Bowes SDK Zuthrie
Stewart JHenry Kolo
Smith Holmes Blicavs
Close Cameron Miers
Rohan Hawkins Stengle
Stanley Dangerfield Cuthrie
Atkins Duncan OHenry MOC
Emg: Sav Bruhn Tuohy Bews Simpson i think one of these 5 is the sub
Dempsey Parfitt and Clark the next rung below that.
Ceglar cover for Stanley

I'll take that side but Bews in the back pocket for Bowes.

Bowes is a better all-round player but I'll have Bews there as a pure dangerous small forward stopper/shutterdownerer.

Obviously the final side would depend on the opposition though.

Stengle is an important cog in the machine. A tad selfish perhaps, but all good teams need a small forward who knows where the goals are. Miers and Close are good but not classic goal kickers. Stengle only needs 5 kicks to kick 5 goals. He won’t always produce, but he is the sort of player that gives oppo coaches nightmares. Leave him out at your peril.
Simpson has been good but not a pure forward. Certainly a logjam up forward when he and Rohan become available.

Stengle is an important cog in the machine. A tad selfish perhaps, but all good teams need a small forward who knows where the goals are. Miers and Close are good but Stengle only needs 5 kicks to kick 5 goals. He won’t always produce, but he is the sort of player that gives oppo coaches nightmares. Leave him out at your peril.
Simpson has been good but not a pure forward. Certainly a logjam up forward when he and Rohan become available.

Lmao who’s leaving stengle out of the best 22?

Stengle is an important cog in the machine. A tad selfish perhaps, but all good teams need a small forward who knows where the goals are. Miers and Close are good but not classic goal kickers. Stengle only needs 5 kicks to kick 5 goals. He won’t always produce, but he is the sort of player that gives oppo coaches nightmares. Leave him out at your peril.
The Stengle of 2022 for sure gets a 'guaranteed' game PERIOD but not necessarily the Stengle of 2023, if so (a guaranteed game) you are setting a dangerous precedence, we have too many players coming on strong. None the less, he'll quiet rightly get first opportunity and ample time when he comes back from injury to display his craft and get back to the Stengle of 2022 and the player we became to love, which is what we'll be all expecting.

We have a logjam at either end if we have everyone available. Which is why I think we are a good chance at back to back.

If you count Dempsey (which is a stretch given inexperience) and Simpson (who has done all he can) we have 9 forwards that I think match committee would be ok with in the best 22 (Hawkins, Cameron, Henry, Rohan, Stengle, Miers, Close, Simpson, Dempsey) and only have room for 7 (given we also use Smith, 2E, Bowes etc rotating through).

In the backline we also have 9-10 (SDK, Sav, Henry, Stewart, Kolo, Zuthrie, Bews, Bowes, 2E, MOC) and again probably have room for 8 (given a couple can rotate elsewhere).

In the middle maybe we aren’t quite as deep but still have 9 that I think would do (Danger, Guthrie, Atkins, Smith, Holmes, Blitz, Stanley, Bruhn, Mitch) and still a couple of backups (Parf, Ceglar) to fill the 8 spots “left” in the 23..

Have 28 trying to get to 23 (and that is leaving Parf out which might be harsh)

So we need to lose 2 forwards and 1-2 backs and 1-2 mids). Dempsey and Mitch first out (and maybe stretch to have then in that wider group) and then maybe Simpson but still have 3 very good players going to be squeezed out (on top of Parf)…

What it does mean though is we can have 2-3 injuries and it may not impact us (as long as it isn’t our Key players)

A very good position to be in. We should try and get a number of games into Mitch, Dempsey, Bruhn, Simpson so that if we have late season injuries (which we did not have last year) we do the soldier out soldier in type thing

EDIT: Kitcat pointed out that I missed Duncan who is first choice defender. So that line got holder and we need to squeeze another one out…

Last edited:
We have a logjam at either end if we have everyone available. Which is why I think we are a good chance at back to back.

If you count Dempsey (which is a stretch given inexperience) and Simpson (who has done all he can) we have 9 forwards that I think match committee would be ok with in the best 22 (Hawkins, Cameron, Henry, Rohan, Stengle, Miers, Close, Simpson, Dempsey) and only have room for 7 (given we also use Smith, 2E, Bowes etc rotating through).

In the backline we also have 9-10 (SDK, Sav, Henry, Stewart, Kolo, Zuthrie, Bews, Bowes, 2E, MOC) and again probably have room for 8 (given a couple can rotate elsewhere).

