Best 22 in ‘22

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Coleman gets first crack no matter what. I’d say he’s competing with Answerth, Madden, Prior and Ah Chee to be the fourth small defender after Rich, Starc and Coleman.

I agree that those guys mentioned are likely competing for 2 spots. Coleman had a very nice finish to the year when he got the chance down back so he would be best placed to get one of those spots but I don't think he is a lock and there will be a heap of competition I think coming into year. One thing is certain though is that I see our defensive unit being much more athletic and I think much better actually defensively.

That is especially the case if there is improved running from Neale and we have a few of our top runners back to full fitness (thinking Berry and Sharp mainly) to increase the pressure in the midfield.

I am still a proponent of playing Payne instead of one of Adams or Gardiner. I really would prefer Andrews to be freed up and having Payne in there I think it the best chance of that. Payne has held his own defensively and is usually a better kick than Gardiner or Adams. He had a couple of brain fades each game which he needs to get out of his game but both Adams and Gardiner have done exactly the same for longer periods and been persisted with. I like the upside of Payne and the better balance he brings to the side.

I think Coleman gets first crack no matter what. I’d say he’s competing with Answerth, Madden, Prior and Ah Chee to be the fourth small defender after Rich, Starc and Coleman.

Yep, Fages is usually pretty loyal in terms of persisting and giving opportunities. Coleman delivered over the last few games in 2021 after switching to defense and looked solid taking on the kick-in duties. Coleman will get first dibs on the small defender/rebounding half back role in 2022.

I'm a bit nervous about Answerth getting a chance right away though. I think he needs a longer stretch of games in 2s to ensure his body is ready for game day rigours. Answerth in defense and Starc becoming free for roles further up is enticing, but I hope for more consistency from Answerth before we go there.

I agree that those guys mentioned are likely competing for 2 spots. Coleman had a very nice finish to the year when he got the chance down back so he would be best placed to get one of those spots but I don't think he is a lock and there will be a heap of competition I think coming into year. One thing is certain though is that I see our defensive unit being much more athletic and I think much better actually defensively.

That is especially the case if there is improved running from Neale and we have a few of our top runners back to full fitness (thinking Berry and Sharp mainly) to increase the pressure in the midfield.

I am still a proponent of playing Payne instead of one of Adams or Gardiner. I really would prefer Andrews to be freed up and having Payne in there I think it the best chance of that. Payne has held his own defensively and is usually a better kick than Gardiner or Adams. He had a couple of brain fades each game which he needs to get out of his game but both Adams and Gardiner have done exactly the same for longer periods and been persisted with. I like the upside of Payne and the better balance he brings to the side.
I don’t know if the stats back it up or not but to the eye, I feel as though Andrews plays better when Adams and Gardiner are both in the team.
He seems to play as though he has more confidence in them as a pair and therefore is able to play his role better, I don’t feel that he has as much confidence in Payne, just my opinion of course.

Any way I look at it I cant see either of Adams or Gardner being replaced by Payne or anyone else should they be fit to play and have a good pre-season build up. Andrews has said publically that the back six with a fit Gardner in it is significantly better and Adams proved last year that he's an asset in anyones back six should he be 100% fit and has the coach's support more importantly.
I believe the pre-season build up will be huge in determining who that last player is that starts down back in Round 1. It's the same in other parts of the best 22 as well which makes it a real healthy and exciting start to 2022.

The last spot is interesting.
They could go for experience and a bit of height with Lester. Or experience with a bit more mobility than Lester and choose Ah Chee
If they choose a bit more of a mobile player or lockdown type you have Madden & Ainsworth (avoid black cats please). Maybe Prior but think he plays wing
That is quite a good list of players to choose from
If everyone's fit, I don't see the value in playing Ah Chee in defence. He has mobility for sure, but he's definitely not the best option when it comes to actually defending. I'd rather have Madden there, with Ah Chee being a depth option for half-forward and wing. Certainly Ah Chee could function as a Swiss army knife off the bench and slot in anywhere, but surely we have the bench spots for both a defender and a forward/mid.

While Prior has played wing for us in the seniors, he was a defender in the juniors and I'm sure he's a more natural fit there than Ah Chee is.

Payne has held his own defensively and is usually a better kick than Gardiner or Adams. He had a couple of brain fades each game which he needs to get out of his game but both Adams and Gardiner have done exactly the same for longer periods and been persisted with.
Have they? I don't think Adams' or Gardiner's decision making have been anywhere near as bad as Payne's. They do not routinely cost us goals through inexperience. Payne has all the tools to be a good starting defender, but until I see him consistently making good decisions in his kicking and man marking, I'd have Adams and Gardiner above him.

