Best 22 in ‘22

Remove this Banner Ad

We're so blessed with M/F's we brought Matho in for a few games this year.

We've had a reasonably good run with M/F's as far as injury goes so my strategy would be to get as many good players on the list as you can of that ilk.

You can go from looking to have all bases covered to looking for answers overnight.

Fwiiw Zorko needs to stay predominantly M/F for as long as he can get out there because he's still our best player overall and the one who sparks us.

My view of our forward and mid set up for next season.

Cameron and McCarthy are locks as our small forwards.

Neale, Lyons and McCluggage locks in the midfield.

That leaves 6 positions available.

Zorko (mid and forward), Rayner (mid and forward), Bailey (mid and forward), Cockatoo (forward and mid), Berry (mid and wing).

And either Prior or Sharp for a wing role.

Personally I’d like to see Prior inherent Birchall’s spot in defence.

That leaves Ah Che and Dev as depth for the season.

Starc Andrews Gardiner
Rich Adams Coleman

Big O Lyons Neale
Berry Zorko Mccluggage

Bailey Daniher McCarthy
Rayner Mcstay Cameron

Cockatoo Ah Chee Dev (tall utility or backup ruck)

EMG: Prior, Matho, Lester

Think we need to trade in another tall in the off season to replace hippy. Fullarton is not at the level yet.

Starc Andrews Gardiner
Rich Adams Coleman

Big O Lyons Neale
Berry Zorko Mccluggage

Bailey Daniher McCarthy
Rayner Mcstay Cameron

Cockatoo Ah Chee Dev (tall utility or backup ruck)

EMG: Prior, Matho, Lester

Think we need to trade in another tall in the off season to replace hippy. Fullarton is not at the level yet.
There’s this bloke Adelaide just delisted…🤔

I think we have move Zorko out of the midfield. Move him to half forward and settle on him being a role player. He's lost his dash and fitness and we're now too slow with him Neale and Lyons in there.

Desperately need Bailey as a full time mid.

Robbo too. Absolutely hopeless. Too inconsistent for someone so old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have move Zorko out of the midfield. Move him to half forward and settle on him being a role player. He's lost his dash and fitness and we're now too slow with him Neale and Lyons in there.

I think Zorks has been pretty damn good this year, he was instrumental in our late resurgence and was one of our best players all year. Midfield is just too one dimensional with him and Lyons there as the duo to complement Neale. He can still be an elite pressure player up forward and it's already been said that it was expected he would be spending more time up forward this year but Rayner's injury threw a spanner in that. Perfect pressure forward that can still run through the midfield.

Cant argue with any of that. Both have been great stalwarts of the club, but we must be moving past them next year particularly Robbo. If Robbo plays most games next year as the likes of Birch has this year that our list is in more trouble than I thought.

Hopefully the answer to a more dynamic powerful midfield is already at the club. Next year could see Rayner and Cockatoo as part of the midfield rotation. It will probably take time for them both to regain their full mobility and power, but come finals time next year and for a few years to come, they could become central to our midfield plans.

Imagine a starting midfield of Neale, Rayner and Bailey followed up by Lyons, Cocky and Clugga with Zorks and possibly Dev able to rotate through as well.

I think Berry needs to set himself for Robbo's role. While he was good the last couple of rounds fighting it out in the middle, I just don't think he has the vision and composure required for that high possession role. As a defensive winger he can use his best assets (running power and physicality) to our advantage. It might help us cover quicker teams if he plays behind the ball or is in a position to push back in support more often.

Birchall has to retire, there is no doubt in my mind about that.

I think Fullerton's best chance to become an AFL regular is as a first ruck in the mould of Steph Martin. I think he shares some remarkable likenesses to him.

I have been impressed with Coleman in the back line and feel he might go past Ah Chee as a utility type next year. Definitely think Ah Chee offers more as a forward/ winger than he does as a defender. I have Ah Chee just outside the 22 but probably next picked depending on position.

The biggest dilemma for mine is what to do about Hipwoods position until his return. Do we play Oscar forward more often, which would mean we bring in another mature ruck? Do we persist with a developing ruck as the third tall forward or do we target another key forward like Lynch from the Crom? The difficulty there is McStay has been playing a very similar role (link up key forward) and doing a great job. I have gone with us targeting another ruck in the trade period. If/ when Hipwood returns and everyone else is fit, we would go with the one ruck and if it isn't OMac that's not the end of the world. No disrespect to Oscar, but he wouldn't be in the top dozen or so rucks in the league and if someone went past him at our club, that would be ok.

I have also thrown Answerth on the bench to add to the defensive mix. If he can get his body sorted he might be just what we need as a more speedy defensive minded backman. Will give us another option if we are presented with a team like Melbourne with speed to burn.

