Opinion Best 22 in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to be a bit patient with players like Bolton. A good skill set with some exceptional qualities, but at 19 not likely to put it all together for a while. Edwards was a bit similar, but like Bolton never had the strength and stamina to put it together for entire games. Butler is another, can go missing for long periods, sometimes weeks on end, but has enough credits due to speed and closing down of space that he is important to our structures. Would love to see him put on a few kg's so he is more inside. Smaller players take time. Even Eddy Betts whilst pretty good at Cartlon took it too a new level at Adelaide when he was older.
Bigger question will be is Bolton patient enough to stay if he doesn't get many games this year.

You have to be a bit patient with players like Bolton. A good skill set with some exceptional qualities, but at 19 not likely to put it all together for a while. Edwards was a bit similar, but like Bolton never had the strength and stamina to put it together for entire games. Butler is another, can go missing for long periods, sometimes weeks on end, but has enough credits due to speed and closing down of space that he is important to our structures. Would love to see him put on a few kg's so he is more inside. Smaller players take time. Even Eddy Betts whilst pretty good at Cartlon took it too a new level at Adelaide when he was older.
Bigger question will be is Bolton patient enough to stay if he doesn't get many games this year.
we agree on most things but i think smalls in general click well before mediums and talls what you see by age 20 21 is generally what you will get.

Even Eddiie Betts his numbers after his first three or four seasons are very similar to this day.The difference is he has kicked more goals at Adelaide but i reckon thats due to him being the only good small fwd they have had, at Carlton he had Garlett who was also kicking lots of goals, and the dominance of their team compared to Carltons since eddie has been there has helped.

This wont go down well but i dont think Edwards consistently puts it together for entire games to this day. yep he has had some great games but for me its what has stopped him becoming an A grade mid or A grade fwd.

we agree on most things but i think smalls in general click well before mediums and talls what you see by age 20 21 is generally what you will get.

Even Eddiie Betts his numbers after his first three or four seasons are very similar to this day.The difference is he has kicked more goals at Adelaide but i reckon thats due to him being the only good small fwd they have had, at Carlton he had Garlett who was also kicking lots of goals, and the dominance of their team compared to Carltons since eddie has been there has helped.

This wont go down well but i dont think Edwards consistently puts it together for entire games to this day. yep he has had some great games but for me its what has stopped him becoming an A grade mid or A grade fwd.

Edwards is one of our most important players when it comes to getting the ball into space.

his hands and vision are elite, and his impact per disposal would be right up there i reckon.

his biggest let down is his disposal by foot, swings the leg around the body too often which drags the kicks, but in most other aspects he is very very good.

Smalls that play up the ground are what I'm talking about mostly talking about (probably shouldn't have used Betts as an example). They usually play outside as juniors and transferring that to AFL midfield takes time. Cotchin is a good example of a player built ready from day one. The game is much more contested these days, wingman are like mids hence players like MacIntosh get games, so asking slight wingman high half forwards to be consistent ball winners is asking a lot. Hence the Edwards and Bolton reference, as I thing Bolton's work is best in a bit of space.

I think the Edwards assessment is fair enough. I'm a big fan but concede that if he was more consistent all game every game he would be our best player almost. He does things that others don't, to be the no.1 score involvement player in the league whilst only gathering 20 odd possessions a game, many of them up field is pretty impressive. Still think he is an A grade due to that, but he could have been an A+.

Broad rance vlastuin

Houli astbury MacIntosh

Edwards Cotchin lambert

Caddy Reiwoldt Townsend

Rioli Lynch Higgins

Nank Martin Prestia

Butler graham hartung Menzel/grigg/Cyril

Heres my 22:

Vickery Vickery Vickery
Vickery Vickery Vickery
Vickery Vickery Vickery
Vickery Vickery Vickery
Vickery Vickery Vickery

Vickery Vickery Vickery

Vickery Vickery Vickery Vickery

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our 22 should depend on the opposition. I reckon we were a bit too predictable by the time the whips started cracking this season.

