Corr Taylor Whitfield
Kelly Perryman Williams
Greene Cameron Daniels
Langdon Himmelberg
Jacobs Hopper De Boer

Reid Caldwell Kennedy Green/Hately

Cumming in for Williams - if not ready

To come into that side: Taranto, Ward
There is no Cognilo and only 2 in the forward line. I assume he goes in There.
I can't have Reid. Id leave him out and have both of Hately and Green.
They'll pick Finlayson.for sure.
Kennedy won't make my team, but he was terrific on the weekend. Ash or Cummings for me in that spot.

There is no Cognilo and only 2 in the forward line. I assume he goes in There.
I can't have Reid. Id leave him out and have both of Hately and Green.
They'll pick Finlayson.for sure.
Kennedy won't make my team, but he was terrific on the weekend. Ash or Cummings for me in that spot.
Reckon putting in all of Caldwell, Green Ash and Hately into a Round 1 team against Geelong is too much young blood.

My team:

Haynes Davis Shaw
Corr Taylor Whitfield
Kelly Perryman Williams
Greene Cameron Daniels
Langdon Himmelberg Coniglio
Jacobs Hopper De Boer

Finlayson Caldwell Kennedy Green

Line ball choice between Shaw and Cumming for the back pocket spot. Hately very stiff to miss but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Haynes Davis Ash
Ward Taylor Whitfield
Kelly Williams Caldwell
Greene Himmelberg De Boer
Langdon Cameron Hopper
Jacobs Taranto Coniglio

Finlayson Daniels Corr Green

Whatever the team they go with I hope they are sent out with the confidence to keep taking the game on.

Fingers crossed Jacobs stays fit. He’ll be toughest to cover.

Love to be proved wrong, but I fear Shaw is done.

Upon return I think it’ll be:
Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Whitfield
Kelly Coniglio Perryman
Greene Cameron Lloyd
Langdon HH Daniels
Jacobs Green Hopper

Ward Corr Finlayson Kennedy

it seems like Wards return will most likely just be managed minutes. How else do you get game time into him??

It would be nice if the AFL made the bench 6 players - would allow us to manage Cal's minutes, and probably blood someone like Lachie Ash (not necessarily the same game!).
Upon return I think it’ll be:
Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Whitfield
Kelly Coniglio Perryman
Greene Cameron Lloyd
Langdon HH Daniels
Jacobs Green Hopper

Ward Corr Finlayson Kennedy

it seems like Wards return will most likely just be managed minutes. How else do you get game time into him??
Did you mean to omit Matt de Boer? I would be surprised if he was the one to make way for Ward.

It would be nice if the AFL made the bench 6 players - would allow us to manage Cal's minutes, and probably blood someone like Lachie Ash (not necessarily the same game!).

Did you mean to omit Matt de Boer? I would be surprised if he was the one to make way for Ward.
No chance De Boar misses. Lloyd or Kennedy most likely to miss out.
Taranto probably isn't too far away either
Given our enormous quality in the recent drafts, it'll be hard to get development into the likes of Caldwell, Hill, Hately, Briggs, Ash, Green and O'Halloran..

No chance De Boar misses. Lloyd or Kennedy most likely to miss out.
Taranto probably isn't too far away either
Given our enormous quality in the recent drafts, it'll be hard to get development into the likes of Caldwell, Hill, Hately, Briggs, Ash, Green and O'Halloran..

I'd say if Ward was to be included in the round 2 team, Green would be the one to make way for him at this stage. Cummming would be a bit stiff to miss out, but who else do you take out?

It's a really good point. Particularly with all clubs starting with basically healthy lists, standing down of development coaches and uncertainty about any NEAFL matches.

That said given the likely increased frequency of games in the condensed window I'm guessing there'll be more than the usual cycling in and out of players from week to week. Should mean more chances for midfielders (eg Caldwell/Hately).

Will be interesting to see if they cut list sizes next year to 38 or lower. That theoretically should equal less trades between clubs. Ie it's hard enough to accommodate the current players you have let alone bring new ones in via trades.

I'd say if Ward was to be included in the round 2 team, Green would be the one to make way for him at this stage. Cummming would be a bit stiff to miss out, but who else do you take out?
Z Williams will come in for either Kennedy or Cummins. Whoever misses is stiff.. I'd pick Cummins, he has done enough in my mind to show he could be a class player. Was terrific in the trials and rnd 1.
Kennedy is fan fave and plenty will opt for him, which is fair enough.
Ward will come in for one of Green or Lloyd I'm guessing. I'd leave Lloyd out. I think we went in with one more small forward than necessary in rnd 1.

