Best 22 in ‘22

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd have a lot more certainties(if fit/available) for 1st round selection than that >

Brandon Stacevich, Harris Andrews, .........
Darcy Gardiner, ............... Daniel Rich.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Hugh McCluggage.
Jarryd Lyons, Zac Bailey, Jarrod Berry.

Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Cam Rayner.
Lincoln McCarthy, Joe Daniher, ..........

Dayne Zorko, ........... ............ ...........

I would also have Keidean Coleman, Marcus Adams and Darcy Fort as very close to locks for round 1.

Chris Fagan was saying in yesterdays interview that the coaches have already sat down and thrown a few magnets around as to what our best 22 will look like next season, IMO they would have a very good idea who they would ideally want in their best side with all players available, only injury or exceptional intra club and pre season games form would change that view.
Agree with all bar one you have named.
Jarrrod Berry not a lock for me
Hope Jarrod gets through the preseason with no injury worries and plays well in the preseason games
Even then some of the younger brigade may impress enough to win a spot over him

Also for me Marcus Adams is a lock in defense
As everyone knows Marcus has had some injury concerns over many years
His 17 games in 2021 is the most he has played since his AFL career began in 2016. (11,10,6,10,1,17)
Hope he can go 20+ games in 2022

B: Answerth – Andrews - Gardiner

HB: Starcevich – Adams - Rich

C: Bailey – Berry - McCluggage

HF: Rayner - McStay - McCarthy

F: Cameron – Daniher - Zorko

R: McInerney – Neale - Lyons

I: Robertson, K.Coleman, Cockatoo, Fort

S: Ah Chee

Expecting Answerth to make it back into the 22 releasing Starce to a more attacking role or maybe the midfield. Fort straight in as the 2nd ruck/3rd tall, though Fullarton could consolidate that role with a strong pre-season. Backing Cockatoo to have a big pre-season and be ready for FWD/mid rotations. Rayner at HFF though expect him to run through the mids. Berry, Bailey and Clugg to all rotate between wing, fwd and mid. Ah Chee as the S due to his versatility, basically our first choice utility now though he really it's tough leaving him out of that 22. Robertson the young player I'm backing to get a chance and hold it.
Matho, Prior and Payne Es.
Robinson and Lester to spend more time in the Rs unless injury.

Hope Jarrod gets through the preseason with no injury worries and plays well in the preseason games

His 17 games in 2021 is the most he has played since his AFL career began in 2016. (11,10,6,10,1,17)

Agree on Adams. Lock for me. Hit a new level and being able to put that together for 20 games would be huge for us. He looks in pristine form from the pre-season footage but while he looks as strong and ripped he looks a lot leaner than we've generally seen. Wonder if he's adapting to a new regimen. Hope this puts him good stead to play extended games without injury.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Fullarton was ok but still has plenty of development to go, happier with Fort as the backup ruck in the here & now. I think our KPF reserves are a bit questionable in terms of their seniors potential just yet.
I agree, I just believe Fullarton has shown some ability and with an improved tank and size to go with his mobility and clean hands he could offer something a bit different in his 20% ruck time. Like I said at the start it's 50/50 for me, just a wait and see.
Be nice if he could mark above his head. And ruck. Mate, I have a track record of supporting Tom, but we are far more likely to win a flag with Darcy in the team.
Ideally neither are in the best 22 by the time we're in September.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I rest my case. The fact Fullarton could not ruck to save his life will also probably be considered by the selection committee.

But if Fullarton is in the team to replace Hipwood, is his ruck prowess particularly important?

I know he has struggled to snag a mark to date, but not sure we're cutting him enough slack. 2021 is going to be his third pre season. Still pretty green.

But if Fullarton is in the team to replace Hipwood, is his ruck prowess particularly important?

I know he has struggled to snag a mark to date, but not sure we're cutting him enough slack. 2021 is going to be his third pre season. Still pretty green.

I think so because it allows us to play Joe forward without rotating him into the ruck, will a balance of who offers us more in that R/F role but it's all up in the air atm. Looking forward to the intraclubs.

