Remove this Banner Ad

FB Henry De Koning Bews
HB Stewart Kolodjashnij Tuohy
C Smith Bruhn Holmes
HF Close Cameron Miers
FF Rohan Hawkins Stengle
Fol Stanley Dangerfield Blicavs
Int Z.Guthrie Atkins Bowes O.Henry

Our midfield isn't going to be offensively strong, My aim is to maximise running power where ever possible even though we won't be the fittest team. We have a few structural shortcuts inherited from last year that will help us move the ball. If we can win the ball back, our win condition is to be more efficient on the counter, our forward will take their chances more often then the opposition.

Guthrie isn't getting back in time to build up the kind of form needed to hold up a midfield. Dangerfield will be covering a lot of offensive hard work.

I've chosen against Duncan and Guthrie as I think we have enough footskills, we'll be objectively weaker than we were last year but our team is pretty stacked in that regards so I don't think we need to compromise running power to gain more.

Individual Selections

I've chosen against Ratugolea, once we intercept the ball we're going to need to move it quick, giving him an easy option just gives the opposition more time to set up.

Bowes over O.Connor, as I think we can play him in every line, has more creativity with ball use, a little extra since we are going without Duncan and Guthrie won't hurt.

Bews over O'Connor, as I think we then have enough flexibility, Bews is the better stopper.

Chose O.Henry as he has no real competition for that spot, it was him v Duncan. At this stage I don't think Duncan can play anywhere else than off half back.

FB Henry De Koning Bews
HB Stewart Kolodjashnij Tuohy
C Smith Bruhn Holmes
HF Close Cameron Miers
FF Rohan Hawkins Stengle
Fol Stanley Dangerfield Blicavs
Int Z.Guthrie Atkins Bowes O.Henry

Our midfield isn't going to be offensively strong, My aim is to maximise running power where ever possible even though we won't be the fittest team. We have a few structural shortcuts inherited from last year that will help us move the ball. If we can win the ball back, our win condition is to be more efficient on the counter, our forward will take their chances more often then the opposition.

Guthrie isn't getting back in time to build up the kind of form needed to hold up a midfield. Dangerfield will be covering a lot of offensive hard work.

I've chosen against Duncan and Guthrie as I think we have enough footskills, we'll be objectively weaker than we were last year but our team is pretty stacked in that regards so I don't think we need to compromise running power to gain more.

Individual Selections

I've chosen against Ratugolea, once we intercept the ball we're going to need to move it quick, giving him an easy option just gives the opposition more time to set up.

Bowes over O.Connor, as I think we can play him in every line, has more creativity with ball use, a little extra since we are going without Duncan and Guthrie won't hurt.

Bews over O'Connor, as I think we then have enough flexibility, Bews is the better stopper.

Chose O.Henry as he has no real competition for that spot, it was him v Duncan. At this stage I don't think Duncan can play anywhere else than off half back.

Duncan should play in front of both Tuohy and O.Henry. Assuming he comes back fit, he’s a lock.

From last night’s team I have

In: Dangerfield, Duncan, Holmes, Stanley
Out: Knevitt, Bruhn, Mullin, Ceglar

B: Bews De Koning Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart J Henry Z Guthrie
C: Duncan Dangerfield Smith
HF: Close Cameron Miers
F: Stengle Hawkins Rohan
R: Stanley Blicavs Holmes
Int: Atkins O Henry O’Connor Tuohy
Em: Knevitt Bruhn Ratugolea Ceglar Bowes

Cam Guthrie replaces…? O’Connor?

Im not convinced guthrie will be back at all this year but in that scenario he replaces either oconnor or bews (moc can play back pocket if bews is dropped).

Other than that i agree with your side albeit that i think they will try to squeeze sav in (gulp) and i think bruhn and knevitt are real stiff..i think tuohy is vulnerable as is bews. Im also not sure we can squeeze rohan and ollie in the same side but i think both are too good to leave out. Good problems to have.

Duncan should play in front of both Tuohy and O.Henry. Assuming he comes back fit, he’s a lock.

Depends on his body though hes had a very limited pre season he needs to be in good nick physically (duncan) to be in.

B: O’Connor, De Koning, Z.Guthrie
HB: Stewart, J.Henry, Duncan
C: Smith, Blicavs, Holmes
HF: Close, Cameron, Miers
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Rohan

Foll: Stanley, Dangerfield, Atkins

Int: Kolojashnij, Bowes, Bruhn, Tuohy

Hoping like hell that C.Guthrie gets back.

Ollie henry?

Not for me. He needs to improve a few aspects of his game before I consider him in our best 22
He’s in ahead of Bowes for me because of point of difference. He has already shown to be valuable as a goal kicker and in clutch moments.

He’s in ahead of Bowes for me because of point of difference. He has already shown to be valuable as a goal kicker and in clutch moments.

Bowes is more versatile - can play back, midfield and as a HFF. Prior to injury was looking like he was settling in. Ollie’s atm a one trick pony. If the ball hits the ground he’s next to useless. Has no core or upper body strength. With Rohan back in I don’t see him as a critical need. If C.Guthrie doesn’t make it back, Bowes usefulness is even greater.

Sub?

