Prediction Best 22 in 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Griffen and Higgins can't see a future at the Dogs in 2014 - off you go.
Deledio thinks the Tigers aren't going anywhere in 2016 - see you later.

But it's not even the same thing here. Griffen, Higgins and Deledio would all watch their old teams win flags from their loungerooms with some other team's polo hanging in the cupboard. Hope I'm wrong, but almost certain Tarrant won't do that in the next two years.

Thanks Taz. You were a star. Should have an AA blazer for us. But we're moving forward with or without you. Enjoy your time at the Tigers.

Who does he replace? His hardness around the ball is valuable but we have more skilled players who can offer the same thing. His kicking has always been a problem and it's a problem a lot of those younger guys don't seem to have.
No we don't, except Cunners but even he is a different player.

When we get JHF we will, but then Jed would be the perfect mentor for him in terms of aggressive defensive footy.

I'd have him in that side you picked before Mahoney and Taylor to rotate thru the middle and a bunch of other players too. The only game he's played after a proper ore season this year he was BOG.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
B: Mahony - Mahony - Mahony
HB: Mahony - Mahony - Mahony
C: Mahony - Mahony - Mahony
HF: Mahony - Mahony - Mahony
F: Mahony - Mahony - Mahony
R: Mahony - Mahony - Mahony
I: Mahony - Mahony - Mahony - Mahony
Medical sub: Mahony
Emergencies: Mahony - Mahony - Mahony
I assume you work in some sort of genetic engineering cloning field if so an interesting selection of specimen.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
B: Ziebell McKay McDonald
HB: Hall Corr Perez

C: Powell Davies-Uniacke Anderson

HF: Stephenson Larkey Horne.Francis
F: Thomas Comben Zurhaar

R: Goldstein Cunnington Simpkin

I: Phillips Coleman-Jones Taylor Turner Mahoney Lazzaro Ford

If we get injuries again we’ll finish last. That saying with Robbie going I just hope we cull Atley and Dumont and hit the draft hard.
Lazzaro to replace Anderson on the wing Zieball if he goes replaced By Turner

You're not regenerating the list if you're playing Atley, and crying if an honest, but limited player such as Dumont and a 32yo exercise free-agency. Everyone likes Taz, but if he wants to go - then go. Players who are not elite and have no improvement in them are expendable. Not saying trash them all (Goldstein, Ziebell, Cunnington) but if you don't want to be around then you're better off elsewhere. If we suck in '22 then so be it - we hit another draft and keep building.
Lazzaro to replace Anderson on the wing Zieball if he goes replaced By Turner
Tarrant leaving, Dumont/Atley out of contract, Ziebell yet to sign - helps to bring the youth in but also suggests to me that our lack of depth will be tested just as badly in 2022 now as it has recently.
Losing those bigger bodies just suggests that another bottom 4 finish now is inevitable.

B: Bonar - McKay - Turner
HB: Hall - Corr - Ziebell
C: Powell - Cunnington - McDonald
HF: Stephenson - Coleman Jones - Thomas
F: Zurhaar - Larkey - Francis Horne
R: Goldstein - Simpkin - Davies Uniacke

Int out of: Comben - Phillips - Lazzaro - Ford - Taylor - Mahoney - Anderson - Atu

Jul 8, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
F: Zurhaar - Larkey - Francis Horne
R: Goldstein - Simpkin - Davies Uniacke

Int out of: Comben - Phillips - Lazzaro - Ford - Taylor - Mahoney - Anderson - Atu

Looks a fairly balanced side. Very unsettling though the reliance on McKay now that Taz is gone. If he was to go down, would only really leave Corr (unreliable and coming off zero base) and Walker (honest player, most suited to 3rd tall).
Really lacking another KP defender or even a couple as the reserves could do with a developing player to hold down the fort as there isn’t really anyone else over 6’3 or 6’4 who can play on the talls?
Are there any youngish talls on other lists not yet getting consistent game time? Could Weideman play as a CHB? What about Brander at 196cm? Fisher McAsey at Adelaide? Buku Khamis as a 190cm intercept defender at the dogs? Obviously this will be draft target area but that kid really needs a year in the reserves with an experienced defender around him (E.g. Walker) to develop and bide his time.
I would rather Walker being used as experienced backup rather than reliance on him to play on a tall each week? Especially if Corr or McKay succumb to injury?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
F: Zurhaar - Larkey - JHF
R: Goldstein - Simpkin - LDU

Int: Phillips - Lazzaro - Ford - Walker
Best guess.
Still a bit lopsided I think.
Most of our experience is in our defence.

FootySmartSimpson

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
B:Turner McKay Ziebell
HB: Hall Corr Lazzaro
C: Stephenson LDU Anderson (d. Wing)
HF: Thomas Coleman-Jones H-F
F: Zurhaar Larkey Ford

R: Goldstein Simpkin Cunnington

I: Phillips(M) Powell(M) McDonald(U/B) Scott(U/F)

Last edited:

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
F: Zurhaar - Larkey - JHF
R: Goldstein - Simpkin - LDU

Int: Phillips - Lazzaro - Ford - Walker
Best guess.
Still a bit lopsided I think.
Most of our experience is in our defence.

Jed not in Best 22?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He was the 23rd man for me.
Froggy was 24th.
It was actually pretty hard to do.
So many good forwards and mids.
I think Jed will be best 22 for a couple of years yet - he will play both the forward defensive role and the defensive mid role

You look at Trac and Oliver from the premiers - who have we got that can stop them? It has to be Jed with JHF able to go hard at them in a couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Jed will be best 22 for a couple of years yet - he will play both the forward defensive role and the defensive mid role

You look at Trac and Oliver from the premiers - who have we got that can stop them? It has to be Jed with JHF able to go hard at them in a couple of years.

