kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
FB: Cumming (22) - Corr (26) - Taylor (21)
HB: Kennedy (28) - Davis (30) - Williams (26) - [Haynes (28)]
C: Whitfield (26) - Perryman (21) - Kelly (25)
HF: Greene (27) - Himmelberg (24) - Finlayson (24) - [Lloyd (28)]
FF: Daniels (21) - Cameron (27) - Hill (20)
R: Jacobs (32) - Taranto (22) - Hopper (23) - Coniglio (26) - [Caldwell (19)]

Number in brackets is player age as at September 2020. Average age 24.8. I think that's a good mix of youth and experience.

Outside 22: Mumford (34), Shaw (34), Ward (30), De Boer (30), Reid (30), Keeffe (30), Stein (27), Buntine (26), Sheridan (26), Langdon (24), Flynn (23), Sproule (23)
Developing: Shipley (21), Briggs (20), Idun (20), O'Halloran (20), Hately (19), draftees

With a full list I would leave out at least 2-3 older players who are good enough to play for team balance.

Defence - with the aging Davis, Corr, Haynes and Kennedy, having Shaw as well will get too old and slow. Will get bogged down in defence and unable to get out when teams like Richmond apply forward pressure. A couple of failed handball chains early followed by lots of long kicks down the line to key forwards who aren't really suited to that style. Therefore I think we need a younger quicker player in the mix.

Midfield - Jacobs Taranto Hopper Perryman is a very good but also very pack-to-pack oriented set of main midfielders. I think adding Ward too the balance becomes too slow and pack-to-pack oriented so I want a younger player with pace and pressure contributing.

Forward - forward pressure is critical and at the moment Daniels is really the only player providing it. Need at least one more in Hill.

With a full list I expect Leon will back in Heater, Ward and De Boer for a full season. Then the average will be 26.3 which is getting to Adelaide 2019 levels. And the team will be too old and slow against younger quicker teams on fast September decks. Or more likely injuries solve the problem.

Overall it's a nice solid team which should be at least in the 5-6 area again if not better.

Pez in the middle!

Number in brackets is player age as at September 2020. Average age 24.8. I think that's a good mix of youth and experience.

Outside 22: Mumford (34), Shaw (34), Ward (30), De Boer (30), Reid (30), Keeffe (30), Stein (27), Buntine (26), Sheridan (26), Langdon (24), Flynn (23), Sproule (23)
Developing: Shipley (21), Briggs (20), Idun (20), O'Halloran (20), Hately (19), draftees

With a full list I would leave out at least 2-3 older players who are good enough to play for team balance.

Defence - with the aging Davis, Corr, Haynes and Kennedy, having Shaw as well will get too old and slow. Will get bogged down in defence and unable to get out when teams like Richmond apply forward pressure. A couple of failed handball chains early followed by lots of long kicks down the line to key forwards who aren't really suited to that style. Therefore I think we need a younger quicker player in the mix.

Midfield - Jacobs Taranto Hopper Perryman is a very good but also very pack-to-pack oriented set of main midfielders. I think adding Ward too the balance becomes too slow and pack-to-pack oriented so I want a younger player with pace and pressure contributing.

Forward - forward pressure is critical and at the moment Daniels is really the only player providing it. Need at least one more in Hill.

With a full list I expect Leon will back in Heater, Ward and De Boer for a full season. Then the average will be 26.3 which is getting to Adelaide 2019 levels. And the team will be too old and slow against younger quicker teams on fast September decks. Or more likely injuries solve the problem.

Overall it's a nice solid team which should be at least in the 5-6 area again if not better.
Mate and average age in 26 does not make us old. With Mumford and Shaw in the squad it comes up a lot. Age shouldn’t be a factor- speed might be but you can’t pick players just to bring down that average

Mate and average age in 26 does not make us old. With Mumford and Shaw in the squad it comes up a lot. Age shouldn’t be a factor- speed might be but you can’t pick players just to bring down that average
Hey “mate” if you’d like to imagine the only thing I mentioned in my post was age then feel free

Mate and average age in
Hey “mate” if you’d like to imagine the only thing I mentioned in my post was age then feel free
you mentioned age and speed. I mentioned both. I agreed with one and disagreed with the other.... don’t be so precious

Why is Nick Haynes in square brackets outside the back 6?
Why do you think our captain is outside the best 22?
Why do you think the best tagger in the entire League is outside the best 22?

Why is Nick Haynes in square brackets outside the back 6?
Why do you think our captain is outside the best 22?
Why do you think the best tagger in the entire League is outside the best 22?
1. Playing 7 defenders who will rotate. Last time I just listed 22 players on field but apparently that’s not allowed

2 and 3 I explained in my comment. Worried about being too slow and pack-to-pack oriented. I’ve watched Adelaide make that mistake in midfield over the last two years.

I get that opinions differ, but I think it’s a bit sad that the number of people criticising me is infinitely greater than the number of people making their own suggestion. Might not bother next time.

