Best 22 in ‘22

Remove this Banner Ad

Does this not tell you something about what Fagan thinks our best structure up forward was in 2021
I think he will still believe the same 3 tall forward structure will be best in 2022
So for rounds 1 to about 12 it will be Daniher, McStay + someone else.
Fullarton is the logical one from last years player list. But could be someone else.
Whoever it is will likely be a tall so when Hippy returns structurally our forward line does not change much
I’ve already given what I believe we are likely to go with.

I guess you didn’t like my reply and keep looking for others to agree with you about Payne moving forward.

I believe we’re most likely to play a two ruck formation, while Hipwood is out injured. If another tall forward goes down injured, then we bring Fullerton in.

After that, it’s break glass time, and move a tall defender forward. Or play small.

I guess you didn’t like my reply and keep looking for others to agree with you about Payne moving forward.

I believe we’re most likely to play a two ruck formation, while Hipwood is out injured. If another tall forward goes down injured, then we bring Fullerton in.

After that, it’s break glass time, and move a tall defender forward. Or play small.
Just a discussion briztoon
I don't believe i am trying to get others to agree with me. Sometimes i get things right other times i am way off
However i will find something else to discuss in this long boring offseason

Just a discussion briztoon
I don't believe i am trying to get others to agree with me. Sometimes i get things right other times i am way off
However i will find something else to discuss in this long boring offseason
It’s all good.

For what it’s worth, the same discussion could be had about our defence.

We basically have 3 tall forwards and 3 tall defenders in our best 22, then one reserve KPF in Fullerton (I don’t count him as a forward ruck, but as a pure forward who is asked to ruck, just like Daniher), and one reserve KPD in Payne.

Other than Fullerton and Payne, we have a bunch of rucks in our reserves. Fort, Lane and Henry Smith. Smith has been developed as a ruck forward, and watching him at training, I understand why. He’s a more mobile and fluid athlete than our other rucks.

O.O

It’s all good.

For what it’s worth, the same discussion could be had about our defence.

We basically have 3 tall forwards and 3 tall defenders in our best 22, then one reserve KPF in Fullerton (I don’t count him as a forward ruck, but as a pure forward who is asked to ruck, just like Daniher), and one reserve KPD in Payne.

Other than Fullerton and Payne, we have a bunch of rucks in our reserves. Fort, Lane and Henry Smith. Smith has been developed as a ruck forward, and watching him at training, I understand why. He’s a more mobile and fluid athlete than our other rucks.
My two bobs worth on Payne, is that whilst arguably Gardner and Adams are in front of him (at this stage), he has shown he can mark on mid to tall forwards so is still a reasonable chance of being in the back 7 for 2022, even with Gardner and Adams in the team. If Lions are not going to give him an opportunity in 2022, then forget about him being long term future back with Andrews, he will likely seek a release and explore other options...contracts are broken by players and clubs. Even admin and coaching staff leave to seek opportunities, eg David Noble.

My first go at it this year, when Hippys available - Hipwood in Fort out >

Brandon Stacevich, Harris Andrews, Keidean Coleman.
Darcy Gardiner, Marcus Adams, Daniel Rich.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Hugh McCluggage.
Jarryd Lyons, Zac Bailey, Jarrod Berry.

Charlie Cameron, Daniel McStay, Cam Rayner.
Lincoln McCarthy, Joe Daniher, Nakia Cockatoo.

Darcy Fort/Eric Hipwood, Dayne Zorko, Dev Robertson, Mitch Robertson. Concussion sub- Jaxon Prior.

Reserves >

Ryan Lester, Jack Payne, James Madden.
Darcy Wilmot, Wylie Buzza, Noah Answerth.

Henry Smith, Rhys Mathieson, Tom Berry.
Jaxon Prior, James Tunstill, Harry Sharp.

Kai Lohmann, Kalin Lane, Blake Coleman.
Connor McFadyen, Tom Fullarton, Callum Ah Chee.

Carter Michael, Ely Smith, Deividas Uosis, Darcy Fort.

The senior side first 19-20 players is pretty straight forward IMO, very hard for me to leave Ah Chee out of the seniors, expect him to put pressure on Dev Rob and Mitch Rob for a spot. If Zorks isn't the 7th defender Prior will probably come in for Dev or Mitch. There will also be another player coming in for CEY which is why I selected Buzza to fill his 44th list spot.

