HF: Thomas Comden Horne-Francis
F: Zurhaar Larkey Taylor
R: Goldstein Cunnington Davies-Uniacke
IC: Coleman-Jones Walker Anderson Phillips
Medi: Ford
Emer: Polec Mahony Scott Bonar
Hard to argue with that
But Comben not comden

Alright now let’s look to next years best team pre any trades however will allow pick 1 JHF or Callaghan inclusions

B: Turner Mckay Tarrant
HB: Ziebell Corr Hall
C: Powell LDU McDonald
HF: Thomas Comben Sleevo
F: Curtis Larkey Zurhaar
R: Goldy Simpkin cunners
I: Horne Francis/Callaghan, Jed, Bonar, Phillips

Emg: Ford Hayden Mahony J Walker Lazzaro Xerri Perez

I'm feeling very old

ATU MCKAY MCDONALD
HALL CORR ZIEBELL
POLEC CUNNINGTON POWELL
THOMAS COMBEN STEPHENSON
SPICER LARKY ZURHAAR

GOLDSTEIN SIMPKIN DAVIES-UNIAKE

HORNE-FRANCIS PHILLIPS ANDERSON
COLEMAN-JONES
SUB- TAYLOR

EMERG

FORD MAHONY SCOTT EDWARDS

DECENT SPARES

WALKER BONAR LAZZARO PEREZ HAYDEN TURNER

I'd keep ham on the list as he's what we need.

Hopefully a decent key back with pick 20....van rooyed bazzo etc
Or maybe a good half back willmot.

I'd take Tyson stengle in the rookie draft or a late pick in national. Kicked over 45 snags in sanfl in 18 games and only 22. Get around him. Nothing wrong with a line or two

We're probably done now with only Horne-Francis to come in who is guaranteed to play round one so it's probably safe to do this now. I'm assuming Dumont is gone, too.

FB: Bonar - McKay - Ziebell
HB: Hall - Corr - McDonald
C: Stephenson - Cunnington - Powell
HF: Thomas - Comben - Taylor
FF: Mahony - Larkey - Zurhaar
R: Goldstein - Simpkin - Davies-Uniacke

IC: Horne-Francis - Coleman-Jones - Phillips - Walker

EMG: Anderson - Scott - Bosenavulagi - Turner

Next in: Lazzaro, Ford, Young, Atley, Perez*

That was actually a lot tougher than I thought. Maybe a little bit tall with Comben, Larkey and CCJ, but I like the idea of CCJ as that player that can play both forward and ruck, allowing us to always keep our main forward structure ahead of the footy, and let's be honest, who knows if Chom is going to be fit?

I initially had Atu in before I realised I missed Hall. I think Atu gives us some important speed and decent skills from half-back. Likewise Perez. I really hope he has a full preseason and is fit. I think if he's fit then he's in that first 26 or so. Depending on the opposition and matchups, either could come in for Walker as the 7th defender.

And I hated leaving out Turner. I love the way he goes about it, but I really think we have to transition to players that can at least offer something in terms of skills and offensive impact and unfortunately there are others at both ends of the ground who do that better than Kayne. He's really good depth though and he should still play plenty of games next year.

I didn't like leaving out Ford, Anderson and Scott, but we've just got so many options that can go through that midfield/half-forward area. That's easily where competition for places is at its highest and whoever misses out is going to be unlucky.

FB: Bosenavulagi McKay Zieball
HB: Hall Corr Perez
C: Thomas Cunners Scott
HF: Stevo Comben JHF
FF: Spicer Larkey Zurharr

R: Goldy Simpkin LDU

Bench: CCJ Powell Phillips Bonar
Sub: Ford

EMG: Taylor Mahoney Polec Edwards

Obviously that team will never happen but I'd love to see it because I think it would be really fun to watch. Could make a case for those emergencies (plus others that I've definitely forgotten) getting a run though.

Our new era of players is starting to come to fruition . Our spine is looking stronger and our midfield will be pretty *ing good. I feel some Finals coming on in the not to distant future.