Kulak's comments prompt me with a thought that the best 22 at the start of the season won't necessarily be the same at the end of the season. I think that we won't see some of Kulak's observations bear out with our round 1 team (notwithstanding injuries - though fingers crossed we have none!), but there's a greater chance that they might come to pass later. And then of course the injuries will change how the team looks and might propel a marginal player in clear top 22.

FWIW, I'd be more conservative in constructing my best 22 for the start of the season - but I want to see who we might pick up in the draft. If we somehow manage to draft Ash or Young, for example, I think we'll see them in the opening team in place of Kennedy/Reid in this year's team (and Cumming in Kulak's team) although it would be difficult to consider them 'best 22'.

I guess I'm saying there's really 2 teams in my mind - the predicted first round 2020 team and the predicted best 22 in 2020, and they are potentially different.

Last edited:
Kulak's comments prompt me with a thought that the best 22 at the start of the season won't necessarily be the same at the end of the season. I think that we won't see some of Kulak's observations bear out with our round 1 team (notwithstanding injuries - though fingers crossed we have none!), but there's a greater chance that they might come to pass later. And then of course the injuries will change how the team looks and might propel a marginal player in clear top 22.

FWIW, I'd be more conservative in constructing my best 22 for the start of the season - but I want to see who we might pick up in the draft. If we somehow manage to draft Ash or Young, for example, I think we'll see them in the opening team in place of Kennedy/Reid in this year's team (and Cumming in Kulak's team) although to would be difficult to consider them 'best 22'.

I guess I'm saying there's really 2 teams in my mind - the predicted first round 2020 team and the predicted best 22 in 2020, and they are potentially different.
Would love to see either or both of those teams :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Shaw - Taylor - Corr
HB: Haynes - Davis - Williams
C: Whitfield - Ward - Kelly
HF: Himmelberg - Greene - Finlayson
F: Daniels - Cameron - Reid
R: Jacobs - Coniglio - Taranto
Interchange: Hopper - De Boer - Perryman - Kennedy

I definitely think that Shaw will line up early in 2020 - he played the whole season this year with pretty good stats, and I'm sure we re-signed him to play first grade not NEAFL. And I'd suggest he is probably - just - still best 22 at the start of 2020. But he's one who I expect is not by the end of season. I have a fear that Mummy will be named round 1 for similar reasons, when it needs to be Sam Jacobs, who's in my best 22.

I'd like us not not name such a tall backline, but we saw in the last weeks of this year that Corr balances out the roles that Davis, Taylor & Haynes play - we're defensively at our best with that combo.

Ward and Cogs will come back in - while I am a little concerned about speed in the team, Ward isn't going to be left out (by me or GWS selectors). I liked someone's idea about pushing Ward into the backline to be the defensive general, but likely only when Shaw moves on. And even then, while I like it in one sense, I'm not sure that works best for us.

I do expect Reid & Lloyd to be in strong contention early in 2020 - Dan did a good job in the GF (and the whole season), but while Sam did have a good overall season, he also had some poor games including the GF. GWS will improve when the kids push them out (hence I have done so in my team!).

Bobby Hill brings x-factor, but I don't expect him to be best 22 straight up; although I do think that Zac Langdon is a big chance to make it on his combination of speed, goal kicking & tackling ability that he showed in 2018.

But we do need some zip, so I'd include Caldwell (or could be O'Halloran if he progresses in pre-season) instead of Perryman - I love Pez as a footyplayer with great hands and game sense, but he's slow and we can't afford him as well as other slow players (who I think aren't going to be moved out early in the year). He's likely the first into the team to plus any injury gaps in the small/medium players.

So, this is the team I'd like to see in round 1 (but it won't be what's named), generally what we've come to expect with a couple of changes:

B: Shaw - Taylor - Corr
C: Whitfield - Ward - Kelly
HF: Himmelberg - Greene - Finlayson
F: Daniels - Cameron - Langdon
R: Jacobs - Taranto - Coniglio
Interchange: Hopper - De Boer - Caldwell - Kennedy

By end of the year, I'd expect Shaw to be pushed out. At this stage, Whitfield is the guy in best shape to take his spot, in which case I'd hope that O'Halloran has progressed to take a wing spot. Kennedy I think is a chance also to be pushed out, with some like Cumming a chance to take his spot, or a draftee depending on who we manage to select, or perhaps Jackson Hately. If Tom Green is selected at the draft he'd be a chance to make the midfield best 22 by end of season, but to do so he'd have to push out someone like de Boer. Hill will strengthen his claim to a forward spot, pushing out someone like Langdon in my team.

Why?

No one we draft will be best 22 to start with.

You can’t possibly put someone with zero games experience in a best 22 (except maybe us round 1, 2012, but that was special circumstances)

Well, IMHO it depends on whether you are looking at the 'best' at the start of the season or later in the season. But even if looking at early 2020, if we took Lachie Ash or Hayden Young in the national draft, I would expect them to play round 1 due to the combination of speed/kicking. You're right, you probably couldn't call them 'best' given they'd have zero games, but I reckon they'd be there. And likely to push out Kenners rather than Shaw. Just my opinion.

