Best 22 in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Any news on Balic lately?

Is there any chance of him playing a few games at Peel at the end of this year?

I would have thought no chance. We are a no risk club this year and he will be in cotton wool like all the others, I don't expect to see Johnson either.

I'm expecting a maximum of 2 players who aren't currently on the list who will be walk ins to our B22 for Round 1 of 2017. It's hard to be specific, but surely these guys are the lock ins:

Mundy
Sandilands
D.Pearce
Ballantyne
Fyfe
Walters
Neale
Bennell
Hill
Crozier
Sheridan
Taberner
Weller
Blakely
A.Pearce
Tucker

16/22
18/22 Including 2 Potential pick-ups.

Leaves 4 spots up to anyone. Hughes and Collins I feel like could be 2 of those players - potentially Apeness depending how this year plays out for him.

I think Tucker is a bit of a stretch considering he's currently playing WAFL when we have 15 guys injured.

The rest of the year will be good to see which players are locked in for next years 22. It's a bit like our season is a pre season implementing our new game plan which really is starting to take shape and seeing who can be apart of it. It might not be pretty at the moment but Ross is thinking of long term and the way the game is heading. In 2-3 years we will be challenging for flag again. A bit of a clean out and some gems found in the draft over the next year or two and everything will be sweet. #inrosswetrust ✌

Could the club also look at Neville Jetta from Melbourne as the small defender with sublime skills. Something we are lacking at the moment.
Also Aaron Black from North Melbourne is a free agent after this year.

Just for the record - Collins will be better than Dawson...............

Could the club also look at Neville Jetta from Melbourne as the small defender with sublime skills. Something we are lacking at the moment.
Also Aaron Black from North Melbourne is a free agent after this year.

Just for the record - Collins will be better than Dawson...............
Any of those Melbourne defenders would go OK. Jetta, McDonald.. even Col Garland, who's 28, playing 2s - he'd be basically free, but a genuine defender as opposed to a midfielder who's been told to play down back.

Just my opinion, but I'm off the Aaron Black train. He had his chance to come over and knocked us back. With Tabs, Ape, Uber, Smith and poss McCarthy Strnadica and Pav he's not going to be ball-tearingly better than what we've got. He's not exactly jumping up and down at North screaming pick-me-pick-me either.

Shane Kersten on the other hand has played some seriously good games this year. Would get a game in front of all of ours except Pav (if he plays on)

Lobb -GWS would ask for 2 first rounders as a starting point, then say he's required, then 'we're not discussing it', then say we didn't offer enough. It would be a waste of time trying.

Last edited:
Assuming leaving free agents and retirements and no trade ins outside of McCarthy:

Spurr Dawson Sutcliffe
Sheridan A. Pearce Crozier
D. Pearce Mundy Hill
Walter's Taberner Weller
McCarthy Apeness Ballantyne
Sandilands Fyfe Neale
Collins Blakely Petrevski-Seton Bennell

Not sure if I'm forgetting anyone....

Assuming leaving free agents and retirements and no trade ins outside of McCarthy:

Spurr Dawson Sutcliffe
Sheridan A. Pearce Crozier
D. Pearce Mundy Hill
Walter's Taberner Weller
McCarthy Apeness Ballantyne
Sandilands Fyfe Neale
Collins Blakely Petrevski-Seton Bennell

Not sure if I'm forgetting anyone....
If Spurr, Sutcliffe and Sheridan are all best 22 defenders next year we are in a heap of trouble.

lets have some fun....

B Spurr, Collins, Johnson
HB Mundy, Al Pearce, Ibbo
C S Hill, Blakely, Brad Hill
HF Weller, McCarthy, Langdon
FF Walters, Apeness/ D Cameron, ballas
Foll Sandi, fyfe, neale

Bench Apeness/ D cameron, Tucker, Grey, Bennell

Now your wondering how the hell we get McCarthy and Brad hill? we trade pick 4 to get McCarthy and pick 16 then trade pick 16 to get Brad Hill. then we use oir 3rd round pick on Darcy Cameron

Plus I like having Darcy Cameron and Michael Apeness in the side. why? Sadly the pav and sandi era is near the end was a bloody good era from 2003-2016.

So I suggest we replace Pav who is A 50-70 goal a season forward and Sandi who is a good ruck. With Apeness and Darcy Cameron who are both half decent rucks and can kick 50-70 goals between them.

Last edited:
and I'm not sure if Ballas should be a certain starter either.

Looks like Langdon is being groomed as Ballas replacement, not sure he has the goal sense but certainly has the pace to be a dangerous small forward.

If Spurr, Sutcliffe and Sheridan are all best 22 defenders next year we are in a heap of trouble.
I'd say they are locks come selection time. Sutcliffe had a shocker against the Hawks but other than that has been fine. Sheridan cops enormous amount of criticism he doesn't deserve and Spurr is one of our best defenders.

Actually I'd drop Sutcliffe for Hughes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lets have some fun....

Foll Sandi, fyfe, neale

Now your wondering how the hell we get McCarthy and Brad hill? we trade pick 4 to get McCarthy and pick 16 then trade pick 16 to get Brad Hill. then we use oir 3rd round pick on Darcy Cameron

Plus I like having Darcy Cameron and Michael Apeness in the side. why? Sadly the pav and sandi era is near the end was a bloody good era from 2003-2016.