Have they? I don't think Adams' or Gardiner's decision making have been anywhere near as bad as Payne's. They do not routinely cost us goals through inexperience. Payne has all the tools to be a good starting defender, but until I see him consistently making good decisions in his kicking and man marking, I'd have Adams and Gardiner above him.

Gardiner had multiple brain fades every game for the first 3 or so years of his career. He has generally improved but if they were picking on form he would not have been picked after the first couple of games back from injury where he was very poor. This year Gardiner averaged 75.8% DE% and 2.3 clangers per game.

Adams improved toward the end of the year but for the first 8 or so games this year he could be relied on for a couple of woeful kicks per game that were at least as bad as anything Payne threw up. On the year Adams went at 69.6% DE% and 2.8 clangers per game.

Payne this year had a DE% of 76.5% and averaged only 1.5 clangers per game. So on the actual stats he is a better user of the ball and makes significantly less egregious mistakes than his two much more mature teammates. So bigger, more athletic, capable of handling the super talls and generally as good if not better user of the ball. He made a few bad mistakes which people jump on but factually speaking he is actually better in that department than the other two. I think if we take the time to get games into him it positions us better going forward and makes us no worse now.

Birchall didn’t play as a tall defender. He played as a half back, typically what is referred to as a small defender role.

One of Prior, Madden, Answerth, Ah Chee or Wilmot will step in to Birchall’s vacated position.
I did not say Birchall played a tall defenders role. However he is still tall at 193cm and that comes in handy in defense.
He was defiantly a halfback but in my opinion did not play in any way a typical small defenders role
Who steps into his spot and what role they play is the question i put forward
All the players you mentioned are a possibility to take his spot but not necessarily his role.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Fages sticks with Lester at the start of the year, he was the medical sub in the last final last year, has experience and good defensive capabilities and can use the ball ok, wouldn’t say that he provides much run but I think the job of the other taller defenders along with Lester would be to get the ball to the likes of Rich, Kiddy and Starce to create any run and ball use from the backline.
I would be disappointed if Lester is played in front of Answerth, Payne or even possibly Madden, and or Prior. IMO he is solid depth and like the Bulldogs semi could be a handy #23 for some games. Answerth showed plenty in 2020, and deserves another opportunity, my only slight concerns is that he plays a little similar to Starc as that tall medium lockdown defender. We might be looking for more run, which Coleman (Madden) and hopefully Starc can deliver, and Rich for the penetrating kicks.

Payne I don't think has had more than 5 or so consecutive games, of his 14 or 15, so apart from the odd brain fade with short meaningless passes to experienced players coming out of the defensive 50, I think his 1 v 1 is fairly good for an inexperienced player. I don't recall anyone kicking a bag on him (5 or more) and that includes King or McKay. Selectors need to give him some confidence and a good run at it, then we will know if we have a long term back or not. The club has resigned him, so if pre season and trial form warrants it, he should be given an opportunity. I just don't know where he squeezes into the backline, but cannot see why Payne and or Answerth can't play the Lester role (what ever that is).

Apparently Lester is a good clubman, but selecting Payne as a forward in the Bulldogs semi, surely is an indication that there are a few in front of 'Froggy'. For me Lester provides some on field support to our VFL backs in 2022, will be emergency on some occasions and comes into best 22 calculations if we have injuries.

I don’t know if the stats back it up or not but to the eye, I feel as though Andrews plays better when Adams and Gardiner are both in the team.
He seems to play as though he has more confidence in them as a pair and therefore is able to play his role better, I don’t feel that he has as much confidence in Payne, just my opinion of course.
certainly that was the case when Payne made his debut against Richmond and Andrews kept coming over to assist and left Lynch unmarked, but I have not seen too much evidence of a lack of confidence from Andrews in Payne in other games. Obviously Gardner and Andrews have played together for years and know each others game pretty well.

Perhaps some posters should look at the very early games of both Andrews and especially Gardner. I acknowledge they started playing when the Lions were struggling and the backs were under the pump but geez I recall some errors

Gardiner had multiple brain fades every game for the first 3 or so years of his career. He has generally improved but if they were picking on form he would not have been picked after the first couple of games back from injury where he was very poor. This year Gardiner averaged 75.8% DE% and 2.3 clangers per game.