Some interesting permutations coming up
Dream outcome is for either CCJ or Edwards to channel their inner Corey Mckernan, plus Comben to get on the park as a solid CHF
Mids are looking fantastic

really really hoping we make some progress with Pick 20 this year on KPD, and then we have to work on serious quality flankers, remember Archer, King, Pickett
LMac we can get away with but the JMac, Dumont, Williams Pittard I think someone used to call them semi-fraud types well we will just not get to the top if that is the best we can do

if the Mids and Fwds click, we can go up the ladder even with a crappy backline, but we need to attract some talent in this and next draft
realistically, if things go to plan , we have Pick1 CCJ ,arguably Corr, and hopefully Pick 20 pressuring the current Best 22
not sure who we can beat but if ALL the young blokes improve, and that is about 8 blokes, I think we will win 6-10 and finish say 11-14

meaning Pick 5 or higher in 2022
and Finals in 2023
thats the plan

Areas of focus for mine:

Luke McDonald - best position? I'm not convinced his precision is good enough for the wing but he brings a lot of hustle to the side generally. Probably best suited to exact role Ziebell has taken.

Josh Walker - like him as a 3rd tall in defence rather than as one of the 2 main men. Could be vulnerable in Tarrant's absence.

TBCs - Bonar, Bosenavulagi , Young - all showed signs but I can't get a handle on their long term prospects.

Jared Polec - the perfect player to take the opposite wing to Stephenson. Assuming he's not out of favour can his body hold up for the next 2-3 years?

Curtis Taylor - gets played every week so clearly the selection committee have something in mind for him. I'm not sure where his best future position lay though. Looked every bit a quality mark and kick medium forward but has been moving around the ground a bit.

Positions vacant - small opportunistic pressure forwards.

I know the selling points of Mahoney and his recorded speeds. I'd have him best 22 in 2022.

However I also know what my eyes see and he's not cut from the Betts, LT, Milne or even Turtle Harding cloth either. Some small forwards with electric lateral movement and the ability to generate multiple scoring shots (LT was elite at that) would be gold at the feet of our 2 talls and marking half-forwards.

I'll have a crack

1st's
FB: BONAR MCKAY TURNER
HB: HALL CORR ZIEBELL
C: MCDONALD DAVIES-UNIACKE STEPHENSON
R: GOLDSTEIN CUNNINGTON SIMPKIN
HF: TAYLOR COMBEN THOMAS
FF:SCOTT LARKEY ZURHAAR
BENCH:COLEMAN-JONES POWELL PHILLIPS ANDERSON

2nd's
FB: PEREZ J.WALKER HAYDEN
HB: BOSENAVULAGI ——— MCGUINESS
C: P.WALKER ———— YOUNG
R: EDWARDS LAZZARO ————-
HF: FORD ———- ———-
FF: SPICER CAMPBELL MAHONY
BENCH: ---------- ------- ———- —————

Not sure yet depending on trades
DUMONT POLEC ATLEY XERRI

I haven't added in any draft picks either.

Hopefully
Either Bonar Perez Young Atu Hayden Scott Taylor Mahony
Or all of them!

grab the opportunity and become good solid Afl players that:
The team can rely on
And more importantly
Don’t get injured

Ziebell (31) McKay (24) Turner (26)
McDonald (27) Corr (27) Hall (31)
Powell (20) Davies-Uniacke (22) Polec (29)
Thomas (22) Comben (20) Horne-Francis (18)
Zurhaar (23) Larkey (23) Stephenson (23)
Goldstein (33) Cunnington (30) Simpkin (24)
IC: Scott (21) Taylor (21) Phillips (19) Coleman-Jones (22)

Tough exercise. A few notes on decision making here;
  • I've assumed Dumont will leave us and we will draft JHF.
  • I like the fact we have an experienced/older backline vs other lines (even with the loss of Tarrant). It's where the poise is most required.
  • Equally, very excited about that young forward line.
  • Some players I wanted to include but ran short of slots - Bonar and Bosenavulagi I really rate at their best, and think they replace Ziebell and Hall respectively over the next two seasons.
  • Polec isn't done. Too much talent.
  • I'd like to see Comben play 15 games up forward this year, while Coleman-Jones and Xerri will battle it out for relief ruck. This allows Goldstein to rest forward where he is so dangerous.
  • Big season for Curtis Taylor coming up. Is he Jack Gunston or Taylor Garner?
  • Turner edges out a few others for lockdown defender on those small forwards. Don't measure his performance on disposals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ziebell (31) McKay (24) Turner (26)
McDonald (27) Corr (27) Hall (31)
Powell (20) Davies-Uniacke (22) Polec (29)
Thomas (22) Comben (20) Horne-Francis (18)
Zurhaar (23) Larkey (23) Stephenson (23)
Goldstein (33) Cunnington (30) Simpkin (24)
IC: Scott (21) Taylor (21) Phillips (19) Coleman-Jones (22)

