence.

Lacks the strength to play defence is something I thought at about round 8 but he well and truly converted me the longer the season went on.

I think we can all agree that is 22 that most people here would agree with, or at least would be in a very similar area to what most of us would agree with so I wonder if we could test out the teams depth.

Nick Smith
Heath Grundy
Dane Rampe
Jake Lloyd
Aliir Aliir
Callum Mills
Zak Jones
Luke Parker
Isaac Heeney
Kieren Jack
Lance Franklin
Gary Rohan
Tom Papley
Kurt Tippett
Sam Reid
Sam Naismith
Josh Kennedy
Dan Hannebery
George Hewett
Nic Newman
Dean Towers
Jarrad McVeigh

So copy and paste the above list into this website

https://www.random.org/lists/

Randomise the list, and assume that players 1 to 6 are suddenly injured. What would the best 22 be then?

For me we are a bit screwed as it would mean the footballing gods would hate our forward line

George Hewett
Nic Newman
Josh Kennedy
Kurt Tippett
Sam Reid
Lance Franklin

HF: Kieren Jack - XXXX - Gary Rohan
F: Tom Papley - XXXX - XXXX
R: Sam Naismith - XXXX - Dan Hannebery
I/C: XXXX - XXXX - Dean Towers - Jarrad McVeigh

I would go to with

HB: Jake Lloyd - Aliir Aliir - Jarrad McVeigh
HF: Kieren Jack - Gary Rohan - Jordon Dawson
F: Tom Papley - Callum Sinclair - Will Hayward
R: Sam Naismith - Callum Mills - Dan Hannebery
I/C: Harrison Marsh - Jeremy Laidler - Dean Towers - Harry Cunningham

I think we can all agree that is 22 that most people here would agree with, or at least would be in a very similar area to what most of us would agree with so I wonder if we could test out the teams depth.

Nick Smith
Heath Grundy
Dane Rampe
Jake Lloyd
Aliir Aliir
Callum Mills
Zak Jones
Luke Parker
Isaac Heeney
Kieren Jack
Lance Franklin
Gary Rohan
Tom Papley
Kurt Tippett
Sam Reid
Sam Naismith
Josh Kennedy
Dan Hannebery
George Hewett
Nic Newman
Dean Towers
Jarrad McVeigh

So copy and paste the above list into this website

https://www.random.org/lists/

Randomise the list, and assume that players 1 to 6 are suddenly injured. What would the best 22 be then?

For me we are a bit screwed as it would mean the footballing gods would hate our forward line

George Hewett
Nic Newman
Josh Kennedy
Kurt Tippett
Sam Reid
Lance Franklin

HF: Kieren Jack - XXXX - Gary Rohan
F: Tom Papley - XXXX - XXXX
R: Sam Naismith - XXXX - Dan Hannebery
I/C: XXXX - XXXX - Dean Towers - Jarrad McVeigh

I would go to with

HB: Jake Lloyd - Aliir Aliir - Jarrad McVeigh
HF: Kieren Jack - Gary Rohan - Jordon Dawson
F: Tom Papley - Callum Sinclair - Will Hayward
R: Sam Naismith - Callum Mills - Dan Hannebery
I/C: Harrison Marsh - Jeremy Laidler - Dean Towers - Harry Cunningham

Injured:
  1. Jarrad McVeigh
  2. Sam Naismith
  3. Nic Newman
  4. Dane Rampe
  5. Luke Parker
  6. Zak Jones
B: Nick Smith - Heath Grundy - xxx
C: xxx - xxx - Isaac Heeney
R: xxx - Josh Kennedy - Dan Hannebery
I/C: George Hewett - xxx - Dean Towers - xxx

IN:
Laidler
for Rampe
Foote for Jones
Robinson for McVeigh
Cameron for Naismith
Marsh for Newman
Hayward for Parker

B: Nick Smith - Heath Grundy - Jeremy Laidler
C: George Hewett - Kieren Jack - Isaac Heeney
HF: Will Hayward - Sam Reid - Gary Rohan
F: Tom Papley - Lance Franklin - Darcy Cameron
R: Kurt Tippett - Josh Kennedy - Dan Hannebery
I/C: Daniel Robinson - Harrison Marsh - Dean Towers - Jordan Foote

Thought I'd put up a mock NEAFL side. This is without any topups or Academy players. Obviously there will be some, whether it be due to injury or rotating these players through the seniors. But still, some absolute quality in there.

Assumed First team:

FB: Rampe, Grundy, Smith
HB: McVeigh, Aliir, Newman
C: Jones, Parker, Heeney
HF: Jack, Franklin, Rohan
FF: Papley, Tippett, Reid
Foll: Naismith, Kennedy, Hannebery

Int: Mills, Lloyd, Towers, Hewett

Swans Reserves Team.
FB: Talia, Maibaum, Laidler
HB: O'Riordan, Melican, Leonardis
C: Fox, Ronke, Florent
HF: Murray, Dawson, Pink
FF: Hayward, Sinclair, Rose
Foll: Cameron, Robinson, Foote

Int: Marsh, Cunningham, Edwards, BJack

Thought I'd put up a mock NEAFL side. This is without any topups or Academy players. Obviously there will be some, whether it be due to injury or rotating these players through the seniors. But still, some absolute quality in there.

Assumed First team:

FB: Rampe, Grundy, Smith
HB: McVeigh, Aliir, Newman
C: Jones, Parker, Heeney
HF: Jack, Franklin, Rohan
FF: Papley, Tippett, Reid
Foll: Naismith, Kennedy, Hannebery

Int: Mills, Lloyd, Towers, Hewett

Swans Reserves Team.
FB: Talia, Maibaum, Laidler
HB: O'Riordan, Melican, Leonardis
C: Fox, Ronke, Florent
HF: Murray, Dawson, Pink
FF: Hayward, Sinclair, Rose
Foll: Cameron, Robinson, Foote

Int: Marsh, Cunningham, Edwards, BJack

I'm fairly confident that the three bolded will be starting 18 players in our reserves team.

I'm fairly confident that the three bolded will be starting 18 players in our reserves team.
Listed positions don't really matter too much these days with the number of rotations. I'm not undervaluing them by putting them there.
Plus once AJ is back he'll have to take a spot.

Will be interesting to see how McV goes with the young guys coming through.
I don't think Hewett adds enough at HF to hold down a spot, not fast enough to lock down, doesn't get it enough to do much else. Is he good enough to contribute in the midfield? I hope so - he's a good tackler and looks strong.

My team:

Smith - Grundy - Rampe
HB: Jones - Aliir - Lylod
C: Hannebery - Kennedy -Ronke
HF: Jack - Reid - Heeney
INT: Sinclair - Foote - McVeigh -Towers/Hayward

Foote and Ronke to add quickness/toughness will give us the best team imo, with Hewett to get a fair few games if he can play through the mids as a contested ball player whenever we need injury cover.
Everyone hating on Sinclair on these threads but when he was fit he took marks out of defence around the 50 that we need and can kick goals too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back