Adams improved toward the end of the year but for the first 8 or so games this year he could be relied on for a couple of woeful kicks per game that were at least as bad as anything Payne threw up. On the year Adams went at 69.6% DE% and 2.8 clangers per game.

Payne this year had a DE% of 76.5% and averaged only 1.5 clangers per game. So on the actual stats he is a better user of the ball and makes significantly less egregious mistakes than his two much more mature teammates. So bigger, more athletic, capable of handling the super talls and generally as good if not better user of the ball. He made a few bad mistakes which people jump on but factually speaking he is actually better in that department than the other two. I think if we take the time to get games into him it positions us better going forward and makes us no worse now.
Some players are like sacred cows around here, you can’t speak ill of them, without copping some blow back.

I’ve often said Gardiner makes one or two stupid plays per game that results in the opposition receiving a free kick on goal in our defensive 50.

Something you don’t see from Andrews or Adams anywhere near as much.

Gardiner is a good defender, but he’s culpable for one or two costly brain fades per game.

I did not say Birchall played a tall defenders role. However he is still tall at 193cm and that comes in handy in defense.
He was defiantly a halfback but in my opinion did not play in any way a typical small defenders role
All the players you mentioned are a possibility to take his spot but not necessarily his role.
Ok, my point then on Birchall is he didn’t play up to his height. He wasn’t a notable intercept marker.

Just as his leg speed had left him, so to had his leap.

When forced to match up it was usually on the more unathletic small medium types. Defensively I think we have multiple players who will do better playing the same defensive role.

Where Birchall had value was in his positioning going forward. He was pretty smart getting to space and being available as an outlet option and combined well with (and took pressure off) Rich. His kicking declined in the last year or so and thus he was less impactful in that role but his ability to find space is something which we have not seen any of the potential replacements do yet.

Birchall had good offensive positioning. Where Rich cut things off and was a weapon going forward
We really will miss Rich in a few years. I hope he still goes around for another 3+ years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree...same with Dizz.
I think the club is well stocked for backs for 2022, and there will be plenty of competition for spots, but Quigley post regarding DE% and clangers for Adams, Gardner and Payne was interesting. I also believe Gardner concedes a few free kicks per game. After 10 to 15 games I believe Payne is showing more upside then Gardner after 15 games. That said Gardner has, and still deserves his spot. Adams on end of year form deserves his spot.

I think the club is well stocked for backs for 2022, and there will be plenty of competition for spots, but Quigley post regarding DE% and clangers for Adams, Gardner and Payne was interesting. I also believe Gardner concedes a few free kicks per game. After 10 to 15 games I believe Payne is showing more upside then Gardner after 15 games. That said Gardner has, and still deserves his spot. Adams on end of year form deserves his spot.
Payne is a promising player for sure.

I think the balance is right with Andrews ,Adams ,Gardiner ,Starcevich and some extra pace thrown in in 2022 . But someone will probably get injured. We started Payne as a forward in our last game so he'll get his chance at some stage.

Regarding Gardiner.
Had a big injury year playing only rounds 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 then round 22, 23 + 2 finals. Total only 9 games. As mentioned above he was poor in the last 4 games and looked way off the pace. Any stats from 2021 are not an indication of his value. If his shoulder is fine i think he holds his spot

Adams only played 1 game in 2020 and was a bit rusty earlier in the 2021 season but overall i thought he was great and is a lock to hold his spot.
Adams also played 17 games being the most he has ever played in a season. Hopefully he plays more in 2022
Comparing Payne to Adams in DE% and clangers is a little unfair as Adams played more games had had twice the number of possessions.
Adams 17 games 237 disposals
Payne 10 games 119 disposals
The big possession winners usually the midfield have the most average clangers per game. So more disposals you likely get more clangers
Rank (1) Zorko then Bailey, Robinson, McCluggage, McInerney, Neale, Lyons.

I have mentioned a few times that i think Payne will trial forward and may in fact get a start in the seniors but most likely in the VFL
Would be reasonably easy for him to fill in down back in the AFL if needed. Much harder to go the other way.
We have a good stock of backs but if a KPF goes down we only have rucks to fill the void

Regarding Gardiner.
Had a big injury year playing only rounds 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 then round 22, 23 + 2 finals. Total only 9 games. As mentioned above he was poor in the last 4 games and looked way off the pace. Any stats from 2021 are not an indication of his value. If his shoulder is fine i think he holds his spot

Adams only played 1 game in 2020 and was a bit rusty earlier in the 2021 season but overall i thought he was great and is a lock to hold his spot.
Adams also played 17 games being the most he has ever played in a season. Hopefully he plays more in 2022
Comparing Payne to Adams in DE% and clangers is a little unfair as Adams played more games had had twice the number of possessions.
Adams 17 games 237 disposals
Payne 10 games 119 disposals
The big possession winners usually the midfield have the most average clangers per game. So more disposals you likely get more clangers
Rank (1) Zorko then Bailey, Robinson, McCluggage, McInerney, Neale, Lyons.

