Best 22 in ‘22

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Mitch Robbo could miss out as well, I really like how Jaxon Prior developed this season, if he continues to improve I can see him coming in. That Fox side also has 8 defenders, personally I think Froggy could miss out.

A full off season and a good run at it early and I don't think Jarrod Berry would be any chance of being left out.

Bez ain't missing the team. The coaches rushed him back at senior level so he'd be ready despite the hiccups that came with such a plan. He's shown his best is A level, whether he can do that week in week out the question.

Surly Boy

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2011
Brisneyland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only about 5/6 months to go but below is foxsports Lions best 22 and comments
The bolded are players i think could miss out if we have no injuries

BRISBANE LIONS

B:
Marcus Adams, Darcy Gardiner, Brandon Starcevich

HB: Ryan Lester, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich

C: Hugh McCluggage, Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson

HF: Cam Rayner, Dan McStay, Zac Bailey

F: Lincoln McCarthy, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron

FOLL: Oscar McInerney, Jarryd Lyons, Lachie Neale

I/C: Jarrod Berry, Deven Robertson, Keidean Coleman, Noah Answerth

In: Darcy Fort

Out: Grant Birchall, Archie Smith,

WE SAY: The Lions enter the 2022 season with a very similar side to the one that went down the Western Bulldogs by one point in the semi final. They’ll be boosted by the return of Cam Rayner, who’s slated for more midfield time,from an ACL injury, while Eric Hipwood is expected to miss most of the season with the same injury. Noah Answerth will also return from a groin injury that plagued him last year, with Grant Birchall’s retirement opening up a spot in the backline. Answerth got the last bench spot over the likes of Rhys Mathieson and Callum Ah Chee to provide that defensive support. The Lions brought in Darcy Fort from Geelong in the offseason and he could easily be in the 22, but we’d have Dan McStay and Joe Daniher backing up Oscar McInerney in the ruck for now, while Tom Fullarton will also be competing for the same spot.

And the counterpoint - Mike Whiting's crack at our best 22 on the afl app.

brisbane.jpg

A relatively settled team but the Lions should start 2022 with a few new faces. Cam Rayner will be back from his ruptured ACL and ready to take up the midfield role he was destined for last season, while Noah Answerth is also expected to return from a groin injury and resume his role as a lockdown small defender. There's a squeeze for spots around half-forward, with Rayner's return and the push of Zac Bailey and Deven Robertson for more midfield minutes to possibly shift skipper Dayne Zorko forward of the ball. Coach Chris Fagan loves playing three tall forwards, and with Eric Hipwood (knee) missing until mid-year, Geelong recruit Darcy Fort will battle youngster Tom Fullarton for the role as support ruck to Oscar McInerney. – Michael Whiting

B: Darcy Gardiner, Harris Andrews, Noah Answerth
HB: Daniel Rich, Marcus Adams, Brandon Starcevich
C: Mitch Robinson, Jarryd Lyons, Hugh McCluggage
HF: Lincoln McCarthy, Dan McStay, Dayne Zorko
F: Charlie Cameron, Joe Daniher, Darcy Fort
Foll: Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Cam Rayner
I/C: Keidean Coleman, Jarrod Berry, Deven Robertson, Zac Bailey

Emerg: Jack Payne, Rhys Mathieson, Callum Ah Chee, Nakia Cockatoo

Bez ain't missing the team. The coaches rushed him back at senior level so he'd be ready despite the hiccups that came with such a plan. He's shown his best is A level, whether he can do that week in week out the question.
Unlike others on here, I have full confidence in Bez, if he can have an extended run without injury and consistency of games for the full year ahead, he will be massive for us come finals next year.
Unlike Patrick Cripps, his interrupted start to his career may be a blessing in disguise, he has always been used sparingly in the midfield and I believe that is where he is at his best.
Cripps was over used and relied on far too much in there and appears to have burnt out early in his career.
So maybe with Berry being injured often early, will help him sustain longer term effectiveness as he gets older.
He is a beast when he is at his best.
Let’s hope for a great pre-season and injury free year ahead.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only about 5/6 months to go but below is foxsports Lions best 22 and comments
The bolded are players i think could miss out if we have no injuries