I would say Jed is best 22 easily, until I do the round 1 side, then I couldn’t find a spot for him. I actually forgot LDU as well on my first go!

Round 1 - Best 22 assuming no injuries

B- Ziebell Mckay Turner

HB- Hall Corr Scott*

W- McDonald Cunners Polec*

HF- Stephenson Larkey JHF

F- Comben CCJ Bull

R- Goldy Simpkin Thomas

Int- WAP Powell Taylor LDU

* Not sold on Polec, but let’s see what he does in this side after a pre season. Scott off half back for some run, but another genuine defender like Bonar, Atu or Perez maybe.

The forward line other than Curtis Taylor picks itself. Maybe Anderson could push for a small forward spot. But otherwise all the other forwards I’ve named will be picked before him as forwards (JHF is a projection, but it would be surprising if he wasn’t playing round 1).

I think the midfielders pick themselves as well. Certainly if one were unavailable due to injury Jed would be straight in.

Bloody exciting to think Jed might not be best 22 automatically.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I assume you work in some sort of genetic engineering cloning field if so an interesting selection of specimen.

A side effect of the cloning process is male pattern baldness. So I picked the guy who would be least effected by this.

Jokes aside, I posted this because it was pissing me off reading so many 22s without him. He's not going anywhere.

I would say Jed is best 22 easily, until I do the round 1 side, then I couldn’t find a spot for him. I actually forgot LDU as well on my first go!

Round 1 - Best 22 assuming no injuries

B- Ziebell Mckay Turner

HB- Hall Corr Scott*

W- McDonald Cunners Polec*

HF- Stephenson Larkey JHF

F- Comben CCJ Bull

R- Goldy Simpkin Thomas

Int- WAP Powell Taylor LDU

* Not sold on Polec, but let’s see what he does in this side after a pre season. Scott off half back for some run, but another genuine defender like Bonar, Atu or Perez maybe.

The forward line other than Curtis Taylor picks itself. Maybe Anderson could push for a small forward spot. But otherwise all the other forwards I’ve named will be picked before him as forwards (JHF is a projection, but it would be surprising if he wasn’t playing round 1).

I think the midfielders pick themselves as well. Certainly if one were unavailable due to injury Jed would be straight in.

Bloody exciting to think Jed might not be best 22 automatically.

Decent team - Jed would walk in over Taylor though and easily play a role over him. Ford is the real danger for a spot up there - he was electric. Polec has talent but a mountain of work to get back in this team. McDonald on a wing... not sure about that one. He also has some work to do to get back to where he was in 2019-20.

I think looking at these teams and projecting forward the interesting task is to look at it and think which locked in positions are more than likely going to need to be replaced by 2023 to have a real shake at the top of the ladder. From your team:

Zeibell
Hall
Polec
Cunnington*
Goldy

That's 5 positions we need to have ready to go by then all of a sudden depth doesn't look so good. Lots to bring in to the team. Cunnington most likely IMO to be still playing good football come 2023+.

Last edited:

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Decent team - Jed would walk in over Taylor though and easily play a role over him. Ford is the real danger for a spot up there - he was electric. Polec has talent but a mountain of work to get back in this team. McDonald on a wing... not sure about that one. He also has some work to do to get back to where he was in 2019-20.

I think looking at these teams and projecting forward the interesting task is to look at it and think which locked in positions are more than likely going to need to be replaced by 2023 to have a real shake at the top of the ladder. From your team:

Zeibell
Hall
Polec
Cunnington*
Goldy

That's 5 positions we need to have ready to go by then all of a sudden depth doesn't look so good. Lots to bring in to the team. Cunnington most likely IMO to be still playing good football come 2023+.

Ford for WAP or Taylor would be my first change and Scott for one of the three others mentioned would be the other. Still not a fan of LMac on a wing but kets see what a pre-season brings.

Ford for WAP or Taylor would be my first change and Scott for one of the three others mentioned would be the other. Still not a fan of LMac on a wing but kets see what a pre-season brings.

Taylor does a lot of team things right, but Ford looked much more dangerous and is a year or so behind Curtis. Taylor needs to hit the gym hard, still has the body of a boy in many ways.

Rockstar6

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Utah Jazz
I think Dumont goes via FA and Polec goes via trade.

B: Ziebell (c), McKay, Turner
HB: Hall, Tarrant, McDonald
C: Stephenson, Davies-Uniacke, Powell
HF: Thomas, Comben, Anderson
F: Zurhaar, Larkey, Ford
FOLL: Goldstein, Cunnington, Simpkin (vc)
INT: Corr, Horne-Francis/pick #1, Mahony, Taylor
MED SUB: Phillips
EMERG: Scott, Bosenavulagi, Bonar, Spicer, Perez (mainly due to knee recovery)

UPDATE:
Tarrant out :( Corr to CHB, Phillips into starting line up and Bailey Scott into medi sub position

BigRedRoo

Club Legend
May 17, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The only way Jed makes it into our best 22 is if he improves his foot skills.

Duck the GOAT

Senior List
Apr 5, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
B: Turner McKay Ziebell
HB: Hall Corr McDonald
C: Powell Simpkin Stephenson
HF: Thomas Comden Horne-Francis
F: Zurhaar Larkey Taylor
R: Goldstein Cunnington Davies-Uniacke
IC: Coleman-Jones Walker Anderson Phillips