I have mentioned a few times that i think Payne will trial forward and may in fact get a start in the seniors but most likely in the VFL
Would be reasonably easy for him to fill in down back in the AFL if needed. Much harder to go the other way.
We have a good stock of backs but if a KPF goes down we only have rucks to fill the void
Not really we don’t.

We have Payne as our only true KPD in the reserves, with Lester the next “tall”.

We have Fullerton as our only true KPF in the reserves, with Henry Smith as a ruck forward, and McFadyen who could play as an undersized third tall.

I don’t see the forward line as such an issue, as we could play a two ruck set up, with two KPP’s. Or go for a small forward line if we have significant injuries to our tall forwards.

Richmond won their first premiership with one key forward and two rucks. And I’d rate our small and medium forwards well ahead of theirs, with Cameron, McCarthy, Bailey, Ah Chee and Rayner (pre injury). Add in Cockatoo and Tom Berry and we’ve got some very good depth through our small forward line. Not to mention McFadyen, Blake Coleman, and draftee Kai Lohman.

Not really we don’t.

We have Payne as our only true KPD in the reserves, with Lester the next “tall”.

We have Fullerton as our only true KPF in the reserves, with Henry Smith as a ruck forward, and McFadyen who could play as an undersized third tall.

I don’t see the forward line as such an issue, as we could play a two ruck set up, with two KPP’s. Or go for a small forward line if we have significant injuries to our tall forwards.

Richmond won their first premiership with one key forward and two rucks. And I’d rate our small and medium forwards well ahead of theirs, with Cameron, McCarthy, Bailey, Ah Chee and Rayner (pre injury). Add in Cockatoo and Tom Berry and we’ve got some very good depth through our small forward line. Not to mention McFadyen, Blake Coleman, and draftee Kai Lohman.
Depending on who's up and running in the M/F could also throw Zorko into the mix.

Not really we don’t.

If either Daniher or McStay get injured before Hippy returns you are suggesting something along these lines

McStay up forward and Fullarton who is a fair way away from being a KPF + 4 smalls
Or McStay + one of Fort (8 career games)/ Smith/ McFadyen both have not yet played a game + 4 smalls
McStay + Fullarton + Fort + 3 smalls

Or take McStay out and substitute Daniher depending who is missing. Don't forget Hippy is not playing till possibly May

As i previously mentioned Payne can easily go back in defense when needed.
We really need to trial & play someone in the VFL as a spare KPF.
I see him as the logical choice seeing we played him KPF v Dogs until he was knocked out early in the match
In my opinion we are defiantly short on KPF until Hippy returns in May or it could even be later

Regarding Richmond i don't think comparing there team at that stage to ours in 2022 has much bearing on us surviving with one KPF
Maybe if you post a forward line with no Hippy and only one of Daniher or McStay so i get a clearer picture. Throw in a bench also

If either Daniher or McStay get injured before Hippy returns you are suggesting something along these lines

McStay up forward and Fullarton who is a fair way away from being a KPF + 4 smalls
Or McStay + one of Fort (8 career games)/ Smith/ McFadyen both have not yet played a game + 4 smalls
McStay + Fullarton + Fort + 3 smalls

Or take McStay out and substitute Daniher depending who is missing. Don't forget Hippy is not playing till possibly May

As i previously mentioned Payne can easily go back in defense when needed.
We really need to trial & play someone in the VFL as a spare KPF.
I see him as the logical choice seeing we played him KPF v Dogs until he was knocked out early in the match
In my opinion we are defiantly short on KPF until Hippy returns in May or it could even be later

Regarding Richmond i don't think comparing there team at that stage to ours in 2022 has much bearing on us surviving with one KPF
Maybe if you post a forward line with no Hippy and only one of Daniher or McStay so i get a clearer picture. Throw in a bench also
I’d probably roll with Fort in the ruck, Big O playing ruck forward, and one key forward (who ever that is), with say a rotation of Cameron, McCarthy, Ah Chee, Rayner and Cockatoo.

