Strategy Best 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

You want your wingers to be quick and be damaging by foot.

To me Jy is not a winger Taz, I it might depends on where Cunners is at to give us more flexibility.
Agree. I think ideally Philips, Powell and others build over the next 24 months so that Jy can spend less time right in the middle and become that senior leader that can go where they need to. He's damaging pushing forward to goal but rarely had the chance recently due to workload. All going well in 2 years it's LDU's midfield (arguably will be anyway bar Cunners next year) with Jy able to support and damage teams.

B: Corr • McKay • Young
HB: McDonald • Logue • Thomas
C: Scott • Cunnington • Tucker
HF: Stephenson • Coleman-Jones • Sheezel
F: Zurhaar • Larkey • Curtis
Foll: Goldstein • Davies-Uniacke • Simpkin

Int: Phillips • Powell • Taylor • Goater / Perez / Wardlaw
Emergency: Comben • Xerri • Hall • Dawson • Anderson

Okay a couple of caveats;
– This was a lot harder than I expected, which is a good thing, we've finally got some depth and competition for spots.
– Was tough to choose the bench and I've wimped out a bit there.
– I'm working on the assumption that we draft Sheezel & Wardlaw (and that Jed gets a contract).
– I'd prefer Comben instead of CCJ but Charlie must have an injury free pre-season before I'd be prepared to pick him.
– Jack is nowhere near our best 22, it's going to be very interesting to see how Clarko approaches this I could see him paying VFL all year.

Hall is still definitely best 22 for mine.

He is one of few players who breaks lines and takes the game on (yes he makes miatakes), he is well in front of a few listed ^.
There's definitely a case to argue for Hall as best 22, my rationale was based on where Thomas plays and the assumption that Clarko may reinvent him and use him off half-back, if he does then I'd argue he's a lot better by foot that Hall.

Plus given we're in the early stages of a rebuild I'd prefer to get games into younger players like Thomas, Perez, Goater, Curtis (players who will be helping us push for finals) and be less reliant on old experienced heads such as Hall, Anderson, Ziebell etc.

There's definitely a case to argue for Hall as best 22, my rationale was based on where Thomas plays and the assumption that Clarko may reinvent him and use him off half-back, if he does then I'd argue he's a lot better by foot that Hall.

Plus given we're in the early stages of a rebuild I'd prefer to get games into younger players like Thomas, Perez, Goater, Curtis (players who will be helping us push for finals) and be less reliant on old experienced heads such as Hall, Anderson, Ziebell etc.

All good and well explained. May well how Clarko sees it too!

For mine Hall is still ahead of Young (despite his improvement) and a few others. (has Tucker really shown enough to be a guaranteed lock?)

Either way it works out it's great to have competition for spots so it's a great post regardless.

Cheers MLC

All good and well explained. May well how Clarko sees it too!

For mine Hall is still ahead of Young (despite his improvement) and a few others. (has Tucker really shown enough to be a guaranteed lock?)

Either way it works out it's great to have competition for spots so it's a great post regardless.

Cheers MLC
I think so, I don't get the feeling we recruited him to be a fringe player but of course he has to earn his place. I think competition for his spot will come from Curtis Taylor and Josh Goater.

Goater could well have overtaken both of them by this time next year.

I think so, I don't get the feeling we recruited him to be a fringe player but of course he has to earn his place. I think competition for his spot will come from Curtis Taylor and Josh Goater.

Goater could well have overtaken both of them by this time next year.

Oh no I didn't mean to suggest we recruited Tucker to be just fringe, more i see him at that point right now (like many as you've listed)

I just feel Hall is unfairly maligned on here, in a team constantly under attack i think his rebound and attacking game will be more damaging as we (hopefully) improve.

Either way all good and with injuries, form, Clarko’s vision, who knows exactly how it looks which to me is exciting mate.

It almost deserves its own thread, but I'm quite tickled by the sheer diversity of different wing combinations you guys are throwing up.

Marstermind / Hatchy1992 - Sleevo, Goat
the Ziebull / South Island - Tucker, Powell
The Dingrel - Polec, Lazarro
HBFlanker - Scott, Young
tazaa - Sleevo, Jy
PokerRoo - Tucker, Taylor
TheBigHorne - Scott, Sleevo
Heaps of fun / WesternRoo / Psicosis - Goat, Scott

And that's ignoring the many permutations that you guys threw up with Horne-Francis and Hill.

If there was a club award for the least definitive plan for who's gonna own the outside mids for the next five years, we'd be an absolute shoe-in.
Might have something to do with the fact that the list managers want to build a squad which completely neglects one of the most important positions for successful, modern football.

Defensive running and zoning, link up play, marks out of defense, kicks inside fifty and being the 2nd/3rd possession out of a clearance just don’t seem to be prioritised.

Our abysmal record over the last 3 seasons backs this up.

Drafting a swathe of inside mids and saying they’re wingers is like drafting crumbers and calling them wingers.

General/inside mids play a completely different role to wingers. The most successful teams of the last ten years have realised this and either drafted/traded to ensure they can retain possession and move the ball forward.

Speaking of wingers, Oskar Baker has just been delisted by Melbourne. Worth a look?

It almost deserves its own thread, but I'm quite tickled by the sheer diversity of different wing combinations you guys are throwing up.

Marstermind / Hatchy1992 - Sleevo, Goat
the Ziebull / South Island - Tucker, Powell
The Dingrel - Polec, Lazarro
HBFlanker - Scott, Young
tazaa - Sleevo, Jy
PokerRoo - Tucker, Taylor
TheBigHorne - Scott, Sleevo
Heaps of fun / WesternRoo / Psicosis - Goat, Scott

And that's ignoring the many permutations that you guys threw up with Horne-Francis and Hill.

