Strategy Best 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Really interested to see how we use Dawson this year. He’s a good size and has good pace, but the recruitment of Logue makes it hard for him down back.

I’d like to see us trial him on a wing where he can use his pace and give us a tall option coming out of the back half.
There's a non-zero chance he goes past Corr this year.

Aaron Hall is best 22.

Over and out.

5 on the bench?

Why don't we just have 10 and be done with it.
Why not have the whole list available for game day but have a rule where at least 35 players have to be on the field by games end and you can only make ten interchanges.

Not sure I agree with the AFL.com best 22 for us.

I'm going to go with:

FB: Corr McKay Young
HB: Perez Logue McDonald
CL: Scott Cunnington Tucker
HF: Thomas Comben Curtis
FF: Sheezel Larkey Zurhaar
RR: Goldstein, LDU, Simpkin
IB: Stepho, Goater, Taylor, Phillips

Greenwood may get in ahead of Phillips

No Hall, Ziebell, Coleman-Jones though

See how we go

Not sure I agree with the AFL.com best 22 for us.

I'm going to go with:

FB: Corr McKay Young
HB: Perez Logue McDonald
CL: Scott Cunnington Tucker
HF: Thomas Comben Curtis
FF: Sheezel Larkey Zurhaar
RR: Goldstein, LDU, Simpkin
IB: Stepho, Goater, Taylor, Phillips

Greenwood may get in ahead of Phillips

No Hall, Ziebell, Coleman-Jones though

See how we go
Powell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually no it isn't.

Hall is best 22 clearly, it's not his fault his team-mates can't keep up or provide an option.
He’s lucky to get a contract 32 injury prone and we are rebuilding
He doesn’t provide leadership, is a one way player and his skills are fairly average

I'm extremely surprised people are writing off Hall, and selecting Jack.

I know which one is in my team and it isn't even close.
Agree
Hall if he can remain fit still has a position across half back / run n carry / meters gained role which suits the modern game .
Jack … the modern game has sadly just gone past Jack unfortunately.
Where can you possibly play him ? He has no position in our back line , forward line … (not to mention our midfield) ….
I’m getting images from another well known past player who just played the 1-2 extra seasons at the dogs . (The smiling assassin- Brad Johnson ) ….
You had to feel kinda sorry for him at the time …. Really looked like an old man playing against boys ….

The 'best 6' back line is looking quite alot better balanced than previous years

B. LMac BMac Corr
HB. Hall Logue Goater

Good run, good height and ability to lock down where needed. The 7th defender would be Young who can fill a variety of backline positions.

The best 6 midfield also looks ok on paper

C. Sleevo Cunners Scott
R Goldy LDU Jy

Good on the inside, skill on the outside - plenty of run and carry. LDU's progression will be the key here - we need a genuine A grader outside of Cunners. Phillips and Powell will be the 7th and 8th mids; CCJ the extra ruck.

The forward 6 is a work in progress and clearly our weakest link

HF Tucker Comben TT
F Curtis Larkey Zurhaar

The names look ok but the structure lacks a genuine crumbing forward, relies on Comben being fit and progressing in ability and TT recapturing form.

We have a chance to add to our forward line over the next 4 weeks - Sheezel would provide X factor but another high quality key forward is the key ingredient missing. Even just a journeyman KPF would be a bonus on our list.

The 23rd player is Curtis Taylor - maybe Wardlaw if we pick him.

With Clarko on board we will improve on last year (it would be hard not to) but our ability to generate large enough scores still looks poor and I suspect we will be bottom 4 again (however with a much better % and around 6 wins.)

Young had a decent year - he is very ordinary but then that's good enough apparently.

Now we have posters saying Hall is not as good as Young?

It's fine, just yeah, the point of supporting a team is you hope you win. Isn't that the point?

Well, if that is indeed correct, why are so many best 22s filled will players are C grade or delisted soon?

Young had a decent year - he is very ordinary but then that's good enough apparently.

It's fine, just yeah, the point of supporting a team is you hope you win. Isn't that the point?

Well, if that is indeed correct, why are so many best 22s filled will players are C grade or delisted soon?
Not sure they are comparable as players.
Young is a pretty decent defender, Hall is weak.
Hall provides good drive, Young not much.
Young is ... young, Hall is in the twilight.

Ziebell is the definition of 'banged up'

Last memory of him will be cracking his collar bone against Jordan Dawson going for the hip and shoulder hahaha 👍

Best 23

B: McDonald Mckay Corr
HB: Goater Logue Hall
C: Scott LDU Tucker
HF: Curtis Comben Thomas
F: CCJ Larkey Zurhaar
R:Goldy Cunners Simpkin
Int: Young Taylor Powell Phillips Stephenson

hall is better than Young but I really liked the look of our ball movement with Perez and Goater in that last game. Be good to have those three competing for spots imo.

Always hard at this time of year.

Mids are a Lock: Goldy, LDU, Cunners and Simpkin.

Back Line
Locks: McKay, Logue,
3rd Tall one of: Corr, or Dawson

this is where it gets hard as they all offer something and have all shown something. Plus some guys can push up onto a wing.
2 x HBF and 1 Small: Hall, Goater, Perez, Archer, Young, Bonar, Bergman or LMac.

2 x Wings plus 2 x HHF could be any combination of these:
Scott, Tucker, Taylor, Polec, Stevo, Thomas, Phillips, Powell

Forwards
Locks: Larkey, Zurhaar, Curtis
2nd tall one of: Comden, CCJ or Xerri

Bench: Resting ruck plus mmmmm,...

So I've come up with:

B: Archer McKay Corr
HB: Goater Logue Hall
C: Scott LDU McDonald
HF: Taylor Comben Thomas
F: Curtis Larkey Zurhaar
R:Goldy Cunners Simpkin
Int: Young Phillips Powell CCJ

NKOTB are going to have to earn their spot. And the pressure is on those in the side, with Tucker, Bonar, Stevo, Dawson, JZ, Mahony, Ford and Perez all pushing for spots.

And FMD if this is a bottom 4 side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back