Best 22 in 3-4 weeks time

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading into prior socials….getting one for menagola and one for Neale todays suggests strongly to be that both will be going to Perth.
Yes, appears both are in Perth. It would be strange for Menegola to fly home to play VFL. Think Neale could be travelling emerg.

Yes, appears both are in Perth. It would be strange for Menegola to fly home to play VFL. Think Neale could be travelling emerg.
I thought the club often took players from WA with them to WA games even if not going to be selected, so they could catch up with family. With the bye, there is time to get Sam and/or Neale back for vfl if they need game time.

I thought the club often took players from WA with them to WA games even if not going to be selected, so they could catch up with family. With the bye, there is time to get Sam and/or Neale back for vfl if they need game time.
There’s time, but in Menegola’s case it would be odd. What’s the benefit of flying him back to play VFL? Think he will play the Eagles. Think Neale will stay on and not go back for VFL.

FB: BEWS, DE KONING, KOLODJASHNIJ
HB: Z.GUTHRIE, BLICAVS, STEWART
C: DUNCAN, C.GUTHRIE, SMITH
HF: CLOSE, HAWKINS, MIERS
FF: STENGLE, CAMERON, ROHAN
1R: STANLEY, SELWOOD, ATKINS

INT: DANGERFIELD, TUOHY, MENEGOLA, HENRY

VFL: Ceglar, Conway, Dahlhaus, Dempsey, Evans, Higgins, Knevitt, Narkle, Neale, O'Connor, Ratugolea, Stephens, Tsapatolis, Whyte, Williams, Willis.

INJURED: Holmes, Kroeger, Parfitt, Simpson, Stevens.

At this stage I'm ready to put a line through Henry for the season. At least needs to be playing consistently for a month to be considered for finals I'd say and it doesn't look likely. Long term health comes first. I'd be cautious bringing Holmes back too soon either. Give him a block of games at VFL first to build confidence and see if he's knocking the door down. Same for Menegola and Sav. They're coming from a long way back having missed a lot of footy, though it would be nice to have a few additional contested marking options in the team. Miers needs to go back to VFL or be given a different role. I'd be keen to see more of Stephens, Evans, Neale over the next few rounds - maybe some others like Dempsey or even Williams? - guys that have been playing consistently and performing well at the lower level. Narkle should be given a decent crack at it too - but not as sub. It may be now or never and he's had an unlucky injury-interrupted year. It's an important month for some players like that to make their case that they can do the job if called upon in finals. Once July comes around I want us to have a pretty settled line-up if we're going to be there and do anything in September. Have to admit, I'm not holding my breath, but I guess right now we have as good a chance as any in the top 8.

There’s time, but in Menegola’s case it would be odd. What’s the benefit of flying him back to play VFL? Think he will play the Eagles. Think Neale will stay on and not go back for VFL.

Arent the players on break til friday under the CBA? Sam might have just taken his kid home to see family and be coming back on sunday for vfl next week.

Selwood would be top 5 in the best and fairest at this stage. I would be looking to rest him fairly often in the run in though.

I think we can cover him occasionally, though I very much doubt we would have won on Friday without him.
He would not be in the top 10 (partly due to the vagaries of how Geelong do their B&F). He is still in our top 22 though. Its times like the last quarter against the doggies where he still shines. Just need the others to help him prior to his still big moments.

Both are back for training today and tomorrow. But I still think valid that they take them back to perth for game and maybe pinch extra day with family next week

Arent the players on break til friday under the CBA? Sam might have just taken his kid home to see family and be coming back on sunday for vfl next week.
Would be odd. What’s the benefit in doing that? Might as well play WC.

He would not be in the top 10 (partly due to the vagaries of how Geelong do their B&F). He is still in our top 22 though. Its times like the last quarter against the doggies where he still shines. Just need the others to help him prior to his still big moments.
I think he is in our top 5, almost sadly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With last years Carji, the club counted a players best/highest scoring 24 games - so if a player ran out in all 25 games, their lowest scoring game was dropped, and pretty sure that only applied to Hawkins & Bews

That variation will really only come into things later in the season, because obviously if the club is counting the players best 23/24 games (say 1 or 2 less than the clubs total games that season), then votes from all games played will count until they reach that minimum threshold & then the lowest polling game/s will drop off

In the case of Selwood, he's already missed 2 games this season due to management reasons and thus, it's likely all his games will count towards the Carji total. I'm not sure anyone is suggesting Selwood will be winning a 4th Carji, but with his early season form, he could easily be leading after 5 rounds and will likely still be top 5 as we head into the bye - which has what's been suggested

Joel finished 8th in the Carji last season, and he's putting together another sold season - how many games he's managed for over the remainder of the season will likely impact if he holds his spot in the b&f, finishes top 10 or drops out

I think he is in our top 5, almost sadly.

Not sure there's anyone who'd disagree - love the season he's putting together, but would be great to see a few others taking the lead and allowing Joel to be more of the icing rather than still doing the grunt work

Not sure there's anyone who'd disagree - love the season he's putting together, but would be great to see a few others taking the lead and allowing Joel to be more of the icing rather than still doing the grunt work
He still finds a way especially when the team needs to lift, as champions tend to. Hard to fit him in the top 5 this season though, if you look at how people have voted on here in matches so far, ahead of Stewart, Cameron, Blicavs, Guthrie, Hawkins and probably a few others like Tuohy, Stengle, Close, Parfitt even SDK. Thing is, he knows no other way than leading from the front. The real question for me will come if we reach finals again. At times in the past few years, when he can't find a way to exert a physical influence on the contest in a big game, he's given away some undisciplined frees or 50m. At this stage of his career, if he can influence the team more as a calm head than an all-in "who's following me?" sort of captain, it may be for the better in my view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back