In the middle maybe we aren’t quite as deep but still have 9 that I think would do (Danger, Guthrie, Atkins, Smith, Holmes, Blitz, Stanley, Bruhn, Mitch) and still a couple of backups (Parf, Ceglar) to fill the 8 spots “left” in the 23..

Have 28 trying to get to 23 (and that is leaving Parf out which might be harsh)

So we need to lose 2 forwards and 1-2 backs and 1-2 mids). Dempsey and Mitch first out (and maybe stretch to have then in that wider group) and then maybe Simpson but still have 3 very good players going to be squeezed out (on top of Parf)…

What it does mean though is we can have 2-3 injuries and it may not impact us (as long as it isn’t our Key players)

A very good position to be in. We should try and get a number of games into Mitch, Dempsey, Bruhn, Simpson so that if we have late season injuries (which we did not have last year) we do the soldier out soldier in type thing
Is Duncan in your lists?

Is Duncan in your lists?
He should be!! Problem when you do these late at night you always worry you miss one.

I did have a nagging feeling that the defence choices were going to be harder than I had put in….!

Here’s one way to look at it:

Absolute 🔒s

1. Stanley
5. Cameron
7. Smith
8. Kolodjashnij
9. Holmes
16. Sam De Koning
24. Jed Bews
26. Tom Hawkins
30. Tom Atkins
32. Gryan Miers
35. Patrick Dangerfield
38. Jack Henry
39. Zach Guthrie
42. Mark O’Connor
44. Tom Stewart
45. Brad Close
46. Mark Blicavs

Query over 2023 form cloud but runs on the board and near 🔒s

2. Zach Tuohy
18. Tyson Stengle
22. Mitch Duncan
29. Cameron Guthrie

Facing competition for spots but good form makes strong best 23 case

12. Jack Bowes
17. Esava Ratugolea
23. Gary Rohan
36. Oliver Henry
37. Sam Simpson

Mixed form and/or development = probably not best 23 but could replace for injury/unavailability

3. Brandan Parfitt
4. Tanner Bruhn
10. Mitchell Knevitt
11. Cooper Whyte
15. Jonathan Ceglar
27. Sam Menegola (* on this list due to injury uncertainty)
28. Ollie Dempsey
33. Shannon Neale

Not in current mix for best 23

6. Toby Conway
13. Jhye Clark
19. Phoenix Foster
20. James Willis
21. Osca Riccardi
25. Flynn Kroeger
31. Oscar Murdoch
34. Oisin Mullin
40. Ted Clohesy

Absolute 🔒s

1. Stanley
5. Cameron
7. Smith
8. Kolodjashnij
9. Holmes
16. Sam De Koning
24. Jed Bews
26. Tom Hawkins
30. Tom Atkins
32. Gryan Miers
35. Patrick Dangerfield
38. Jack Henry
39. Zach Guthrie
42. Mark O’Connor
44. Tom Stewart
45. Brad Close
46. Mark Blicavs

2. Zach Tuohy
18. Tyson Stengle
22. Mitch Duncan
29. Cameron Guthrie

12. Jack Bowes
17. Esava Ratugolea
23. Gary Rohan
36. Oliver Henry
37. Sam Simpson

Mixed form and/or development = probably not best 23 but could replace for injury/unavailability

3. Brandan Parfitt
4. Tanner Bruhn
10. Mitchell Knevitt
11. Cooper Whyte
15. Jonathan Ceglar
28. Ollie Dempsey
33. Shannon Neale

6. Toby Conway
13. Jhye Clark
19. Phoenix Foster
20. James Willis
21. Osca Riccardi
25. Flynn Kroeger
31. Oscar Murdoch
34. Oisin Mullin
40. Ted Clohesy

Get your top two lists along with any two from your third lot on the park and I'll be a very happy camper.

Absolute 🔒s

1. Stanley
5. Cameron
7. Smith
8. Kolodjashnij
9. Holmes
16. Sam De Koning
24. Jed Bews
26. Tom Hawkins
30. Tom Atkins
32. Gryan Miers
35. Patrick Dangerfield
38. Jack Henry
39. Zach Guthrie
42. Mark O’Connor
44. Tom Stewart
45. Brad Close
46. Mark Blicavs

2. Zach Tuohy
18. Tyson Stengle
22. Mitch Duncan
29. Cameron Guthrie

12. Jack Bowes
17. Esava Ratugolea
23. Gary Rohan
36. Oliver Henry
37. Sam Simpson

3. Brandan Parfitt
4. Tanner Bruhn
10. Mitchell Knevitt
11. Cooper Whyte
15. Jonathan Ceglar
28. Ollie Dempsey
33. Shannon Neale

6. Toby Conway
13. Jhye Clark
19. Phoenix Foster
20. James Willis
21. Osca Riccardi
25. Flynn Kroeger
31. Oscar Murdoch
34. Oisin Mullin
40. Ted Clohesy
Good lists

so you have 17 in the ”lock in” so we need 6 from the rest. In the next two buckets you have 9 players. so with less than 3 injuries we don’t need to get to the development group.