Bailey and Zorko could also rotate forward from the midfield group, and Rayner and Cockatoo could rotate through the midfield.

I’d probably roll with Fort in the ruck, Big O playing ruck forward, and one key forward (who ever that is), with say a rotation of Cameron, McCarthy, Ah Chee, Rayner and Cockatoo.

Bailey and Zorko could also rotate forward from the midfield group, and Rayner and Cockatoo could rotate through the midfield.
I don't think they will play Big O forward with Fort in the ruck. Possibly the other way around if we go down that path
If Big O continues his improvement i can see being top 5 ruck this year. In 2021 his position was around the 7 to 9 mark
So from your players mentioned

Ah Chee - Daniher - Rayner
McCarthy - Big O - Cameron

Bench: Cockatoo. With the usual mids having a stint up forward, and Fort the main Ruck

On paper the names look okay
However i have a few issues with this set up
15/20% of the time one ruck will find himself on the bench. That leaves Daniher (or McStay) on their own + 4 smalls.
I think opposition coaches will like that considering how we usually enter our forward 50. Can see Daniher (or McStay) having to deal with 2 defenders
Also the 2nd tall is a ruck. They train as a ruck and either play as the number 1 ruck at VFL level or forward/bench/ ruck in the AFL
In my opinion their is a big difference in someone playing to a KPF role compared to a ruck/forward sitting forward for long periods of the game
Looking at my forward & bench best 22 team (page 10) we are not far apart name wise but structurally their is a gap
I doubt i will do another one until we see some trial games.

HF: Rayner, ........., Daniher, Ah Chee (was on bench see below)
FF: McCarthy, Cameron, Payne

R.: McInerney, Lyons, Neale

Int: Zorko (mid/fwd), Prior (wing/def) Ah Chee (def/fwd/wing) Fort (ruck/fwd)

Sub: Anyone ( unlucky players that can play forward that i left out at this point were Cockatoo & J Berry so one goes to Ah Chee's bench spot)

You and others go to some training so if Payne is not training with the forwards leading up to the intraclub games than he is unlikely to get a go up forward

I don't think they will play Big O forward with Fort in the ruck. Possibly the other way around if we go down that path
If Big O continues his improvement i can see being top 5 ruck this year. In 2021 his position was around the 7 to 9 mark
So from your players mentioned

Ah Chee - Daniher - Rayner
McCarthy - Big O - Cameron

Bench: Cockatoo. With the usual mids having a stint up forward, and Fort the main Ruck

On paper the names look okay
However i have a few issues with this set up
15/20% of the time one ruck will find himself on the bench. That leaves Daniher (or McStay) on their own + 4 smalls.
I think opposition coaches will like that considering how we usually enter our forward 50. Can see Daniher (or McStay) having to deal with 2 defenders
Also the 2nd tall is a ruck. They train as a ruck and either play as the number 1 ruck at VFL level or forward/bench/ ruck in the AFL
In my opinion their is a big difference in someone playing to a KPF role compared to a ruck/forward sitting forward for long periods of the game
Looking at my forward & bench best 22 team (page 10) we are not far apart name wise but structurally their is a gap
I doubt i will do another one until we see some trial games.

HF: Rayner, ........., Daniher, Ah Chee (was on bench see below)
FF: McCarthy, Cameron, Payne

R.: McInerney, Lyons, Neale

Int: Zorko (mid/fwd), Prior (wing/def) Ah Chee (def/fwd/wing) Fort (ruck/fwd)

Sub: Anyone ( unlucky players that can play forward that i left out at this point were Cockatoo & J Berry so one goes to Ah Chee's bench spot)

You and others go to some training so if Payne is not training with the forwards leading up to the intraclub games than he is unlikely to get a go up forward
I don’t know how rucks are rated, but would have thought Oscar would be in the bottom half of rucks in the league.

The only game I can remember from last season where I thought he won the ruck duel was against Gold Coast. Other than that, I don’t remember him halving many contests either.

I remember Fort won their duel, when Oscar was matched up against him.

I don’t know how rucks are rated, but would have thought Oscar would be in the bottom half of rucks in the league.

The only game I can remember from last season where I thought he won the ruck duel was against Gold Coast. Other than that, I don’t remember him halving many contests either.

I remember Fort won their duel, when Oscar was matched up against him.
Oscar has periods of dominance in pretty much every game.
It is his consistency, even within games, that is the question mark for me.
He appears to fade out late in games also. Which is why he works his absolute butt off to try and improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back