Best 22 in ‘22

TS13

Rookie
Aug 28, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is it even likely we will see Hipwood back next season at all? I think Rayner on the Roar Deal said Hipwood did a lot of damage to the knee (both ACL and meniscus).

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Not just on 2022 but we have some great young talent that will serve us well for the rest of the decade.... will be 24 or under at the start of next season and have shown enough to suggest they will be at worst decent afl level players to A grade >

Eric Hipwood, Callum Ah Chee, Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage, Brandon Starcevich, Zac Bailey, Jack Payne, Cameron Rayner, Keidean Coleman, Jaxon Prior, Dev Robertson. Harris Andrews turns 25 in December.

Things still rosy for us looking forward, and not only next year.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think if we weren't pushing for a premiership I'd move Zorko on. Far too inconsistent and was poor in the finals.

Getting more from Rayner and Bailey in the middle and pushing Zorko to the fringes will be a big win for us but I can't see him playing more than one season

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Wouldn't be averse to giving Harris Andrews a good run in the front half next year, at least while Eric is out. Dizz, Marcus Adams and Jack Payne can cover the key defensive posts.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Full strength

Gardiner - Andrews -Adams
Rich - Answerth - Coleman
Robbo - Starcevich - McCluggage
Zorko - Hipwood - Bailey
Cameron- Daniher - McStay
Big O - Neale - Lyons

J.Berry - McCarthy - Rayner - Ah Chee
Love that side, Starcevich in the midfield + Rayner rotating through there would be a seriously transformative re our mid dynamic.

The only change I would make is Mitch Robbo out(sad but I think we move past him next season), Nakia Cockatoo in, as long as he has an uninterrupted pre season.

If Answerth doesn't make it back bring in Prior or Madden.

I also wouldn't be against sending Harris forward until Hippy comes back and Payne in down back..... worth a try IMO.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
I just see that speed potential. Couldn't be more daunting than getting his defensive position set up.
Definitely potential, playing in the backs can be a lot simpler to understand especially if the coaches give you a straightforward role which I'd imagine would be the case for Madden. He also has guys like Andrews, Rich and Gardiner to point him around when needed.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Surely Fages would think of the possibility of him moving to the midfield. It would just be whether he is ready and/or is he playing too well in defence to be moved to midfield. But l think, midfield is a much more valuable area than defence and we have other players that can go in the defensive area. The way he was taking the players on and busting through their tackles shows great strength and would love to see it in the midfield. Him and Rayner could be the big bodied mids we are looking for (with Cocky coming in for stints as well)

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
B M.Adams H.Andrews N.Answerth
HB B.Starcevich D.Gardiner D.Rich
C Z.Bailey J.Lyons H.Mcluaggage
HF C.Rayner J.Daniher N.Cockatoo
F L.McCarthy D.McStay C.Cameron
FOLL: O.Mclnerney J.Berry L.Neale
INTER: K.Coleman, D.Robertson, J.Prior, C.Ah’Chee

Answerth Adams Gardiner
Rich Andrews Coleman
McCluggage Starcevich Robinson
McInerney Neale Bailey
McCarthy McStay Zorko
Cameron Daniher Rayner

Int: Lyons, Ah Chee, Cockatoo, Berry

If Sharp has a big pre season and can become best 22, would love him to displace Robbo. Would love to run McCluggage as a full time on-baller and have Sharp and Berry as our wingmen.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Sharp has a big pre season and can become best 22, would love him to displace Robbo. Would love to run McCluggage as a full time on-baller and have Sharp and Berry as our wingmen.
As much as I love what Mitch has brought to the team I do think we need a new winger soon. Both Melbourne and the Dogs have hurt us the last few weeks with the work rate of their wings. Mitch doesn't really have the speed or tank to match them

As much as I love what Mitch has brought to the team I do think we need a new winger soon. Both Melbourne and the Dogs have hurt us the last few weeks with the work rate of their wings. Mitch doesn't really have the speed or tank to match them

Would love Harry to add a few kgs in the off+pre season. Desperately need another player on the outside with his work rate.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Would love Harry to add a few kgs in the off+pre season. Desperately need another player on the outside with his work rate.
Hopefully he doesn’t add too many though, Lachie Whitfield still looks too light for AFL but is elite, if Sharp could turn into anything Whitfield would be a good player to base his game off.

Hopefully he doesn’t add too many though, Lachie Whitfield still looks too light for AFL but is elite, if Sharp could turn into anything Whitfield would be a good player to base his game off.

He doesn't need to bulk up heavily, and certainly not to the point where he compromises his running ability, he was just getting pushed off the ball a bit too easily against the bigger bodies in AFL. Some extra size and core strength will help there plus vastly improve his tackling.

Back