Frankly in that top 26 it is hard to see who misses out…other than form at the time or maybe ”team balance”. Again we seem well placed I reckon!

You can see how the coaches often say we genuinely have 30 players who they have confidence in can play AFL as needed - easily

Only one IMO that I would move up is Tanner…maybe he hasn’t got there yet but I reckon when you re-do this list in 2 months time he will at least be in the “good form…” part.

What will be great pre bye is to get a few games into those outside the top 26 - both to have back ups for a handful of late season injuries but also looking forward to 2024

As as aside when I look at the locks and then the near locks and good form…I can see that we might have a handful possibly not go around again in 2024 so we do need those development players to be pushing through.

Surely "BEST" 22 means the best 22 at their best.
That must include Stengle, Cam Guthrie, Duncan, Tuohy.
If fit enough to play, they get selected, along with your top list

Absolute 🔒s

1. Stanley
5. Cameron
7. Smith
8. Kolodjashnij
9. Holmes
16. Sam De Koning
24. Jed Bews
26. Tom Hawkins
30. Tom Atkins
32. Gryan Miers
35. Patrick Dangerfield
38. Jack Henry
39. Zach Guthrie
42. Mark O’Connor
44. Tom Stewart
45. Brad Close
46. Mark Blicavs

2. Zach Tuohy
18. Tyson Stengle
22. Mitch Duncan
29. Cameron Guthrie

12. Jack Bowes
17. Esava Ratugolea
23. Gary Rohan
36. Oliver Henry
37. Sam Simpson

3. Brandan Parfitt
4. Tanner Bruhn
10. Mitchell Knevitt
11. Cooper Whyte
15. Jonathan Ceglar
28. Ollie Dempsey
33. Shannon Neale

6. Toby Conway
13. Jhye Clark
19. Phoenix Foster
20. James Willis
21. Osca Riccardi
25. Flynn Kroeger
31. Oscar Murdoch
34. Oisin Mullin
40. Ted Clohesy

Absolute 🔒s

1. Stanley
5. Cameron
7. Smith
8. Kolodjashnij
9. Holmes
16. Sam De Koning
24. Jed Bews
26. Tom Hawkins
30. Tom Atkins
32. Gryan Miers
35. Patrick Dangerfield
38. Jack Henry
39. Zach Guthrie
42. Mark O’Connor
44. Tom Stewart
45. Brad Close
46. Mark Blicavs

2. Zach Tuohy
18. Tyson Stengle
22. Mitch Duncan
29. Cameron Guthrie

12. Jack Bowes
17. Esava Ratugolea
23. Gary Rohan
36. Oliver Henry
37. Sam Simpson

3. Brandan Parfitt
4. Tanner Bruhn
10. Mitchell Knevitt
11. Cooper Whyte
15. Jonathan Ceglar
28. Ollie Dempsey
33. Shannon Neale

6. Toby Conway
13. Jhye Clark
19. Phoenix Foster
20. James Willis
21. Osca Riccardi
25. Flynn Kroeger
31. Oscar Murdoch
34. Oisin Mullin
40. Ted Clohesy
Holy moly, when I said do your homework I didn't think it'd generate this! Well done.

Surely "BEST" 22 means the best 22 at their best.
That must include Stengle, Cam Guthrie, Duncan, Tuohy.
If fit enough to play, they get selected, along with your top list
I don’t think anyone would argue those players too are 🔒s when at their best. I think it makes it a bit more meaningful to consider what we are facing right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think anyone would argue those players too are 🔒s when at their best. I think it makes it a bit more meaningful to consider what we are facing right now.
True.
Right now though= way too many injuries, including Stanley, Jack Henry, Danger, DEK...

I don’t think there is any chance that Sav is not a lock at the moment. Has polled coaches votes in about 3 or 4 games so if he keeps this up he’s not going out. Kolo who I think has been good this year, might be the unlucky one if Jack Henry can get back and play to his best.

I don’t think there is any chance that Sav is not a lock at the moment. Has polled coaches votes in about 3 or 4 games so if he keeps this up he’s not going out. Kolo who I think has been good this year, might be the unlucky one if Jack Henry can get back and play to his best.