Gardiner Andrews Starce
Coleman Adams Rich
Berry Neale Clugga
Zorko McStay McCarthy
Cocky Daniher Cameron

Oscar Rayner Bailey

*Briggs* Answerth Lyons Dev

I think Berry needs to set himself for Robbo's role. While he was good the last couple of rounds fighting it out in the middle, I just don't think he has the vision and composure required for that high possession role. As a defensive winger he can use his best assets (running power and physicality) to our advantage. It might help us cover quicker teams if he plays behind the ball or is in a position to push back in support more often.
I agree with just about everything else from your original post but just on this. I think we should go the opposite way and replace Robbo's role with someone that has good ball use, composure and decision marking. Have been impressed with Prior's ability to work hard into the backlines defensively but also has the skills in attack, could be an option, likewise Sharp and Ah Chee.

Probably a couple of years early in 2022 but Harry Sharp would be an ideal wing replacement for Mitch, hope he's been in the gym while out with his ankle injury.

I agree with just about everything else from your original post but just on this. I think we should go the opposite way and replace Robbo's role with someone that has good ball use, composure and decision marking. Have been impressed with Prior's ability to work hard into the backlines defensively but also has the skills in attack, could be an option, likewise Sharp and Ah Chee.
Probably a couple of years early in 2022 but Harry Sharp would be an ideal wing replacement for Mitch, hope he's been in the gym while out with his ankle injury.
Yep both could very well take that role, I just think that may well be Berry's best chance to remain in the 22 going forward. He is close to the best runner in the club (excluding Sharpe), has a harder edge and a mature body. More ready to go in '22 I think. Clugga continues to spend more time in the middle each year so there may come a point in time when both starting wing spots are up for grabs anyway.

I'm so conflicted on our best side for 2022, we have been shown up enough over the last 3 seasons to come to the conclusion that we struggle on transition against quality sides so we need to fiddle with the mix of our side IMO.

Darcy Gardiner, Jack Payne, Daniel Rich.
Marcus Adams, Harris Andrews, Keidean Coleman.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons.
Hugh McCluggage, Zac Bailey, Dayne Zorko.

Charlie Cameron, Dan McStay, Lincoln McCarthy.
Cameron Rayner, Joe Daniher, Nakia Cockatoo.

Brandon Starcevich, Callum Ah Chee, Dev Robertson, Jarrod Berry.

Need Gardiner, Cockatoo and Berry to have a full uninterrupted pre seasons or we go with other options eg. Jaxon Prior, Noah Answerth, James Madden, Tom Joyce, Tom Berry, I really like what Madden has shown and brings to our side but I can't see anyone in that 22 to take out for him. With another pre season the big O should be able to handle the vast majority of the ruck work with various players giving him short rests.

Our goal this off season > Become the fittest side in the competition, Harry Sharp to set the pace.

I'm so conflicted on our best side for 2022, we have been shown up enough over the last 3 seasons to come to the conclusion that we struggle on transition against quality sides so we need to fiddle with the mix of our side IMO.

Darcy Gardiner, Jack Payne, Daniel Rich.
Marcus Adams, Harris Andrews, Keidean Coleman.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons.
Hugh McCluggage, Zac Bailey, Dayne Zorko.

Charlie Cameron, Dan McStay, Lincoln McCarthy.
Cameron Rayner, Joe Daniher, Nakia Cockatoo.

Brandon Starcevich, Callum Ah Chee, Dev Robertson, Jarrod Berry.

Need Gardiner, Cockatoo and Berry to have a full uninterrupted pre seasons or we go with other options eg. Jaxon Prior, Noah Answerth, James Madden, Tom Joyce, Tom Berry, I really like what Madden has shown and brings to our side but I can't see anyone in that 22 to take out for him. With another pre season the big O should be able to handle the vast majority of the ruck work with various players giving him short rests.

Our goal this off season > Become the fittest side in the competition, Harry Sharp to set the pace.
Don't mind it, personally would go with Prior instead of one of the 4 tall defenders for a little more run and ball use.

A little from what I saw in the last video to feature him.

Probably still a couple of years away from having a mans body.

Have a close look at Butters next time Port play. He’s still pretty slight, but still puts his body on the line and head over the ball.

A little from what I saw in the last video to feature him.

Probably still a couple of years away from having a mans body.

Have a close look at Butters next time Port play. He’s still pretty slight, but still puts his body on the line and head over the ball.
From the little I have seen of Harry he doesn't mind putting his body on the line either.

From the little I have seen of Harry he doesn't mind putting his body on the line either.
He does go when he needed to even if I agree he is still a bit small. But I'm not certain we ever want him to get that big. We need him to focus on that endurance. We've been burnt time and again by teams that run harder than us. Even last night Langdon and Brayshaw killed us on the spread. Langdon is a s**t kick but he killed us by running again and again into space. He wouldn't be the worst for Harry to look at some vision of and learn from

Remove this Banner Ad

Back