Best 22 - Most Underrated Players of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Jayden Short.

WTF is this obsession with people being "mentioned"? Should people really be sitting around talking about Daniel Bradshaw more often? In what context?

Handy player, no doubt. But is he in the top 10 key forwards of the past 20 years? I'd say no. Probably not even the top 15.

How about I write you a song called The Ballad of Daniel Bradshaw? Whenever you feel like he's not being mentioned enough, you can sing it to yourself.

I’ll say this one more time because we are all thinking it.

You - Sweet Jesus - you, you think that someone’s standing in the game as being rated, over or under, is based around their accolades, awards, official acknowledgements, their resume. Fine. That’s your interpretation of it.

Most people here, on this forum: their primary exposure to football culture is through watching the game and hearing commentary, watching football related media, talking to their mates at and about games, and talking on social media or online forums.

The average person in that demographic, that I just mentioned, will make their assessment of who is overrated, underrated etc, on what that player’s perception is like among those arenas.

As such, when people here or on Facebook or on AFL 360 etc talk about, say, the Brisbane Lions of 2001-2004, they talk about the Brownlow medalists, and Brown, and Lynch, and Leppitsch, and Michael (who by comparison I would say is overrated). Often forgotten or overlooked is a player like Daniel Bradshaw who when mentioned, is often glossed over or mentioned as though he’s just a handy addition to the side. Reality was he was a fantastic player and was more than just a handy off sider to Lynch.

The status of a player in the grand popular cultural scheme of the game is not determined by AA nods, brownlows, flags, norm smiths, hall of fame etc. those things by and large are an accurate, quantifiable measure of a player’s contribution to the game.

Essentially, if a dozen random blokes who follow AFL with reasonable passion were having beers at a pub talking about ‘the best five forwards of any size of 2000-2010’ and Brad Johnson doesn’t get discussed, you could safely say ‘Brad Johnson is underrated.’

That’s the definition you are arguing against in this thread and that’s fine, it’s your view, but most people won’t share it.

I’ll say this one more time because we are all thinking it.

You - Sweet Jesus - you, you think that someone’s standing in the game as being rated, over or under, is based around their accolades, awards, official acknowledgements, their resume. Fine. That’s your interpretation of it.

Most people here, on this forum: their primary exposure to football culture is through watching the game and hearing commentary, watching football related media, talking to their mates at and about games, and talking on social media or online forums.

The average person in that demographic, that I just mentioned, will make their assessment of who is overrated, underrated etc, on what that player’s perception is like among those arenas.

As such, when people here or on Facebook or on AFL 360 etc talk about, say, the Brisbane Lions of 2001-2004, they talk about the Brownlow medalists, and Brown, and Lynch, and Leppitsch, and Michael (who by comparison I would say is overrated). Often forgotten or overlooked is a player like Daniel Bradshaw who when mentioned, is often glossed over or mentioned as though he’s just a handy addition to the side. Reality was he was a fantastic player and was more than just a handy off sider to Lynch.

The status of a player in the grand popular cultural scheme of the game is not determined by AA nods, brownlows, flags, norm smiths, hall of fame etc. those things by and large are an accurate, quantifiable measure of a player’s contribution to the game.

Essentially, if a dozen random blokes who follow AFL with reasonable passion were having beers at a pub talking about ‘the best five forwards of any size of 2000-2010’ and Brad Johnson doesn’t get discussed, you could safely say ‘Brad Johnson is underrated.’

That’s the definition you are arguing against in this thread and that’s fine, it’s your view, but most people won’t share it.
Tldr but I'm sure it's devastating.

Tell everyone again how Corey Enright is under-rated despite being AA six times. Because he doesn't get "mentioned" enough.

Is anyone really suprised that nearly 20 years after the Lions won those flags, commentators don't spend that much time barring up over Daniel Bradshaw, the third banana in two of those premiership sides? OMG what a slight on his good name!

How often should anyone reasonably expect him to be "mentioned" a decade after he retired? Just randomly and for no reason, entirely shorn of context?

But sure. It's the perception. The "grand popular cultural scheme", whatever the hell that means. It's the vibe. What a load of rubbish.

Last edited:

Tldr but I'm sure it's devastating.

Tell everyone again how Corey Enright is under-rated despite being AA six times. Because he doesn't get "mentioned" enough.

Didn’t read = can’t, based on some of what you’ve posted previously.

How very alpha of you.
Tell everyone again how Daniel Bradshaw was third forward banana to Lynch, and a guy he kicked 34 more goals than during their four grand final campaigns.

Stop trying to sound like you’re an intellectual giant or something when, judging by that comment, you haven’t even bothered attaining the requisite knowledge to comment on it

Didn’t read = can’t, based on some of what you’ve posted previously.

How very alpha of you.
Tell everyone again how Daniel Bradshaw was third forward banana to Lynch, and a guy he kicked 34 more goals than during their four grand final campaigns.