Bowes is more versatile - can play back, midfield and as a HFF. Prior to injury was looking like he was settling in. Ollie’s atm a one trick pony. If the ball hits the ground he’s next to useless. Has no core or upper body strength. With Rohan back in I don’t see him as a critical need. If C.Guthrie doesn’t make it back, Bowes usefulness is even greater.
Hard disagree from me. Bowes hasn’t shown himself to be strong in any one area/position. Versatility is his one wood which is meh.

Meanwhile Henry has kicked 18 goals and has shown himself to be important in big moments (like last night).

I think ollie is and thats the case for keeping hin in is he can impact with minimal touches in clutch moments.

But we have 6 forwards (hawk jez rohan plus the 3 smalls) who are locked in (imo) so if he is the 7th there is a structural issue around how you fit them all in and one less midfield rotation. Which is why i think if ollie stays in (which i think he should as it gives us maximum firepower) then one of sav moc or bews needs to be out so you can use that one less defender spot to have an extra midfielder (rather than dropping ollie for the extra mid rotation). Because our MF is already thin and therefore we need as many rotations through there as possible i do think thats an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard disagree from me. Bowes hasn’t shown himself to be strong in any one area/position. Versatility is his one wood which is meh.

Meanwhile Henry has kicked 18 goals and has shown himself to be important in big moments (like last night).

I’ll give him kudos for kicking the 18 goals. He does bob up for 1-2/game. But that’s about all you get out of him atm. He needs a solid summer in the gym.

See how Bowes is in another month. With our midfield woes, I’m tipping him to be part of a group we are taking into September. Atm it’s very thin and I think he’ll be ahead of Knevitt (as he should be) and probably Bruhn.

I think ollie is and thats the case for keeping hin in is he can impact with minimal touches in clutch moments.

But we have 6 forwards (hawk jez rohan plus the 3 smalls) who are locked in (imo) so if he is the 7th there is a structural issue around how you fit them all in and one less midfield rotation. Which is why i think if ollie stays in (which i think he should as it gives us maximum firepower) then one of sav moc or bews needs to be out so you can use that one less defender spot to have an extra midfielder (rather than dropping ollie for the extra mid rotation). Because our MF is already thin and therefore we need as many rotations through there as possible i do think thats an issue.
I think it’s conventional to have a 7th forward on the bench.

I’ll give him kudos for kicking the 18 goals. He does bob up for 1-2/game. But that’s about all you get out of him atm. He needs a solid summer in the gym.

See how Bowes is in another month. With our midfield woes, I’m tipping him to be part of a group we are taking into September. Atm it’s very thin and I think he’ll be ahead of Knevitt (as he should be) and probably Bruhn.

I do agree our midfield is thin.
But i still think we can give that a boost by leaving out a couple of sav,bews,oconnor,tuohy for the bowes/bruhn/knevitt mid that you want (we have the ability to do that and still have a good back 6) and keep ollie in.
What ollie gives you is the ability to turn a tight final in 5 mins with a few score involvements and i think that could be crucial (he might even be the ideal sub if it comes to it).

But i still think we can give that a boost by leaving out a couple of sav,bews,oconnor,tuohy for the bowes/bruhn/knevitt mid that you want (we have the ability to do that and still have a good back 6) and keep ollie in.
What ollie gives you is the ability to turn a tight final in 5 mins with a few score involvements and i think that could be crucial (he might even be the ideal sub if it comes to it).

I’d consider him as a sub for sure. Impact late in the game role.

Reckon you will be close to the mark….but that is very tough for those outs….which of course it what always happens in premiership years. Those 24-30 players are all good enough but can’t be squeezed in. Personally I think O Henry will be sub in best 22 with Guthrie back in.

So to focus on those who miss out…(other than Cegs)

Knevitt, Bruin, Bowes, Mullin, Dempsey, Sav, Simpson, Neale, Jhye, (and other first and second year players not currently in the mix)

Various degrees of “unlucky ness” from those who miss…but I reckon at least half a dozen of them will play in a future premiership!!

i think Bruhn will stay in our top side.

We need his pressure acts which are through the roof.

He deserves to-the issue for tanner is he doesnt really have a 2nd position so once we have more mids back you would need to shuffle the magnets to keep him in. Ie duncan plays in the back 6 and not midfield (ie drop a defender to accomodate) and/or moc goes back or danger also spends some time fwd etc. This becomes an easier equation to keep bruhn in if cuthrie doesnt get back at all this year. But i hope we keep him in he is earning it.

i think Bruhn will stay in our top side.

We need his pressure acts which are through the roof.

Definitely deserves too, but damn he has to compete against Dangerfield, Atkins, Guthrie (if he returns), Blicavs (if you count him as an inside mid) and Bowes as well. It’s a good problem to have but these guys will have to work hard for their spots.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agreed....super-sub!

Agreed....super-sub!

Yeah the sub role is hard because unless theres an early inj you get limited touches so a guy who can impact with 3 or 4 touches like henry i think would be ideal.

I wonder if we could have prolonged Dan Menzel's career as a super-sub..had that option been available

His lack of lateral movement post the recos and lack of defensive ability were issues but you could have masked them more in a sub role.

Yeah the sub role is hard because unless theres an early inj you get limited touches so a guy who can impact with 3 or 4 touches like henry i think would be ideal.

His lack of lateral movement post the recos and lack of defensive ability were issues but you could have masked them more in a sub role.
Don't know about that 8 deg winters night slippery ground coming in cold in the last quarter I think has the potential not to end well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back