David Zita & Ben Waterworth from Fox have listed our starting 22 in their article.

Love Froggy, but would be a little surprised to see him in our starting 22 if we have no injury issues.

Kiddie Coleman in the backline, with either Ah Chee, Answerth or Cockatoo taking Lester's spot in the side

Fox 22.jpg

Below link to foxsports article best 22 all clubs
Even tough they probably got most players correct.
It just looks like a copy and past from somewhere in 2021.
Add the in/outs and throw in out top pick Wilmott to make debut sometime in the year. Then find a spot for our only trade Fort
Mentions Hippy out most of the year. So a bit lazy on their part regarding Brisbane
Then mentions Answerth got the last bench spot only to see he is not named
Seeing it is still the offseason i will post there Lions team & the link for anyone interested in other teams
BRISBANE LIONS

B:
Marcus Adams, Darcy Gardiner, Brandon Starcevich

HB: Ryan Lester, Harris Andrews, Daniel Rich

C: Hugh McCluggage, Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson

HF: Cam Rayner, Dan McStay, Zac Bailey

F: Lincoln McCarthy, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron

FOLL: Oscar McInerney, Jarryd Lyons, Lachie Neale

I/C: Jarrod Berry, Deven Robertson, Keidean Coleman, Darcy Fort

In: Darcy Fort, Darcy Wilmot, Kai Lohmann, James Tunstill

Out: Grant Birchall, Archie Smith, Connor Ballenden, Tom Joyce, Brock Smith

WE SAY: The Lions enter the 2022 season with a similar side to the one that went down the Western Bulldogs by one point in the semi-final. They’ll be boosted by the return of Cam Rayner from an ACL injury and he’s slated for more midfield time, while ruck-forward recruit Darcy Fort fills a chasm. Eric Hipwood is expected to miss most of the season with an ACL injury. Noah Answerth could also return from a groin injury that plagued him last year, with Grant Birchall’sretirement opening up a spot in the backline. Answerth got the last bench spot over the likes of Rhys Mathieson and Callum Ah Chee to provide that defensive support. Also set to charge his way into the best 22 at some point this year is Darcy Wilmot, a mid-sized defender who the Lions took with their top pick and someone who could be a nice replacement for the now-retired Birchall.

David Zita & Ben Waterworth from Fox have listed our starting 22 in their article.

Love Froggy, but would be a little surprised to see him in our starting 22 if we have no injury issues.

Kiddie Coleman in the backline, with either Ah Chee, Answerth or Cockatoo taking Lester's spot in the side

View attachment 1321100
Sorry just saw this after i posted.

B: Marcus Adams, Darcy Gardiner, Brandon Starcevich

While its a pretty easy backline to assume from last year - I just cant see the value in running all four of Adams, Gardiner, Lester and Harris. It really should only be 3 from them (and Payne) most weeks

View attachment 1321100
Tough for Dev but I think I’ve got Cockatoo taking his place if fully fit for round 1.

Tough for Dev but I think I’ve got Cockatoo taking his place if fully fit for round 1.
Yeah it sucks for the players but give me a situation where we have four or five that could consider themselves really unlucky not to be in there vs a team that picks itself any day of the week.

Haven't seen enough of Cockatoo to comment on your post really. He'd have to have shown a fair bit to take the place of Dev though. Dev played almost every game last year didn't he? Surely with another pre-season & some more size on him he'd be a better player this year. Are those two actually competing for a spot?

Yeah it sucks for the players but give me a situation where we have four or five that could consider themselves really unlucky not to be in there vs a team that picks itself any day of the week.

Haven't seen enough of Cockatoo to comment on your post really. He'd have to have shown a fair bit to take the place of Dev though. Dev played almost every game last year didn't he? Surely with another pre-season & some more size on him he'd be a better player this year. Are those two actually competing for a spot?
Dev played most of last season but we also had best 22 guys out most of the season. Personally have both Prior and Cockatoo ahead purely for their versatility. I like Cockatoo as more of a point of difference either in the middle or up forward, Dev would be a pretty similar style and role to Neale and Lyons for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dev played most of last season but we also had best 22 guys out most of the season. Personally have both Prior and Cockatoo ahead purely for their versatility. I like Cockatoo as more of a point of difference either in the middle or up forward, Dev would be a pretty similar style and role to Neale and Lyons for me.

I forgot about Prior too. Given the nature of the season that we may have ahead of us it's not a bad thing that we have quite a few that had a decent taste of senior football last year.