I LOVE the idea of getting some games into our young, fringe players. Garthwaite looks like a player who could be top 10 in the B&F, but he'll need games to get there. Markov, Menadue, Balta, Bolton, Stengle, CCJ and Naish all have attributes that could potentially make them better players than, say, Broad, KMac and BEllis - our current fringe. We won't know until we've given them proper opportunity at AFL level.

So, I want to see some rotation in 2019.

Players over 30 don't need to play every single week. I wouldn't put all four of Grigg, Houli, Edwards and Riewoldt on the plane to play Freo in W.A. They'd relish the chance to freshen up and our kids need to get some games ticked up.

You could probably put injury-prone players on that list, too.

Some of our stars could be given a different job to keep them learning and interested while keeping the opposition guessing. I gotta say that I LOVE the idea of using Rance as the floating back pocket and putting Garthy to the key position.

Our great depth in 2018 was not used as a competitive advantage. Maybe it should have been.
this-1.gif

The more I think about it the more I like the thought of Garth being in the 22. I think he’s a real talent that we have to get games into, and it also provides us with some exciting opportunities with Rance not having to take one of the big talls, floating around doing as he likes. Hoping next year we will see the best of Bolton, sky high potential if he can get his fitness and defensive stuff up to scratch. Still not sure who they will play in terms of the second ruck.

B: Grimes, Garthwaite, Rance
HB: Vlastuin, Astbury, Houli
C: Lambert, Cotchin, Edwards
HF: Caddy, Reiwoldt, Rioli
F: Butler, Lynch, Bolton
R: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
I: Short, Grigg, Higgins, Graham

Emg: B.Ellis, Castagna, McIntosh, Broad

The more I think about it the more I like the thought of Garth being in the 22. I think he’s a real talent that we have to get games into, and it also provides us with some exciting opportunities with Rance not having to take one of the big talls, floating around doing as he likes. Hoping next year we will see the best of Bolton, sky high potential if he can get his fitness and defensive stuff up to scratch. Still not sure who they will play in terms of the second ruck.

B: Grimes, Garthwaite, Rance
HB: Vlastuin, Astbury, Houli
C: Lambert, Cotchin, Edwards
HF: Caddy, Reiwoldt, Rioli
F: Butler, Lynch, Bolton
R: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
I: Short, Grigg, Higgins, Graham

Emg: B.Ellis, Castagna, McIntosh, Broad
Garth or Balta.
Having Balta in may give Nank a chop out in the ruck.
Think the Rance thing is a good idea, image Rance playing on nobody [in particular], (the main board would love it).

Might start a thread myself.... Rance to play loose in defence in 2019...

or play both, Balta CHB, Garth BP and Rance HBF

b. Grimes Astbury Garth
h. Vlastuin Balta Rance

or Houli starts on the wing and drops in to HBF allowing Rance as the loose man

Word is that Brando is staying. Doesn't want to leave.

My best 22:

B: Rance, Grimes, Short
HB: Houli, Astbury, Vlastuin
C: Edwards, Martin, Lambert
HF: Butler, Riewoldt, Rioli
F: Caddy, Lynch, Higgins
Foll: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
Inter: Graham, Grigg, Ellis, McIntosh

Still think this is our best 22 atm.

I would like to see Bolton fit in there somehow next year form permitted, but not sure who comes out.

Perhaps Balta, Garthwaite & Bolton get to play more senior games giving the likes of Houli & Grigg a bit more of a break throughout the season so their bodies stay fresh.

On paper thats a formidable team, cant believe some people honestly believe we might fall.

Reckon Naish will surprise a few this year.

It’s probably gonna be a rotating 22 next year, we have to many good players to have such a settled lineup like last year, players like Brando, Naish, Garth, Bolton, Balta, Broad etc will all be rotating throughout the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back