I get confused a bit here. I thought Joe wanted to play ruck, then I watch him in the ruck & he seems not to like contact.

Does he just want to play as a tall midfielder?

I guess so. He is really good in that role and his field kicking is absolutely exceptional but his ruck craft is virtually non existent. I'd rather us be able to get him up the ground and use those skills as a forward when there's no Hipwood. When all 3 keys are available I'd probably still rather McStay into the ruck tbh because I'd back him to compete more in the ruck contest. Without Hipwood one of Fullarton or Fort is gonna need to rotate there.

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Pre season match sims and especially the trial games will be important for a few fringe players. I have Adams and Gardner as round 1 locks, but think Payne (subject to trial form) is in the back '7' I also think Kiddy is there. Not sure about round 1, but believe Dev will become a lock at sometime during 2022. IMO Lions certainly have a few options now with reasonably good (5 or 6) fringe players.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pre season match sims and especially the trial games will be important for a few fringe players. I have Adams and Gardner as round 1 locks, but think Payne (subject to trial form) is in the back '7' I also think Kiddy is there. Not sure about round 1, but believe Dev will become a lock at sometime during 2022. IMO Lions certainly have a few options now with reasonably good (5 or 6) fringe players.
The preseason games will tell us a bit about where players sit in that best 22 side
I still think Payne will trial up forward as our KPF depth is a weakness until Hippy's return
Could be some others played in a different position as certain spots will be hard to break into
When they return from the Christmas break our training watchers may notice if players are training with a different group compared to normal

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
B: Answerth – Andrews - Gardiner

HB: Starcevich – Adams - Rich

C: Bailey – Berry - McCluggage

HF: Rayner - McStay - McCarthy

F: Cameron – Daniher - Zorko

R: McInerney – Neale - Lyons

I: Robertson, K.Coleman, Cockatoo, Fort

S: Ah Chee

Expecting Answerth to make it back into the 22 releasing Starce to a more attacking role or maybe the midfield. Fort straight in as the 2nd ruck/3rd tall, though Fullarton could consolidate that role with a strong pre-season. Backing Cockatoo to have a big pre-season and be ready for FWD/mid rotations. Rayner at HFF though expect him to run through the mids. Berry, Bailey and Clugg to all rotate between wing, fwd and mid. Ah Chee as the S due to his versatility, basically our first choice utility now though he really it's tough leaving him out of that 22. Robertson the young player I'm backing to get a chance and hold it.
Matho, Prior and Payne Es.
Robinson and Lester to spend more time in the Rs unless injury.
Think your 22 looks pretty good although Noah needs to have a good pre-season and show good form in the practice match's otherwise I see Ah Chee come in the 22 and Noah playing a few games in the 2's early on to get his form back.

Think your 22 looks pretty good although Noah needs to have a good pre-season and show good form in the practice match's otherwise I see Ah Chee come in the 22 and Noah playing a few games in the 2's early on to get his form back.

A lot of posters have Noah as an automatic selection. To me he has to earn it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m liking the look of our bottom few these days,plenty of growth there with Dev,Kiddy,Cockatoo,Prior and you could probably even include Rayner..a good sign when you don’t have to fill gaps with players who have hit their ceiling

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I'm not sure how he's started in PS but I'd think Darcy Wilmot is a big chance to play Round 1 with the loss of Birchall. I know he's super young but so was Sharp.

Without looking I'd say defenders taken in the top 16 picks play plenty of games early that aren't big key position defenders

There is just something about him and his speed could be pivotal for a slowing backline

Obviously competing with guys like Lester, Answerth, Ah Chee. He could also play other positions like the wing or half forward even though he hasn't played forward too much at juniors. His speed to pressure would be important but obviously some quality small forwards like Cameron, McCarthy, Zorko, Z.Bailey, Rayner to get past there he's more required across half back in his preferred position

How's he started PS? Any positive mentions

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not sure how he's started in PS but I'd think Darcy Wilmot is a big chance to play Round 1 with the loss of Birchall. I know he's super young but so was Sharp.