Even if they're not in the starting 22, Matho, Dev, Prior, Madden, Ah Chee, Sharp, Lester, Payne, Tom Berry & Fullarton can all slot in pretty seamlessly if we get more covid cases. All at once might be an issue, but no club is different there.

I forgot about Prior too. Given the nature of the season that we may have ahead of us it's not a bad thing that we have quite a few that had a decent taste of senior football last year.

Even if they're not in the starting 22, Matho, Dev, Prior, Madden, Ah Chee, Sharp, Lester, Payne, Tom Berry & Fullarton can all slot in pretty seamlessly if we get more covid cases. All at once might be an issue, but no club is different there.
Yeah 100%, they’re all different roles and positions as well so good depth all round.

Below link to foxsports article best 22 all clubs
Even tough they probably got most players correct.
It just looks like a copy and past from somewhere in 2021.
Add the in/outs and throw in out top pick Wilmott to make debut sometime in the year. Then find a spot for our only trade Fort
Mentions Hippy out most of the year. So a bit lazy on their part regarding Brisbane
Then mentions Answerth got the last bench spot only to see he is not named
Seeing it is still the offseason i will post there Lions team & the link for anyone interested in other teams
BRISBANE LIONS

B:
Marcus Adams, Darcy Gardiner, Brandon Starcevich

C: Hugh McCluggage, Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson

HF: Cam Rayner, Dan McStay, Zac Bailey

F: Lincoln McCarthy, Joe Daniher, Charlie Cameron

FOLL: Oscar McInerney, Jarryd Lyons, Lachie Neale

I/C: Jarrod Berry, Deven Robertson, Keidean Coleman, Darcy Fort

In: Darcy Fort, Darcy Wilmot, Kai Lohmann, James Tunstill

Out: Grant Birchall, Archie Smith, Connor Ballenden, Tom Joyce, Brock Smith

WE SAY: The Lions enter the 2022 season with a similar side to the one that went down the Western Bulldogs by one point in the semi-final. They’ll be boosted by the return of Cam Rayner from an ACL injury and he’s slated for more midfield time, while ruck-forward recruit Darcy Fort fills a chasm. Eric Hipwood is expected to miss most of the season with an ACL injury. Noah Answerth could also return from a groin injury that plagued him last year, with Grant Birchall’sretirement opening up a spot in the backline. Answerth got the last bench spot over the likes of Rhys Mathieson and Callum Ah Chee to provide that defensive support. Also set to charge his way into the best 22 at some point this year is Darcy Wilmot, a mid-sized defender who the Lions took with their top pick and someone who could be a nice replacement for the now-retired Birchall.

At this present time Kai Lohmann is the best chance of playing senior footy in 2022. He is impressing the right guys with his speed and read of the play.

At this present time Kai Lohmann is the best chance of playing senior footy in 2022. He is impressing the right guys with his speed and read of the play.
At last weeks intra Hippy was the goal umpire and was instructing Kai on his positioning in the forward line.

ROUND1 TEAM

B D.Gardener M.Adams D.Zorko
HB B.Starcevich H.Andrews D.Rich
C H.McCluggage Z.Bailey M.Robinson
HF L.McCarthy J.Daniher C.Rayner
F K.Coleman D.McStay C.Cameron
Foll O.McInerney L.Neale J.Lyons

Inter
J.Berry N.Ainsworth D.Robertson D.Fort

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

ROUND1 TEAM

Inter

Team will more than likely be pretty close but Kiddy will be playing in defence this year without a doubt in my mind.
So swap him around with Zorko and it could be pretty close.
Darcy Fort is an interesting one because when up against Oscar in the first 2 quarters in the intraclub on Friday, I thought he got the better of Oscar.
So interesting to see if we play him in the early rounds as second ruck or stick with Tommy.

ROUND1 TEAM

Inter

Let's be honest, Zorks is only gonna be named in defense to ensure our captain is named on field. You can swap him and Coleman. Otherwise probably pretty close but man, ANSWERTH. How and from where are you getting that spelling?

Let's be honest, Zorks is only gonna be named in defense to ensure our captain is named on field. You can swap him and Coleman. Otherwise probably pretty close but man, ANSWERTH. How and from where are you getting that spelling?
Thanks for Answerth spelling, I should have looked it up.

It's always great fun selecting and debating a team. Let's just hope they are all still available come round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back