Tough exercise. A few notes on decision making here;
  • I've assumed Dumont will leave us and we will draft JHF.
  • I like the fact we have an experienced/older backline vs other lines (even with the loss of Tarrant). It's where the poise is most required.
  • Equally, very excited about that young forward line.
  • Some players I wanted to include but ran short of slots - Bonar and Bosenavulagi I really rate at their best, and think they replace Ziebell and Hall respectively over the next two seasons.
  • Polec isn't done. Too much talent.
  • I'd like to see Comben play 15 games up forward this year, while Coleman-Jones and Xerri will battle it out for relief ruck. This allows Goldstein to rest forward where he is so dangerous.
  • Big season for Curtis Taylor coming up. Is he Jack Gunston or Taylor Garner?
  • Turner edges out a few others for lockdown defender on those small forwards. Don't measure his performance on disposals.

No 7th defender. Need to add one of Bonar, Atu, Perez etc

Whats everyones thoughts with CCJ coming in. do we reckon we might be trying to same as doggies 3 tall fwd line Bruce, Naughton English martin in ruck. Us larkey, CCJ, Comben Goldy ruck. If comben comes on he at least is fairly quick for his height and can tackle so at least we dont lose pressure there

Whats everyones thoughts with CCJ coming in. do we reckon we might be trying to same as doggies 3 tall fwd line Bruce, Naughton English martin in ruck. Us larkey, CCJ, Comben Goldy ruck. If comben comes on he at least is fairly quick for his height and can tackle so at least we dont lose pressure there
Could we see CCJ at CHF and Comben at CHB??

“We identified Callum as a player who could really help us, not only as support for ‘Goldy’ (Todd Goldstein), but also for Nick Larkey and our forward group,” Rawlings said.

Yep CCJ Comben and Larkey up forward

CCJ to pinch hit ruck when Goldy rests on bench etc

FB: Perez - McKay - Ziebell
HB: Hall - Corr - McDonald
C: Stephenson - Cunnington - Powell
HF: Thomas - Comben - J Horne-Francis
FF: Coleman-Jones - Larkey - Zurhaar
R: Goldstein - Simpkin - Davies-Uniacke

IC: Mahony - J Anderson - Phillips - K Turner

EMG: Scott - Lazzaro - Walker

Next in: Ford, Spicer, Polec, Taylor

I am very interested to see if Perez and Comben can get going. Both fill an absolute need for us if we can have them injury free. I am really keen on Lazzaro and I am flat I couldn't fit him in, I probably have pinned in a similar role to JHF, T Thomas which i don't think is good for his long term future. Might need to be tried at half back or on a wing as he looks adaptable.

It's a really young team and if we are to lose either Goldy, BC, Jack or Corr for extended periods next year it could really hurt us. As i have mentioned in other threads i'd be looking to keep Dumont and Atley as cover as both players are generally durable and have played across multiple lines.

We will cause teams trouble and it's a very exciting group of 18-23 year old players.

View attachment 1260923
from
I don't mind it.
Reckon this will be just about right, however atu will be interchangeable with hayden, perez, and young dependent on who is in form. Walker may also come in dependent on match ups. I think vs teams such as doggies and west coast we may need to go 3 talls. Mahoney and taylor both most likely fighting for that spot in the pocket aswell.

really want ATU to develop into a best 22 player.
just needs the consistent game time and fitness to run a full game out.

really want ATU to develop into a best 22 player.
just needs the consistent game time and fitness to run a full game out.
I don't really have a good grasp on his best position just yet.
He could fit in in a few different spots.
His speed is a real weapon. We could use it forward defence or even on a wing.

I don't really have a good grasp on his best position just yet.
He could fit in in a few different spots.
His speed is a real weapon. We could use it forward defence or even on a wing.
HBF I reckon.
Seems to have the tackling down pat so could work as a small lockdown defender too.
Has a better chance of making it than Bonar IMO

The more I look at these examples, the more I don't understand why the coaches sound so determined to get a small forward as a first priority above two more solid defenders. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise? Perhaps I'm too bleak, but in all honesty, McKay is the only future prospect I see with confidence in any of these incarnations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back