OK ill have a go at a starting 22 V a end of year 22

Starting 22
Shaw Taylor Corr
Haynes Davis Williams
Kelly ward Whitfield
HH Daniels Coniglio
Green Cameron Finlayson

FOL: Jacobs Toranto Hopper
INT: De Boer, Reid, Perryman, Kennedy

However, i think a renewed focus on faster ball movement, speed and natural player development might see that change to:

Ending 22
Shaw Taylor Corr
Haynes Davis Williams
Kelly ward Whitfield
HH Daniels HILL
Green Cameron Finlayson

FOL: Jacobs Toranto Hopper
INT: Cumming/Caldwell, Hatley, Perryman, Coniglio

Essentially I think there will be a fair amount of stability int he line up (injuries permitting). In the starting 22 I went with some of the more experienced worle players who I thnk will get the nod over younger candidates. However, Although I think Reid, De Boer and kennedy are important contributers, I think the shelf life of them operating at that level will be limited and hence im flagging this year as the drop off.

I think Hill offers run and chase in the forward line so will be a late in. I know Coniglio offers something as a marking forward but Personally i like picking genuine forwards rather than rotating mids through there. It has been hugely successful for teams like WC and we should copy that imo. I think in both teams williams and ward rotate... williams offers speed and agility in the midfield and ward should be able to move down back as toranto and hopper demand more midfield time.

I think this season will be make or break for cumming.... he either makes it or we will move him on. Im backing him in. Caldwell and hatley i think will be too good to not play games.... I doubt any draftees will get a run if we improve our injury history. Personally... Shaw stays on and plays the whole year. Although i would flag he plays a more defensive role locking down a small than rebounding like he has in the past. It allows him to play to his strengths of 1V1 defending in his twilight years.

In Kelly and Whitfield we have two elite runners who use the ball well. I would give them a license to roam and have players like williams/perryan/hatley/ maybe even daniels rotating through the wing to give them a rest.

Its a bloody good team... I hope we can keep it on the park

FB: Shaw - Taylor - Corr
C: Whitfield - Cogs - Kelly
HF: Greene - Cameron - Daniels
FF: Hill - Himmelberg - Finlayson
R:Jacobs - Taranto - Hopper
IN/C: Ward - De Boer - Perryman - Caldwell/Hately

Hope to see Cumming push in and genuinely contend with Shaw for a spot in the backline, hopefully Briggs gets some games in as well, or even Flynn if he comes back from the ACL alright.

My hope is we get Ash or Young in the draft on top of Green, in which case they replace Caldwell/ Hately and allow Williams to get time in the guts.

FB: Shaw - Taylor - Corr
C: Whitfield - Cogs - Kelly
HF: Greene - Cameron - Daniels
FF: Hill - Himmelberg - Finlayson
R:Jacobs - Taranto - Hopper
IN/C: Ward - De Boer - Perryman - Caldwell/Hately

Hope to see Cumming push in and genuinely contend with Shaw for a spot in the backline, hopefully Briggs gets some games in as well, or even Flynn if he comes back from the ACL alright.

My hope is we get Ash or Young in the draft on top of Green, in which case they replace Caldwell/ Hately and allow Williams to get time in the guts.

Nice team, though I’d still have Kenners ahead of Caldwell/Hately on the bench - and if Langdon is fit it will be an interesting tussle with Hill for that other forward pocket position. Langdon is more defensive than Hill, Hill is the excitement machine.

Nice team, though I’d still have Kenners ahead of Caldwell/Hately on the bench - and if Langdon is fit it will be an interesting tussle with Hill for that other forward pocket position. Langdon is more defensive than Hill, Hill is the excitement machine.
Yeah I agree with that comparison. On reflection I think I might even have Langdon in over hill in my own best 22. Pre season will be a big factor I reckon

I think we'll play an extra midfielder and rotate 1 through the forward line.
I think the likes of Kennedy, Lloyd and Reid will struggle to hold out the next wave. The likes of Cogs, Ward and Perryman will have more accountable roles, but get their own ball and offer both ways. Thinking like the job Perryman did in the prelim.
I think Shaw is getting close to the end and may lose his spot .
I'm very bullish on Caldwell and although he may not start in the best 22, think he'll finish there.
My concern, there is not many options to give our ruckman a chop out, playing 2 isn't attractive as neither of our first choice ruckman offer a lot up front. Maybe someone like Corr or Himmelberg can fill in. Flynn may be a reasonable forward/ruck option in the back half.
My team (not the team I expect them to name)

Haynes Taylor Shaw
Perryman Davis Williams
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Green Cameron Daniels
Finlayson Himmelberg Cognilo
Jacobs Hopper Dr Boor

Interchange
Taranto, Hill, Corr, Caldwell

I expect Hately, O'Halloran, Cummins plus the guys I mentioned above from last year to get plenty of game time as well

Edited to fix my typo of Taylor in twice. One of the Taylor's was meant to be Perryman

Last edited:
Haynes Davis Shaw
Ward Taylor Whitfield
Kelly Cogs Taranto
Greene Cameron Finlayson
Daniels HH Reid/Hill
Sauce Hopper Williams
DeBoer Hately Corr Caldwell

Close: Kennedy, Cumming, Keeffe, Shipley, Langdon, Mummy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back