Stop trying to sound like you’re an intellectual giant or something when, judging by that comment, you haven’t even bothered attaining the requisite knowledge to comment on it
Yeah, Daniel Bradshaw was the third banana in that Lions forwardline. You think he wasn't?

Yeah, Daniel Bradshaw was the third banana in that Lions forwardline. You think he wasn't?

Considering one of the two guys you’re claiming was ahead of him kicked significantly less goals than him, both aggregate and per game aside from2004, yes I would suggest that he was second not third.

Even in 05, 06 and 08 he easily out scored Brown.

So what? Lynch was still the main target in F50. A luxury afforded to Bradshaw.

So how does that make him ‘third banana.’

Be second, then first, in the main measure for a key forward, Sweet Jesus rates you a uniform third across the board.

But your rating as a fan doesn’t count I guess because fan ratings can’t count. That’s the rule.

Lynch was the FF, Brown was the CHF and Bradshaw was the third tall also operating deep.

But sure, we should all be "mentioning" him more often 15 years down the track. Because of the "grand popular cultural scheme". Or something.

Lol.

Translation: I didn’t realise the disparity between their scoreboard output at that stage was so great but don’t want to admit that so I’ll try and argue that Brown was a lot more important at that stage than he actually was.

Mate go lobby for a universal definition of underrated as it clearly worries you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol.

Translation: I didn’t realise the disparity between their scoreboard output at that stage was so great but don’t want to admit that so I’ll try and argue that Brown was a lot more important at that stage than he actually was.
Of course I was aware of that. Brown was a young player but was still preferred at CHF. He operated further from goals so it's hardly surprising he kicked fewer goals.

Mate go lobby for a universal definition of underrated as it clearly worries you.
No need. Let's go with your "grand popular cultural scheme" and the timeless question of whether players get mentioned enough.

Interesting that Bradshaw’s three more prolific seasons as full forward after Lynch retired don’t get addressed either.
Do you think he was among the best 15 key forwards of the past 20 years?

Only his resume matters mate. What the general public thinks doesn’t count.
Aka the "grand popular cultural scheme". Aka the vibe.

Of course I was aware of that. Brown was a young player but was still preferred at CHF. He operated further from goals so it's hardly surprising he kicked fewer goals.

No need. Let's go with your "grand popular cultural scheme" and the timeless question of whether players get mentioned enough.

Why is he the third banana just because he doesn’t have CHF next to his name? You seem pretty happy to ignore the years he had FF next to his name.
Like it or not mate, that’s what most people use to determine whether someone is underrated or not. You don’t have to agree. But it’s reality and you look like a plonker for railing so hard against it

Do you think he was among the best 15 key forwards of the past 20 years?

Aka the "grand popular cultural scheme". Aka the vibe.

Bradshaw?

Ok Franklin, Lloyd, Riewoldt, Riewoldt, Pavlich, Tredrea, Kennedy, Cameron, Hawkins, Fevola, there’s 10 I’d have ahead of him. Brown I think was overrated (cue a debate about what constitutes overrated). Roughead I’d have ahead as well. That would probably be about it.

Bradshaw?

Ok Franklin, Lloyd, Riewoldt, Riewoldt, Pavlich, Tredrea, Kennedy, Cameron, Hawkins, Fevola, there’s 10 I’d have ahead of him. Brown I think was overrated (cue a debate about what constitutes overrated). Roughead I’d have ahead as well. That would probably be about it.
Hall, Richardson, Gehrig, Neitz and Brown.

So not top 15.

But he should be mentioned more, a decade after he finished.

Hall, Richardson, Gehrig, Neitz and Brown.

So not top 15.

But he should be mentioned more, a decade after he finished.

Neitz kicked less goals than him in that period and was never conceding any to a teammate.
Gehrig’s peak was higher but again, kicked a lot less goals.
Richardson also kicked less goals. I would rate Richardson’s post 2000 output as a player in general above Bradshaw’s but not necessarily as a key forward per se.
Brown I’ve already said I think was slightly overrated but he was a fine leader and very good player at any rate. His output was almost identical to Bradshaw’s.

Hall was easily better yes. Regardless it doesn’t have any impact on a discussion about being over or underrated

Neitz kicked less goals than him in that period and was never conceding any to a teammate.
Gehrig’s peak was higher but again, kicked a lot less goals.
Richardson also kicked less goals. I would rate Richardson’s post 2000 output as a player in general above Bradshaw’s but not necessarily as a key forward per se.
Neitz kicked 60+ in a season four times and averaged more than two goals a game over the course of his career. As for "conceding goals to a teammate", Robertson was also in that forwardline, kicking 30-40 pretty regularly. Check your facts.

Gehrig also averaged two goals a game over the course of his career, despite spending a chunk of it as a defender, and was one of the dominant key forwards in the comp for a period. He kicked a ton and won two Colemans.

If you think Bradshaw has Richardson covered then you're high.

Bradshaw kicked 60+ in a season just once and averaged under two goals a game across his career.

So no, those guys have him covered. He's not top 15 among key forwards in the past 20 years but yeah he should be "mentioned" more, 10 years after he retired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back