BRISBANE LIONS

B:
Marcus Adams, Darcy Gardiner, Brandon Starcevich

HB: Ryan Lester, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich

C: Hugh McCluggage, Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson

HF: Cam Rayner, Dan McStay, Zac Bailey

F: Lincoln McCarthy, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron

FOLL: Oscar McInerney, Jarryd Lyons, Lachie Neale

I/C: Jarrod Berry, Deven Robertson, Keidean Coleman, Noah Answerth

In: Darcy Fort

Out: Grant Birchall, Archie Smith,

WE SAY: The Lions enter the 2022 season with a very similar side to the one that went down the Western Bulldogs by one point in the semi final. They’ll be boosted by the return of Cam Rayner, who’s slated for more midfield time,from an ACL injury, while Eric Hipwood is expected to miss most of the season with the same injury. Noah Answerth will also return from a groin injury that plagued him last year, with Grant Birchall’s retirement opening up a spot in the backline. Answerth got the last bench spot over the likes of Rhys Mathieson and Callum Ah Chee to provide that defensive support. The Lions brought in Darcy Fort from Geelong in the offseason and he could easily be in the 22, but we’d have Dan McStay and Joe Daniher backing up Oscar McInerney in the ruck for now, while Tom Fullarton will also be competing for the same spot.

Hmmm, I'd have Coleman & Answerth in the backline. Love froggy but, if we're injury free & full strength I don't see a spot for him in the 22.

Answerth is a solid lock down defender, I think a few on here have forgotten how good he was. Will free up Starce to play a bit more in the guts.

For the last spot in the 22, might depend on who we are playing. Could make a case for Fort / Ah Chee / Prior / Sharp / Madden.

A good problem to have.

Lucky we have the T20 World Cup & Ashes this year in the cricket. Will keep me occupied sufficiently not to go stir crazy.

brisbane.jpg

A relatively settled team but the Lions should start 2022 with a few new faces. Cam Rayner will be back from his ruptured ACL and ready to take up the midfield role he was destined for last season, while Noah Answerth is also expected to return from a groin injury and resume his role as a lockdown small defender. There's a squeeze for spots around half-forward, with Rayner's return and the push of Zac Bailey and Deven Robertson for more midfield minutes to possibly shift skipper Dayne Zorko forward of the ball. Coach Chris Fagan loves playing three tall forwards, and with Eric Hipwood (knee) missing until mid-year, Geelong recruit Darcy Fort will battle youngster Tom Fullarton for the role as support ruck to Oscar McInerney. – Michael Whiting

Mike Whiting knows our team well.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

brisbane.jpg

Yep, like this one a bit more.

Forgot all about Cockatoo in my last post too. If he stays uninjured & puts a solid pre-season in, who knows how good he can be.

Yep, like this one a bit more.

Forgot all about Cockatoo in my last post too. If he stays uninjured & puts a solid pre-season in, who knows how good he can be.
Good list of emergencies really.
Throw in the likes of Lester, Madden, Prior and it’s starting to look like a deep list.
And of course Hippy to come back in as well.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
FB. Starcevich, Andrews, Gardiner
HB. Rich, Adams, Coleman
C. McCluggage, Neale, Ah Chee
HF. Zorko, Hipwood, Rayner
FF. Cameron, Daniher, McStay
R. McInerney, Lyons, Bailey
Int. Prior, McCarthy, Berry, Robinson
Sub. Cockatoo

This is the 22 I've landed on and have felt pretty good about for a little while.
50/50 between Cockatoo and Robinson for the sub role.
50/50 between Prior and Answerth for the bench defender role, personally would go Prior but the way everyone from the club talks about Answerth makes me think he won't be left out if fully fit.
Robertson, Sharp, Payne, T. Berry and Madden to all be genuinely pushing for spots.
This is obviously a fully fit team by season's end.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

brisbane.jpg

I like Whiting's team a little better
We do have some options and i would change a few around from that 26
Also missing out from the above 26 are Lester (17 games last year) Prior (16 games) Fullarton (12 games) Madden (9 games)
Until Answerth actually plays another game of AFL in the seniors he stays off my best 22 list.
However i do hope Noah has an uninterrupted preseason and is ready to go in 2022.
More options the better

Unlike others on here, I have full confidence in Bez, if he can have an extended run without injury and consistency of games for the full year ahead, he will be massive for us come finals next year.
Unlike Patrick Cripps, his interrupted start to his career may be a blessing in disguise, he has always been used sparingly in the midfield and I believe that is where he is at his best.
Cripps was over used and relied on far too much in there and appears to have burnt out early in his career.
So maybe with Berry being injured often early, will help him sustain longer term effectiveness as he gets older.
He is a beast when he is at his best.
Let’s hope for a great pre-season and injury free year ahead.