Without looking I'd say defenders taken in the top 16 picks play plenty of games early that aren't big key position defenders

There is just something about him and his speed could be pivotal for a slowing backline

Obviously competing with guys like Lester, Answerth, Ah Chee. He could also play other positions like the wing or half forward even though he hasn't played forward too much at juniors. His speed to pressure would be important but obviously some quality small forwards like Cameron, McCarthy, Zorko, Z.Bailey, Rayner to get past there he's more required across half back in his preferred position

Because of the border restrictions, Wilmot (and Lohmann) only went up to Brisbane on Tuesday last week, so have only had a few days of training.

Like you mentioned, Sharp showed last year that with an impressive pre-season, we're not afraid to give the younger player a go. I think the other running defender he'll be up against for a spot will be Coleman who finished the season very well there.

Our young irishman, Madden, gets first crack for mine. Like what he brings.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Because of the border restrictions, Wilmot (and Lohmann) only went up to Brisbane on Tuesday last week, so have only had a few days of training.

Like you mentioned, Sharp showed last year that with an impressive pre-season, we're not afraid to give the younger player a go. I think the other running defender he'll be up against for a spot will be Coleman who finished the season very well there.
I think Coleman gets first crack no matter what. I’d say he’s competing with Answerth, Madden, Prior and Ah Chee to be the fourth small defender after Rich, Starc and Coleman.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

Coleman was already in the team with Birchall. Our small defenders in the finals were Rich, Starcevich, Coleman and Birchall.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Coleman was already in the team with Birchall. Our small defenders in the finals were Rich, Starcevich, Coleman and Birchall.
I would not class Birchall as a small defender at 193cm and 89kg.
However he would have been classed as an attacking half back mainly because of his kicking ability
The club may move away from the Hodge/Birchall type spot. They provided the backline with leadership, finals experience, cool heads plus other attributes
Be interesting to see which way they go choosing his (spot) replacement

Locks for me would be Andrews, Adams, Gardiner, Rich & Starcevich.
Then i think Coleman as he played well late in the year including finals. Still needs to improve to safeguard his spot
The last spot is interesting.
They could go for experience and a bit of height with Lester. Or experience with a bit more mobility than Lester and choose Ah Chee
If they choose a bit more of a mobile player or lockdown type you have Madden & Ainsworth (avoid black cats please). Maybe Prior but think he plays wing
That is quite a good list of players to choose from

Then we have the untried at AFL level players in Carter & Wilmot
I think Payne may trial with the forwards this year but could fill in down back if needed

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I would not class Birchall as a small defender at 193cm and 89kg.
However he would have been classed as an attacking half back mainly because of his kicking ability
The club may move away from the Hodge/Birchall type spot. They provided the backline with leadership, finals experience, cool heads plus other attributes
Be interesting to see which way they go choosing his (spot) replacement

Locks for me would be Andrews, Adams, Gardiner, Rich & Starcevich.
Then i think Coleman as he played well late in the year including finals. Still needs to improve to safeguard his spot
The last spot is interesting.
They could go for experience and a bit of height with Lester. Or experience with a bit more mobility than Lester and choose Ah Chee
If they choose a bit more of a mobile player or lockdown type you have Madden & Ainsworth (avoid black cats please). Maybe Prior but think he plays wing
That is quite a good list of players to choose from

Then we have the untried at AFL level players in Carter & Wilmot
I think Payne may trial with the forwards this year but could fill in down back if needed
Birchall didn’t play as a tall defender. He played as a half back, typically what is referred to as a small defender role.

One of Prior, Madden, Answerth, Ah Chee or Wilmot will step in to Birchall’s vacated position.

Birchall didn’t play as a tall defender. He played as a half back, typically what is referred to as a small defender role.

One of Prior, Madden, Answerth, Ah Chee or Wilmot will step in to Birchall’s vacated position.
I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Fages sticks with Lester at the start of the year, he was the medical sub in the last final last year, has experience and good defensive capabilities and can use the ball ok, wouldn’t say that he provides much run but I think the job of the other taller defenders along with Lester would be to get the ball to the likes of Rich, Kiddy and Starce to create any run and ball use from the backline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back