The key words one your first sentence are, "at the moment"

When/If we get all bour regular first choice taller defender options available at the same time - SDK, J. Henry & Kolodjashnij, then the coaches will have a real decision on their hands:

- Does Ratugolea keep his spot over another tall defender option, or even a shorter option like Bews or O'Connor potentially in trouble?, ir

- Or, do they stick with the premiership winning trio. I know JK doesn't have the flash of ER, but he's one of our most reliable defenders where he rarely plays a down match & really seems to have elevated his game since the finals last year

WIthout any injuries to the team I'd want to see Jack Henry smash out some good VFL games before coming in.

But with so many unavailable... Maybe he come straight in as soon as he is ready.

By the time he is ready we might have plenty more troops available so things could change.

Anyway, I don't see us not playing Kolo in any way other than he just puts up a bunch of terrible games.

But I guess this is a best 22 thread and clearly a fit J Henry is best 22.

Time will tell what happens with Sav but I don't see him going out of the side either (assuming he continues to improve).

I didn't mention last year that if we took Busslinger in the draft that maybe it would open up the opportunity for SDK to one day turn key forward.

Maybe Sav being in the team unlocks that... or SDK plays that roaming ruck more often.

Either way... Having that one extra key back does give us options long term with SDK.

I have no clue what they'll do with a fit list... But having Sav playing solid footy (and hopefully becoming better) does give us more options to explore with SDK.

Last edited:
No way. Surely you have supported the Cats long enough to know that Kolo is highly regarded and a pivotal player, as is Sav now.
JH can play anywhere.

No way. Surely you have supported the Cats long enough to know that Kolo is highly regarded and a pivotal player, as is Sav now.
JH can play anywhere.
I think we will need two tall KPD’s to combat top 4 teams so SDK and ER plus Kolo/ Stewart/ Zuthrie/ Bews and Duncan/ Tuohy at times.
Jack H to become a swing man as you have noted.
Good problems to have….

JH can play anywhere.
Surely you have followed the Cats long enough to know that Kolo has never had as much competition for his spot as he does now. I have no issue with Kolo being in the side and he has been good but If we have a full list come finals some very good footballers will have to miss. Past form doesn’t guarantee future success, just ask poor old Sammy Menagola who was on the verge of AA and misses out on a Premiership 2 years later.
30 doesn’t go into 23 and Sav wasn’t in my best 23 at the start of the year but he is definitely playing himself into consideration. He has polled coaches votes in 3 games thus far. If he continues this trajectory he will have 9 games on the eve of the GF and can’t be left out of anyone’s side or he could have a couple of bags kicked on him and find himself kicking off the dew in the VFL. This is a great debate to have as noone has the right answers now and not likely to until the time comes.
It’s an exciting time to be a
cats fan and any combination of 23 will be great to watch at the business end.

Surely you have followed the Cats long enough to know that Kolo has never had as much competition for his spot as he does now. I have no issue with Kolo being in the side and he has been good but If we have a full list come finals some very good footballers will have to miss. Past form doesn’t guarantee future success, just ask poor old Sammy Menagola who was on the verge of AA and misses out on a Premiership 2 years later.
30 doesn’t go into 23 and Sav wasn’t in my best 23 at the start of the year but he is definitely playing himself into consideration. He has polled coaches votes in 3 games thus far. If he continues this trajectory he will have 9 games on the eve of the GF and can’t be left out of anyone’s side or he could have a couple of bags kicked on him and find himself kicking off the dew in the VFL. This is a great debate to have as noone has the right answers now and not likely to until the time comes.
Your point about Sav has validity. There's just no universe in which Kolo would be the one to make way. Duncan will be moved wing/half forward and in this form Tuohy might make way. So the defenders could be: Sav, SDK, Kolo, Z.Guthrie, Bews, Stewart. J.Henry and O'Connor more as utilities. One of Rohan and O.Henry as the sub.

True, and as we have seen presently, injuries are going to sort this out all season it seems.
Kolo is a keeper in my team anyway

From last night’s team I have

In: Dangerfield, Duncan, Holmes, Stanley
Out: Knevitt, Bruhn, Mullin, Ceglar

B: Bews De Koning Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart J Henry Z Guthrie
C: Duncan Dangerfield Smith
HF: Close Cameron Miers
F: Stengle Hawkins Rohan
R: Stanley Blicavs Holmes
Int: Atkins O Henry O’Connor Tuohy
Em: Knevitt Bruhn Ratugolea Ceglar Bowes