They're pretty different players but if we do intend to use Bez as a ball winning mid we certainly haven't thrust the same sort of phsycial pressure that Cripps copped.

Why do I hear Alice Cooper's 'Poison' when thinking of Patrick Cripps?

brisbane.jpg

Pretty good 22 tbh. I know we rate Answerth highly and it would be beneficial to release Starce but would be surprised if he went straight to the 22. Same feeling with Cam on ball. I'm sure he'll get mid time but feel like he'll be eased into it. Ah Chee proved a valuable utility too and should be 22.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty good 22 tbh. I know we rate Answerth highly and it would be beneficial to release Starce but would be surprised if he went straight to the 22. Same feeling with Cam on ball. I'm sure he'll get mid time but feel like he'll be eased into it. Ah Chee proved a valuable utility too and should be 22.

Can't wait to see how it all pans out. Very exciting.

I'd be surprised if it goes as expected in terms of our best starting 22. There will be an unexpected bolter somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait to see how it all pans out. Very exciting.

I'd be surprised if it goes as expected in terms of our best starting 22. There will be an unexpected bolter somewhere.

I'm the same, man. 21 really was our best year all things considered but I'm giddy at how much improvement can come just from our best 22 for various reasons.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm the same, man. 21 really was our best year all things considered but I'm giddy at how much improvement can come just from our best 22 for various reasons.

There's a bit of talk about Rayner being like a new recruit next year. Watch out for Neale. On the whole, don't think he really got out of second gear in 2021 due to injury.

ManeMan

Senior List
Aug 21, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Indianapolis Colts
I reckon our improvement will come from Bailey and Berry improving, Neale and Harris back to their best and extended run in the seniors from some of our defenders (Adams, Coleman, Answerth).

Fort should be an upgrade on Fullarton at this stage too, both as a forward and as a ruck (which will allow Oscar to have more of an impact around the ground, kicking goals and dropping back to take marks etc.).

Ah Chee should be in the 22, I just can't see who I'm dropping for him. Great problem to have. Ah Chee, Lester, Cockatoo (when fit), Prior, Madden are strong depth. Not to mention anyone we draft this year.

I'm really hoping Dev Robertson is played every game next season if fit. I'm a huge fan. He hasn't been getting a heap of the ball yet, but he will. Needs to be played on the inside.

I reckon our improvement will come from Bailey and Berry improving, Neale and Harris back to their best and extended run in the seniors from some of our defenders (Adams, Coleman, Answerth).

Fort should be an upgrade on Fullarton at this stage too, both as a forward and as a ruck (which will allow Oscar to have more of an impact around the ground, kicking goals and dropping back to take marks etc.).

Ah Chee should be in the 22, I just can't see who I'm dropping for him. Great problem to have. Ah Chee, Lester, Cockatoo (when fit), Prior, Madden are strong depth. Not to mention anyone we draft this year.

I'm really hoping Dev Robertson is played every game next season if fit. I'm a huge fan. He hasn't been getting a heap of the ball yet, but he will. Needs to be played on the inside.
AhChee could be in if Answerth isn’t quite ready for Senior footy at the start of the year.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
AhChee could be in if Answerth isn’t quite ready for Senior footy at the start of the year.
What about Ah Chee permanently on the wing? He looked pretty good when he was moved there this year, he could be the perfect player to take over Robbo’s role. If he could start on a wing and push really hard into defence his intercept marking could be a big help, likewise pushing forward he’s shown he can kick a goal and take a nice grab forward as well.

jfn

Boot Studder
Sep 14, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B: Keidean Coleman, Harris Andrews, Noah Answerth or Darcy Gardiner
HB: Daniel Rich, Marcus Adams, Jarrod Berry
C: Zac Bailey, Cam Rayner, Hugh McCluggage
HF: Eric Hipwood, Dan McStay, Dayne Zorko
F: Charlie Cameron, Joe Daniher, Lincoln McCarthy
Foll: Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Jarryd Lyons
I/C: Deven Robertson, Darcy Fort, Brandon Starcevich, Mitch Robinson
Nakia Cockatoo (med. sub.)
Emerg: Jack Payne, Eli Smith, Callum Ah Chee, James Madden