So I suggest we replace Pav who is A 50-70 goal a season forward and Sandi who is a good ruck. With Apeness and Darcy Cameron who are both half decent rucks and can kick 50-70 goals between them.

I am hearing that a former Freo player is saying that Johnson doubts he will be playing next year.

Looks like Langdon is being groomed as Ballas replacement, not sure he has the goal sense but certainly has the pace to be a dangerous small forward.

Happy with this, Langdon has better size and by the looks of last week perhaps a better kick, certainly distance wise. I hope Langdon signs up for a 2-3 year contract. I think he has goal sense, certainly been hovering on the goal line lately for a couple of goals.

I'd say they are locks come selection time. Sutcliffe had a shocker against the Hawks but other than that has been fine. Sheridan cops enormous amount of criticism he doesn't deserve and Spurr is one of our best defenders.

Actually I'd drop Sutcliffe for Hughes.
Not criticising any of them ilikepotatoes, but for mine Spurr is the only natural defender of the three. I would much prefer we have real defenders in defense and play Sheridan and Sutcliffe in a creative role rather than a defensive role. Both are too easily beaten one on one and the new game style requires defenders to square or win one on one battles, rather than everyone drifting back to help the defense.

For the record I think the reason they are criticised is more about the roles they are required to play than their actual abilities.

My best 22.

Morabito A.Pearce Hughes
Tucker Johnson Crozier
Hill Mundy Weller
Walters McCarthy Bennell
Yarran Apeness Mayne

Sandilands Fyfe Neale

Blakely Barlow Langdon Sam Petroski-Seton

It might be a little optimistic with Hughes, Tucker, Morabito, Yarran and Apeness yet to prove themselves but I think they'll establish themselves before years end

Going to call this with current squad;

B: Dawson Johnson Collins
HB: Crozier Morabito Mundy
C: Bennell Neale Hill
HF: Weller Blakely Yarran
F: Taberner Apeness Walter
R: Sandilands Neale Fyfe

INT: Grey Ballantyne Yarran D. Pearce

Hard to judge Collins off one game, but I feel the defence is the right mix of experience (Johnson, Dawson and Mundy) mixed in with youth. There's always the chance that either Igbo will become Ibbo again and that Silvagni will one day not be concussed... but Collins is probably the way forward.

Aside from that I don't see the rest as being unrealistic - McCarthy in for the lesser of Taberner or Apeness (maybe we go with 3 talls if we snare McCarthy?)
D. Pearce gets his spot because he signed a two year contract.

Weller and Blakely are getting closer each week to being genuine lock 22's. Grey over Sutcliffe and Sheridan... as long as he passes it to Crozier his Disposal will be fine!!

Hard to judge Collins off one game, but I feel the defence is the right mix of experience (Johnson, Dawson and Mundy) mixed in with youth. There's always the chance that either Igbo will become Ibbo again and that Silvagni will one day not be concussed... but Collins is probably the way forward.

Aside from that I don't see the rest as being unrealistic - McCarthy in for the lesser of Taberner or Apeness (maybe we go with 3 talls if we snare McCarthy?)

Weller and Blakely are getting closer each week to being genuine lock 22's. Grey over Sutcliffe and Sheridan... as long as he passes it to Crozier his Disposal will be fine!!
Would be nice if we had two Neales!

2 Neales? That's just being greedy - we have to secure one first.

5 guys over 190cm in the backline? Will Crozier cover all the smalls? In our forward line you have 4 players under 190cm, with Blakely at CHF. Innovative.

Last edited:

young bloke by the name of Alex Pearce would probably get a run i think

lets have some fun....

Foll Sandi, fyfe, neale

I like your thinking but I'd be pretty hesitant and not want us to go down that path. Would be good if we were contending but we aren't. Pick up someone classy with our first pick, wait a year to secure Stephens brother (when he's out of contract) and get McCarthy with a third rounder. Possibly a second depending on our possible compo picks for Clarke/Mayne. In all honesty we need a decent ruckman, not a forward/ruckman but an actual decent tap, moves around the field ruckman. That's coming up to being a big priority, especially if Clarke goes and Griff/Sandi get longer in the tooth. I would target Nicholls from Gold Coast. With our elite midfield we'd do well with him. Look at the previous premiers and pretty much until you go back as far as Cox for West Coast in 2006 none of the ruckmans were AA or even top 3 rucks of the season. Nicholls wouldn't win any AA with us but he'd give our dominant mids decent assistance. He'd be worth a second rounder or maybe even a straight swap with Mayne. They would love someone like Mayne or even another foot soldier to assist them? If we acquired Nicholls we'd definitely be able to phase him in pretty easily, and he's not first choice ruckman at GC right now but had huge wraps on him as a kid.

I don't know enough about D.Cameron but from what I read he's a bit more of a forward/ruckman type. Apeness will be our pinch hitter and we will need an actual ruckman for about 80% of the game. I'd pt Sutcliffe in B.Hills spot and then that looks like a pretty decent team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back