If there was a club award for the least definitive plan for who's gonna own the outside mids for the next five years, we'd be an absolute shoe-in.
if we get tsatas that wing spot is his

sheezel will no doubt rotate through the wing also early on, with his elite endurance and class skills

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Corr McKay LMac
HB: Thomas Logue Hall
C: Scott LDU Taylor
HF: Stevo Larkey Sheezel
F: Curtis Zurhaar Comben
R: Goldy Cunners Simpkin
IC: CCJ Wardlaw Goater Powell Polec
Em: Perez Ford Anderson Young Dawson

B: Corr McKay LMac
HB: Thomas Logue Hall
C: Scott LDU Taylor
HF: Stevo Larkey Sheezel
F: Curtis Zurhaar Comben
R: Goldy Cunners Simpkin
IC: CCJ Wardlaw Goater Powell Polec
Em: Perez Ford Anderson Young Dawson
Missing Phillips, otherwise like it subject to knowing draft picks. Though reckon it will be Sheezel and Wardlaw

B- McDonald McKay Corr
HB- Hall Logue Perez
C- Powell Cunnington Scott
HF- Stephenson Larkey Thomas
F- Curtis Comben Zuurhuar
FOLL- Goldstein Simpkin LDU
I/C- Phillips, Goater, CCJ, Zieball

Emergencies
Xerri, Taylor, Greenwood, Young, Dawson,
Ford, Bonar, Lazzaro

FB: McDonald, McKay, Corr
HB: Hall, Logue, Perez
C: Scott, Cunnington, Tucker
HF: Thomas, Larkey, Taylor
FF: Zurhaar, Coleman-Jones, Curtis
R: Goldstein, Davies-Uniacke, Simpkin
INT: Young, Sheezel, Greenwood, Stephenson | Goater

This is my attempt at an early look at our best 23. I've tried to rely on proven form as much as I can, but our small/medium forward options are so poor/unproven that I can't fathom how Sheezel wouldn't be picked ahead of Mahony, Spicer, and Ford as the 7th forward.

As a supporter, you're hoping Comben can overtake Coleman-Jones, but as of this moment, I think he is starting from way back. You'd also ideally want Phillips or Powell to overtake Greenwood. You can potentially throw Wardlaw/Tsatas into that group as well.

Dawson vs Young is another battle to watch for the 7th defender spot, while Perez is in the side as long as Clarkson can't think of anything more creative to do with that second flank spot (Thomas, Stephenson, Goater etc). I've also added Goater, because why not. He is so flexible that I think it makes sense to include him as the potential 23rd man or medical sub.

FB: McDonald, McKay, Corr
HB: Hall, Logue, Perez
C: Scott, Cunnington, Tucker
HF: Thomas, Larkey, Taylor
FF: Zurhaar, Coleman-Jones, Curtis
INT: Young, Sheezel, Greenwood, Stephenson | Goater

This is my attempt at an early look at our best 23. I've tried to rely on proven form as much as I can, but our small/medium forward options are so poor/unproven that I can't fathom how Sheezel wouldn't be picked ahead of Mahony, Spicer, and Ford as the 7th forward.

As a supporter, you're hoping Comben can overtake Coleman-Jones, but as of this moment, I think he is starting from way back. You'd also ideally want Phillips or Powell to overtake Greenwood. You can potentially throw Wardlaw/Tsatas into that group as well.

Dawson vs Young is another battle to watch for the 7th defender spot, while Perez is in the side as long as Clarkson can't think of anything more creative to do with that second flank spot (Thomas, Stephenson, Goater etc). I've also added Goater, because why not. He is so flexible that I think it makes sense to include him as the potential 23rd man or medical sub.
No Powell, Phillips, Wardlaw? Surely they are on the bench ahead of Greenwood and Young?

Respectfully disagree on Comben versus CCJ. I think Comben is well ahead as a pure forward and can see him lining up in round 1 at CHF. CCJ could be on the bench as 2nd ruck.

FB: McDonald, McKay, Perez
HB: Hall, Logue, Scott
C: Goater, Cunnington, Polec
HF: Thomas, Comben, Stephenson
FF: Zurhaar, Larkey , Curtis
INT: Phillips, Powell, Corr, #2/3 Draft Pick

EMG: Anderson, Taylor, #2/3 Pick not on bench, CJJ, Bergman, Spicer, Xerri, Ford, Bonar, Greenwood, Lazzaro, Archer, Edwards, Ziebell, Mahoney, C.Harvey Dawson………………Young, (in this order)

No Powell, Phillips, Wardlaw? Surely they are on the bench ahead of Greenwood and Young?

Respectfully disagree on Comben versus CCJ. I think Comben is well ahead as a pure forward and can see him lining up in round 1 at CHF. CCJ could be on the bench as 2nd ruck.

I'd love for one of those three to overtake Greenwood this preseason, but he is ahead of them all for now. His form post-bye was strong enough that he deserves the spot. Meanwhile, Phillips has missed two out of the last three years, Powell had major second-year blues and Wardlaw will likely be a slow burn.

That spot is currently 70/30 between Greenwood and Powell, but with a strong preseason, Powell should play round one.

I don't think Young is relevant here. I don't believe there is any AFL side that gets away with playing only six defenders.

Comben has twelve career disposals. I won't deny his upside, but I don't think he should be pencilled into the best 22 this early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back