A fully fit Brisbane list is incredibly strong. I'd consider a few position changes from this year. Coleman look good in the backline late in the year. Quick and broke the lines when needed. Had a bit of Chris Johnson about him. I think Answerth and Gardiner are competing for the other pocket as lockdown backs. Jarrod Berry could be solid HBF with the endurance to flood back, when the team is caught on the rebound. He is also big enough to take the oppositions 3rd tall.
Rayner in the middle. Trialed there in the practice games last year before doing his knee, and he was on fire.
Hipwood on a flank, to allow him to roam, and create a bit of chaos with his speed. (I'm aware this is only inn the second half of the year.)
Robertson to start on the bench, but to get regular games and thrown in the middle. He was a high possession gun as a junior and there is no reason he can't be an elite grunt mid. Fort to start on the bench as a back up for Oscar, and a rotation option for any of the three big forwards. Starcevich, like Robertson, to get regular on ball time, but also to be used off half back if needed. Mitch to be used for high impact in short burst, circuit breaking tagger, or as general nuisance for the opposition. Cockatoo a bit stiff to be medical sub, because as his fitness increases, he could be a match winner.
Emergencies cover the needs. Payne as the key position option, Smith as an onballer (he needs to get a run at some time this year), Ah Chee, as a general utility, and Madden for his speed.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
With Hippy not expected back till sometime after the bye round, i think they will still go with a 3 tall forward structure
My reasoning is one tall comes out for Hippy and the game plan does not change going into the latter part of the year

But will they go back to a two ruck structure
I usually prefer a one ruck structure as it gives the side more run with the 22 on the field
However a two ruck and 3 tall forward structure can work if your ruck relieves a tall forward while they have a break on the bench.
The balance of the time the rucks come off the bench. This way it does not slow down the on field 22

With one less mid on bench some younger mids will have to increase their TOG. This should be achievable as they have been in the system a few years now.

Also, to get decent TOG for your 2nd ruck the three forward talls need to reduce their TOG.
This should help them run out games a bit better and make opposition matchups a bit harder
2021 TOG for our three talls:- Joe 93.83%, McStay 81.42% & Hippy 83.94%

So my team has two rucks in Oscar & Darcy. Three talls in Daniher, McStay + whoever trials the best preseason
I will install Payne for now as he was named in the semi final v Dogs, but it could be (alphabetical order): Ballenden, J Berry, Lester, CEY, McFadyen.
Possibly Adams but i don't see him moving from defense

FB: Starcevich, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Rich, Adams, Coleman
C.: McCluggage, Bailey, Robbo
HF: Rayner, McStay, Daniher
FF: McCarthy, Cameron, Payne (or any 3rd tall)

R.: McInerney, Lyons, Neale

Int: Zorko (mid/fwd), Prior (wing/def) Ah Chee (def/fwd/wing) Fort (ruck/fwd)

Sub: Anyone

Others:-
Lester, J Berry, Cockatoo, all 3 could easily make the 22, Answerth, Dev Robertson, Fullarton, Madden, Sharp, Mathieson, Tom Berry, Ballenden, CEY + debut players

Changes from our 1 point loss to Dogs
Out J Berry - In Rayner
Out Cockatoo - In McStay,
Out D Robertson - In Prior
Out Birchall In - Ah Chee
Out Fullarton - In Fort

Last edited:

md20

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There's a bit of talk about Rayner being like a new recruit next year. Watch out for Neale. On the whole, don't think he really got out of second gear in 2021 due to injury.

As well as J. Berry if he has an injury free run at pre season + season

md20

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
he seems to have injuries every year for whatever reason. I don't think we can expect him to have an injury free pre-season/season. Just have to hope it happens but his development has definitly stagnated because of them all

Thats exactly what im doing. Hoping..

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
FB Gardiner Adam’s Rich
CHB Answerth Andrew’s Coleman

C. Lyons Starcevich McCluggage

HF. McCarthy McStay Zorko
FF Cameron Hipwood Daniher