Plenty of selection headaches, and some players very unlucky. Caldwell, Ash and Hately unlucky to miss in rnd1

It might depend on what type of shape they come back in as well.

Ahhh! No... I forgot. He’s definitely in

Z Williams will come in for either Kennedy or Cummins. Whoever misses is stiff.. I'd pick Cummins, he has done enough in my mind to show he could be a class player. Was terrific in the trials and rnd 1.
Kennedy is fan fave and plenty will opt for him, which is fair enough.
Ward will come in for one of Green or Lloyd I'm guessing. I'd leave Lloyd out. I think we went in with one more small forward than necessary in rnd 1.

Plenty of selection headaches, and some players very unlucky. Caldwell, Ash and Hately unlucky to miss in rnd1

It might depend on what type of shape they come back in as well.

Agree with all this. Green position in the 22 would be Tarranto’s if fit.

In a perfect world get out to 7 or 8 wins on the trot and then start to rotate players through the side.

Really solid depth this year.
Kennedy
Lloyd
Buntine
Keefe
Reid
Ash
Hill
Caldwell
hately
XO
Mumford

Fox sports take on our next game ;

GWS GIANTS

Possible line-up ...

B: Aidan Corr, Sam Taylor, Nick Haynes

HB: Harry Perryman, Phil Davis, Zac Williams

C: Daniel Lloyd, Stephen Coniglio, Lachie Whitfield

HF: Zac Langdon, Jeremy Cameron, Matt de Boer

F: Brent Daniels, Jeremy Finlayson, Harry Himmelberg

FOLL: Sam Jacobs, Josh Kelly, Jacob Hopper

I/C: Heath Shaw, Adam Kennedy, Toby Greene, Tom Green

Callan Ward could remarkably put his hand up for an AFL recall, given the extra recovery time during the off-season. However, with a lack of match fitness and contact training, the Giants may elect to not rush the former club captain. Reigning best and fairest winner Tim Taranto will be sidelined for a few more weeks after his Marsh Series injury, but Zac Williams (Achilies) is ready to go. Sam Jacobs’ outstanding first game could keep Shane Mumford out for Round 2.

GWS GIANTS

Possible line-up ...

Callan Ward could remarkably put his hand up for an AFL recall, given the extra recovery time during the off-season. However, with a lack of match fitness and contact training, the Giants may elect to not rush the former club captain. Reigning best and fairest winner Tim Taranto will be sidelined for a few more weeks after his Marsh Series injury, but Zac Williams (Achilies) is ready to go. Sam Jacobs’ outstanding first game could keep Shane Mumford out for Round 2.

Interesting line up.
If Lloyd plays surely it isn't on the wing.

They have basically just gone Wlliams in, Cummings out, and spun a few magnets positional wise.

I'd be happy enough with that, but certainly think we should go with Cummings. Done his time and earnt is spot in my mind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS GIANTS

Possible line-up ...

Some names are arguable for sure, but I wouldn't be disappointed if that was our next team to play

Some names are arguable for sure, but I wouldn't be disappointed if that was our next team to play
Im the same, with so much competition, there is never going to be concensus

Ditto. For me, I'd also want to know who/where and the follow on schedule, to think about how we get the best out of the team over the short haul that is this season.

I guess Zac back sees either Cumming or Kennedy likely to miss; alternatively they could look to play Zac midfield, keep both Cumming & Kennedy and omit either Lloyd or Green. If not, the other option I'd look at is possibly Hately for Tom Green - Jackson was desperately unlucky to miss out for round 1 & I wouldn't mind giving him some games throughout the season. Even if he were to leave at end of year, a few games would showcase his wares; but he may stay if he sees he gets games.

Auto-correct playing up?
Whenever Im on my phone the predictive text/auto correct makes a mess of many names. I make enough typos (usually leaivng words out and I have regular mistakes, I often interchange how and our, as and has, plus loads of others when not concentrating) that I dont need my "smart" phone adding extra errors for me :)
Dylan "Shield" was probably the most common and annoying one I can think of at the moment

Thoughts on your round 2 line up?
Alot of competition for spots.

I assume it will be fairly close to round 1.

Zac Williams will come in for I suspect Kennedy or Cumming.
Ward is likely to come in for Lloyd.

Ash, Caldwell, Hately probably all some chance of coming in for someone

I'll cop a 4 goal loss.

BTW, you blokes should get a pre-game thread up & running to discuss the match. The footy is back!!!

Thanks Snake_Baker 👍

Preview thread opened for all

There’d have to be a high chance of Lachie Ash being a midfielder in the future. He is already a good size - with good speed and good tank. With Williams, Cumming, Whitfield and Ash our smalls in the backline is looking really strong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back