Best 22 in ‘22

Fagan mentioned Answerth's lack of availability meant we didn't try Starce up the field. If all goes well, we might see Starce in the middle/wing next season. I've put Sharp on the other wing as I can't wait to see him take over that spot. Some new blood in that area for us dropping Robbo to depth.

FB: Answerth, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Rich, Adams, Coleman
C.: Starcevich, McCluggage, Sharp
HF: Rayner, McStay, Zorko
FF: Cameron, Daniher, Fort

R.: Oscar, Lyons, Neale

Int: McCarthy, Bailey, Ah Chee, J.Berry

Next in line: Robinson, Prior, Robertson, Cockatoo, Payne, Madden, Fullarton, T.Berry

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It'll be interesting to see if Starce will ever become a big enough possession getter to play through the midfield/wing. He's never had big ball winner dating back to Colts days (~14/game), and would need to bump his disposal tally up a decent amount to be a viable option through there.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
It'll be interesting to see if Starce will ever become a big enough possession getter to play through the midfield/wing. He's never had big ball winner dating back to Colts days (~14/game), and would need to bump his disposal tally up a decent amount to be a viable option through there.
I think we test him in a more rebounding/accumulating role across half-back before going straight into the middle, let him take Birchall's role from this year. We've seen a pretty good example with Callum Mills spending a long time in the backs before having a great season in the middle this year, no need to rush it especially as we're hoping for big season's from Berry and Rayner as our big bodied mids.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We must give Dev more time / responsibility next year.

Just one of those guys who looks like he needs to be playing week in and out against the best in the business to really excel.

I was surprised when I saw he’d played 16 games last season. Hopefully he takes another step forward next year

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was surprised when I saw he’d played 16 games last season. Hopefully he takes another step forward next year
Yes 16 games is a good effort from Dev in his 2nd year in a top 4 team
Another preseason should see him improve again

Prior racked up 16 games in his first year so that is a great effort EDIT: his 2nd year as pointed out by Dalions
He was dropped for the Dogs game but was showing affects of a long first AFL season.
Throw in the 2021 covid travel arrangements and it would have been a tough first year
Prior listed as 188cm & 79kg. Pretty sure he weighs more than 79kg now. Wonder if he has got taller ?

Although injuries did not help us going deeper into finals it gave the club a chance to get games into some young players
Prior 16 games in 2021, Fullarton 12, Payne 10, Madden 9, Cockatoo 6, Sharp 2 then injured and another 11 for Mathieson

Last edited:
Yes 16 games is a good effort from Dev in his 2nd year in a top 4 team
Another preseason should see him improve again

Prior racked up 16 games in his first year so that is a great effort
He was dropped for the Dogs game but was showing affects of a long first AFL season.
Throw in the 2021 covid travel arrangements and it would have been a tough first year
Prior listed as 188cm & 79kg. Pretty sure he weighs more than 79kg now. Wonder if he has got taller ?

Although injuries did not help us going deeper into finals it gave the club a chance to get games into some young players
Prior 16 games in 2021, Fullarton 12, Payne 10, Madden 9, Cockatoo 6, Sharp 2 then injured and another 11 for Mathieson
Pretty sure it was Priors second year as well as Dev?
Taken the same year.

We must give Dev more time / responsibility next year.

Just one of those guys who looks like he needs to be playing week in and out against the best in the business to really excel.

I suspect West Coast may come knocking if we couldn't diversify his skills beyond midfield.
Will be interesting to see what we do with Deven.

Cam looking chiselled in a photo on his insta stories. Could be a surprise next year with his improved fitness
F2896A99-F573-4CA1-8FBB-E858E21CA54A.jpeg

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cam was always a solid built lad. Just needed a few preseasons under his belt to get his body AFL ready
First photo before being drafted
The 2nd from 2019 where he trimmed down considerably
Then the above recent photo.
Only turned 22 a few days ago and goes into his fifth year in 2022
He should be primed for his best year.
Let's hope so

1634974086004.png

1634974410154.png

Fagenslions36

All Australian
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We need more X factor and power through our team . So I have added cockatoo to the mix hoping a huge pre season will have him ready to explode . Answorth to take starces role to explore other more attacking options .

Gardiner Andrews Answorth
Rich Adams. Starcevich
Clugga. Berry. Bailey
Rayner. Daniher Zorko
Cameron mcstay. Fort

Big O , Neale , Lyons

McCarthy , Cockatoo , Robertson , Coleman .

depth - Robinson , madden , Ah chee , Payne ,
( couple of first rounders this year , prior )

think with Rayner and a fit cockatoo it will give us a huge advantage against sides like Melbourne those 2 players albeit in short burts could match a Petracca and Oliver for Physicality. Bailey gets more midfield time to give us more speed and would like Clugga also to go more inside .
Feel our depth pretty good . Adding some talent this year in draft and Ashcroft along with Robertson should be ready made replacements to take over from neale and Lyons in few years .

jfn

Boot Studder
Sep 14, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We need more X factor and power through our team . So I have added cockatoo to the mix hoping a huge pre season will have him ready to explode . Answorth to take starces role to explore other more attacking options .

Gardiner Andrews Answorth
Rich Adams. Starcevich
Clugga. Berry. Bailey
Rayner. Daniher Zorko
Cameron mcstay. Fort

Big O , Neale , Lyons

McCarthy , Cockatoo , Robertson , Coleman .

depth - Robinson , madden , Ah chee , Payne ,
( couple of first rounders this year , prior )

think with Rayner and a fit cockatoo it will give us a huge advantage against sides like Melbourne those 2 players albeit in short burts could match a Petracca and Oliver for Physicality. Bailey gets more midfield time to give us more speed and would like Clugga also to go more inside .
Feel our depth pretty good . Adding some talent this year in draft and Ashcroft along with Robertson should be ready made replacements to take over from neale and Lyons in few years .

jfn

Boot Studder
Sep 14, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That close to my opinion of their best starting team for round 1 2022. Only a bit of tweaking.
I’d have Coleman in the back pocket for Ainsworth. Berry HBF, to get some confidence back in his game, instead of Starcevich who can now be used in a variety of roles both as a back or in the middle. Rayner to go in the middle, McCarthy HFF. Then Robinson coming onto the bench and Starcevich also on the bench with both getting onball roles, or lockdown roles as needed. I think Ainsworth will need a few weeks in the 2’s to play himself into the starting line up. Medical Sub could be any of Madden, Ah Chee, Payne, Mathieson, and I’d really like to see Eli Smith get a run at some stage.

Back